Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Anyone set an Ironman PB after age 50? [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

With all inputs static, I agree. However, at 50+ many of us are now empty nesters, more disposable income to buy speed and invest in a good coach, and if lucky more occupational flexibility to enable more training on a daily basis. The added experience built over time makes a difference when it comes to pacing, nutrition and race strategy.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone set an Ironman PB after age 50? [samtridad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
samtridad wrote:
Are there any people out there who have managed to set a personal best at Ironman after age 50? How did you do it? What did it take? How did you modify your training from when you were younger? Did you take any (legal) supplements? Do you have any tips for a guy turning 49?!

I did. My first one was in 2016 at age 46. Most recent one was 2022 at 54, and shaved off almost 1:30. My training was better, my equipment was better, my nutrition and fueling were better, and my desire to race and not just finish was stronger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m trying to remember what it was like being 50.

"We’ve got to get in to get out.”
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone set an Ironman PB after age 50? [Schonner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Schonner wrote:

With all inputs static, I agree. However, at 50+ many of us are now empty nesters, more disposable income to buy speed and invest in a good coach, and if lucky more occupational flexibility to enable more training on a daily basis. The added experience built over time makes a difference when it comes to pacing, nutrition and race strategy.

I agree with that and there will be certainly be outliers and exceptions largely due to the reasons you and others mentioned.

But at a macro level look at the average times at any race by AG. The 50+ AGs are slower than the 18-49 AGs. Father Time always wins.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone set an Ironman PB after age 50? [Michal_CH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Michal_CH wrote:

Could somebody make a PB after 50? Sure. This is:
  • when starting with triathlon at e.g. age 48 or
  • when done his first IM distance after 50 or
  • when training below 10h/week for the last 10 years and suddenly gave up work and dedicated >15h/week for training or
  • when eventually got diagnosed with whatever illness (s)he been suffering from for year and finally received working medication or
  • when always raced with 120psi tubulars and then switched to 30mm wide tire hookless tubeless setup etc..

* When the ony FD IMs you did before 50 was extreme triatlons.

2x NXTRI in my 20`s, only HIM and sprints in the ~20 years since then, so if i hold out a couple of years more and then do a FD I'll easily set a PB with several hours ;D
Last edited by: EiE_: Apr 5, 24 6:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is an old saying with runners that you peak 8 years after you start serious training, at whatever age. I lost my peak 40 years ago :-)

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone set an Ironman PB after age 50? [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
david wrote:
There is an old saying with runners that you peak 8 years after you start serious training, at whatever age. I lost my peak 40 years ago :-)

I resemble this remark. Ran 7:08 1.5 miles in my military fitness test in sweats and canvas shoes in 1986. I would say that was my best ever run. I keep thinking with track spikes and a real track versus a road course with hills, that's a sub 4:30 mile (at least in a chat with slowman, he thought I should have done that, but I was soccer player and sprint track athlete before that, not an endurance guy although soccer is a combo, so I had the tools to go fast-ish over a mile in my youth).

But putting all the crying aside, you are an inspiration to the rest of us.

As for the graph, I would love to see the average times of the top 10 per age group at Ironman worlds and 70.3 Worlds. This would provide a proper gauge statistically of how much you should slow down if you train like the fast guys (not that you would have the same time, but largely the top 10 are uninjured and took care of health). So the decline of these guys is what is possible if you train hard and seriously and smart.
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Apr 5, 24 7:50
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone set an Ironman PB after age 50? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Data you're looking for is here: https://www.coachcox.co.uk/imstats/series/12/

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone set an Ironman PB after age 50? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Just to give some context when I was 25, I opened the front end of several open marathons sub 1:20 (generally 1:19xx). By 44, my open half marathon was 1:21. I could not even get close to my "jogging time from age 25". I did my half IM PB at 40 (4:14), but I never really raced a fast course at 25 (4:23 on 1990 gear, tech and training). My 56 year old PB on the same course I went 4:14 at 40 was 4:54). The 56 year old day was a lot slower on the bike due to wind, but also a 4km longer course (so 6.5 min there). The run alone was 23 minutes slower though, and granted transitions were longer (like 3 min longer) but 40 min slower is 40 min. Wind and a longer course only explains 10 min on 40. The rest is slowing down and at 58, I went 5:18 on the same course that I went 4:54 two years earlier (granted even a suckier day on the bike that was 12 min slower, swim was not wetsuit and 3 min slower and froze in a cold rain on the bike). I still THINK I can take it back under 5 hrs on a good day on that course this year at 59, but I gotta do it....times from the treadmill and the trainer and pool suggest it is possible, but that's cherry picking my good days in training....have to put them together in real life on a single day

All you guys talking about getting faster over 50 started late. You just did not race hard when you were 20-29 (or 30-34). Look at Lionel...he can't match his 20-29 times these days. Guys like Jan Frodeno are exceptional in their early 40's but they have to pick and choose battles. As is Cam Brown. That guy is insanely fast in his 50's, but he has the standard age degrading over his Kona podiums from his mid 20's.

If you started late 30's, got faster in 40's and think you'll be a stud in the 50's, you just may but eventually you become the guy with 25 years of miles in the legs who slows down. Enough miles in the legs and we all get slower. Some people start at 17 and hit that slowdown at 35 (example Alistair Brownlee). Some of you start at 35 and hit it at 50 - 52.

The fun part here is seeing who slows down less, but the funny things is the studs that beat me by 20 minutes when were were 25, beat me by 20 min now closing in on 60 !!! Just straight out age degradation from when we were younger (provided we stayed in decent shape...the guys who got waaaaay out of shape have zero chance...their age degradation is a disaster)

So... you peaked when you were 24 years old and are asking if you can PR again at 59? No, that is not likely but if anyone but you had opened this thread you would have jumped right in and told them that it was not likely. You already knew the answer to that so what is your real question? Are you wondering what you have to do to prevent fatigue and burn out from 25 years of mile in the legs who slow down? Are you wanting to know how women like Keira D'Amato and Sarah Hall are able to set National Records long after they were written off as too old to compete competitively? Are you wanting to know what the records is in the 70.3 for 59 year old guys who were doing 4:20 type times in their early 20's other. Yes, you are right. Everyone slows down with ago. Some burn themselves out in 5 years from following high volume training plan year round with now extended recover or time off. Others compete for years with less than ideal training and later in life make bigger gains through improved training, nutrition, form, technic, equipment, tech. etc. So, assuming that you do everything right from an early age you should see life time PR's in you prime. I thought I was doing everything right when I was in my 20's and 30's. I was told that if I wanted to be fast to not do a Marathon because it those races were very hard on the body and it was kill my speed for up to a year and I may not even get my speed back after that. I didn't cross train because I though that specificity would bring greater results in my area of focus and that diversification in training would just dilute my adaptations. My diet was the best I knew to do in my 20 and 30'. I eat clean, no sweets or junk food when I was 3 months out from races, etc. I got enough sleep, I trained as hard as I could, etc. Looking back on what I have changed in the past ten years and the different in results the difference is night and day. Good luck with the sub 5 hr goal at 59. You realize that they tons of guys in their 20's that have the same goal to break 5 hours who think they are doing everything right in their training/nutrition/rest/etc. Some of them will learn better ways to train/race later on and hit that goal later on in life. Those you actually are doing everything right will peak in their prime and post slow times later on.
Keira D'Amato
asking what
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting chart. I'm actually surprised the women don't show a similar or more pronounced dip than the men, it just seems that 40s is primetime for women AG Ironman athletes. Perhaps the chart simply speaks to how few women are doing Ironman in their 20s.

Related to the original topic, I've met quite a few people that continued to improve at running and triathlon from an already relatively high level until ~50yo. The consistent factors I've found amongst this group are:

- Relatively late start (were not a college runner, for instance)
- Lifestyle generally built around training
- High and increasing training load year over year (for many years)
- Avoid injuries and weight gain
- Likely: latent talent that most of us don't have

Anyway, it's my opinion that continuing to improve at something as endurance based and difficult to execute as Ironman up to 50ish is something many here, who didn't come close to their genetic ceiling, could theoretically accomplish. I just think doing it likely comes at the expense of committing to years of high volume training and not deciding to try it for a race you signed up for in nine months.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I went sub 9 days off my 50th , caveat it was Cozumel but even with the downhill swim I was sub 9 on not a great day

I age up to 55-59 next year and on a flat course I have a very low 9s in me ( assuming I can fix my dodgy back which has held me back for two years ) - I am happy about that as the 50-54 is crazy competitive

I started IM age 43 and was at my peak from 2016 to 2019 but never did a flat course so hard to compare
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
My guess is the only people doing that are folks that did their first IM after 50 (obviously a PB) or did their first at close to 50 and the next not long after turning 50.

There's just no way anyone is churning out a faster time at 50+ than they did in their 20s, 30s, or young 40s. Barring some kind of disaster at the race when they were younger or being a walking/talking pharmacological experiment.

I'll be 54 next month. Zero chance I'm setting a PB at this age. ZERO.

Father Time is and will always be undefeated.

Well... take this for what's it's worth:

My Ironman PB was Wisconsin in 2007. 10:19. Was my first IM. I have raced 6 IM distance races s after that, including Kona and Norseman. Other than outlier Norseman (black shirt), all were under 11 hrs (well, Kona 11:01)

Of those seven, my 7th full Irondistance was last September, age 53 in Chattanooga. I finished in 10:17. 3rd in AG (punched ticket to Kona again).

So... a PB at 53.

That said - yes, the swim is the swim there.

But that all said - more context: I ran Boston for the 4th time last year. Ran 3:08. Which was actually a PB from 9-10 standalone Marys. At Boston of all courses.

I'm running Boston again on 15th. And Unbound 200 on June 1. And Kona in October. Not a bad season.

Whether I'm better, near-same, or not, don't care... just having a hell of a lot of fun.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
samtridad wrote:
I did my first 70.3 at age 35 and carried on doing 70.3s pretty much every year after that until I set a PB last year (at age 48). I'm on the exact same bike, with the same race set-up (wheels etc.), doing the same volume of training (8-10 hours most weeks, some up to 12). So I know it's possible to set a PB at nearly 50 over a half-ironman... I'm curious to know if there is anyone out there who perhaps started Ironman racing in their late 30s/early 40s and then continued to improve their times into their 50s. I realise there's not much chance of a PB if they started Ironman racing in their 20s, but I think there must be some people who come to the sport later in life (perhaps around 40) and still find ways to improve at 50.

This describes me. I started in my 30s and set a PB in 70.3 distance last year at age 52. My workout structure has changed ie. I have a good coach that pushes me to my limit which i didn't have previously. That seems to be the biggest difference. I am also very close to my half marathon times from my 30s. I think that if I run focused, that I would be able to beat my PB in that distance as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone set an Ironman PB after age 50? [Dan Funk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sure the CHOO swim is the swim AND the bike is 4miles long... :)

IMO, 10:17 at CHOO is incredible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The question is very vague.
since you are asking the questions to AGers, there are tons of people out there who did their ironmans training with wrong strategy and methods, ending up in disasters for years and also for 10+ years. then at some point you meet the right guy/coach who makes you training smarter and you do your PB easy. this has nothing to do with your age.
professionals always peak in the 30s and this is due to genetic. then of course it is impossible for them to do a PB at 55 because they really hit their best at 30-35years

so asking this question to an AG means that you are searching for someone who performed well below his/her potential and then getting older, he/she trained only smarter.
so the answer is yes, there are many out there in this situation. not me :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dan Funk wrote:
The GMAN wrote:
My guess is the only people doing that are folks that did their first IM after 50 (obviously a PB) or did their first at close to 50 and the next not long after turning 50.

There's just no way anyone is churning out a faster time at 50+ than they did in their 20s, 30s, or young 40s. Barring some kind of disaster at the race when they were younger or being a walking/talking pharmacological experiment.

I'll be 54 next month. Zero chance I'm setting a PB at this age. ZERO.

Father Time is and will always be undefeated.

Well... take this for what's it's worth:

My Ironman PB was Wisconsin in 2007. 10:19. Was my first IM. I have raced 6 IM distance races s after that, including Kona and Norseman. Other than outlier Norseman (black shirt), all were under 11 hrs (well, Kona 11:01)

Of those seven, my 7th full Irondistance was last September, age 53 in Chattanooga. I finished in 10:17. 3rd in AG (punched ticket to Kona again).

So... a PB at 53.

That said - yes, the swim is the swim there.

But that all said - more context: I ran Boston for the 4th time last year. Ran 3:08. Which was actually a PB from 9-10 standalone Marys. At Boston of all courses.

I'm running Boston again on 15th. And Unbound 200 on June 1. And Kona in October. Not a bad season.

Whether I'm better, near-same, or not, don't care... just having a hell of a lot of fun.
\

I'd love to do Norseman someday! Congrats on the black shirt!
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone set an Ironman PB after age 50? [deantrives] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
deantrives wrote:
sure the CHOO swim is the swim AND the bike is 4miles long... :)

IMO, 10:17 at CHOO is incredible.

Thank you. And you're right, that bike is a little longer.

All in all - that loop across the river on the run at Choo is no joke. So I was pretty stoked.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
that course is legit even before factoring the oppressive heat and lack of shade.... you should be stoked.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone set an Ironman PB after age 50? [Plissken74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Plissken74 wrote:
The question is very vague.
since you are asking the questions to AGers, there are tons of people out there who did their ironmans training with wrong strategy and methods, ending up in disasters for years and also for 10+ years. then at some point you meet the right guy/coach who makes you training smarter and you do your PB easy. this has nothing to do with your age.
professionals always peak in the 30s and this is due to genetic. then of course it is impossible for them to do a PB at 55 because they really hit their best at 30-35years

so asking this question to an AG means that you are searching for someone who performed well below his/her potential and then getting older, he/she trained only smarter.
so the answer is yes, there are many out there in this situation. not me :-)

Not a particularly vague question, seems fairly clear: I'd like to know if anyone had their fastest race after age 50, for whatever reason. If people learned from their mistakes and went faster in spite of being older, then they might have useful tips for someone else trying to go faster in spite of getting older The problem I have is that I am sure I am making many mistakes in my training and racing, I just don't know what those mistakes are (it's hard to know what you don't know sometimes). By listening to advice from people who PBed at 50+, maybe I can improve...

So far, the tips I have heard from guys who went fast after 50 are:
1. get a coach and train smarter
2. buy better gear (I ride a 15 year old Cervelo P2)
3. retire and train more
4. wait for my kids to leave home and train more (my youngest child is 2, so...)

None of which is financially possible for me right now, so I'll hang tight in hopes of other tips.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
Schonner wrote:

I agree with that and there will be certainly be outliers and exceptions largely due to the reasons you and others mentioned.

But at a macro level look at the average times at any race by AG. The 50+ AGs are slower than the 18-49 AGs. Father Time always wins.

That graph is basically in line with the marathon world record by age chart. Around about 8% slower than peak for 50y

One saving grace in triathlons is that improvement in equipment can partially offset age losses. A 50yo today was racing at his peak in 1999, on round tubes and steel frames, racing flats, and probably not a wetsuit. Even going from peak 90's equip to peak 2020's equip is worth >8%
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My best 70.3 in my early 30s was a 4:14, and I did a 4:12 at age 46 (ran 3min faster). Can I do it now I am 50? I don't know, ad I don't ride nearly as much so my bike fitness is way down, but I definitely can run the same or close to the same as my 30s and close to my best of 1:21...

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone set an Ironman PB after age 50? [curtish26] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just to be clear, I am not trying to set PBs at 59 or 60, nor was I trying at 40 because I was quite athletic active from 14-30. What I am talking about is how close I or any of us can stay at 60 (or 50, or 40, or 37). I think ultimately that is the goal if wanting to staying in the game for times. There are other reasons to stay in the game and concede time performance if that is no longer exciting. In my case, my run times are so limited, that I like the race to T2 and then from there my goal is how my first quarter, second quarter, third and fourth quarter of a half IM run are even paced.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did my first Ironman in 1999, when I was 40 years old. Over the last 24 years, I've done the same Ironman Lake Placid course, so the course is 99.9% the same but my times have skyrocketed. Here's a snapshot:
Year Swim Bike Run Total 1999 1:38:05 6:21:33 3:54:26 12:13:43 2000 1:38:09 6:13:11 3:47:36 11:34:23 2001 1:13:00 5:40:40 3:44:13 10:52:16 2002 1:10:42 6:01:08 3:56:37 11:23:38 2003 1:12:11 6:41:11 4:11:47 12:20:51 2004 1:13:45 6:45:42 5:30:58 13:46:49 2005 1:13:43 6:56:33 4:21:24 12:51:18 2006 1:15:08 6:30:22 4:09:49 12:14:47 2007 1:16:15 6:40:31 5:12:39 13:31:01 2008 1:09:52 6:51:20 4:28:55 12:52:00 2009 1:12:01 6:34:28 4:16:46 12:26:24 2010 1:13:36 6:41:37 4:21:06 12:36:39 2011 1:11:44 6:43:43 4:44:56 12:58:57 2012 1:15:27 6:52:13 5:15:44 13:49:24 2013 1:15:14 6:26:17 5:15:27 13:24:16 2014 1:12:22 7:01:35 6:12:31 13:59:55 2015 1:15:54 7:14:37 6:57:39 15:57:30 2016 1:16:49 7:13:01 6:27:38 15:26:10 2017 1:18:17 7:28:11 6:31:47 15:48:50 2018 1:19:18 7:19:46 6:23:28 15:29:09 2019 1:17:38 7:13:31 6:49:42 15:50:06 2020 2021 1:15:55 7:37:04 6:51:51 16:21:41 2022 1:16:55 7:10:52 6:57:31 15:51:43 2023 1:18:04 7:27:34 6:44:53 15:52:32 2024 This will be a PR for me in the 65-69 AG.

I have a lot of excuses such as it rained one year, I had a hernia operation on June 1st and still did the race in July, dealt with a severe case of lyme disease, children, work, family, etc. The consistent item is 140.6 in the Adirondaks - nonetheless, it's a datapoint with the variables being age, technology, training, etc.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone set an Ironman PB after age 50? [candyman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The table was all screwed up in my last post. Here's the second attempt: Year Swim Bike Run Total
1999 1:38:05 6:21:33 3:54:26 12:13:43

2000 1:38:09 6:13:11 3:47:36 11:34:23

2001 1:13:00 5:40:40 3:44:13 10:52:16

2002 1:10:42 6:01:08 3:56:37 11:23:38

2003 1:12:11 6:41:11 4:11:47 12:20:51

2004 1:13:45 6:45:42 5:30:58 13:46:49

2005 1:13:43 6:56:33 4:21:24 12:51:18

2006 1:15:08 6:30:22 4:09:49 12:14:47

2007 1:16:15 6:40:31 5:12:39 13:31:01

2008 1:09:52 6:51:20 4:28:55 12:52:00

2009 1:12:01 6:34:28 4:16:46 12:26:24

2010 1:13:36 6:41:37 4:21:06 12:36:39

2011 1:11:44 6:43:43 4:44:56 12:58:57

2012 1:15:27 6:52:13 5:15:44 13:49:24

2013 1:15:14 6:26:17 5:15:27 13:24:16

2014 1:12:22 7:01:35 6:12:31 13:59:55

2015 1:15:54 7:14:37 6:57:39 15:57:30

2016 1:16:49 7:13:01 6:27:38 15:26:10

2017 1:18:17 7:28:11 6:31:47 15:48:50

2018 1:19:18 7:19:46 6:23:28 15:29:09

2019 1:17:38 7:13:31 6:49:42 15:50:06 2020 2021 1:15:55 7:37:04 6:51:51 16:21:41

2022 1:16:55 7:10:52 6:57:31 15:51:43

2023 1:18:04 7:27:34 6:44:53 15:52:32
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone set an Ironman PB after age 50? [CPT Chaos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CPT Chaos wrote:
My best 70.3 in my early 30s was a 4:14, and I did a 4:12 at age 46 (ran 3min faster). Can I do it now I am 50? I don't know, ad I don't ride nearly as much so my bike fitness is way down, but I definitely can run the same or close to the same as my 30s and close to my best of 1:21...

Let's make this happen at St. George 70.3!!!
Quote Reply

Prev Next