Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Testing for optimum cadence? [Gary Tingley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, I'm 6', and race at about 78kg *without* the bike. Plus, I'm also a swimmer (this is a triathlon forum, right?), so I've got some shoulders. I'm surprised that someone who is my height and lighter, and who strives mightily to be aero, needs ~8% more power to go the same speed. Maybe it's my taped-over helmet that makes the difference...

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Testing for optimum cadence? [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Well, I'm 6', and race at about 78kg *without* the bike. Plus, I'm also a swimmer (this is a triathlon forum, right?), so I've got some shoulders. I'm surprised that someone who is my height and lighter, and who strives mightily to be aero, needs ~8% more power to go the same speed. Maybe it's my taped-over helmet that makes the difference...

I'm 6' and about 72 kilos. I manage about 23.3 mph on 235 watts with race wheels. I think that is about the limit of what I can do and still hold a long-course bike position. All that's left from here is more fitness.
Quote Reply
Re: Testing for optimum cadence? [Ashburn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I spent years "forcing" a 90-95 cadence all the time. When I got a power meter and started focusing on power and PE instead, I found that my best cadence was down around 80 for steady-state riding. Only when I'm moving into a maximal <5 minute effort do I find that fast cadences are helpful."

Ashburn- I've been thinking this same thing for a couple years. I've been holding 90-95 rpm in races, time trials, and intervals for years with the understanding that it needs to become my optimal cadence, if it wasn't optimal already. I've noticed that my cadence drops to the mid 80s during the last few grueling minutes of my cp30 tests just to hold on to that targeted wattage until the end. I've also noticed that big gear intervals at 60 rpm and cp30 feel surprisingly easy for me- maybe even easier than same power at 90rpm.

Did you notice a change in your running splits, pace, or PE after these lower cadence efforts (if you're a triathlete/duathlete). I'd like to start focusing my cadence at 85rpm in an effort to go faster, but I don't want to sacrifice my runs splits.
Quote Reply
Re: Testing for optimum cadence? [swimbike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Did you notice a change in your running splits, pace, or PE after these lower cadence efforts (if you're a triathlete/duathlete). I'd like to start focusing my cadence at 85rpm in an effort to go faster, but I don't want to sacrifice my runs splits.

It's hard for me to separate out post-cadence-change running results. My running has been on a positive track for 2 years now, so I would be setting run leg PR's anyway.

With that disclaimer, I will say that I am running better than ever off the bike. At the very least, I would say the lower cadences are not holding me back. My triathlon/duathlon run paces are consistent with my open run paces.

One reason I suggest that people tape over their cadence display and focus on watts and PE is that we want to find the best combination of power and fatigue resistance. I have the sense that the cadence that brings my PE at a given wattage to a minimum is the cadence that leaves my legs most fresh for the run.

If you want to make a change, make the change and give it six weeks. Six weeks is enough time to know if something is going to work (our bodies adapt remarkably quickly). Run careful tests before and after and try to decide which cadence is best.
Quote Reply

Prev Next