Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: running out of knee options, euflexxa prescribed [dforbes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have my injection appointments scheduled for jan 9, 16, 24...I'll keep you all posted. Thanks for replies in PM's...I appreciate all the feedback.

The Rat Snake:
A Tribute Race at Gilbert Lake State Park, Laurens, NY May 16 2015
Follow the Rat Snake on Twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, had synvisc left knee ready to have right done now. Had previous meniscus surgery on each knee, one ten years ago and other three years ago. No swelling since injection. One or two more IM's, then perhaps just bike and swim=no need to push the knee replacement(s) too soon. Still have an itch to scratch.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On the same line of the unloaders...you could always look at osteotomies for both legs. ;-)

mmm-mmm-Momo Charms
Handmade beverage charms, jewelry, and miscellanea

http://momocharms.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Re: running out of knee options, euflexxa prescribed [mmrocker13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have osteoarthritis in my left knee. Surgeon told me not to run anymore...Second opinion, ended up getting an unloader knee brace and taking celebrex....That was about 5 years ago and 9 Ironman finishes....Not as fast as I used to be, but, still going strong....and still doing Ironman....Good luck
Quote Reply
Re: running out of knee options, euflexxa prescribed [ninetoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How bulky is it? I have one for the right knee, but after PT and getting back into running, Dr. said I didn't need it anymore. I must say it was very difficult to run in for me anyway, and to do 13.1 or 26.2 miles, you're a tough bastard!!! Another thing is cost....my insurance didn't cover much of the last brace I got, they are freaking expensive! On celebrex now, just started....waiting, waiting! Is celebrex something that works right away for you, or did it take some time? Thanks!!!

ninetoe wrote:
I have osteoarthritis in my left knee. Surgeon told me not to run anymore...Second opinion, ended up getting an unloader knee brace and taking celebrex....That was about 5 years ago and 9 Ironman finishes....Not as fast as I used to be, but, still going strong....and still doing Ironman....Good luck

The Rat Snake:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had 2 out of the 3 Supratz shots. The shot itself hurt a bit and I've had some more swelling and irritation since the first shot. Doc said it takes about 4 weeks to notice any difference. I don't think that I will find any great relief because I don't have bad osteoarthritis yet. The "noise"/crepitus in my knee seems less since getting the shots though.
Quote Reply
Re: running out of knee options, euflexxa prescribed [runninginaz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For those with osteochondral defects, there is a new technique that repairs articular cartilage defects. It is juvenile allograft cartilage tissue that fills the defect.

For those with early osteoarthritis or knee pain with high impact activities like running, consider the use of an Alter-G treadmill. Check your local PT offices to see who has one. We have used the alter-g for many of our athletes who are rehabbing and those who can't tolerate high volume/frequency running with good results.

John
(PA-C in Orthopaedics)

J
https://jashilt.blogspot.com
2012 Wattie Ink. Elite Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
had my first injection today...said I would post so I did...nothing to mention really. Drained the knee before injection, that hurt the most, but when I say hurt, it was uncomfortable. I was told no restrictions, so I won't restrict! Been on the rollers anyway. 2 more to go. We'll see. My main concern is the swelling and if it will ever dissipate.

The Rat Snake:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Second injection yesterday....my knee was pretty sore from this one, but I've also been working pretty hard on the rollers, they've had to drain my knee again, and I have to believe that jamming a needle in my knee once a week will make it sore.

The Rat Snake:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been where you are and now am back to cycling only. Quite frankly I don't miss the running one bit, still like to swim. At some point your ortho may say 'why not just ride and swim, otherwise you are going to be a cripple at 60.' 6 months after I quit running my knees felt like I was 20 again. AquaBike!

FWIW I'm right knee x 2 and left knee needs bucket handle tear nipped. The injury that pushed me over the edge was articular cart damage starting to show up....I bagged it then. As long as I ride....zero issues:)
Last edited by: tigerpaws: Jan 17, 12 5:47
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's my opinion: Give the injections a chance to work, stop working hard on the rollers, your knee doesn't tolerate it that's why you need injections.
Quote Reply
Re: running out of knee options, euflexxa prescribed [JRAJR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hear you there....whats bothering me is that he keeps telling me no restrictions....

The Rat Snake:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Had my final injection on Tuesday. Of course they had to drain the knee, again. Dr. told me to give it a month for full effects and that hopefully it lasts from anywhere from 6-12 months. Who knows, its tough to be optimistic at this point as I have the swelling back in my knee already and I haven't worked out in almost 2 weeks. I just didn't realize that arthritis causes this much swelling. Again, hardly no pain at all, haven't tried any kind of impact on it, just biking since the surgery in September. Frustrating. I was told, yes, again, that the arthritis under the knee cap is pretty bad to the point of being bone on bone. And blood in the drained fluid again.

The Rat Snake:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can you post an update? I'm in the same boat as you. Everything I do swells the knee. The doc said no running, but go ahead and swim and bike and use the elliptical trainer. Great idea in theory, but swimming hurts like hell (kicking hurts the bad knee) and causes it to swell. Elliptical trainering causes it to swell. And when it's swollen, biking becomes really difficult, because I can't push hard with that leg. A cortisone shot I had back in January worked great, but wore off after about 2 months. Had a Synvisc injection last week and have two more scheduled. Did the Euflexxa do you any good? I'm at the point where I'd be happy if I could do everything BUT run. Never thought I'd ever say that, but when you reach a point where every type of aerobic exercise sends sharp pain through your knee and causes it to swell, you are more inclined to say, "Okay, okay. I'll stop running, but can I possibly do everything else I love to do without pain?" Where are you at now with your knee?
Quote Reply
Re: running out of knee options, euflexxa prescribed [Eileen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sorry I havent posted. I dont see hardly any difference after a couple of months from the last injection. Swelling has gone down some, but arthritis still hurts when i dont take celebrex. I wish you the best of luck...i've found that consistency on it whether biking running or both works best with anti inflammatories and ice. sorry!

The Rat Snake:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My ortho told me to stop running and give up Triathlon back in 2005 when he cleaned up a torn meniscus and discovered a big hole in my articular cartilage.. I told him we need a differnt answer. I received syn-Visc injections for about 3 years and then had an allergic reaction of sorts to and switched over to euflexa ever since. I believe I have had 63 injections now (21 cycles). Since then I've completed another 80+ triathlons including 7 more IM (including KOna), lots of bike and run races and climbed a number of big mountains. I just ran 42 miles last week. Knee feels pretty good but from time to time I have problems. I run and trails and at the beach on packed sand. I ice it and generally take care of it best as I can. I see no reason I can't keep doing this for 5+ more years. Without the injections, I can't run more than 5 miles in a week.

I'm 55 by the way...the stuff is a godsend!

rc

Randy Christofferson(http://www.rcmioga.blogspot.com

Insert Doubt. Erase Hope. Crush Dreams.
Quote Reply
Re: running out of knee options, euflexxa prescribed [rcmioga] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am 58 and set to get my first Euflexxa injection next week. How are your knees doing?

Anyone have any positive stories you can share?
Quote Reply

Prev Next