Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Vittoria pitstop or spare tire?
Quote | Reply
tubular race wheels, what do you choose and why? HIM racing for what its worth

Quote Reply
Re: Vittoria pitstop or spare tire? [newbz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Since I have never had to change a tubbie, it's my worst nightmare. I take a full spare. LBS told me Pitstop is miserable if you are dealing with valve extensions (and I'm assuming you are using a deep wheelset). I would love to get this figured out, because it's a matter of time...going to happen eventually.

ADW

Quote Reply
Re: Vittoria pitstop or spare tire? [Onetimepad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
u mean the pit stop wont work with zipp extenders on 808?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My experiance with Pitstop is I used it twice. The bad news is I had a 50% failure ratio, but the good news it that it had a 50% success ratio.
Quote Reply
Re: Vittoria pitstop or spare tire? [Chubbly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My tubulars are pre filled with Pit Stop, so far have not had a problem. But for long races I carry a spare & 1 inflator. Short races I hope for the best. As far as changing the tire goes I keep a razor blade under my aerobar pad, cut the tire & peel it off put the other tire (pre Glued) on inflate & go....
Quote Reply
Re: Vittoria pitstop or spare tire? [swaco] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was told it "might" work at the LBS. Everyone one of the bike mechanics winced, so I asked them about it a few minutes later and they all said no way in hell they would use it with a pair of Zipps. I had to leave, so I didn't get to ask all the follow up questions I now have.

Like another person said, I tape a razor blaze to the inside of my Xlab just in case I need it.

ADW

Quote Reply
Re: Vittoria pitstop or spare tire? [Onetimepad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
well, not sure your mechanic are giving you the right advice.... have they tried before?

The pit stop will work well, even with valve extender if the hole in the tubular isnt too big...depending of the cut.

Erika Csomor flated at Wildflower, jump off the bike and use the pitstop on a hed stinger 60 with valve extender.... she was back on her bike in 50 secondes and claim third place overall pro....

and there is lots of other expemple. a few athelte on Team TBB have use it with succes in races.... it s quick and you dont need to change the tubular...

Also curious about your mechanic comment about...''never on a pair of zipp'' The brand or model of wheel as nothing to do with this... it s just a tubular extender thing....

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Small puncture? It probably works. A cut/slash? Probably not.

I carry it.
----------------

Born again Heathen
In Case of Keith Moon - Break This Glass
Ironman Certified Coach
USAT Certified Coach
Precision Nutrition Certified
Quote Reply
Re: Vittoria pitstop or spare tire? [c00terb0b] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the tires/wheels i use, even stretched are a b**ch to get on, and i would rather risk just having that than trying to get another tire on there.

i have never, ever slashed a tire and cant really imagine on the races i have coming up where that would even happen...... that would not cause me to prob crash anyway.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pit Stop, spare, a razor blade or small box cutter.

Try the Pit Stop first.
If it does not work, use the blade to cut a hole across the tubular, stick your thumb in the hole and rip the tubular off.
Put on the spare tubular.
Quote Reply
Re: Vittoria pitstop or spare tire? [jfm225] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i know how to change one.......

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You still at Denison?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nope got out last spring,
am actually heading out to boulder in a week for the summer, back to columbus in aug to coach rowing through next may, then boulder full time.

Quote Reply
Re: Vittoria pitstop or spare tire? [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

Also curious about your mechanic comment about...''never on a pair of zipp'' The brand or model of wheel as nothing to do with this... it s just a tubular extender thing....

totally agree..

I used on a fellow competitor's ZIPP Front 606 in a race the other day (I was directly inspired from Keat).
worked so well that he was on the road again within a minute and beat me in the closing 200m of the race (damn! haha)
Quote Reply
Re: Vittoria pitstop or spare tire? [c00terb0b] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a cut/slash in an Ironman last year on Zipp 404 tubular and no spare, but 2 pitstops. The sealant came out the gash, but I held it in place with a gu wrapper until it sealed; I messed up putting the second canister on and it blew up in my hand. The tire still managed to keep 5 to 10 lbs of pressure which was just enough to get me through the last 40-miles of the bike. I think it's a great product as it saved my ironman, but it's not perfect all the time. I do not think changing to a spare tire would have worked for me because there was a section of the race through deep standing water.
Quote Reply
Re: Vittoria pitstop or spare tire? [Jon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK.....so I used the Vittoria Pitstop with a flat on my 404 at Boise. You do have to push the can very firmly on the valve extender, but, I have to say it worked pretty well. My question is: now what? Is the tire to be trusted until it wears thin or flats again? Will the the Pitstop continue to work as a preventative now? When I do go to change the tire (either now or in the future) do I have a mess waiting to clean up inside the rim or no more so than say using stans on mountain tubless set up?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can pitstop be used on a disk? I wouldn't think so because of the way it has to be applied. Doesn't seem like it would work to well with a crack pipe.
Quote Reply
Re: Vittoria pitstop or spare tire? [mabarille] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just had the tire replaced at the shop. Not sure if it made a mess or not.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used it on Saturday for the 2nd time. It didn't work. I had a pretty small cut in my tire/tube and it did nothing but ooze out of it. Spare tire for me from now on.
Quote Reply
Re: Vittoria pitstop or spare tire? [jackbauer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you are talking a clincher? tire/tube???

because yes, it wont work too well in clincher but work great many times on tubular....still not a 100% thing..

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
clincher
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nonono pitstop! I had a friend who for the first time in his life didn´t bring spare tubulars för IMUK, biked 10K before his tyre went flat, then blew away three vittoria pit stops (another friend threw him an additional). I tried it once too, but the foam went right through the hole. if the puncture is any bigger than tiny, 1-2 mm, pit stop wont work( vittoria claims 3 mm).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yep...this thread is about pitstop on tubular.... very succesfull.

But you cant use it on clincher. That isnt a good idea and you discover yourself, it dosnt work...

Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

But you cant use it on clincher. That isnt a good idea and you discover yourself, it dosnt work...

Not according to Tom Demerly...

"Vittoria Pit Stop is particularly well suited for triathletes since they can repair and re-inflate a flat in seconds on either tubular (sew-up, glue on) tires or traditional clincher tires. This totally subverts the need to carry a spare of any type, especially with tubulars. There is no more concern over fixing flats."

<notice photos in the review are of clincher tires>

http://www.bikesportmichigan.com/...toria-Pit-Stop.shtml

And I believe everything he says.

And not according to the official Vittoria web-site: http://vittoria.com/...=8164&Itemid=197
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tom is a great busy men...just not the most knowledgeable guy when it come to technical aspect like those... I m sure his mechanic were aware that pitstop is made for tubies......as recommended by vittoria.

At team TBB, we do use pitstop but also carry a full tubular spare.... pitstop wont work all the time but for the time it does...your back on the road in less than 60 sec....

Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply

Prev Next