Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 50 yards in 35 seconds. [gonzobob] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"So why isn't a slower swimmer said to be "lapped" until the faster swimmer is two laps ahead? :D"

Why do we park in driveways and drive in parkways?

Cause that's just the way it is.....
Quote Reply
Re: 50 yards in 35 seconds. [bcreager] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm curious, for you guys that swam 100's in the 45 to 50 second range, for training, what would you do your 100 yd intervals in........let's for a set of 10? What would you come in on? What would you leave on?

People I've loved, I have no regrets
Some I remember, some I forget
Some of them living, some of them dead
All I want is to be home ".....Foo Fighters, Home

Quote Reply
Re: 50 yards in 35 seconds. [FooFighterFan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My two "favorite" sets were as follows:

3x(7x100) on 1:07 with 2:00 rest in between (coming in anywhere between 1:00 and 1:06.

Lactate sets. 6 swimmers, 5 of which have to meet a prescribed time (mine was around 50.00, our 2 sprinters had to go sub 49.00) for the 100 to 'count.' We swam until we counted 15, if that makes sense. If only 3 or 4 make their time, the 100 doesn't count, and the team is still 15 away from ending the set.

That set was really shitty.

My real favorite set was 'sharks and minos.'
Quote Reply
Re: 50 yards in 35 seconds. [eganski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
32 seconds - pushing off the wall - breast stroke in '79.

Never could break 26 seconds freestyle no matter what I did.

Jay
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
most of the time we didn't do 100s, since it was the distance group. But when we did, we took 15-30s rest depending on how fast we were going.....or we did "wash out", which is what we called swimming until you can't make the interval. So we would do 100's, starting on the 1:30, then after 5, subtract 5 seconds.....so then 5 on the 1:25....etc.

Most of our sets were High Volume sets, 10 x 200, 5 x 500, stuff like that.....for most of this stuff, we took 15 seconds rest

In scy, for thershold (aerobic zone 2/3) I would hold right around 1:00 for the hundred. So 200 repeats would be holding 1:55-2:05, on the 2:15 or 2:20

-bcreager
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I never broke 50 in the 100 although I never swam it shaved and only swam it in dual meets in college after swimming the 1000 and the 500. I did manage to swim a set of 10 x 100 on 1:05 in HS once, coming in between 1:00 and 1:03 during the set. But, I'm not sure how much of a correlation you would see between times during a set of 100s in practice and times in a meet. I could more or less keep up with the guy leading my lane in HS during sets of 100s even though he swam 45 flat in HS and 43.5 in college. Of course, when we were swimming really fast with lots of rest, he would be far in front of me.

My best 50 was when I was 15 when I did a 23.5 with a relay start during a summer league meet. We had about ten guys on my HS team that could break 23 so my coach never entered me in anything except the 500 in HS, and I never raced the 50 in college. I did kick a 50 in 31 once in college.
Quote Reply
Re: 50 yards in 35 seconds. [CTL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My best time for a 50 was 21.7. I was always a sprinter but one time I was picked as cannon fodder for a 500 against the guy that held every swim record for the other team. I was glad that he only lapped me once! He later went on to be an olympic alternate. My favorite set was called massive sprints. It was continous 25's but you had to get out of the water each length for a standing start, go as hard as you could and repeat with no rest. Try that for an hour and see how many you can do.
Quote Reply
Re: 50 yards in 35 seconds. [Good, OK, Bad]? [occy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
35 seconds off the wall for a triathlete isn't bad IMO. That 's fast enough that your IM swim could be a good deal faster. I can swim 30-31 off the wall, do 1500m in about 22-23min with wetsuit. Can break 30 but I need a dive to do it..

"It is a good feeling for old men who have begun to fear failure, any sort of failure, to set a schedule for exercise and stick to it. If an aging man can run a distance of three miles, for instance, he knows that whatever his other failures may be, he is not completely wasted away." Romain Gary, SI interview
Quote Reply
Re: 50 yards in 35 seconds. [Kagemusha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
times are from about 20 years ago

50 - 21,4

100 - 47.8

200 - 1.47.3

500 = 4.41.5

1000 - 9.38.X (1650 split)

1650 - 16:02.x

200 IM - 1:55

400 IM 4.08.x

after two years training I have gone 53.54 IM

Really for an IM swim it is not how fast you can go for 1 - 50, 100 or 200 - rather how fast a consistent pace can you hold for many 50s, 100s or 200s - combine that with some 2000 to 4000 TT.

swimming a quick 50 is fun - but really not what tri swim training is all about

http://www.clevetriclub.com

rob reddy
Quote Reply
Re: 50 yards in 35 seconds. [Haim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I understand that -- I guess what I meant was, if someone can knock out a 50 faster than me or someone else, s/he must have better form and/or more power. So, with a little endurance training, which presumably this hypothetical swimmer is doing to race an Ironman, s/he should swim faster than 1:20 -- I guess that was my point.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Top 10 for the 50yd free this season for the 10&unders around here ranged from 29.8 to 31.3. My 8yo son did a 34.9 - his mom can beat him, his dad cannot.

_________
kangaroo -- please do not read or respond to any of my posts
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I swam competitive (summer-only) from ages 13 to 15. This was low-level competition in neighborhood pools where the coach was whichever dad owned a whistle. My 50 scy PR was 28.1 at age 15. Hardly the stuff of real swimmers.

The best I have mustered up in the last few years was a 35 from a wall start (but I beat all the pro women, and half the pro men, at Ralph's in 2002, the last time I did proper swim training).

I'm working hard to get some of that mojo back before CDA.
Last edited by: Ashburn: Apr 5, 05 14:34
Quote Reply

Prev Next