Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Time to expand the field @ Kona? [tornado] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They should also allow slots to be good for 2 IM's. The above avg AGer can't expect to do well in canada and do well in hawaii. A few yeah but not all. When you get your slot you, if they implemented this, need to tell them what year, this or next and your in. I think boston's qualifing times are good for 16months from date of qualifing.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Time to expand the field @ Kona? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree that getting rid of the slots at 1/2 Iron races is a good idea. Same rationale they probably used when they got rid of slots at olympic distance races. It does not make sense to qualify at another distance. Can you qual for Boston by running a half? Can you make the olympic swimming team in the 1500 mtr free by winning the 400 free at trials? Enuff said.
Quote Reply
Re: Time to expand the field @ Kona? [Mac] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think there are several reasons that Kona spots are offered over the 1/2IM distance:
  • For most people, it is difficult to race more than 1 IM per year
  • WTC is a business. Having qualifying spots in the half increases the demand and popularity over that distance which = $$$

I think it is good to have qualifying spots in half distance. More races can be offered and more people can attend those races and hope they qualify. Sure, Half IM require different training than IM distance. But the rules are the same for all.

�The greater danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it.� -Michelangelo

MoodBoost Drink : Mood Support + Energy.
Quote Reply
Re: Time to expand the field @ Kona? [theswiss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To expand on the idea of 2 waves, why not two Ironman Hawaii's? The demand is there. It could be the same weekend as the "championship" or any other time of the year...no bad weather.

How about an automatic slot to anyone completing 10 Ironmans without qualifying? It would be nice to see these folks get a shot at it. Or 15 if 10 is too easy.....
Quote Reply

Prev Next