Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Carbon X straight extensions ????
Quote | Reply
Need some help....

I'd really like to keep my Carbon X (they just look cool), but after reviewing some pix on where I "really" use my aerobars vs. where they are set-up, something needs to change.

Net result, I need to lower my pads (to the bar, no problem there) and add straight extensions. I heard that Profile had straights at Interbike. Any chance of ordering these a la carte?

If not, I need some advice. I can either chop off existing bars (don't wanna do this) as I have the old style 100% rounded carbon extensions. Or I can make some. Providing I make them, are there any OEM carbon "pipe" suppliers or am I stuck with sawing off MTB bars?

thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Carbon X straight extensions ???? [Smitty8] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bump

And I'd like to know how you plan on getting the armrests lower (as I would like to as well). I have been contemplating the same straight or s-curved extensions as well!

Thanks!

Re: Carbon X straight extensions ???? [rroof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...%20X%20sergio;#97933

I haven't done it...but sounds pretty straight forward. (Thanks Sergio)

As for the S or straights....it seems that the straights better fit my riding style/comfort. Although I sure wish I could throttle like Lance!

IMO, Profile could radically change the adjustability of their bars by offering both of these options (lowering armrest/different exts) standard.

Guess I'll find out, I just sent an email to their offices...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just saw a mountain bike bar - use a straight one for straight extentions and a riser for s-bends. The whole project will be under $40.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks! I'll give it a go!

Quote | Reply
I used a old CLub Roost riser bar for my "straight" extensions I used for the pursuit bike. They worked out well. Be sure the I.D. accepts your shifters if you use bar end style.

Regards,
SD

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply
Re: Carbon X straight extensions ???? [rroof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
get rid of the metal piece under the pads.
enlarge the holes in the pads a little bit.
screw them directly on the base bar with a washer to prevent the carbon to crack.
for the straight extension, get a carbon mountain bike bar, cut it in two with the thicker par inside the base bar.
you will have to work a bit to enter the bar end shifters in the cut bar depending on the one you choose.
Quote Reply
Re: Carbon X straight extensions ???? [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It just dawned on me: instead of the straight mountain bar, why not get one of the X-country styles (has a slight bend up from the center on each end). If you cut that bar in the middle, then whittle away the ends, you would have your "S" bend bars!

Quote | Reply
Want another idea?

There are some brooms that have an aluminium tube, do i need to say more?

Im not kidding, not carbon but very light and the mtb bars are a bit too expensive/heavy anyway

=====================================
S�rgio Marques
When it hurts is when it feels good ;-)
Sergio-Marques.com
Quote Reply
Re: Carbon X straight extensions ???? [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I too want to go lower by getting my arm pdas onto the bar and using extensions coming out from under the base bar. Sounds like y'all may have hit on a good parts combo to use. I hope you'll respond to some questions as I start to think it through...

I'm not familar with the Carbon X base bar other than the pic on the profile site, it sounds like the arm rests can be screwed into the existing hole on the base bar (where the metal piece or 'riser' now attaches)?

As is, the pads are attached to an arm off the metal piece/riser using a smaller diam screw/hole than the riser/base bar attachment? Hence the need for widening the arm pad hole?

If attached directly to the base bar, wouldn't the pads end up quite close together? Losing maybe an inch of the arm pad spread on each side (result of getting rid of what I'm calling the arm that attaches the pads to the riser/metal piece)?

Does that make any sense ? :-)

Carbon X pic - http://www.profile-design.com/...es/wing_carbonx.html

Thanks.

The Ride of Truth - OWN your ride.
Quote Reply
sorta like this? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't mean to be a hi jacker, but here's a Carbon X with some low pads (ebay). Not the best pic. Hard to tell whether the little arm pieces are used to attach the pads, looks like they are, so elbow width is maintained. But hard to see how high ther pads are elevated as a result.

Comments?

The Ride of Truth - OWN your ride.
Quote Reply
Re: sorta like this? [Spinmeister] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
err.. that's just a set of C-X's with the standard Z-brackets.

There was a thread or two on this in the past but ...

1. Holes need to be enlarged because they just need to! Extension clamp bolts are a little larger than the pad/bracket bolts.

2. You have width options - using the inner/outer pad holes and the inner/outer clamp holes. I've had mine 3.5" apart and now about 1" apart - if that helps.

3. I've had no issue with mine since last spring when I modified them.

hope that helps you a little ...

rmur
Quote Reply