Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Claim by Fox Sports - cyclists are not althletes [Trianthes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, he just dogged weightlifting and swimming.
The Olympics sure are going to be shorter this year.
Quote Reply
Re: Claim by Fox Sports - cyclists are not althletes [EphFord] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
According to the dictionary an athlete is:

"A person possessing the natural or acquired traits, such as strength, agility, and endurance, that are necessary for physical exercise or sports, especially those performed in competitive contexts."

Case close.

---------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Claim by Fox Sports - cyclists are not althletes [davejakes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But it sure helps to be trained if you ever actually shoot a deer and have to drag it.

Which is why I always shoot my deer near the top of a hill. Work smarter, not harder.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: Claim by Fox Sports - cyclists are not althletes [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They are getting what they want...

A bunch of hits to their website so they can get more money from advertising. Create an article that inflames people and the money follow. If you write it, they will come.
Quote Reply
Re: Claim by Fox Sports - cyclists are not althletes [bunnyman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You guys are taking this way too seriously. Did you read the whole article? It's obviously tongue-in-cheek.

I think it's hilarious! Especially the parts about the bowlers, jockeys, and race car drivers.
Quote Reply
Re: Claim by Fox Sports - cyclists are not althletes [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So it looks like rail-thin Takeru "Tsunami" Kobayashi is an athlete! Cool!

http://www.nathansfamous.com/nathans/news/htmls/whats_new_main.asp

RE:
Dictionary.com defines athlete this way:

1. A person possessing the natural or acquired traits, such as strength, agility, and endurance, that are necessary for physical exercise or sports, especially those performed in competitive contexts

2. Any one trained to contend in exercises requiring great physical agility and strength; one who has great activity and strength; a champion.

3. One fitted for, or skilled in, intellectual contests; as, athletes of debate.

So I guess a golfer and bowler are not. But I would classify a cyclist and a jockey as an athlete.

Now maybe if the golf club weighed 50 lbs (22.7 kilograms for those of you that don't like the imperial system) we could classify it as a sport. Or maybe if the bowling pins came running out to tackle you if you missed them that could be too.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Re: Claim by Fox Sports - cyclists are not althletes [frogonawire] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The "Hey, Lady, I ain't no athlete, I'm a baseball player" quote the title of John Kruk's autobiography.

http://www.amazon.com/...v=glance&s=books
Quote Reply

Prev Next