Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Have you ever had this happen to you?
Quote | Reply
I cruise and/or post here on slowtwitch just about every day. I take notice of who says what and who's funny, cool, sad or just plain assinine.

Since we pretty much all use "nom de plumes" we don't often have a clue who we're really chatting with.

I noticed "ironkiwi" a while back (since I'm a fellow kiwi and into IM) and thought he/she was a bit of a dickwad,(just kidding) but didn't really worry about it too much figuring I wouldn't ever have to meet the jerk.

Next thing I get an email from my mate asking if I ever go to Slowtwitch forum and am I TriDork?

I've met Dan and some others from here (and previously on RST), but only after I met them here first.

Have you ever been surprised to find out one of your friends is actually a fellow "Slowtwitch"er? Kinda freaked me out to be honest.

TriDork

p.s. Dale....leave me alone. I'll call the cops, I swear! :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Have you ever had this happen to you? [tridork] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yes, often I get emails asking me if I am Francois :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Have you ever had this happen to you? [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you the Francois (I think it was Francois) from Montreal that has won the Esprit (IM) triathlon a few times?

If yes, I saw you pass me several times, but technically we never actually met. :-)

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
not it was Pierre (Heyneman Jr. spelling may be off though)
Quote Reply
Re: Have you ever had this happen to you? [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pierre? Francois? I was close though eh? (remember that I'm blonde and can't be trusted)

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm on a boat in Thailand last year. I'm wearing a "Bikesport" shirt. This Asian fella says, "Are you Tom Demareee?" Unbelieveable.

I'm walking down the street in Taupo, New Zealand. A guys yells out "Hey, Demerly!" and it is a Slowtwitcher. Recognized me from this forum.

At Interbike I have to turn my name tag around. Half the vendors want to shake my hand, half the vendors want me dead. They are like, "Are you that guy on Slowtwitch?"

Never underestimate the power of this forum. If I "say the wrong thing" on here I hear about it from industry insiders- sometimes within minutes.

This is a very important media in our industry. That is one of many reasons I invest so much time on here.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ok, I'm blonde too, maybe I am pierre in fact? huh? ;-)
and before pierre heyneman it was pierre lavoie.

really nice guy fron Lac Saint Jean (where they speak funny and have blueberries the size of grapefruits :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Have you ever had this happen to you? [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You spend so much time here on Slowtwitch because you are a sad, addicted, triathlon junkie just like the rest of us.

Don't try to legitimize the time you spend here as a bona fide business expense. The tax dept won't buy it and neither will we. You are just in denial Tom.

BTW, I was sorry that it wasn't me shouting across the road to you in Taupo. You coming down here next year too?

TriDork

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a bunch of wierdos buy me shit all because I'm on the forum.

I love wierdos!

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Re: Have you ever had this happen to you? [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same thing as Tom. Pretty much every race I go to a Slowtwitcher will come up and ask if I'm Cathy Morgan. It's a blast meeting people all over and putting names and faces together. Couldn't ask for a better group of people.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's actually a guy in my roadie group that I've talked to a few times on the forum. He doesn't realize it's me and I'm not telling. Either that or he's not letting on and the joke is on me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Due to the nature of some of my posts I think it is wise if I stay, now and forever, totally untraceable and anonymous.
Unless Maylene was looking for me, of course...

kiwipat

per ardua ad astra
Quote Reply
Re: Have you ever had this happen to you? [kiwipat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Only the CIA knows who you really are! ;-)

The NZ Intelligence? Service haven't got a clue who you are, unless you're a stupid Israeli spy. So post away duuuuuuude.

(damn those Israeli guys were STUPID, with a capital STOO!)

TriDork

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't forget the French! they didn't make it past the NZ intelligence service either....
Quote Reply
Re: Have you ever had this happen to you? [davet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah but they threw the French duo back. Where did they end up? (And who caught the French bombers? Wasn't that the newpaper correspondent? NOT the Intelligence Service.

They ended up on some tropical French island in the South Pacific until no-one was looking and then they got shipped back to their families and friends back in France! Where was the US and UN when the French Govt bombed the Rainbow Warrior in Auckland? I guess that was different because we didn't have any US oil hiding under our sand ;-)

I guess the Kiwi screw up with letting the French bombers go is why the Israelis will spend their time in a Kiwi jail and we will wait until hell freezes over for the Isreali govt to give a formal (or even informal!) apology for sending their spys to Godzone to try and get false passports.

Maybe I'm just a little bitter? Nah can't be :-)

TriDork

Quote Reply
Re: Have you ever had this happen to you? [davet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Don't forget the French! they didn't make it past the NZ intelligence service either...."

Oui. Just blow up a Green Peace boat. Now that's a way to maintain anonymity and win friends. I'll support Francois on almost any anti-French post, but not this one. But I'm sure he wouldn't either.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had a fella from Slowtwitchia approach me after a race and just "know" it was me. I certainly wasn't expecting it, but it was nice to meet a fellow 'twitcher from the area.

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I catch shit all the time when I don't quote the company line from this vendor or that vendor. I try to be honest and realistic and provide helpful information if I can.

Short of that, I'm just an ass.

I've never been noticed, I'm like an albino wolverine.

-SD

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"NZ Intelligence" ???

Isn't that a contradiction in terms? ;-)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cheers,
Brad
Quote Reply
Re: Have you ever had this happen to you? [badone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Easy tiger....

oh, alright then. NZ SIS is most famous for having an important brief case, full of 'secret' documents, found by an unsuspecting member of the public on a Wellington park bench.
Said case contained your usual super secrect spy stuff (plans/codes/double sided tape etc), and, that mainstay of the western alliance - a Penthouse magazine! True story.
Penthouse and the secret service...who knew?

kiwipat

per ardua ad astra
Quote Reply
Re: Have you ever had this happen to you? [kiwipat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There's cleverly concealed code in the articles (the ONLY reason they buy it).

It's rumoured the reds have hidden there own secret code within the images. This bears further investigation.... lots (refer Hottie Thread in Tibbs' Lavender Room).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cheers,
Brad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got to meet Ironclm recently and Justin in LI 2 years ago.

Look forward to meeting more in the future... it is always nice to put a face to then names...

No surprises though as my nome du plume is my name as well
Quote Reply
Re: Have you ever had this happen to you? [taku] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've only 'met' Slowtwitchers electronically. I've bought a few things off a few of you guys, talked offline to others (oh, met Art Franke, now I remember). I used to meet RST'ers all the time. That was the forerunner of this forum, I think. It's a pretty cool sport, with pretty cool people, especially when we interact so much online and do get to meet up occasionally. And nobody takes themselves too seriously....well, maybe some of you.....not me, no sirree bob, not me........

Cheers

Barry
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I found out my girlfriend was spying on me, and writing posts that she knew I would respond to. She confessed one of her screen names, but says she has two others so that she can rotate them to hide her identity... Definitely a little odd...

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have meet about six or seven, one roadie friend posts here, most just lurk,i have tried to get a few of them who train at the same time and local to do some time trials but no luck, I did meet two STers at USCF State TT champs this year
Quote Reply

Prev Next