Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Ironman Lanzarote 2024 - cancelled?
Quote | Reply
News From Spanish Tri Outlet speculates in cancelation, as IMLZ is not on the IM published calendar of races for 2024, and as per below, no date is yet set (TBD)

Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Lanzarote 2024 - cancelled? [Mulen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

There is some information about Lanzarote in this thread:

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/..._view_collapsed&
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
clickbait
so many words saying nothing when the writer could just have called kenneth ....
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Lanzarote 2024 - cancelled? [pk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believe Kenneth is not in the IMLZ org anymore ... ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Apparently only 700 finishers in 2023. Does not (sadly) sound sustainable...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Before you all start your guessing:
  • IM Lanzarote is a licensed event, not owned by IM. Based on this, they might have not aligned the dates yet with IM. Also, IM has less interest in advertising the licensed events, compared to those they own.
  • IM Lanzarote 70.3's date hasn't been made public yet either.
  • The recent 70.3 was in March, but previously it used to be in autumn. Possibly they might want to reshuffle the calendar.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mulen wrote:
I believe Kenneth is not in the IMLZ org anymore ... ?

fair enough , but its still licened by club la santa as the article confirms,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Club La Santa is owned by a Danish Family. Gasque left (retired) in 2018.
700 participants has shown to be a too low number in the past
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mulen wrote:
Club La Santa is owned by a Danish Family. Gasque left (retired) in 2018.
700 participants has shown to be a too low number in the past

i would say that club la santa and the tourism department of lanzarotte have a good idea what the ironman brings them financially and they can lose some money on it as it is not only the race itself but training camps by participants and money spend by supporters.
it had 1127 signed up to race 2023 which should yield some profit
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
True. Let's hope you are right
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mulen wrote:

Thanks for checking directly. I'm glad I was right ;-)

Michal_CH wrote:
(...) they might have not aligned the dates yet with IM.(...)
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Lanzarote 2024 - cancelled? [Michal_CH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You were right? Am I missing something?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is a race that I've always wanted to do but has never worked out for us as a family.

As far as I can remember they almost always race about the third weekend in May, but they are also one of the last races to confirm their dates.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been hearing this on a yearly basis since I started doing triathlon in 2010. I asked my coach at the time, and he said the same. So basically, since the second edition.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have always wanted to do Ironman Lanzorate or even the 70.3. I've never been to the Canary Islands. From the US/Canada it's very hard to find flights that don't have multiple airline carriers and very long layovers. I truly believe there would be North Americans signing up for the Lanza races if we could get there without such difficulty. From Europe it's easy to fly to the Canaries. Like us getting to the Caribbean. Easy peasy for the most part.

If the races do happen in 2024, wouldn't it be cool to organize a charter flight to Lanzorate? Not sure if that's even possible but putting it out there in case someone has the knowledge or resources to organize or make something like this happen.

Death is easy....peaceful. Life is harder.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Lanzarote 2024 - cancelled? [Triingtotrain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Of course is possible. It would be a matter of a Travel Agency to organize the trip. The more ahtletes interested, the lower the costs. It is not that rare as every once in a while, an airline puts a direct flight between the USA and the Canary Islands. As today, I don't thinks there is any.

STRAVA INSTAGRAM
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Lanzarote 2024 - cancelled? [Dr. Triax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dr. Triax wrote:
Of course is possible. It would be a matter of a Travel Agency to organize the trip. The more ahtletes interested, the lower the costs. It is not that rare as every once in a while, an airline puts a direct flight between the USA and the Canary Islands. As today, I don't thinks there is any.

I believe United tried to do it a few years ago having a direct flight from Newark to Tenerife. Not sure how easy it is to get from Tenerife to Lanzorate. Maybe just a puddle jumper? Ferry?

I know I would be extremely interested in a chartered flight from the US to Lanzorate. Wouldn't have to worry about the bike making it there and dealing with multiple carriers losing the bike.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Triingtotrain wrote:

I believe United tried to do it a few years ago having a direct flight from Newark to Tenerife. Not sure how easy it is to get from Tenerife to Lanzorate. Maybe just a puddle jumper? Ferry?.

Very easy: multiple short turboprop flights throuout the day. There are two local carriers that operate within the different islands as an almost shuttle service.

As an anecdote, the worst aviation accident to date happened in Tenerife Norte airport back in 1977, between a PAN AM (JFK-LPA direct flight, diverted to TFN) and a KLM. So yes, direct flights between USA and the Canary Is. have happened since many years ago.

STRAVA INSTAGRAM
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was lucky enough to be at Club la Santa in may this year, 2 weeks before the ironman. I flew there from Mallorca which was a long trip and required a stop in Madrid but was otherwise pretty easy. Travelling home required a direct flight to London and then an overnight layover and airport transfer.

Lanzarote is pretty amazing. I'd go back for the ironman if there were easy travel options from Canada/USA

Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Lanzarote 2024 - cancelled? [tristorm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tristorm wrote:
I was lucky enough to be at Club la Santa in may this year, 2 weeks before the ironman. I flew there from Mallorca which was a long trip and required a stop in Madrid but was otherwise pretty easy. Travelling home required a direct flight to London and then an overnight layover and airport transfer.

Lanzarote is pretty amazing. I'd go back for the ironman if there were easy travel options from Canada/USA

An overnight layover sounds rough. I am getting too old for that kind of travel lol.

Every once in a while I look for flights from Montreal to Lanzorate (not a bad drive to Montrel for me). Many go to Madrid but the layovers are long and I still worry about multiple airlines losing my bike. I think you have to take a smaller airline from Madrid to Lanzorate if you take one of the major airlines from North America to Madrid or a bigger European city.

It's too bad as I know we'd love the Canary Islands. And I'd love to do one of the triathlon events over there. But the travel is just too difficult. If the race organization/Ironman could organize chartered flights where the athletes pay their own fare, I bet you could get at least a couple hundred more athletes wanting to see the Canary Islands for the first time and signing up for the races. The Canary Islands are very exotic and out of reach for us at the moment due to the difficult travel.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For what it’s worth club la Santa has rental TT bikes so that might be an option if you don’t want to travel with a bike. Not sure how many are available and how hard they’d be to reserve during the Ironman.

Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Lanzarote 2024 - cancelled? [tristorm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tristorm wrote:
For what it’s worth club la Santa has rental TT bikes so that might be an option if you don’t want to travel with a bike. Not sure how many are available and how hard they’d be to reserve during the Ironman.

If I were to do the 70.3 and could find a reasonable flight itinerary, I would be open to renting a TT bike. The European athletes can easily (compared to us) bring their own bikes over so I would think there could be rentals available. But who knows, you'd have to be on top of it and reserve it early.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Triingtotrain wrote:
Dr. Triax wrote:

I believe United tried to do it a few years ago having a direct flight from Newark to Tenerife. Not sure how easy it is to get from Tenerife to Lanzorate. Maybe just a puddle jumper? Ferry?

I know I would be extremely interested in a chartered flight from the US to Lanzorate. Wouldn't have to worry about the bike making it there and dealing with multiple carriers losing the bike.

United started non-stop Newark-Tenerife service last summer (2022), and is doing it again this summer. It's seasonal though, so it runs this from June 9th (this year), to Sept 26th, in a 757-200.

The funny part is while that's appealing to Americans trying to escape to Spain for the summer vacation season, the reality is the best times of year to be in Tenerife are really fall/spring (and even winter), in terms of escaping to warmer weather. But, maybe in time they'll expand the seasonal nature. I hear the route is doing fairly well for United.

-
My tiny little slice of the internets: dcrainmaker.com
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Lanzarote 2024 - cancelled? [dcrainmaker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another post from this website lacking credibility: https://tri-today.com/...ce-highly-uncertain/

Sometimes it seems like they’re scanning ST for rumors. On the other side, they lack diligence to review the posted above conversations with IM Lanza organizers… very bad journalism
Quote Reply

Prev Next