Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Lon takes 3rd place [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Subject: Lon takes 3rd place
Date: November 28, 2004 3:28:30 PM PST

With a 6:38:36 double mary! And a 3 day total of 22:39:21.
He was second to the finish line in back of Tony who had a 6:34:07.

Jonas ran a 7:14:38 to keep first place but missed a record by 15 seconds.

1 Jonas. 21:41:49
2 Tony. 22:24:03
3 Lon. 22:39:21
--------------------------
Sent from my BlackBerry Wireless Handheld
Quote Reply
Re: Lon takes 3rd place [JohnA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congrats to Jonas, Tony and Lon. You guys were incredible. Congrats to Tony O'Keeffe on winning the day three marathon with Lon hot on his heels. To run a 3:36 second half after a 3 hour opening half is outrageously fast. This from a guy who once could not break 3 hours in a fresh marathon. Shows what you can achieve with hard work and focus. Jonas clearly showed why he was the champion of the event, after breaking into a walk at mile 30 and still hanging tough for a 7:14 !

Tony O'Keeffe is like the ultraman's version of Joe Boness. Tony is 43 and and has more miles in his body than most of this forum combined. The guy is going faster now than when he was 29. He's done 14 Ironman Canada races in a row. This year, he did IMC in his usual sub 10 and then went on to win the Esprit Ironman three weeks later. After two "tune up supersprint events" it was back to Kingston Ontario to crank out the final buildup to Ultraman.

Anyone out on the big Island know how Marty Raymond fared on day 3 ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JohnA --Thank you so much for this. It was fun to follow this through your UltramanLive coverage--and no Al Trautwig or frozen frames!
Quote Reply
Re: Lon takes 3rd place [Monk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
good job with the reports, I have a specific Ultraman question. How do you get invited? Not really a big deal right now, but might be useful info for the future. "you never now how far you will go until you take the last step"

Jim

**Note above poster works for a retailer selling bikes and related gear*
Last edited by: Jim: Nov 28, 04 19:47
Quote Reply
Re: Lon takes 3rd place [Jim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You have to apply to be invited...

The rules are here: http://www.ultramanlive.com/rules.html
Quote Reply
Re: Lon takes 3rd place [Monk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Monk,

It's really Hinds57 that you need to thank. His boots (or Asics) were on the ground watching the events unfold. I spoke with him earlier this evening, and apparently he couldn't send as many updates as he wanted because he was called on to pace Lon for a few miles - no easy task, as you can see from the splits.

www.Ultramanlive.com has some race commentary and the splits that you can check out.

Congrats to all the finishers - what an awesome race.

JA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks JohnA, like I said not real important, but interesting.

Jim

**Note above poster works for a retailer selling bikes and related gear*
Quote Reply
Re: Ultraman Updates [JohnA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Live from Lava Java. What a race, these people are nuts! Jonas missed the record by 15 seconds, he would have made it with a few min but for a questionable drafting call coming down the volcano. Tony O is a stud. He set the pace on the run and never let up. After Jonas' finish nobody crossed the finish for 2 hours. After the first day I thought this would be a cool race to do. Day 2 and I was having second thoughts. After day 3 there is no way I would do this thing. Just running a few miles was hot as hell.

Dave Hinds
Quote Reply
Re: Ultraman Updates [Hinds57] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
David. Thanks a pile for the awesome coverage. This was better than Ironmanlive coverage of Kona, in that Tony was my teammate back in the early 90's when we competed on the CDN military team. Tony is the poster child for the saying that "put in the miles and good things will happen". To actually see a weekend warrior like him go out at 3 hour pace and drop an awesome pro triathlete like Jonas at 30 miles had me on the edge of my seat.

Anyway, with all the hype, I had fleeting thoughts fo Ultraman Canada next year in Penticton, but the reality of the training, my frail body and family and work committments had me return to reality quite quickly. Ultraman Canada has a team event though, so that may always be a possiblity.

Dev
Quote Reply
Article from Inside Tri [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://www.insidetriathlon.com/race/iro/articles/2481.0.html

Colting, Fithian take Ultraman; Record holds
Colting misses mark by scant 27 seconds

by Timothy Carlson
IT senior correspondent
This report filed November 28, 2004

Kailua-Kona, Hawaii - Suffering in the heat during a double marathon on the third and final day of the 2004 Ultraman Triathlon World Championship, Sweden's Jonas Colting needed all of the lead he earned during his record-setting first two days to hold on for the overall win Sunday.

Colting, 31, an elite professional who placed second at the 2004 ITU long distance World Championship, raced real good for free this weekend to take the title at the small but prestigious Ultraman - which pays no prize money - in 21:41:49.

Colting bested runner-up Tony O'Keefe, 43, a Canadian Air Force Major, by 42 minutes and 44 seconds, and third place Lon Freeman, 29, a resource analyst at Lawrence Berkeley Labs in California, by 58 minutes 32 seconds. But that was in the race for the overall. Colting didn't fare as well in Sunday's run.

Needing only a 7:14:10 run to break Holger Spiegel's six-year old course record after blazing performances on days one and two, Colting faded badly in the second half of his first-ever double marathon to miss the overall course record by 27 seconds.

After hot-footing to the 26.2-mile halfway point in three hours flat, just behind O'Keefe and Freeman, Colting was humbled and walked and jogged through the final 26.2 miles in 4:14:50.

"This is at the top of my list of personal accomplishments," said Colting afterward. "This ranks right up there with my silver and bronze medals at the (ITU long distance) world championship. Ultraman is a cornerstone of triathlon history and the spirit it evokes by circumnavigating the Big Island is awesome. And as I learned today, it is beyond comprehension just how hard it is!"

Colting set an Ultraman swim record and a record for the first day's overall time. His 7:33:36 bike on day two was the third best time ever for the course.

O'Keefe scored his third straight second place finish to better-known professional triathletes, but was proud of his blazing 6:34:07 double marathon, the fastest run of the day. When asked if his opening 2:59 marathon caused Colting to blow up, O'Keefe smiled. "I hope so. That was my gift to a great athlete. Lon (Freeman) and I wanted Jonas to get the full Ultraman experience. If he was going to race us and break the record, he would have to earn it."

O'Keefe could take solace that his run was nearly 40 minutes faster than his run last year where he finished second to Brazilian Ironman champion Alexandre Ribeiro. "This was my best run," said O'Keefe, an age grouper who finished Ironman Canada this year in a PR of 9:14 and won the Esprit Ironman distance event in Montreal overall. "But the whole day I was focused on Lon Freeman. He has a fine record in ultra distance marathons and I was running scared from him all day. But I had prepared with 120-mile running weeks and I was determined to make him work to beat me."

Freeman was all smiles after his third place finish. "I tried to give Jonas all the tips I could because I felt he deserved the record course record after those great first two days," said Freeman. "But some things you just need to experience yourself. Tony pulled away at Mile 34. I guess I waited a little too long to start hitting the Cokes." Freeman, a master of ultradistance marathons, as witnessed by his fourth overall finish in the 100-mile Angeles Crest trail race, said "It was nice, but I'll never do another pavement race again. Those last two miles, I felt pretty woozy and I was glad to finish on my feet. Freeman's 6:38:36 run was the second best on the day.

Fithian holds on for a win
Lauren Fithian, 46, a mother of five and a Minneapolis, Minnesota physical trainer, broke through to her first Ultraman win after two second places. Fithian finished exhausted but proud with a 10:50:07 marathon for a total time of 31:24:24.

"This is the most wonderful race in the world," said Fithian as she put her feet on her husband's lap and closed her eyes with the sublime ecstasy of the cessation of pain. Smiling as bright as the Kona sunset over the nearby beach, Suzy Degazon of Boqueron Puerto Rico crossed the line after a 11:25:14 run and a second place woman's finish in 34:00:57. "I don't know how I did it," said Degazon, who suffered an infected wrist before day one and food poisoning before the run. "I couldn't eat a bite of food all day. I was running on fumes."

After a hard day on the road, Leslie Holton of Pine Colorado failed to finish the third day double marathon within the 12-hour cutoff time and thus failed to be listed as an official Ultraman finisher.

Altogether, all 16 men and two of the five women made an official Ultraman finish.

The Ultraman triathlon is a three day stage endurance event held since 1983 on the Friday, Saturday and Sunday after Thanksgiving on the Big Island of Hawaii. Day one is a 6.2-mile swim from Kailua Pier to Keauhou Beach followed by a 90-mile bike ride to Volcanoes National Monument. Day two is a 171.4-mile bike ride from Volcanoes National Monument to Hawi. Day three is a double marathon run from Hawi to the old airport park in Kailua-Kona.
Quote Reply

Prev Next