Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Why bike shop owners don't get it... [dopey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a petition for YOU dopey, you already made a thread about how you think Tom shouldn't promote himself on here, how about you keep all the posts regarding your feelings on that subject on that thread! Stop trying to hijack other threads to get your point across, I do enjoy watching you talk to yourself using two screen names though.
Quote Reply
Re: Why bike shop owners don't get it... [Goose] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought that was cool too... :)

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Why bike shop owners don't get it... [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hate when people don't have a profile filled out...

What the mind can conceive and believe, the body will achieve.
Quote Reply
Re: Why bike shop owners don't get it... [jkmorrow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dopey, I agree. I put "big boys" in quotes because I was being somewhat sarcastic. I agree something like "enormously frequent posters" would be more appropriate. People who claim to have "buddies" in positions of governmental authority (especially law enforcement) and who also claim their "buddies" do them personal favors under the color of their governmental authority make me very nervous. If what he says is true, i.e. he sent his FBI buddies to some poor guy's house to intimidate him, IMO it would deserve an investigation. If there truly was a potential violation of the law he should have reported it to the proper authorities just like anyone else.

"big boys" - let us all hope that was sarcasm, jesus christ! too funny - just what the f*ck are you giving them credit for?

i use that term for the 15 minute 5k crowd - not the dude who is writing 50 posts on day on the internet to line his wallet.

i like dopey's style. direct and pulling no punches. tristan
Quote Reply
Re: Why bike shop owners don't get it... [tristan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey, no fair, you haven't filled out your user profile! You're Dopey, aren't you???? (Just kidding.) Yes, indeed, "Big boys" was sarcasm.
Quote Reply
Re: Why bike shop owners don't get it... [mwbyrd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, Mike, it was "Dave, from Nytro. I'm going to read the same specials we've had for the last 3 months. Let me put this flyer in front of my face, because I can't remember that tri-club members get 25% off on all X-Lab wheels and that there's a great $999 tri starter kit."

Christ, I think I could give that presentation from memory.

BTW, congrats on your award. I don't remember specifically what it was for, but congrats none the less.

http://www.churchofcycling.org
Quote Reply
Re: Why bike shop owners don't get it... [Guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
my tri club is really lucky to have a great bike shop that really gets it. They are incredibly helpful, offer great discounts, and understand our limited budget as college students. We previously had a rather lackluster sponsorship with a different shop, and am really glad we went with the new place. Aside from helping our team with discounts, they've given us free clinics on bike repairs, and sometimes send employees out on our big beginner group rides to act as a sag wagon of sorts, helping with flats, giving riding tips etc.. I'm sure they'll be glad when team members graduate and continue shopping there, its probably at that point which the deal will really pay off for them.
Quote Reply
Re: Why bike shop owners don't get it... [Guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stop hijacking threads...it's slightly annoying.

"Anyone can work hard when they want to; Champions do it when they don't."
Quote Reply
Re: Why bike shop owners don't get it... [BallPrkRat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks.

As for the Dave/Craig thing...maybe I shouldn't have been yakking it up with Pooks in the back when Jim announced his name ;)

TheBikeRacer.com
Quote Reply
Re: Why bike shop owners don't get it... [Goose] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I have a petition for YOU dopey, you already made a thread about how you think Tom shouldn't promote himself on here, how about you keep all the posts regarding your feelings on that subject on that thread! Stop trying to hijack other threads to get your point across, I do enjoy watching you talk to yourself using two screen names though.

Goose--

I started the other thread after I posted to this thread, so I'm not hijacking here. I started the other thread because I felt it doesn't belong here. No hijacking.

And, in posting here, I was only responding to something Tom said, and then to others. Again, no hijacking.

I do not have two screen names, just one, and I am not talking to myself in this, or any other forum.

You're a lot like many of the others in the other thread. You have trouble arguing that what I've said is true, but you don't like the message. So you shoot the messenger.

Goose, don't hijack this thread.
Quote Reply
Re: Why bike shop owners don't get it... [dopey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------I accuse him of absolutely nothing. In fact, I believe he cannot be doing anything untoward. After all, anyone who has any criminal intent would never say in public (in writing, on the internet, no less) that he uses his "buddies" at the FBI to obtain favors. Organized crime is more subtle and sophisticated than that. (And yes, I know what I'm talking about--I'm an attorney who defends white collar criminal cases. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You and your friend Guy should not be talking about organised crime and using insinuation in your posts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom wrote "The letter inferred, quite heavily, that if dealers did not sponsor their club they would not endorse the shop and in fact advise members to shop elsewhere, Oops. That is organized crime"____________________________________________________________________ I would think, a reply along the lines of , We are fairly priced, if you clubs purchase volume deserves a discount is still under consideration, Sounds more like business ,then organized crime, not worth a call from the G-men.
Quote Reply
Re: Why bike shop owners don't get it... [BallPrkRat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nytro is a wondrefull shop , but they are high end . Years ago I started going there , in 45 minutes a sales man sold 3 bikes over the phone ,with the last line of one conversation sounded like this " second day air ,with 2 sets of wheels $3945.99 ,thanks " . They have helped me many times . They had a great" take off rack " seats ,bars , stems, that someone rode for a 30 miles an didn't like the fit. Now its on sale at 80% off.

Hi-tech is great as well , Their yearly swap meet / sale ,, I still dream about .

The worst are the lower end (bottom feeder) shops, That aren't old family shops. These have a turn over in mechs & sales personel,which seems weekly. One manager / head mech. knows everything, normally stands ,rattling off, that wont fit this wheel because, X YZ ,,

The rest of the shop are homeless people in clean close or someone fresh out of drug rehab. They get into the "home-depot-osis" ,you find your stuff in 5 minutes ,go to to the register but nobody is there, 6 people in line , your hear 6 guys in back " so dude are we gettin Mexican food for lunch ,I only got 3 bucks .

This is where I slap the 20 wheels hanging from the ceiling to get a wind chime noise going , Now They come out ,pissed of that somebody is buying things, The bar code isnt the sale price , someone has to show him ,,,,You know the rest.

God I love to buy local ( local dollars ) ,,,,,,,,but give me online 70% of the time.
Last edited by: Helitech: Dec 18, 04 12:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"I phoned two friends at the FBI who work organized crime and are good buddies. They stopped by the store and I gave them the letter. I asked them to make a "courtesy call" to inform the authors of this letter that this was intimidation at best, extortion at worst."

Tom,

Amazing! You've got a couple FBI buddies that you can call to handle your business irritations. Why don't you post their names so the rest of us have a couple buddies we can call if things don't go our way. After all, we pay their salaries don't we?

This stinks to high heaven.

First: There's a domestic war against terrorism going on. The Feds should be expending resources there rather than on your petty problems. (Sorry, but in the big scheme of things, its petty!)

Second: The FBI should make enforcement choices based on cost-benefit, rather than on who has friends in the Bureau. I know thats idealistic on the macro scale since those choices are sometimes based on the politics of funding. But your "buddies" boss ought to have his tit in a vise if he approved their visit on your bidding. Did he? Your use of your "buddies" is as unethical as the local club's attempted extortion is illegal.

Third: Try to handle your petty business problems yourself. If you really can't, have your lawyer fire off a letter outlining your position and plan of attack if the offending party persists. I'll bet that would end it. If you really need intervention, call the local cops. They will probably tell you that they dont have the resources. If you really think that the friggin FBI ought to get involved, call the switchboard and see if they will act. I sure hope that they will also tell you that they don't have the resources. If you really think that you will prevail, sue the bast@rds. It might cost you a bit, but it saves the rest of us a bundle.

God, I hate paying taxes when I hear this kind of stuff!!

Trader
Quote Reply

Prev Next