Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Have you ever had this happen to you? [tridork] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A couple of months ago, I figured out that one of my fellow lawyers at my firm is a frequent poster. What are the chances of that? Now I just worry about maintaining my professional dignity. Some days are better than others:)
Quote Reply
Re: Have you ever had this happen to you? [AmyMI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AmyMi

It is a small world isn't it?

STP

PS - I'm only on here today because I was checking to see if you were.
Quote Reply
Re: Have you ever had this happen to you? [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I found out my girlfriend was spying on me, and writing posts that she knew I would respond to. She confessed one of her screen names, but says she has two others so that she can rotate them to hide her identity... Definitely a little odd...
I had a stalker/girlfriend like that once. It took a while to run far enough away.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wow, I've been such a bitch on this forum. I don't know if anyone would really be interested in meeting me. the thing is though, I'm really likeable! (see, I had to tell you since it might not be obvious from my postings.)

meow.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't have this problem, I'm pretty low profile in everything I do, wherever I go. Just nature, I don't stick out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Happened a couple of times. I was getting ready to respond to a post and suddenly realized the guy I was going to ask "hey were you at..." was someone I knew. You know, some small detail of a post that gives it away.

I've also had a couple of guys recognize my bike at races. Scary to think you could be recognized when you think how demented some of us are!!

Cousin Elwood - Team Over-the-hill Racing
Brought to you by the good folks at Metamucil and Geritol...
Quote Reply
Re: Have you ever had this happen to you? [Cousin Elwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"some small detail of a post that gives it away."

Elwood,

You said something about you having a mustard yellow disk in a post one time. A few days later I see a guy at the local tri for fun with a yellow disk. Not many (or any) yellow disks out there so I know it was you.

It seems like there are a lot of slowtwitchers here in N. Cal. I meet somebody at almost every race. You should all go to a race with Ironclm, she knows everybody!

Dave
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Small world for sure...

After lurking a couple months (a yeay ago) - I find out that THE MAN (Tom D.) is just an hour drive away.

Then find out that the local TRI-champ is posting here too...

... and coming across the finish line at my last race this fall, another local stud just straight asks me if I'm S... from ST!

MI folks are well represented here.
Quote Reply
Re: Have you ever had this happen to you? [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Using your real name has its advantages:

1) Get to meet cool slowtwitch people at every race. This year, I bumped into many at Muskoka, Tupper Lake Half Ironman, Duke Half Ironman, Peterborough Half Ironman, Ottawa Half Ironman

2) My wife can see what I am posting if she wants. This is a good thing. She rarely surfs this board but has seen my posts on others

3) I get lots of email from local newbies and vets asking about racing and training. If I can ensure that they don't repeat the mistakes I have made over 20 years, that is good thing.

Downside:

1. Co workers are generally clueless about my tri lifestyle. I keep it decoupled from work (people are generally jealous and envious that you can be 39 year old with a body of a 19 year old and I don't need to give them any ammunition to fuel their lame envy). I work out from 5:30 to 8:30 am and can be in the office at 9 am, and really, they don't need to know that I ran 34K before work or squeezed a 90K ride in while they were sitting in traffic. I don't want people thinking that my tri efforts impact work and don't want to give people any ammunition.

2. If the HR department were to surf this site (and they are all runners), they'd get to see my posts. Perhaps they do :-). I don't know if this is good or bad.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting.

That's why I figure it is better to be out there and up front with who you are.

1. People then know who you are.

2. You tend to be more rational with what you are saying.

3. An extention of #2, you think carefully about what you are going to say before clicking "send"

4. While knowing a great deal of inside information, I respect the relationships that I do have in the sport and don't abuse them knowing that this is a public forum and they they may be looking in.

5. I am also open to learning new things, which I do regularly here. If you are anon., then you can keep pounding away at some off-the-wall idea and never admit that you where wrong in the first place, learn something new and move on.

Best regards,

Stephen/Steve Fleck

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Last edited by: Fleck: Oct 28, 04 14:24
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I cruise and/or post here on slowtwitch just about every day. I take notice of who says what and who's funny, cool, sad or just plain assinine.

Damn!

Prev Next