Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Triathlete mag letter to the editor [3Sport] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've said this before But how do you know that he isn't recoverning from cancer? , Doing a "c" race, Devoting one race a year to ride with the newbies and encourage them, Having a bad day, . Do you feel the same way when you run past someone with expensive shoes, Why do you feel better passing someone who is successful than someone who isn't?
Are you ever passed???? Should people look down on you if they have a lesser bike as they pass you?
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlete mag letter to the editor [denewone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Woo, amen to that! Since I'm [still] recovering from surgery, my "running" is even slower than normal and interspersed with lots of walking. I can ride, but have to get off on the steep hills. Last weekend I rode with some folks from my club and I was walking the bike up Mama or Papa Bear (7% hills), and a bunch of guys ride by. One guy says, "Next time, right?" I replied, "Not bad for 12 days post-surgery. I'm good." He about jumped OFF his bike. They stopped at the top of the hill and come to find out, he's a doctor and about freaked out. HA HA HA Made my day. After I explained to him that I had the OK from my doctor (and was taking the hills very conservatively), I beat them down the backside of the hill. Then, this past Sunday, I was doing my walk/jog and saw a club member on the trail. Talked to her yesterday and she'd wondered why I was "only walking".

Goes to show, you never know what's up with someone...."C" race, injured, out enjoying the day, helping someone else, recovering from surgery.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlete mag letter to the editor [Richard R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RichardR, he's the NC type ASU. In his letter he actually mentions Set-up as a major source of his frustration. Not them, but the fact that their races fill up so quickly. Of course that's testament to the quality of the races Set-up Inc. puts on across the greater NC area.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlete mag letter to the editor [TriBriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They do in fact put on very good events. The races which they run not as a part of the NCTS or PSTS are just as good and not yet full. Simply go to their website and look under "other races". I did both the Hickory and Spruce Pine races last year and they were first class.

Richard
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlete mag letter to the editor [denewone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's interesting that some of you guys are getting all bent out of shape because someone referred to "some" racers as posers. I remember reading a post started about an IM poser that worked out at a guy on this forums gym. I am pretty sure some of you guys thought it was OK to call him a "poser" and commented as such...he was.

I think there are "posers" in every sport. Have you ever been skiing and you see the guy with the bright neon powder suit, flashy boots, best ski's and can barely stand up? Poser! The same holds true for a lot of participants in this sport as well. I mean come on, when I started out I didn't want everyone to focus on me, rather I wanted to lay low and figure things out not scream for attention. It is about the machine not the gear anyway. Tune the machine first then fine tune with the gear. I'm not saying ride a piece of junk or run in army boots but figure the sport out and don't always rely on the gear. That can be added as you progress an understand how it can help you.

Plus I do think ASU's letter got taken out of context and felt like he was just showing a little frustration with the system at that time. He has defended himself twice on this forum and I think that shows his true character.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlete mag letter to the editor [MattMiz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why is it ok to wear different clothing, ride different bikes, etc, but you would hate to be beaten by a guy that doesn't shave his legs? Who cares? I don't shave my legs, and don't see myself doing it any time soon. That doesn't make me less of a triathlete. I swim, bike, run, just like the rest and have been doing it for quite some time.
Get over the shaved legs thing.

Quote Reply
Re: Triathlete mag letter to the editor [haennp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Okay - if you read his post, then my post, then his, then mine again, it was a tongue-in-cheek response to a tongue in cheek post. Okay? I could care less if I get beat by Bigfoot on a tricycle. (Though guys with old-school fluorescent bike helmets - I can't stand to get beaten by them. Or girls.)

"To give less than your best is to sacrifice the gift." - Pre

MattMizenko.com
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlete mag letter to the editor [T2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have to disagree with your use of the term "Poser". And I will get bent out of shape when a racer is called a "poser", why? because by definition, anyone who actually races cannot be a poser, the two are mutually exclusive. they may not be very good, but they are at least out there trying. nobody is born perfect, and it's not their fault that they buy the proper equipment before they learn how to use it, or use it well.

I myself am just getting into triathlon, but I went out and bought a nice shiny black QR Kilo. Damned if I can ride the thing any more than 16mph without getting winded, but I didn't buy it expecting it was a motorcycle that would propel me without effort. I had a good tax year, and got a nice return, I like doing tri's (did two last year) and I invested on my future interest in the sport. Should I be derided for falling down cause I can't unclick at a stoplight during a ride? laugh a little, I'm sure it's funny, but we've all been there once.

Am I a poser?

I certainly don't honestly think so, but I'll joke about it with my fiancee.

So what is a poser?

IMO, it is someone that makes absolutely no effort to try, or, the effort they put in to it is in deceiving others to think they are better than they are. the IM poser thread is a wonderful example of what a poser really is. someone who talks the talk, without even trying to walk the walk.

My whole point in this rambling is to appeal to everyone of all skill levels not to judge someone on race day. That someone put in the effort (however much or little it truly was) to get to the starting line, is enough for them to be worthy of my respect, and yours too, I hope.

AHub

</rant>
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlete mag letter to the editor [3Sport] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just sign up for some of my races and, if you can manage to get seeded into a wave behind mine, I am sure you will get the chance.

Oops, sorry, I have Zipp wheels.

Heading downhill in Florida,
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlete mag letter to the editor [AHub] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
So what is a poser?

IMO, it is someone that makes absolutely no effort to try, or, the effort they put in to it is in deceiving others to think they are better than they are. the IM poser thread is a wonderful example of what a poser really is. someone who talks the talk, without even trying to walk the walk.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlete mag letter to the editor [haennp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Why is it ok to wear different clothing, ride different bikes, etc, but you would hate to be beaten by a guy that doesn't shave his legs? Who cares? I don't shave my legs, and don't see myself doing it any time soon. That doesn't make me less of a triathlete. I swim, bike, run, just like the rest and have been doing it for quite some time.
Get over the shaved legs thing.
Maybe it's getting passed by the women who don't shave their legs that really bothers him...
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlete mag letter to the editor [AHub] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AHub,

In the original letter, the "group" I was directing the "poser" comment towards are the individuals who sign up for all of the races in January, spend $$$$ on all the latest most aero equipment, and then don't bother to put in the time to train and decide to skip the race in which they have already secured a spot in. I understand that people get hurt, family issues arise, work, etc. and people aren't able to make races sometimes, but I know of a few people who sign up for every race (in our series, NCTS) with absolutely no intention of competing in all of them. This whole issue started as a way to vent my frustration at these individuals who are keeping athletes such as myself who bust our a$$ 3-4hrs a day 5-6 days per week from racing because they are wasting space.

Mike
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlete mag letter to the editor [asutriathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting point. At IMMOO, they anounced that about 2100 people had registered, 1800 had picked up their packets and a bunch, maybe 150-200 I can't remember, called and said they were picking up their packets late. The organizers where excited at the possiblility of having over 2000 people on the line. Come race day, I think only 1700+ actually competed. Who were these people who said they were coming in at the last minute, and still didn't toe the line?
Quote Reply

Prev Next