Breaking Away

12 Angry Men

The Right Stuff

Mississippi Burning

North by Northwest

Witness

Almost Famous

Stand and Deliver

But having read the thread must also put hand up for Shawshank, When Harry met Sally, Saving Private Ryan and from recent viewing Million Dollar Baby.

"That which we achieve too easily, we esteem too lightly "Thomas Paine
Quote Reply
Re: all-time favorite movies [TomAnnapolis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
got to add some personal faves that i haven't seen mentioned:

Unforgiven (Deserve's got nothin' to do with it)

Requiem for a Dream
Hey, I'd already mentioned those!
Quote Reply
Re: all-time favorite movies [jaylew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1) Shawshank Redemption - Freeman is the master.

in no particular order

Seven - explores some dark recesses of the human mind that does!

Goodfellas - Tony two times is off to get the papers, get the papers.

The Nutty Professor - Eddie Murphy's dining room scene's some of the funniest ever captured on film.

Life is beautiful - had me crying like a little baby.

Predator - "I'm afraid Dutch" "Bullshit! I know you Billy...your afraid of no man." "There's something out there... and it ain't no man." - pure adrenalin and testosterone. Watching this movie 10 mins before a race should be banned as performance enhancing!

The Godfather - Marlon dishes out acting lessons to the up and coming wannabes.

Full Metal Jacket - there is only 2 things that come from Texas Tibbs!

Debbie does Dallas - the best thing from Texas.

silence of the Lambs - calm terror.
Quote Reply
Re: all-time favorite movies [TomAnnapolis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Requiem for a Dream? Bad, bad movie, just because it's got realistic images doesn't make it good... and talk about lack of a naked Jennifer Collins! :-p

-
"Yeah, no one likes a smartass, but we all like stars" - Thom Yorke

smartasscoach.tri-oeiras.com
Quote Reply
Re: all-time favorite movies [kittycat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1. Airplane!

2. Naked Gun

3. Hot Shots

4. Spaceballs

5. Edward Scissorhands

6. Edward Penishands (just kidding, though there really was an adult movie by that name)

real 6. A Christmas Story

7. Wrongfully Accused

8. Breaking Away

9. Slapshot

10. The Godfather

11. Fiddler on the Roof
Quote Reply
Re: all-time favorite movies [fredly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
M? it's a 1931 movie from Fritz Lang. a big classic...a must see if you haven't already...are you referring to an other one?

In the french movies, I really want to see 'a very long engagement' (un long dimanche de fiancailles) with (same team as Amelie)...I know it was released in some cities in the US but clearly not everywhere...

37.2 was great.
Quote Reply
Re: all-time favorite movies [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Francois,

Yup - that's the "M" I'm referring to.

"A Very Long Engagement" Is currently in theatres here in Seattle - on my list to see; I enjoyed the novel, although I hear the film is quite different (as is inevitable, I guess...)

I understand this book was a gigantic hit in France?

Tech writer/support on this here site. FIST school instructor and certified bike fitter. Formerly at Diamondback Bikes, LeMond Fitness, FSA, TiCycles, etc.
Coaching and bike fit - http://source-e.net/ Cyclocross blog - https://crosssports.net/ BJJ instruction - https://ballardbjj.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I actually read a LOT but never heard of the book...but then if it was released after we left (in 99) that could explain.
The movie was a huge hit (at the french scale)...as most movies of JP Jeunet.
I wish El Paso was showing other things that the traditional blockbusters....

About books/movies...being a huge fan of the iliad and the Odyssey, Troy was a major disappointment...no reference to the involvement of the Gods in the conflict when this is the major point of the book...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Someone mentioned earlier - one I forgot that is a classic is Flatliners - how anyone can make a believable movie about a bunch of college kids in medical school who experiment with stopping and starting their hearts to experience death - is just flat out brilliant direction and production. Great cast as well.

People I've loved, I have no regrets
Some I remember, some I forget
Some of them living, some of them dead
All I want is to be home ".....Foo Fighters, Home

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think that Troy was one of the worst movies of all time.

If you are going to do a film version of perhaps the greatest story of all time, one would think that you might perhaps use that story, rather than just the title, and some mutilated vrsion of some of the characters...

Leaving the gods out was obviously a gigantic gaffe - but how about the fact that no mention was ever made of Achilles' semi-invulnerability? WTF? Isn't the fact that he cannot possibly be defeated by a human opponent - especially Hector - kind of important? And then he hitches a ride in the horse for the final assault? Again, WTF? If Achilles is alive, they don't even need the horse...

Worst movie of at least the last 10 years...

Tech writer/support on this here site. FIST school instructor and certified bike fitter. Formerly at Diamondback Bikes, LeMond Fitness, FSA, TiCycles, etc.
Coaching and bike fit - http://source-e.net/ Cyclocross blog - https://crosssports.net/ BJJ instruction - https://ballardbjj.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, Achilles never enters Troy. Paris shoots an arrow in his heel way before the end of the 10 years...(an other detail...the siege is 10 whole years...not 10 days...)

How about the apple and the 3 goddesses? what happened to that?

Agamemnon's character is plain wrong...he is a very right person in the book and some kind of warmonger in Troy.

But what's amazing is that they can wreck this film with the director and amazing cast they have...

you really have to thank the screenplay writer and producers for such a mess because the rest of the team has proven they can do a great job...
Quote Reply

Prev Next