Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Triathlete mag letter to the editor
Quote | Reply
There is a letter to the editor in the latest Triathlete mag, written by a young triathlete obviously struggling with high race fees and closed out races. While I can certainly understand his frustration, I have to disagree with his derision of "yuppies" and "posers" coming out to crowd his beloved sport. Certainly the sport continues to grow at a rapid rate, faster than new races can be organized to spread the load. We've all probably experienced the frustration of closed registration a few times in recent years. But is this bad for the sport? Should we come down on "yuppies" and "posers" flooding the races?

NOT ON YOUR LIFE. This idea reflects an immature view of the sport and the world at large. These same "yuppies" and "posers" are the grassroots support on which our sport is built. Without them attending races and regenerating popularity for the sport, the opportunities for the elite racers (of whom this young writer must think his is or at least will be) would be sparse at best. The $$$$$$$$$ that they pour into their individual pursuit of the sport, for whatever personal reasons, provides the capital for the biz to keep forging ahead. If the "yuppies" and "posers" didn't by their new Kilos, P3s, T1 suits, and Polar HRs, etc. those companies wouldn't have nearly the capital to reinvest in discovering the "next level" of gear. Young mister budding triathlete wouldn't have the choices he currently has. Without them, new IMs wouldn't stand a chance of coming to fruition. IMH wasn't built on the strength of the pro athletes. IMoo isn't a success because of the pros.

So what do the rest of you think? I don't think the guy is wrong for feeling frustrated. Heck, I am frustrated with closed races too since I often can't sign up way in advance due to uncertainties with military service. But I think we need to guard against elitist thoughts like this. While I am certainly more than a little competitive, at least AG-wise, I find more satisfaction these days helping a friend or aquaintance to finish their first tri or du than I do landing on another podium, especially if they are younger.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlete mag letter to the editor [TriBriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I completely share your view, TriBriGuy. I felt the same way when I read that letter. I have often heard those comments in training circles and at races. You know the ones..."Just another type A with too much money" or "How about a set of $3000 legs to go with that $3000 bike?" Those comments, and that letter, are just shallow. Don't player hate. Get over yourself and go introduce yourself to someone. You might just find a really cool person inside that shiny new T1.

=============
Adam Duncan
New York, NY
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did not go look to see if I could find it but I made an off hand comment about that letter in a thread back, I think, the week of 3-17. I was surprised when I got my e-mail that the actual author had responded and I expected a fight. He was actually very appologetic and I did not further blast him. He also claimed the letter was edited.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Found it, see March 19 by Brent F "Tri selling out. . ."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriBriGuy,

I am the now infamous author of the letter in question. Your interpretation of that letter was almost spot on, you are very correct in your assessment that I am a university student struggling with high race fees and closed out races. Unfortunately (at least in my opinion), the whole of that letter was not published. Had it been, everyone would have been able to read my statements that yes, the first half was a bit of a "temper tantrum" in response to not being able to enter a number of races that I have competed at for numerous seasons due to the explosion of registrations.

In regards to whatever ego I may possess, yes, I am competitive on an AG level, but have absolutely know illusions or aspirations beyond that (other than to race for many years to come). I also wanted to avoid portraying a completely elitist view because I think it is great when people discover triathlon. Being on a collegiate triathlon team, I help new teammates every year complete their first races. Later in that letter I brought up the point that it is very, very hard for new people to enter races because they have no idea they will fill up 6 months in advance. Not one single new member of our team will be able to race in the first part of this season due to closed races.

The idea I really wanted to pass along (obviously I did a poor job!) was to ask for others' ideas in regards to perhaps altering the entry process and doing something about race fees. My personal idea was to try out some kind of system like that utilized by Ticketmaster when selling concert tickets. If for example a race will be held on June 1, advertise the fact that slots will go on sale on May 1. I know this isn't perfect, but my thoughts were that it would allow the many individuals in this sport who do not have the ability to pay for all of their races in January to have a more equal opportunity at getting in. I also brought in to question race fees. I have never been involved in putting on a race, and I am sure that directors are not getting rich doing so, but I wonder why the rates are increasing at such an alarming rate. The most common reason I have heard is insurance, but I wonder why that hasn't affected some of the other sports so much. I also race for a USCF team, and while our annual liscense did increase a small amount (as did our USAT cost), the cost of racing has remained uniform (at least in our area) for the past 2-3 years. Could triathlon insurance cost that much more than cycling considering the numerous injuries I see at most, if not all, cycling events.

Thanks for your opinion and constructive criticism.

Mike
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlete mag letter to the editor [asutriathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ticket master is great idea (although they would increase the fees more that way...). The other way is to slowly release spots. i.e. 50% of the spots available 6 months before (for those that need to arrange travel), with an additional 10% being made available 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 months prior to race. Meaning that at least 10% of race spots will still be available 1 month prior.

Or come to Ontario we have spots available.

"which is like watching one of your buddies announce that he's quitting booze and cigarettes, switching to a Vegan diet and training for triathalons ... but he's going to keep snorting heroin." Bill Simmons, ESPN
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlete mag letter to the editor [aduncan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is there anything better on the bike leg than blowing by some dude with Hed 3-spokes and a Dura Ace-equipped Cervello P3?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

No sidewindin bushwackin, hornswaglin, cracker croaker is gonna rouin me bishen cutter!
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlete mag letter to the editor [3Sport] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Is there anything better on the bike leg than blowing by some dude with Hed 3-spokes and a Dura Ace-equipped Cervello P3?
Hmmmmm.......being the guy with Hed 3-spokes and a Dura-Ace equipped Cervelo who sets a personal best bike split whether you blow by me or not.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
who cares? are slower people not allowed to have good gear? should good gear be reserved for the "mighty?" maybe that guy you pass will kick your butt on the run. maybe he got a big bonus at work and loves triathlon enough that he bought a nice bike b/c he enjoys it. why does it matter?

"To give less than your best is to sacrifice the gift." - Pre

MattMizenko.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's my beef aside from high race entry fees. A local race sells out a month before the race.... Then only 75% of the people that registered actually show up to race! What the heck is that all about? 150 out 600 people didn't even show up for race day. Was it the "yuppies" and "posers" that didn't show up because they partied to much the night before? I have no idea, but whoever they are, think twice before registering. A lot of folks out there would have liked to have raced on Sunday and couldn't thanks to those "yuppies" and "posers" or whatever group comprised the no-shows.

----------------------------------
Justin in Austin, get it? :)

Cool races:
- Redman
- Desoto American Triple T
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, ASUTriathlete, Triathlete mag certainly didn't help you make any friends if they did, indeed, edit your letter. Just understand that there are many of us a little further along in life and tri-experience who are getting the same treatment for any number of reasons. I got shut out of IMoo and IMFla both because I couldn't sign up due to uncertainty about where I would be this year, in the military. By the time I found out I wouldn't be going to the sandbox the races were closed out. Sure, I'm doing the Great Floridian, which is a great race, and White Lake 1/2, as well as a few other races in the year. But I missed the sign up dates for any races that would be Kona qualifiers.

It is frustrating to say the least, especially when it happens to "lesser" races such as the Set-up Inc. series that mostly appeal to regional and local racers. There just aren't enough races in the NC area for the budding triathlete crowd. California has no shortage of races, but the fees are steadily moving out of range for people thinking about doing their first one.

My best advice is to make what you can of a season this year, augmented by cycling and running races, which usually have plenty of room for race-day sign-up. And start picking your races for next year now. Pick a couple of A races, 2-4 B races, and some C races for fun/training. Do your $$ math now and get the $$ together. I was a college student once, I know you have ways of making $$ appear when you need it. Start signing up as soon as the races open up.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlete mag letter to the editor [Justin on LI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wether the race fills up or not is a testament to the race/sport popularity and that is not necessarily a bad thing but is an inconvenience. What I agree with is the high cost of entering races as a result of the sport/race popularity. Since the race is going to fill up lets charge an arm and a leg to exploit the race/sport popularity and make the most profit possible. Do I care about a huge race expo, covered transition areas or fancy needless stuff to make the race more "professional". When I started doing tri's in 94 there was a transition are volunteers, cops at the intersections and some post-race refreshments. You came raced your butt-off and went home happy and if you are lucky with a race t-shirt. All for $30-50.

Last year I did a race in Ventura, Dina La Vigna tri, no fancy stuff, simple transition area, well organized, no chip timing or prize money about 100 competitors and even a BBQ at the end. Awesome race, best one I done all year for $50 and part of that was for charity. So when the LA tri charges me a $100 or any tri-california event charges me way too much for any of their races all I hear is: SHOW ME THE MONEY!!! And don't even get me started on Mdot races!!

I am sure its a lot of work and effort to put these races on but there needs to be a balance between profit and exploitation.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What is this yuppie and poser crap. What is wrong with people in the sport. Who cares if they are rich, poor, old, young, fast, or slow. If a person has done a triathlon ALONE (not a relay) then they are not posers. The only thing I would say to solve the problem of closeouts are to get rid of relays. In my mind the only posers are those who do relays and call themselves triathletes. Last thing, who cares if yuppies have fast bikes. Good for them. I am sure they worked long hours for that money, and if that is what makes them happy, good for them. At least they aren't sitting on their butts watching t.v.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlete mag letter to the editor [MattMiz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The triathlete doth protest too much, methinks.

I'll grant you my "bike envy" if you'll grant me that there was a slight tone of defensiveness on your part. :-)

Maybe the guy with the sweet ride is a jerk to his kids, maybe the guy worked for Enron and bought the bike with someone's retirement money. Maybe the guy with the sweet bike is the best darn person in the history of the world.

But that's not what we're talking about. A triathlon is still a race. And yes, I do like passing people on the bike (especially those with bikes more expensive than my car), and yes, I do hate it when I get smoked on the run, or beaten by someone with hairy legs (that's the worst).

But to bring up someone's backstory dilutes the point. We all play little speed games when we train and race. I just shared mine. Maybe yours is to try and pass the dude who is half your age. Does that make the guy you passed any worse, or you any better?

Let's race! Oh, and have fun, too.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

No sidewindin bushwackin, hornswaglin, cracker croaker is gonna rouin me bishen cutter!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just wanted to say I admire your willingness to own your letter and to open yourself up to getting toasted. Speaks well of you!

Chappy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Their have been at least two swimming deaths that I can recall reading about over the last year or so. That may be the reason for the sky rocketing insureance cost. Just a thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would ditto everything you said. And race fees ARE ridiculous, and I think all those fat middle-age lawyers should try a sprint race before they buy that IM ticket. :)

When I started doing this stuff we'd have 20-50 people show up for some races. Now it seems that every guy who ever rode a bike for 5 minutes wants an IM tattoo on his arm. Have you noticed all the newbie bikes with aerobars on Ebay? It seems after 1 or 2 races they realize this stuff is hard, requires more than the ability to buy a lot of gear, and isn't for everyone. Yet, I encourage everyone who expresses an interest in triathlon to me to give a sprint race a try, but after they've gotten their 5'6" frame under 200 lbs. Did I mention middle aged guys are really the worst offenders? :)

Anyway, it won't last. It's just a fad. Hopscotch Volleyball on Rollerblades is next, didn't you hear? :)>

-Robert, who did his first triathlon on 5 weeks notice, though he was in pretty good shape anyway at the time.

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~Anne Frank
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlete mag letter to the editor [Justin on LI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Here's my beef aside from high race entry fees. A local race sells out a month before the race.... Then only 75% of the people that registered actually show up to race! What the heck is that all about? 150 out 600 people didn't even show up for race day. Was it the "yuppies" and "posers" that didn't show up because they partied to much the night before? I have no idea, but whoever they are, think twice before registering. A lot of folks out there would have liked to have raced on Sunday and couldn't thanks to those "yuppies" and "posers" or whatever group comprised the no-shows.

Justin,

I actually think the truth might be a bit different from what you're implying in your post; that is, that due precisely to the fact that the quick race sellouts force people to sign up so far before the races, in order to gain some scheduling flexibility those with the desire or the means to do so sign up for all the races they can. Then, when the race rolls around many people probably find themselves with other commitments, injuries, illness, or are not quite prepared to race.

Itchy Ghost

The deeper you get the sweeter the pain. Don't give up the game until your heart stops beating.
--New Order
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlete mag letter to the editor [itchyghost] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup, some Americans actually work for a living too....

-Robert

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~Anne Frank
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlete mag letter to the editor [P2kman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
P2kman, the author of the letter to the Triathlete magazine editor used those terms. He explains himself above. I simply quoted him in my original post. I think like you do... I love triathletes of all stripes....
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlete mag letter to the editor [Chappy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seconded
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lot of complaining for a luxury. no one has to do this. i hear all this complaining whining and griping. loose everythng and see how much that other dudes bike matters. why can't everyone just be thankful you can race. fat rich guys work just as hard as skinny poor guys.

stop whining, train harder and race faster.

i'll be cheering you on from the side lines for a long while.

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No worries, mate. I read a lot more into your post than I think you meant. Chock it up to a bad day at work I guess. I must confess, you hit a sweet spot with the hairy legs. I can take getting beaten by a guy on a clunker ride and I can take a guy with 30 pounds on me getting out of the water 10 minutes ahead of me, but hairy legs - no way. ;-)

See ya at the races.

"To give less than your best is to sacrifice the gift." - Pre

MattMizenko.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We all have the right to say what we feel. I even say somethings at times that I wish I could take back. I do have a problem with the word posser. I have been to races where I have an "A" race planned and I usually place. At other races I have a "C" race planned and people pass me , I know they think I'm a posser. I remember one race where I raced with some newbies and had some very negitive remarks made by the "good" racers as they passed me on my P3. Another race I woke up sick (beer must have been bad) I raced anyway but not very good. Who judges a "posser"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Which ASU is that?

If it's in Boone NC, there are several races put on by set-up inc in your area which are well run, relatively affordable and open.

If it's Arizona State, maybe someone else on the board can help you out.

Richard
Quote Reply

Prev Next