Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Claim by Fox Sports - cyclists are not althletes
Quote | Reply
Take a look at this article from Fox Sports. The writer claims that bikers are not athletes.

http://msn.foxsports.com/story/2552718
Quote Reply
Re: Claim by Fox Sports - cyclists are not althletes [Trianthes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

"1. Mastery of one athletic motion does not make you an athlete"
"2. Endurance/stamina doesn't matter"

This should pretty much mean every runner from a sprinter to a marathon winner does not deserve merit as an athlete. Come on, this guy's a joke!
Quote Reply
Re: Claim by Fox Sports - cyclists are not althletes [Trianthes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Who cares?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
that crap comes out every year...the guy just wants to be funny...he is probably some armchair QB who knows everything about sports on TV and nothing about sports for real...

besides, they can't even come out with new jokes on the topic...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can't even find an e mail address to rip both Bern and the other guy a new one. Cyclists not athletes- I bet these guys consider sports writing an athletic activity. We all know that most (not all) North American sports writers are the dumb asses that drank through their college experience getting a C- average.

Remember Ron Borges, the arrogant asshole who said Lance was not an athlete? We need to mobilise against these retarded goons who disrespect our sport, as they add fuel to the firey rage against us by motorists. If we don't mobilise against people like this, we stand no chance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's why that son-of-a-bitch kept calling me Fred. I said, "MY NAME IS TOM!!!!!"

Gotta get a razor
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"The writer claims that bikers are not athletes." I claim Dayn Perry is not a writer. He(she) is also an ass.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love the part about cycling not requiring hand/eye coordination. Maybe we should put this guy on a bike in the middle of a crit pack. Or just push him onto a twisting, 10%+ grade descent...
Quote Reply
Re: Claim by Fox Sports - cyclists are not althletes [TriBriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think we ought to put this guy on a bike with unglued tubulars, poor brakes, then push him on a twisty 13% grade descent. Without a helmet, may I add.
Quote Reply
Re: Claim by Fox Sports - cyclists are not althletes [bunnyman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
daynperry@yahoo.com

He's a he. And there isn't any point in writing to this baseball "writer": he doesn't care. Bet on it.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Last edited by: klehner: Jul 1, 04 7:43
Quote Reply
Re: Claim by Fox Sports - cyclists are not althletes [bunnyman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Can't even find an e mail address to rip both Bern and the other guy a new one."

From another article... "Dayn Perry is a regular contributor to FOXSports.com and can be reached at his e-mail address: daynperry@yahoo.com."

Rip away. :)

-----

PS. I was searching on Google for this guys name in hopes to find a picture of him to see how "athletic" he was. I couldn't find a picture, but I did find a bunch of his articles on Baseball of all things... as if Baseball players are athletes... :P
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For such a lousy writer, he's getting a lot of people reading his article today.
Quote Reply
Re: Claim by Fox Sports - cyclists are not althletes [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
John Kruk, former Major League Baseball player, in response to a woman who criticized his eating, drinking, and smoking, "Lady, I ain't an athlete, I'm a baseball player."

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If articles/personalities like this do not receive attention .... they disappear.

The worst thing (for you) to give this guy is your outrage (i.e., attention).

=======================
-- Every morning brings opportunity;
Each evening offers judgement. --
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are they news or not?

It is Foxnews... do they even count?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Probably just a ploy to get traffic to his article.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fair, Balanced, and completely full of s**t.

Yup.

Fox to a tee.

MH

Tech writer/support on this here site. FIST school instructor and certified bike fitter. Formerly at Diamondback Bikes, LeMond Fitness, FSA, TiCycles, etc.
Coaching and bike fit - http://source-e.net/ Cyclocross blog - https://crosssports.net/ BJJ instruction - https://ballardbjj.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Claim by Fox Sports - cyclists are not althletes [fredly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Those who can, do. Those who can't, write. (Except for Demerly.) Those who can't do or write are me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Typical media hogwash. As with any broadcast or print stuff...consider the source.

Train hard...race well.
www.jimmishler.com
"Jim, I happen to agree with you" DougStern
Quote Reply
Re: Claim by Fox Sports - cyclists are not althletes [davejakes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
After a game former Phillie John Kruk (sp) was sitting at his locker smoking a ciggie and drinking a beer. A sports reporter asked him why an athlete would do these things to his body, his reply was I'm not an athlete, I'm a baseball player. The context may not be exact but the quote is pretty close.
Quote Reply
Re: Claim by Fox Sports - cyclists are not althletes [grumpyguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He was in an airport - he told this story about himself.

Quote Reply
Re: Claim by Fox Sports - cyclists are not althletes [davejakes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Those who can, do. Those who can't, write. (Except for Demerly.)

Nice save.

-------------------------------------
Steve Perkins
Quote Reply
Re: Claim by Fox Sports - cyclists are not althletes [steveperx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Crap! Bowling isn't a sport either? It is the only thing I am even close to being good at.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dictionary.com defines athlete this way:

1. A person possessing the natural or acquired traits, such as strength, agility, and endurance, that are necessary for physical exercise or sports, especially those performed in competitive contexts

2. Any one trained to contend in exercises requiring great physical agility and strength; one who has great activity and strength; a champion.

3. One fitted for, or skilled in, intellectual contests; as, athletes of debate.

So I guess a golfer and bowler are not. But I would classify a cyclist and a jockey as an athlete.

Now maybe if the golf club weighed 50 lbs (22.7 kilograms for those of you that don't like the imperial system) we could classify it as a sport. Or maybe if the bowling pins came running out to tackle you if you missed them that could be too.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Re: Claim by Fox Sports - cyclists are not althletes [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK, I'm a hunter and I agree that hunting isn't really a sport, and there are many, many non-athlete hunters. But it sure helps to be trained if you ever actually shoot a deer and have to drag it. AeT+!
Quote Reply

Prev Next