Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Vittoria pitstop or spare tire? [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So does this mean that you have officially given up on clinchers and gone back to tubulars?

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."

Hunter S. Thompson (1937-2005)
Quote Reply
Re: Vittoria pitstop or spare tire? [TheDC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
haven givent up

i still ride clincher in training!

but i will race on tubular this season.

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have two stories about changing tubulars. The first was 10 years ago in a 1/2 IM while using tubulars which I just purchased for the first time on my ZIPP's.
The LBS mechanic helped me practice changing the tire a couple of times and I felt pretty comfortable and confidant if I flatted. The day of the race, the weather was over 90 degrees and I pumped my tires over 140 PSI (dumb idea, I weight 215 lbs). My rear tire flatted about 60 K out and I pulled over to change the tire. Everything went well till I tried to pull the tire on and realized that the spare that the mechanic gave me was a 650! when I ride 700's. You know the rest. Wait, wait and then 1/2 hour later managed to snag a tire from a guy who had two and I was on my way. Learned a hard lesson that day.

Last year, went out for a short training ride on my new tubulars to make sure all was OK and flatted the front. Used the pitstop and it seemed to work than deflated again. Walked home, only 2K away and found I had a deep puncture.

I now always carry a spare. Just for my confidance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
tom is a great busy men...just not the most knowledgeable guy when it come to technical aspect like those... I m sure his mechanic were aware that pitstop is made for tubies......as recommended by vittoria.

At team TBB, we do use pitstop but also carry a full tubular spare.... pitstop wont work all the time but for the time it does...your back on the road in less than 60 sec....

Do you guys practice with them too? Sorry...couldn't resist... ;-)

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Vittoria pitstop or spare tire? [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oh boy

tom, i honest never understand your joke!! just your technical jargon! That must be a culture thing!

anyway, i m just about to cut a brand new zipp tangente tubular glue 3 coat on rim 2 on the tire with a razor blade and pull it off the rim to see how easy/hard it is to do as a simulation of ''race day on the side of the road'' on a set of 808s... right now, it s simply impossible to take it off as it s freakingh welded to the rim!!!

all this in the name of science.... maybe i will ask rappstar to come over and make a video of the experiment..????

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where do you carry your spare tubular. I've been trying to figure out where to carry mine. I have a P3 with an arione tri saddle that doesn't have enough rail left to strap it to since my saddle is almost all the way forward.
Quote Reply
Re: Vittoria pitstop or spare tire? [newbz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a profile rear cage water bottle system w/two bottle cages. The adjustable neck broke during a training ride so I modified it so the bracket that holds the water bottles mounts directly to the bracket on the seat rails. Really tucks the cages nice and tight under the rear of the saddle. In one cage I put a bottle, folded tubular in the other with a co2 and microflate head wrapped up in the tire. One super small bungie to keep it all in the cage and it works fine.

In Reply To:
oh boy

tom, i honest never understand your joke!! just your technical jargon! That must be a culture thing!

Or, could it be just that my jokes aren't funny? Hmmm....

Don't worry...it was just a lame joke referring to a former TBB members difficulties with a CO2 inflator a short while ago... ;-)

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Vittoria pitstop or spare tire? [Fork-Um] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I carry both a spare tubular and a can of Vittoria pitstop - both in training and racing.

Quote:
Where do you carry your spare tubular.

I have modified one of those bottles, as the spare tubular fits nicely in it, and carry it on my behind-the-saddle dual bottle holder. In the second bottle I carry the Vittoria Pitstop, tools, etc. Spray-painted the bottles to match the color-scheme of the bike, and strapped them securely to the bottle holder using velcro straps. Looks neat!

(For hydration, I carry two bottles on the frame.)
Last edited by: sardus: Jun 18, 09 2:56
Quote Reply
Re: Vittoria pitstop or spare tire? [sardus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had some questions on this topic so thought I would add on to this thread.

I have preloaded my tubes with Stans...will Vittoria pitstop work with the stans in there?...is it overkill seeing as theoretically the Stans not did seal it in the first place or am I doubling my chances of fixing the flat using both products?

Is preloading your tubular with pittstop the same thing as preloading it with stans?

Where are you attaching your pitstop on your bike?
Quote Reply
Re: Vittoria pitstop or spare tire? [Commfire] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Commfire wrote:

I have preloaded my tubes with Stans...will Vittoria pitstop work with the stans in there?...is it overkill seeing as theoretically the Stans not did seal it in the first place or am I doubling my chances of fixing the flat using both products?

Is preloading your tubular with pittstop the same thing as preloading it with stans?

Keen to know the answer to this. New to tubs. I've got a 70.3 in 2 weeks not sure what to carry. Spare + pitstop + sealant or is that overkill? It will add an extra 600 grams. Roads are pretty good.
Quote Reply
Re: Vittoria pitstop or spare tire? [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would carry a spare tire and some aerosol sealant.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like the way jonnyo thinks. Suspenders and a belt. OnTubies or clinchers Pitstop either works or not. If it works yippee, you saved your race. If not you are down and out for the long count.
Either way, my advice is to waste a can at home and be sure you have the skill set to get the damn stuff where it needs to go. I have seen a whole can of the stuff on the rider, the ground and all over the wheel more times than I would like to remember. Seen a lot of C02s go pisssssss.. bang, or pisssssss and no inflation on the tire at all too. Operator error.
I know one true thing about tubies vs clinchers. I have seen a number of riders come in hot from a long ways out on a flat tubular rig and a bunch of clinchers wrapped around a rim for a dead stop. A flat front clincher is pretty freekin scary to me.
Quote Reply
Re: Vittoria pitstop or spare tire? [newbz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Caffelatex Espresso has a better success rate and can be used on disc wheels without the need for a crack pipe.
Quote Reply
Re: Vittoria pitstop or spare tire? [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:
Commfire wrote:

Keen to know the answer to this. New to tubs. I've got a 70.3 in 2 weeks not sure what to carry. Spare + pitstop + sealant or is that overkill? It will add an extra 600 grams. Roads are pretty good.

1. pretreat your tubular with Stan's or Orange Seal or Bontrager sealant.
2. carry two PitStops or Hutchinson FastAir or Cafe Latex etc.
3. Profit.

Bonus points for inflating tires to the lowest possible pressure for your weight, tire width, and road conditions.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Vittoria pitstop or spare tire? [Fork-Um] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does anyone come across such bag for spare tubular from Topeak (Tri-Backup)? Will it be be more aerodynamic in comparison to a tubular taped to the rear cage?
Last edited by: bumanat: Jan 10, 19 4:34
Quote Reply
Re: Vittoria pitstop or spare tire? [bumanat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used to use a track tire rolled up very tightly and positioned in an aero storage thing above the bottom bracket.

What kind of bike do you have?

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Vittoria pitstop or spare tire? [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Felt B14
Quote Reply
Re: Vittoria pitstop or spare tire? [bumanat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It never happened to me, and it's also my worst nightmare.

I use a disc + 858 NSW clincher combo, pre-treated with sealant a day before the race on latex tubes (Better CdA) I've always carried the Vittoria PitStop and two Co2 Canisters just in case.

My experience was when a friend of mine got a flat on his 808 Tube wheel on a course recon ride, and borrowed my PitStop. There was foam all over the place besides inside the tube, then he tried a Co2 canister and still flat. It wasn't a slash, just a puncture.

That being said, I just read something on this thread that gave me the chills. I just realized that the Vittoria PitStop wouldn't work on my disc wheel if I ever needed it!!!!!!!!

So, I just ordered the efetto mariposa one from Amazon :-)

Follow me on IG: @Commandersnake
Quote Reply
Re: Vittoria pitstop or spare tire? [commandersnake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Vittoria pitstop or spare tire? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used Pit Stop once and it worked really really well. SOmeone on here said I can pre-fill tubular tire with tubeless tire sealant, so I asked my mechanic. He said yes, it works and he recommended use 1/3 of the bottle to fill up the tire and carry Pit Stop.
Quote Reply
Re: Vittoria pitstop or spare tire? [RichardL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RichardL wrote:
Yep, this works better: https://www.amazon.com/...tridge/dp/B00OEVIWNS

This one looks good and looks like it would work well with a disc since it has a little attachment hose unlike Pit Stop.
I'm going to get one anyway since I have some Amazon points available.
Quote Reply
Re: Vittoria pitstop or spare tire? [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
s13tx wrote:
RichardL wrote:
Yep, this works better: https://www.amazon.com/...tridge/dp/B00OEVIWNS

This one looks good and looks like it would work well with a disc since it has a little attachment hose unlike Pit Stop.
I'm going to get one anyway since I have some Amazon points available.

You might want to read Slowtwitch Sealant Test here: https://www.slowtwitch.com/...t_-_Part_2_4155.html

Both Vittoria Pittstop and Caffelatex are in it.
Quote Reply
Re: Vittoria pitstop or spare tire? [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another test on the Effetto Mariposa Caffelatex here, starting at 9:30 in the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2OqwuhNGfg
Quote Reply

Prev Next