Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Thoughts from a first timer (long) [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep, WFLC was my first tri, and here's my two cents...

1) I was one of the (few) attendees at the long course pre-race meeting. They described the various bike positioning fouls (albeit differently than USAT rule book). Anyway, what they said more adamantly than anything else was to be cautious in the rain, and to hydrate. If that is the caliber of a typical race meeting I'm not surprised at the meager attendance. Enough races are put on each year, and enough races are put on by Tri-California, that a reasonable "syllabus" for the meeting should have been developed by now.

2) We were told that the transition area would be CLOSED at 7:30 so the pros had an unobstructed transition. In the pre-race meeting we were advised not to put on our wetsuits too early, lest we overheat. Okay, what was I supposed to do for the 1:40 between transition closing and my wave starting, in the rain, not wearing my wetsuit and unable to be in the transition area?

3) Cowering in my tent, in the downpour, Friday night I was left with little more to entertain me than my Official Program. Rules and race etiquette could easily be added to the document. The campers were certainly a captive audience... and an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. [In general, I think the program is a gross embarassment with typos, formatting woes, poor editing, and nearly illegible maps.]

3.5) In my race registration packet I got two helmet numbers and a bike number... nowhere was I told where to affix these numbers. [Hmm.. maybe they could have mentioned this at the pre-race meeting]. What is the consensus, do the two helmet numbers go on front and back or left and right? Does the bike number go on the seat tube or the top tube?

4) As a slowbie, I was finishing the bike and doing my two loops of the run as the masses were removing their gear from the transition area. I think common courtesy demands that you stay off the race course, or at least out of the (read, *my*) way, while the race is still in progress. Too bad I couldn't have been handing out blocking penalties then, or disqualifying the helmetless. Similarly, I think if the transition area was supposed to close at 7:30 it should have remained closed until after 5:30.

5) I want women-specific Slowtwitch garb. Also, I think there are some guys up in Valyermo who could put on a pretty sweet triathlon, and that there's a large group of us waiting [and training in the hills] for that day to come!

Meg.
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts from a first timer (long) [Meg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Meg,

I have to agree with #3, nothing said where to put the two helmet numbers. The number for the bike I put on my bike from what I know from cycling, but most did not do it correctly. Did you see all the bike numbers sprawled across the bike course.

Reverend Dr. Jay
Lake of the Pines Triathlon fastest bike course record holder - Golden State Super Sprint fastest tri course record holder - Wildflower Long Course slowest run course record holder (4:46:32)

"If you have a body, you are an athlete." -Bill Bowerman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

3) Cowering in my tent, in the downpour, Friday night I was left with little more to entertain me than my Official Program. Rules and race etiquette could easily be added to the document. The campers were certainly a captive audience... and an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. [.In general, I think the program is a gross embarassment with typos, formatting woes, poor editing, and nearly illegible maps.]
3.5) In my race registration packet I got two helmet numbers and a bike number... nowhere was I told where to affix these numbers. [.Hmm.. maybe they could have mentioned this at the pre-race meeting]. What is the consensus, do the two helmet numbers go on front and back or left and right? Does the bike number go on the seat tube or the top tube?
Boy, Meg, I hear you! As a communications professional, the written output of the TriCalifornia crew PAINS me no end. First, you would have thought that they had figured out BY NOW that their race packet needs to include (a) a one-page rules summary emphasizing basic bike rules/race etiquette, and (b) freakin' instructions about where to put your race numbers! For old timers these are non-issues, but you can't just assume that "everybody already knows what to do". DUH! The first rule of good communications: *Never* assume. And as far as the quality of their race program? That is an oxymoron--- "race program" and "quality" don't belong in the same sentence when you're talking about TriCal. They are in desperate, dire need of a decent writer/proofreader/editor. Everything they write, from their emails to the content of their website to their race programs, is absolutely embarrassing. Content is poorly organized, writing is atrociously poor and unclear, spelling and grammar are a disaster. I never even look at the race program any more, it just makes me cringe. But they can get away with it. Because they are lucky enough to be putting on some of the best races out there. I still think they could improve the events organizationally, but their ace in the hole at their big events is the courses themselves. I continue to do Wildflower despite the organizational and logistical nightmares because that course is just so damned fun! And of course, EVERYBODY wants to do Alcatraz (although I'll stick with Envirosports' version, thank you), and Pacific Grove is truly in a gorgeous location. So despite a lack of quality in the organization, TriCalifornia's races will continue to flourish. TriBaby
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ack! Apologies for the lousy formatting on that last post (perfect irony, considering I was touting my communications professional status---ha!). The text editor for my reply did truly weird things there, apparently ignoring all of my line spacing efforts. Ugh.

TriBaby
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts from a first timer (long) [TriBaby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I don't honestly see a solution ever being found for this problem"

There is a solution, or at least the beginning of a solution. It starts with you and I. Everybody seems to be moaning about what is wrong, who are the idiots blah blah blah. Take some responsibility for the problem that we all have to deal with.
1. write, ring, email etc the RD with your concerns and do it in a nice manner but also offer solutions to the problem such as a late wave for newbies.
2. Why not take some newbies that you know or have met out for a little ride helping them with etiquette. Teach them by showing them while they are on the bike what blocking is, how to pass ,how to ride safely.
3. If the RD doesn't listen, don't go the those races and again contact the RD and let him know he has lost a customer b/c of safety concerns.
4. Get others to join you in skipping the race
5. Contact USAT and complain about the problem to them and mention the word LIABILITY.
6. Become an official and get out there and make calls or teach and warn.
7. Help the RD put on a "real" pre race info meeting 8. Go to TNT and offer to do a 30min rules course and the reasons behind those rules.

Be proactive not reactive. Even if you help 1 person thats one less you and I have to worry about.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
" I want women-specific Slowtwitch garb."

tried that. couldn't get enough buyers. if i get 20 women who'll pony up then we'll do some crop tops, or 2pc, or 1pc.

"Also, I think there are some guys up in Valyermo who could put on a pretty sweet triathlon, and that there's a large group of us waiting [and training in the hills] for that day to come!"

as two former race promoters, we cannot drive by a lake without thinking, hmm. and we've got several lakes up here, 5 of them we're investigating.

i want to put on a half, or something close to it. don't be surprised if we've got one by next season.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts from a first timer (long) [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
... and what about a bike leg that's straight effing up? You know, none of this downhill stuff. Same for the run, of course.

Dre'
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts from a first timer (long) [Dr. Dre'] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe we can be a relay team? You ride up, I coast down. You run up, I shuffle down :) Too bad the swim is flat!

Meg.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The swim is flat? Damn! I just spent about 90 minutes with the Caltech Masters trying to learn to swim downhill!

Dre'
Quote Reply
Re: Tips for First-Timers [Mac] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Last race I was in, there was a decent hill that socked everybody and had a slow turn to the left, so you could never see the crest until you were just about over it. I'm coming up on two people not drafting, but around 10m apart, at the base of that hill. All three of us slow as the slope increases, but I'm still swiftly catching them both. They move out into the middle of the lane to take advantage of the "inside track" for the curve left just as I'm about to pull alongside the back person. The front guy continues to shift to the left until he's in the middle of the oncoming lane, where he promptly swears and gives up on his pace. No way was I about to slam on my brakes uphill and lose all momentum just to pull all the way into the left gutter just to pass the guy, so I passed him on the right, him still far to the left of the yellow line and me starting to shift back to the right, and continued on my merry way. No there weren't any officials anywhere near us, as there were almost none on the course to begin with. Since he was so far over the line he was basically off the course, I really have no doubt that what I did was as close to the intent of the rules as physically possible.
Quote Reply
Re: Tips for First-Timers [Koz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Proof the crime does not pay! The man who couldn't keep his pace sought a shorter line up the hill, but that probably made it too steep for him to hold!
Greed (including rule-breaking for advantage) is like that: you think you'll gain something, but in the end you lose. In my mind the officials need to make this evident to those who have not yet learned it.
(Incidentally, I've not yet entered a race, and, after reading threads like this one, it is not overly appealing. For me, corruption reduces a sport to no sport at all.)
Quote Reply
Re: Tips for First-Timers [Koz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Since he was so far over the line he was basically off the course, I really have no doubt that what I did was as close to the intent of the rules as physically possible.

Nothing wrong with what you did. The absence of a written exception makes it a judgement call by the referee. But it's generally accepted that if passing to the left isn't possible because other riders are out of position and passing to the right is safe it shouldn't be penalized.

Larry
Quote Reply

Prev Next