Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

An audit of the subject matter of my posts since November 29, 2004
Quote | Reply
Audit performed as follows:
  1. There are two categories: "Bikesport specific Sales Oriented" and "General Triathlon or Other Oriented"
  2. Differentiation between the two is based on an examination of the "Subject" line in the history of my posts available by clicking on my name, then selecting "Show user's posts".
  3. A "Bikesport specific Sales Oriented" post is loosely determined to be any post that contains mention or reference to any product sold, displayed or inventoried at Bikesport, Inc.- regardless of whether or not the written text is a solicitation for a sale of product to be conducted directly at Bikesport, Inc. In other words- if a forum poster asked a question about Speedplay pedals for information purposes (but not sales purposes) and I posted on that topic that IS included as "Bikesport specific Sales Oriented" for the purposes of this audit due to the possiblity of ancillary sales as a result of mentioning a specific product and the reasonable and customary knowldege that I own a bicycle retail store and that information is displayed in my signature to all posts. (i.e. someone could see my advice, deduce that the item is for sale and visit/call/e-mail my store to make a purchase of the item mentioned)
  4. "General Triathlon or Other Oriented" are posts relavant to such topics as Mr. Tibb's Lavender room, race information, training advice, movies, injuries, hobbies not directly related to triathlon equipment (i.e. "Day in the Life" photo contest), nutrition/diet, travel, relationships, advice to other retailers on this forum, advice to vendors on this forum, general non-sales specific conversation.
  5. Note: Since service sold such as bike fitting are including during this time frame, they are included in and counted as "Bikesport specific Sales Oriented"

Results:

265 posts: General Triathlon or Other Oriented (63.8%).

181 posts: Bikesport specific Sales Oriented (36.2%).

Now, in fairness to myself and others, most of the posts included in "Bikesport specific Sales Oriented" are not solicitations to purchase items from my store, i.e. "We have received a shipment of wheels and you may contact me now at Bikesport to purchase them." but rather references to products we do sell. The response was to a question about a product that we also sell, such as "When will XXXX bicycle be available?"- If I responded to that question and we happen to sell that bike I counted it as sales oriented even if we do not have the product or mentioned that we sell it- in other words- the person asking the question may or may not be aware that I have or sell the product. I am assuming they are aware of it since I answered the question.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: An audit of the subject matter of my posts since November 29, 2004 [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You must be bored if you took the time to tally this up.

"In case of flood climb to safety"
Quote Reply
And how are you counting this post? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just curious. (I, for one, don't mind your posts.)

B.
Quote Reply
Re: An audit of the subject matter of my posts since November 29, 2004 [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was going to post on the previous thread in reference to this issue but it got so huge I thought it would get lost in the clutter. I would just like to say I enjoy most of your posts. The ones I enjoy most are your ones about equipment. I don't care if they are about gear you sell or not they are informative and give good information.

As a matter of fact your information on the Cervelo Soloist is one of the main sources of information I used to make my decision to buy one and I could not be happier with it.

I live in Iowa and I can not imagine I will ever be to your store so your information is not "selling" but just good much appreciated information.

Keep on posting about equipment I read and enjoy every one.

Thanks Tom
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Frankly Tom, I think you are taking a very conservative approach to your definition of "sales." Like I suggested in some other posts my iterpretation is much more on the informative side than that of pure salesmanship.

You performed the audit so I not going to argue your stats, but most of what I remember falls in the categories of "we just received xxxx item and it is very well made, etc" or in response to others asking when are "s-bends" going to show up. Just two examples that I can think of.

By the way should I call you tomorrow regarding my previous pricing question?

Pete
Last edited by: PH: Dec 19, 04 14:03
Quote Reply
Re: And how are you counting this post? [lc21998] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This post, and responses to dopey's thread on that thread itself, I did not count. The total includes all posts from when I got back from Arizona on November 29 and started posting to the post immediatley prior to this one, in other words, 20 days activity not counting responses to dopey's original inquiry.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: An audit of the subject matter of my posts since November 29, 2004 [PH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, I was trying to be generous in what could be considered a "sales oriented" post. That is, effectively, a huge grey area. One could argue that every single post I make on this forum is sales oriented.

It is tough to differentiate.

And yes, let's talk tomorrow....

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
I sincerely hope you realize I was joking. [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's the reason email tends to degenerate into flame wars. Sarcasm, irony, and (attempts at) humour somehow don't seem to transmit well electronically.

For all I know, you got my irony and were being ironic right back . . .
Quote Reply
Re: I sincerely hope you realize I was joking. [lc21998] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're silly........... :P

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom, Keep up the good work you do around here.

Most of us appreciate your contributions. It's nice to here from someone who actually gets their hands on the latest stuff. I took a look at the forum yesterday and saw you getting assaulted by someone who has never contributed anything. Too bad. Maybe next time he will have something worth while to say or maybe he'll say nothing at all.

We have a lot of industry people posting here. A few have one product to push. We get all this information for free. It is up to us to digest it and accept what we like and disregard the rest. If you don't like what someone posts, pass over them. It's easy. Someone else might find it usefull even if you don't. This is an open forum.

Tom, again, keep up the good work!

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! đŸ˜‚ '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: An audit of the subject matter of my posts since November 29, 2004 [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you and most certainly, I will. As my editorial on my site "The Peaceful Tribe" suggested I do market on this site but more importantly my friends are on this site and I enjoy everyone's conversation.

And the Hottie thread.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom!

In the time I have spent on this forum, I have always looked forward to reading your posts. You have greatly enhanced my knowlegde of Triathlon, bikes, sports retail, and James Bond.

But now I know why you can't keep a girlfriend.

lol

Happy Holidays and I hope your shop is crowded this week.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: An audit of the subject matter of my posts since November 29, 2004 [frogonawire] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So true.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
... and shark knowledge.

go sell something!

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: An audit of the subject matter of my posts since November 29, 2004 [frogonawire] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We're closed today. I'm here posting on ST, eating cashews, building bikes and listening to XM.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Speaking of XM Tom, did (or is) Santa going to bring you an XM MyFi? I highly recommend it. Makes the long runs very enjoyable! :) A bit pricey at $350, but worth it in my book.

Quote | Reply
Don't forget your posts are 100% sexy.

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the killer audit, Tom. Gee, that was so illuminating! (belly laugh) What exactly was I supposed to learn from that?

Happy Holidays!

V
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
181 posts: Bikesport specific Sales Oriented (36.2%).

Well, that says a lot to me...

dopey was pretty much on the money, wouldn't you say? If everyone with a bike/tri business posted over 100 sales related posts every month, this forum would really suffer from it.

And I hope Tom knows that I'm not attacking him in any way.