Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Palomar "Slowtwitch" training ride, Monday, 1/16 [Ashburn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ran the worn Hutchison (use it on the trainer daily) at 120 PSI, and it felt slippery.

I come from a MTB racing background and can usually fly down hills on the road, but for some reason the rear of the bike didn't "stick" like I was used to.

Of course this was like my 4th time on the road with it.

I may use a different tire and 110 PSI next time.
Quote Reply
Re: Palomar "Slowtwitch" training ride, Monday, 1/16 [Gary Tingley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
According to Analyticcycling, at 11.7 miles and a 7% avg grade, with a 300w avg and 195lbs for the rider/bike/helmet/clothes/gear/water (fully loaded), you could ride it in 1:10.

Yeah, I've been playing on that site too. However, I've been typing in that it's a 6.475% grade, which it would indeed be if it's exactly a 4,000' rise. 313w avg., @82kg.(minimal fluids, gear, and no cookies the night before, well, maybe one or two), has me breaking 60' (i've always been a dreamer), while 287w avg. would be 65' and 263w avg. points to a 70' ascent. This of course is unless it's windy. I love that site, it provides countless hours of virtual dreaming. I think we're the same weight Gary, where are you getting 195 from, just a generic number?

By the way Gary, the Vredestein Tri-Comp's that Jason was on are an outstanding tire if you are cyber-shopping for a set. They'll descend at 130-145psi with excellent confidence.
Last edited by: Sojourner: Jan 19, 05 6:23
Quote Reply
Re: Palomar "Slowtwitch" training ride, Monday, 1/16 [Sojourner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
This is gearing up to sound like it could be an actual race. I'm stoked. Jason's obviously in good shape, Gary's talking about holding 300-330 watts for 35 minutes, which equates to what, about 300 watts for the whole climb paced correctly? MikeP sounds like he's shooting for 300 watts or so, if I read the above post right. MikeB was making me push 280-300 just to hang on around Christmas after having not trained much, I think. I havn't heard if the ringer (Francois) is still coming, anybody know? If I had any "real life" friends to add to the mix I'd invite them, but alas, there is only Monkeybump/Lutz, who has transcended sport and moved to the higher plane of couch potatoism (not related to taoism).
Well, I'll mention that if I do wind up going down on the 30th, I'll probably be bringing my IMBrazil training partner. He also went down with me on Monday and was the one guy ahead of me. He went like 1:10 or 1:11 and certainly wasn't going all out. He's also a bit of a mountain goat, and could probably give an in-shape and rested Plumb a run for his money.
Last edited by: jaylew: Jan 19, 05 9:00
Quote Reply
Re: Palomar "Slowtwitch" training ride, Monday, 1/16 [Sojourner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Joe,

Will you PowerCranks have a triple??? ;) And I'm pretty sure that the ride on the 24th was my first or second ride since SOMA (Oct. 31) - so definitely no training before then.

And Mike Plumb, I'm not going to do GMR on the 29th. I've spent way too much time in my truck the last month and half driving back and forth from Mammoth. I'm going to stay local on the 29th and ride around town.

Mike

TheBikeRacer.com
Quote Reply
Re: Palomar "Slowtwitch" training ride, Monday, 1/16 [mwbyrd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll see you guys out there tomorrow morning. Last week was my first club ride of the year and I've been sick with a horrible cold since then (a sign from the tri-gods??). I'm chomping at the bit to get out there again.

See you in the dark at B&L.

http://www.churchofcycling.org
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Sojourner [ In reply to ]
Re: Palomar "Slowtwitch" training ride, Monday, 1/16 [BallPrkRat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
what time do they pull out from B&L these days? I've heard conflicting times.

Mike Plumb, TriPower MultiSports
Professional Running, Cycling and Multisport Coaching, F.I.S.T. Certified
http://www.tripower.org
Quote Reply
Re: Palomar "Slowtwitch" training ride, Monday, 1/16 [mwbyrd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
<< And Mike Plumb, I'm not going to do GMR on the 29th.

I'm not going to either, not since they moved the club duathlon to the 29th. Hopefully that won't take too much away from riding Palomar the next day.

Mike Plumb, TriPower MultiSports
Professional Running, Cycling and Multisport Coaching, F.I.S.T. Certified
http://www.tripower.org
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Joe,

Baldy is tough. Mike and I rode it with Jaylew's crew last fall and we were zigzagging up that thing. That's crazy.

You do realize that the only reason I want you on PC's is because that's the only way i'll be able to keep you in sight.

Mike - I think we got off around 6:10 Tuesday morning. It's still DARK. Officially, the ride starts at 6.

Hmmm....I'm thinking about the club race also. But that means you get to kick my butt twice in January in two days. That won't be good for the 'ol ego!

Mike

TheBikeRacer.com
Quote Reply
Re: Palomar "Slowtwitch" training ride, Monday, 1/16 [Mike Plumb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
they moved the club duathlon to the 29th. Hopefully that won't take too much away from riding Palomar the next day.

Yikes! I wasn't counting on that. It definitely turns the 30th into a long ride-with-big-climb day instead of a race.

See you the 29th. Should be fast and furious.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
as I pmed you, there is a very very big chance that I will be interviewing for a job the friday before or the monday after in which case I won't come. I am already interviewing the following week end.
If there is a chance for me to make it then I will. But job first...if I count on racing to pay bills, I am in trouble...gonna have to join tibbs's team :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Palomar "Slowtwitch" training ride, Monday, 1/16 [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like rain on the 30th on Palomar:

Sunrise: 6:44 am UV Index: 4, Moderate Sunset: 5:17 pm
Moonrise: 10:25 pm Phase: Waning Gibbous Moonset: 9:39 am

Averages and Records for Jan 30 Sunday:
Scattered Showers

http://www.intellicast.com/...av=none&pid=none
Quote Reply
Re: Palomar "Slowtwitch" training ride, Monday, 1/16 [Gary Tingley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That'll only make it more fun to ride. Well, at least on the way up.

Increasing awareness for suffers of DGS (Diminished Gluteal Syndrome).
Quote Reply
Re: Palomar "Slowtwitch" training ride, Monday, 1/16 [UCSD racer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
That'll only make it more fun to ride. Well, at least on the way up.
Are you going to make it? By the way, I checked out accuweather.com's page and they are predicting it to be sunny on the 30th.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would like to be there, but my team may have other plans for me. I've just started going out to Palomar with a teammate on Friday's to do repeats and it was pretty nice. The weather predictions have been quite variable, but even if it were to it hit, it won't hit hard.

Increasing awareness for suffers of DGS (Diminished Gluteal Syndrome).
Quote Reply

Prev Next