Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Building up my Soloist
Quote | Reply
I'd like to drop my bars 10mm and have zero stack. LBS once said there has to be at least one spacer between the headset and stem, otherwise headset will be damaged. I fail to see the logic in that. So can I lose the spacer and mount the stem directly above the (integrated) headset?

Had lousy shifting running a 9-speed chain on a 9-speed cassette with new DA 7800 derailleur. Is a 10-speed chain the solution?

Much thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Building up my Soloist [Macomber] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You mean either 10cm or 100mm.

I don't think you need a spacer. But they come pretty darn thin, so what's the harm?

That 9/9 combo should work fine. Sure you had it adjusted correctly? I don't know about using a 10sp chain, but I use the D/A 10sp on my Campy 10sp because it's supposedly slightly narrower (which makes adjusting it easier, plus it's cheaper and more readily available).

Too f@ckin depressed from various injuries to care about having a signature line.

Sponsored by Blue Shield PPO.
Quote Reply
Re: Building up my Soloist [Aztec] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
You mean either 10cm or 100mm.
I think he meant 10mm. I may be wrong, but my stem is 10cm. That would be a very long drop.

- Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.
P. J. O'Rourke
Quote Reply
Re: Building up my Soloist [Aztec] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, could've been more clear. Currently using a 10mm spacer and want to lose that entirely.

Pretty sure I had the rear der dialed pretty well, but still had lots of skipped shifts across the 3 largest cogs. I'll have a go at that again before I drop $30 on a 10-spd chain.
Quote Reply
Re: Building up my Soloist [Macomber] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmmph. My saddle to bar drop is 12cm, I think. 10cm isn't all that far :-) But I get the point now. A 5mm spacer will make zero diff. FWIW, I had a thin plastic shim (for lack of a better term) that was less than .5mm in there. Maybe that would be what you need.

Yeah, mess with the deraileur. What you describe ain't the chain.

Too f@ckin depressed from various injuries to care about having a signature line.

Sponsored by Blue Shield PPO.
Quote Reply