Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How do you pee on the bike?
Quote | Reply
First time in a HIM and IM this year. How do you ST'ers get rid of the excess in perpetual motion? Serious question.
Quote Reply
Re: How do you pee on the bike? [the sheik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just let it go and rinse off with some water from your bottle. Works great for getting drafter off your wheel.

Ron

----------

Quote Reply
Re: How do you pee on the bike? [swmrdrn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]Just let it go and rinse off with some water from your bottle. Works great for getting drafter off your wheel.

Ron[/reply]

Makes your shoes stink.....

I shall never misuse Rex Kwon Do
I shall be a champion of freedom and justice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Its also easier to do it when going down a hill as you can relax and maintain some speed, definately make sure you use vaseline around the sensitive areas and use lots of water to rinse off, and YES your shoes do stink like hell

Trizilla...My local bike shop a few thousand Ks away

Speed Hurts ...How fast do you want to go
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just lean the bike up against something, aim and fire. Long term, it's probably not good for the paint. :) sorry, couldn't resist.
Quote Reply
Re: How do you pee on the bike? [nimbleblade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Also clean your bike as soon as possible as it gets everywhere and can lead to some expensive repairs if you forget or can't be bothered, I figured by not stopping I saved about 10-15 minutes in an IM bike leg, I used to stop a good few times.

Trizilla...My local bike shop a few thousand Ks away

Speed Hurts ...How fast do you want to go
Last edited by: nimbleblade: Mar 3, 05 0:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I haven't ever tried to pee while riding, but it isn't too hard to pee while coasting. Usually you can find a nice subtle downgrade, or even an unpopulated flat. You stand up on the pedals, with your left leg at 6o'clock. Twist your upper body a full 90 degrees to the left, pull down your shorts with your left hand (we're assuming you are a boy and aren't wearing bib-shorts.), keeping the right on the handlebars for steering, and let her rip as far left as you can. The wind (riding at 10+ mph) is enough to carry the stream out and away from you though you will still get a bunch of dripping. I find the hardest part getting it all going right in the middle of exhertion without a urinal to stare at, so maybe practice in training before your race.

good luck.

Wearing depends will also work and provide ample padding for th ride. :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stop pedalling

Apply your brakes

Pull over to the side of the road

Do the deed

Get back on bike

Pedal
Quote Reply
Re: How do you pee on the bike? [Smitty8] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Close, but not quite. I think it goes like this:

Find the nearest public pool.

Stop pedalling

Apply your brakes

Pull up to the side of the pool

Pee in the pool

Pedal away

Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I haven't ever tried to pee while riding, but it isn't too hard to pee while coasting. Usually you can find a nice subtle downgrade, or even an unpopulated flat. You stand up on the pedals, with your left leg at 6o'clock. Twist your upper body a full 90 degrees to the left, pull down your shorts with your left hand (we're assuming you are a boy and aren't wearing bib-shorts.), keeping the right on the handlebars for steering, and let her rip as far left as you can. The wind (riding at 10+ mph) is enough to carry the stream out and away from you though you will still get a bunch of dripping. I find the hardest part getting it all going right in the middle of exhertion without a urinal to stare at, so maybe practice in training before your race.

good luck.

Wearing depends will also work and provide ample padding for th ride. :-)

What happens if you're in this compromised position, shorts down and dick swinging in the breeze and you hit a pothole and get spit off the bike.

I can just picture the scene. Paramedics find unconscious cyclist flat on his back in the middle of the road with his shorts around his knees, his mickey in his hand and piss all over his legs.

Its no wonder people think we're weird.

----------------------------------------------------------
"A society is defined not only by what it creates, but by what it refuses to destroy."
John Sawhill
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I stop the bike. Get off and go pee behind the nearest tree. It's not like I'm in contention for the fastest IM bike split.

Now somebody should start a "how do you poop on the bike?" thread.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
slow down. stop. get off bike. go to bushes. pull down pants. pee. mount bike. ride like hell.
Quote Reply
Re: How do you pee on the bike? [MattinSF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
they can get a hot dog bun from the local mini-mart......put the pee-pee in the bun..... drive it to the hospital..........re-attatch it..... and call it a day....

"pee-pee's big adventure"....... it worked for john wanye-bobbitt
Quote Reply
Re: How do you pee on the bike? [BenDavis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I find it easier to roll up the right leg of my shorts and "go" through the leg hole instead of over the top.

Sorry to be so graphic and yes I did have to practice on some very rural roads.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will NOT mention any names or teams, BUT............they're starting to use catheters!!! The tube is long enough to clear the shorts and makes NO mess on your bike or shoes when used properly!!

Paul
Quote Reply
Re: How do you pee on the bike? [getting-old] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, called condom catheters - no explanation necessary. The tube goes through a hole in the suit designed just for it. Very popular with dry suit scuba divers doing cave dives and such. http://www.divetekadventures.com/Technical_PeeValves.htm

Depends are popular for dry suit diving as well.

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Only done up to HIM, but IMO, the thing to aim for is not to pee on the bike. If your fluid intake matches yoru needs then you should be ok from T1 to T2.

For IM, of course...well, I've heard it's like a geyser field out there!

kiwipat

per ardua ad astra
Quote Reply
Re: How do you pee on the bike? [Boz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome reply I almost pissed on the computer!
Quote Reply
Re: How do you pee on the bike? [kiwipat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe I overhydrate, but I have to pee on the bike during a sprint! Let alone a halfie. :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As a bike pee'er, my friends call me the wizzard. All you need is a little hill or tailwind. Stand and turn to the side, with the freehand, pull down the shorts and let it go. I amazed a guy at IM wisc as I was going quite fast and had to negotiate a right hander. I had to go so bad and there were spectators up ahead, so I had to brake a little as not to get any closer than a quarter mile. In more sophisticated bunch races, (well maybe less?) you can pee off the side and someone will push you on the other so you don't loose the back of the bunch. Well hydrated exercise pee is so clear and 99.9% water (.01 EPO) that I fear not my pee. I pissed my shorts once and that caused bad things, pee not your shorts. If the race is short, pee in the lake like everyone else.
Quote Reply
Re: How do you pee on the bike? [marko16] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've never peed on my bike but I did let one rip while running a marathon a couple of years ago. I was in second place and closing on the leader and there was no way I was stopping to piss behind a tree so I improvised and took a squirt while holding about a 6:15 mile pace. Luckily there weren't any spectators around.

I didn't get too much on myself either but by the finish I was smelling a bit ripe and went and stood in a nearby river for a few minutes to clean off.

I think I'd draw the line at #2 though. I don't think I could pull an Uta Pippig in public...maybe if it was Boston with a six figure check at stake, but not for a plastic trophy and a pair of shoes.

----------------------------------------------------------
"A society is defined not only by what it creates, but by what it refuses to destroy."
John Sawhill
Last edited by: MattinSF: Mar 2, 05 20:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sheik,

I guess I'm just not that competitive.

I'd prefer the comfort of riding "dry" and not smelling like a urinal at the cost of a few seconds and a nature break off the bike.

A chamois soaked in pee or cycling shoes moistened with piss that has run down your legs can't do anything to help your foot health or the life of your cycling shoes.

I find it hard to believe that you would do as well emptying your bladder on the bike vs standing upright in the "traditional position." Afterwards, I would think you would perform better if for no other reason than the comfort factor.

My personal experience includes some 100 mile road races where I raced and hydrated without urination. It was warm and there was a fair amount of perspiration but it wasn't too humid that it wouldn't evaporate to help keep one comfortable.

I almost begin to think that the faster one rides, and maybe this equates with the harder one exerts themself, the kidneys, to a degree produce less urine for an extended period of time after which time they may kick into overdrive to catch up and address the imbalance in the bloodstream. This is a common phenomenon when sleeping.

I/2 IM distance shouldn't even be three hours on the bike. The Full IM distance on the bike should be just over 5 hours. Practice pacing your effort so you can finish strong and start the run strong as well.

You may just need to train to enable you to complete your distance in the "window" of reduced urine production. The harder you ride, the more you will perspire your liquid waste out of your system. Effectively managing nutrition and hydration for these time periods is no less important and may do more to enable you to succeed and attain your performance goal much more so than whether you pee on the bike vs off the bike.

This raises another interesting question, how do you pee when running?

Just my 2 cents. FWIW.

Ben Cline

Better to aspire to Greatness and fail, than to not challenge one's self at all, and succeed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I always thought that the put the swim first so we can relieve ourselves of any excess fluid, stroke stroke, coast, hmmmm, warmth, stroke stroke. As opposed to the peeing off the bike, I do not reconmend practicing this during pool training.
Quote Reply