Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Ultraman Updates
Quote | Reply
Hinds57 is on the Big Island crewing for Lon Freeman at Ultraman. He has been sending in updates via his blackberry, and I am posting them here as I get them. Here are the first few from today.

---------------
Date: November 26, 2004 8:54:59 AM PST
Subject: They are off

21 offical starters and the original Cowman who just jumped in but isn't regestered started
the race at 6:30. Water was calm and Lon looked great. Check out www.insidetri.com Lon was listed as one of the top contenders to win.

I will update form the swim exit.

Dave

-------------------
Date: November 26, 2004 11:38:36 AM PST
Subject: 5th out of the water

Lon was out in 2:50:20 in 5th but left T1 in 4th. He looked awesome and has a giant smile. Jonas set a new swim record and was out in 2:14. We just passed him on the bike and he is 2000 yards out of 3rd.
--------------------------
Sent from my BlackBerry Wireless Handheld

-----------------------
Date: November 26, 2004 6:14:37 PM PST
Subject: 70 mile mark

Jonas is way out front, not sure how far.
#331 Okeefe in 2nd
#333 Raymond 3:03 back of 2nd
#317 Biting 6:30 back of 2nd
#323 Lon in 13:10 back on 2ns but closing the gap to #2 and #3. A lot of rain out here on the south side of the big island.

-----------------------
Date: November 26, 2004 6:14:40 PM PST
Subject: End of day one in 4th

Lon finished strong and is feeling good. His bike was 5:14:50 so he ended the day with a time of 8:05:14.

Jonas had a monster bike of 4:38:52 to go with his record swim keeping him in 1st by 1:00:20 over Seth 7:53:55 and Tony O with 7:55:04. Martin moved to 5th with 8:19:09 followed by Gary Wang 8:23:03.

Cell coverage is bad so updates will come whenever we can.

Dave
Quote Reply
Re: Ultraman Updates [JohnA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
John,

Many thanks for posting.

gordo
Quote Reply
Re: Ultraman Updates [JohnA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I will try to send out more updates Saturday but t-moble isn't too good on the big island. This is an awesome race. Everybody helps everybody out and has a lot of fun.

Jonas came out of the swim so fast today they almost didn't get the clock set up in time. Broke a 20 y record and nobody got hit with the jelly fish this year that I know of.

I haven't heard if Cowman ever made the swim finish. They tried to get him to put on a different colored cap because he was bootlegging the race but he wouldn't get out of the water. I don't know if he even had a bike in t1.

Cervelo is well represented with 3 p3s in the top 4 right now. As soon as Tibbs gets his he can sign up for next years race. I am taking a ton of pics with the TSR sign with all the folks in the race. People give me a strange look but they go with it.

I will check in when I can.

Aloha
Dave
Last edited by: Hinds57: Nov 26, 04 21:54
Quote Reply
Cell Coverage [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Y-mobile isn't the only one with cell problems on Big Island. Because the whole island is downslope, the transmitter towers don't go very far. Hilo, Volcano,Kona, the Hotel Coast, and up in Waimea are the only great spots. You get bounce reception up high but there is a lot of "dark territory" on Big Island. Thanks for the updates. Go Big Ken. G
Quote Reply
Re: Ultraman Updates [Hinds57] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Jonas came out of the swim so fast today they almost didn't get the clock set up in time. Broke a 20 y record and nobody got hit with the jelly fish this year that I know of.

I'm sure you're not missing THAT aspect of the race, eh Gordo?!? lol...

Thanks for keeping us all in the loop, Dave!

Arne
Quote Reply
Re: Ultraman Updates [StrikingViking] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
eh Gordo?!? lol...
Is that "Gordo" Gordo, or another Gordo?
Quote Reply
Re: Ultraman Updates [Monk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's Gordo Byrn

"your horse is too high" - tigerchik
Quote Reply
Day 2 [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Subject: Day 2
Date: November 27, 2004 9:33:16 AM PST

It was a group start from the volcano down hill for 30 mi. The group has spread out some but lon is just back of the lead pack. The rain is off and on but not too heavy. Late word is everybody but one made the first day cut off but she will keep going just not officaly.

E-mail me if you have any questions.

Dave

Quote Reply
Day 2 70 mile [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Subject: Day 2 70 mile
Date: November 27, 2004 12:00:50 PM PST

The pack up front is tight with Jonas, Seth, Gary,Tony O all close and Lon back a half mile.

After 80 Jonas has pulled away by about a mile. Gary and Tony have changed places and Lon is about a mile back.

Quote Reply
Re: Day 2 70 mile [JohnA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought this wasn't a draft-legal event?
Quote Reply
The race continues [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Subject: Lon in 4th
Date: November 27, 2004 3:16:56 PM PST

Lon just passed Gary to move into 4th for the stage. 2nd to 4th are all within 3 miles of each other. No idea how far out front Jonas is right now with less than 30 miles to the end of this stage.

Dave
Quote Reply
Re: Day 2 70 mile [freestyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Drafting penalties were handed out.
Quote Reply
Re: Day 2 70 mile [JohnA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bump

Keep the updates coming... who's in 2nd, 3rd, 4th overall,.... by what margin.

Trev

Trev Williams
http://www.thedoctrine.ca
Quote Reply
Subject: Bike finish [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Subject: Bike finish
Date: November 27, 2004 8:56:00 PM PST

Day 2 was fantastic with almost no rain. Results so far,

Name. Bike time. Total time
Jonas. 7:33:36. 14:27:11
Seth. 7:43:31. 15:37:26
Tony. 7:54:52. 15:49:56
Lon. 7:55:35. 16:00:45

There were at least 4 drafting calls on the way down the volcano. Not sure who all got one but Lon did not.

It's all about the run now and that is all Lon is here for.

We have no cell coverage now so this will go out when I can find it.
Quote Reply
Subject: Day 3 updates delay [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Subject: Day 3 updates delay
Date: November 27, 2004 9:04:07 PM PST

I drove to the top of the mt to find T Mobile coverage and get the day 2 results out. There is no cell phone for a least the first 12 miles of the run. I will send out info when I can. Lon looks awesome and would start the run right now if he could. This will be a BIG day on the Queen K.

Dave
Quote Reply
Thanks [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Might be "dark territory" up in Hawi but there is some cell coverage at the bottom in K- Hi town and at the tops of some of the rollers, pretty good around the hotels, airport and Kona town.
Quote Reply
At mile 12 of the run [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jonas, Lon and Tony are all within feet of each other, Seth is back about a mile. The leaders will finsh the first 13.1 miles in sub 1:30.

Rumor has it that Jonas fueled on the bike yesterday with 6 liters of Dr. Pepper...
Quote Reply
Re: At mile 12 of the run [JohnA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Let me get this straight....

Jonas is really kicking everybody's butt by miles.... isn't he? He has won every single event...

http://twitter.com/krepster || http://www.pedro-gomes.com || follow all the action on facebook
Quote Reply
Re: At mile 12 of the run [Klep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jonas is way out in front, and unless he blows up, he will win this. 2nd, 3rd and 4th is where the race really is.

Jonas and Lon were a few hundred yards ahead of Tony as they hit the 13.1 mile mark in 1:25. There is no way they can hold this pace for the rest of the race, though. Simply no way.
Quote Reply
Re: At mile 12 of the run [JohnA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bump

Seth is a pacing machine. Those guys went out too fast.... My bet is Seth may not catch them, but he'll start making ground on them in the latter section of the race.

Keep the updates coming !

Trev

Trev Williams
Quote Reply
Mile 21.5 in 2:25 [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Subject: Mile 21.5 in 2:25
Date: November 28, 2004 10:24:08 AM PST

It is a fast pace as it heats up on the Queen K. Lon and Tony are side by side with Jonas 50 yards back. (the time at the first checkpoint 13.1 mi was 1:25 fot the top 3.

Quote Reply
1 down 1 to go [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Subject: 1 down 1 to go
Date: November 28, 2004 11:02:41 AM PST

The pace is fast as the top 3 just passed the 26.2 mark in 3:00:35 all looking strong.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Casey [ In reply to ]
Re: 1 down 1 to go [JohnA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
from David Hinds (Hinds57) who is crew for Lon Freeman at the 75% point (39 miles or so):

Lon just crossed the last check in before the finish line. The pace has slowed and Tony is about a half mile up on Lon. Have not seen race leader Jonas after he started walking at about the 30 mile mark. He is at least a mile back.

Quote Reply
Re: At mile 12 of the run [Casey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It just means it keeps the thread on the first page, so it doesn't get buried. On about Wed. after people are done talking about Ultraman, the thread will slowly start to drift down and be lost unless you search for it.

Trev Williams
Quote Reply

Prev Next