Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What is your Pre-Race Warm-Up?
Quote | Reply
I am interested in getting opinions on proper warm-up routines. I know everyone will be different. But some ideas of what the good guys (that's you) do will be helpful.

I assume this will be different for different length and type of events. For instance, in a sprint triathlon, are you going to run X miles (if so will you do some pick-ups), or set your bike up on a trainer for x minutes (if so, what is that work-out like--ten minute warm-up followed by some intervals to get your HR up), or will you just swim, to get that aerobic system humming. Another of the questions on my mind is whether the positive effects of a bike warm-up are gone by the time you have finished an Oly swim.

I would be interested in reading routine intended to 1) avoid pulls, 2) get your areobic system humming 3) avoid bonks due to delay in start-up of energy-delivery systems, 4) things I didn't think of. Also, how much time do you leave before the end of the warm-up and the start of the race.

I know this encompasses a great deal, please take the time to post whatever you would like to pass on.

5K Race:

10K Race:

Sprint Tri:

Oly Tri:

1/2 Iron and Iron (I assume this would be the same??):
Last edited by: Monk: Dec 12, 04 20:36
Quote Reply
Re: What is you Pre-Race Warm-Up? [Monk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The first thing that comes to mind for the short stuff, like the 5K, is 1 minute of light-moderate exercise with some skipping (or other pulsing movements) for every year you've inhabited this grand globe. It just takes longer to warm up as we get older. You can see why some of the 55+ crowd just stops racing altogether, there is hardly enough time in the day to warm up AND race. That being said, twenty five minutes doesn't feel like enough to warm me up for intense stuff.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For road races - of which I only do a few a year - up through 1/2mars I will lope for about 5-15 minutes, depending. For 10kms I will do a few pick-ups, nothing heavy-duty at all. I will also follow this routine for duathlons, of which I only do occasionally.

For triathlons, I hang out, check my gear, chat. I also make sure that I use the port-a-potties right until just about the last minute (although now that I've finally learned how to pee in my wetsuit....some of that pressure is off!). I arrive at the race site very early, usually one of the first handful of competitors, but after that it's just a matter of taking my time and enjoying the pre-race build. I never ride or run before a tri, but will always get in the water and swim easily for 3-7 minutes or so, just before my wave goes. I also do some gentle swim-related stretches, and that's it. I'm 55 and terribly inflexible, but I haven't ever gotten injured in a race due to not being "properly" warmed-up. I push my races pretty hard, and usually finish in the 20% a.g., frequently making the podium. Maybe if I warmed-up more thoroughly I would do even better. I'm really glad you've posted this topic, and I'll be very interested to see how the responses go.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My strategy is to run to the crapper and get to the starting line before the gun goes off. ( I'm always running late)

If I were to get to the race early enough, I run 5-10 minutes, bike 10 and swim a minute or 2 (oly. dist or shorter)

IM or 1/2 IM, 5-10 miute bike and short swim.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I actually warm up the same regardless of whether Sprint or Olympic.. pretty much the same.. (500 m/20/5 to 1500/40/10)
Arrive 2-3 hours before.. get a good spot, shoot the sh*t with everyone, find out all the new toys and say hi to everyone.. about a hour before the start I start warming up.
I do everything to the point of getting loose
15-20 min easy biking..
10 min easy running.. some strides/accellerations/streching/ i like to do crossovers too (one leg side stepping over others)
final check, make sure transition is good.. eat 1/2 a powerbar
10-15 min easy swimming, with some accelerations..
GO!
Quote Reply
Re: What is your Pre-Race Warm-Up? [Monk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Warm up in reverse order. i.e. run, then bike, then swim. At least 10 minutes each (preferably more). Intensity is low, with just a few pickups to race speed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For all those races and distances mentioned, I do the same warm-up; an easy 20 minute run with a few accelerations mid way through. For TT's I bring my stationary trainer and warm up for 30 minutes with some hard intervals mid way through.

**All of these words finding themselves together were greatly astonished and delighted for assuredly, they had never met before**
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1 redbull + vodka and I'm ready to go
Quote Reply
Re: What is your Pre-Race Warm-Up? [freestyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i was taught back in 1959 proper warm up technique for running, and then modifiied it for triathlon. i would have to say since 1959, that probably 90% of the competitors do not warm up correctly..........which makes it all the easier for someone who does to win these races. i just love watching people standing around socializing before a race. here's a quick warmup for an olympic tri.....if your in the 55-60 age group just skip this thread please

1. 60 minutes before race start with a 1/2-1 mile on your bike to shake out any mechancial problems and spin your legs

2. do a 1/2 mile jog, then 10 minutes of streching

3. transition area setup complete, then get down to the water for 200-400m of swim.

4. finish with 3-4 25m sprints in the water

5. kick butt

-------------------------------------------------
Latest Duct tape QR Superfull fashion model
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
5K Race: 15 min slow running, 4 x 15s sprints, stretching

10K Race: 10 min slow running, 4 x 15s sprints, 5 min slow running, stretching

Sprint Tri and Oly Tri: 10min slow swimming, 4 x 10s sprints

http://twitter.com/krepster || http://www.pedro-gomes.com || follow all the action on facebook
Quote Reply
Re: What is you Pre-Race Warm-Up? [longspur] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Longspur, don't forgwet standing around in the water talking to some guy about cutting your feet on Mussels.

I have gotten my best results in sprints when I go out for a short jog, a ten minute bike ride, and then jump in the water for a few strokes.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't do any 5Ks or 10Ks so I can't comment on those

Sprint and Olympic tris

60 minutes before start - Run for about 10 minutes then stretch
40 minutes before start - easy bike for 10 minutes to make sure every thing works right.
20 minutes before start - Swim easy for about 5 minutes then stretch

Half and full IM I just stretch out and then swim for about 5 minutes.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Truthfully speaking, my warm-up is usually whatever I can get in before my wave goes off. I like to do some running for about 10 minutes and then 10 minutes of easy swimming. It isn't much of a warm up but at least it gets me moving.

Most times, I'm lucky if I get that in...

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm pretty fluid about pre race stuff. I found out very early that I can get messed up with a routine. For a while I had myself psyched up to do a pre-determined list of this, that, and the other thing in order to do well. Then I didn't do that once, and mentally got kinda twisted. So my pre race routine is a promise to myself to set up no routine.

The focus is always doing just enough to make sure the gear is ready and I feel good. Weather conditions also play a role. The colder it is, the more I want to do ahead of time. Minimal time on the bike, just enough to make sure everything is working. If it is a true sprint or short du and I use the Pyro's, I always get on the bike to test since I need to adjust the seat post to the height difference. I did not do that once and the seat angle was off a bit and paid the price. Or I'll handle that the day or night before. Otherwise in many cases the bike just stays on the rack. I like to do a quarter to half mile run at most. I've found the greatest benefit from time in the water before we go. What I do depends on how I feel and water temp and conditions. Sometimes I just get wet and think about my breathing. Other times I need to put in a little distance.

So when we get hit with a start delay for fog, storms, or slow registration, or whatever, (which has happened a lot in the last 2 seasons) it all goes out the window anyway. With the focus on just feeling good about being there I'm ready regardless.

Train hard...race well.
www.jimmishler.com
"Jim, I happen to agree with you" DougStern
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For sprints, I like to do about two miles of running - starting slow and building up with several strides - getting a bit sweaty. Then, I used to take the bike out for a spin, but I don't do that any more because, even though I hang a towel or my wetsuit over my rack spot, someone always shoves it aside and snakes the spot or squeeze their bike in. Actually, where that's happened, I've had great races. Must be the anger that ensues. Usually, I have to ride the bike a bit to the event, so I make sure everything is right on the bike during that.

I'll hang at my spot, walk the entrances and exits, count racks, then relax until about a half-hour before my wave. I'll swim up to about 5 or 10 minutes before the start. I'll generally get outside the surfline easily, do some race pace strides, swim down to the start, pee one last time, flush it out of the suit, then get out and take my spot (the front) for the swim.

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would love to do a good warmup before a tri, and I am convinced of the utility, however does a warmup do any good whatsoever if the transition area closes 15' before the start, then the start is delayed 15'. Therefore you're standing around getting cold for 30' before the start?
Quote Reply
Re: What is your Pre-Race Warm-Up? [tom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would guess that if you are properly warmed up, that you can maintain it, or maintain something like it, with jogging around waiting for the start.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been starting to wonder if doing a running and biking warmup before an oly race or longer is overrated. I mean the race starts and you spend 20-30 min at least in a horizontal position. It kinda negates the running and cycling warmup for me.

I prefer to (depending on the water temps) spend as much of my warmup in the water as possible. 10-15 min easy swimming then some hard efforts of 30 sec-1 min followed by streching.

I do all the running and cycling the day before. Real easy with some hard efforts here and there.
Quote Reply
Re: What is you Pre-Race Warm-Up? [mdtrihard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
My strategy is to run to the crapper and get to the starting line before the gun goes off. ( I'm always running late)

You hit the nail on the head there. I even bring my own TP now because so many places run out of it with all the athletes "dropping off the kids". I even had to go on a walking trail once and dump in a garbage pail because the lines were so long.
Quote Reply
Re: What is you Pre-Race Warm-Up? [longspur] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As a 55-59 AGer my warm up consists of standing around the start area watching the first 5 or 6 or 7 waves go off. If you cheer each wave's start vigorously enough you'll get all the upper body warm up you need. Legs get plenty of warm up just standing and shuffling around for the 20-30 minutes between the race start and my wave's start...
Quote Reply
Re: What is your Pre-Race Warm-Up? [martytram] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I've been starting to wonder if doing a running and biking warmup before an oly race or longer is overrated. I mean the race starts and you spend 20-30 min at least in a horizontal position. It kinda negates the running and cycling warmup for me.
That is what I am wondering also.
Quote Reply