Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official Slowtwitch 16th Annual 100/100 Run Challenge (2022/23) Thread [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have really meant to emerge from lurk before this - after the first week, first month, first 50 days - but lurking, it seems, is a difficult habit to break.

I have been wanting to take on the 100/100 for years but this year it finally seemed doable. First, I wasnā€™t starting from zero, I had been running 3-4 times a week. Second, reducing the minimum to 2/20 made it approachable. Third, Iā€™ve had a friend who Iā€™ve been running with since high school join as well. Finally, I moved from Southern California to the dark and cold Pacific NW and I feared for my sanity if I didnā€™t keep exercising through the winter.

Iā€™m one run shy of par at the moment (took a day off after the first week), and all in all Iā€™ve been surprised at how doable it has been. I thought the cold would be the chief obstacle, turns out itā€™s the footing. The weeks of running on sheets of ice with spikes on my shoes were not exactly enjoyable. And Iā€™ve sprained an ankle twice, which sucks.

Thanks Slowtwitch for the community and the challenge. Itā€™s nice to be here.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 16th Annual 100/100 Run Challenge (2022/23) Thread [concreterun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Poll idea.. demographics on participants in this challenge, better yet one on those who achieve the goal vs do not
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 16th Annual 100/100 Run Challenge (2022/23) Thread [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What would you want to know? A multiple choice poll wouldn't work very well for demographics I the general sense.

54M, will achieve 100+
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 16th Annual 100/100 Run Challenge (2022/23) Thread [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ahh well... my wife I guess she would be considered young (38) dropped out. Wonder if older folks have the drive to finish more. Or is it male vs female thing?

Personal urrent update, caught bronchitis, did a 5k today in 20:36, so lost some fitness but considering my lungs are filled with phlegm maybe this can be considered altitude training?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 16th Annual 100/100 Run Challenge (2022/23) Thread [bsdcat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
11 runs behind now. Running twice a day is no big deal, which is good because itā€™s on tap for the next 11 days if Iā€™m going to make it.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 16th Annual 100/100 Run Challenge (2022/23) Thread [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
ahh well... my wife I guess she would be considered young (38) dropped out. Wonder if older folks have the drive to finish more. Or is it male vs female thing?

Hmm... I wouldn't attribute to age or sex-assigned-at-birth. People are just different. And this challenge, while not "hard", is not easy. Less than half of those who chose the sign-up (216 / 600) have completed greater than half of the runs.

Most people aren't into the daily grind. The fatigue of every damn day and sometimes twice, isn't always fun. Besides, I'm not entirely convinced of the utility of the 100 runs in 100 days... As a plan. So, for many if the suck isn't fun, and there really isn't a point.... Then what is the point?

Quote:

Personal urrent update, caught bronchitis, did a 5k today in 20:36, so lost some fitness but considering my lungs are filled with phlegm maybe this can be considered altitude training?

Lol. Nice time considering... (hope I can get back there at 54).... But, no I don't think it works that way. :=)

I've finally started to see some uptick in training paces. Granted it's only been 97 days since my first 30m continuous run. My long was 9mi today, and has been over an hour for the last three weeks. That coincides with the first noticeable signs of improved pace. I finally broke 9m / mi today at long-run pace.

That said, I'm sure I could be in better shape sooner by being a little more sane....and maybe take a day off. I'll take one (maybe two) in 11 days. :=)

I've signed up for another 5k next weekend. So, that will act as a good bookend for the 100/100, since I did one back on Turkey day. I'll be happy to break 24m. But, it's hard to let the legs freshen up and keep the pedal down on the 100/100.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 16th Annual 100/100 Run Challenge (2022/23) Thread [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
my wife being 38 is in the "millenial" generation. We have seen on this forum the decline in triathlon participation threads, so I think its correlated
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Iā€˜m 41 so I might be considered as a millenial too. I donā€™t plan to give up, day 90 and Iā€™m on target at the moment.
Iā€™ve added a 1000km goal too, Iā€™m right on par with 900km.
I have to say this challenge really got me out of the coach a couple of times.. or more accurately several dozens of times šŸ˜‚. Itā€™s been a great experience so far and seems to be quite good for my my running fitness.
I wonder how you manage the Ā« after Ā» challenge. When itā€™s over, not running for 1 or 2 days must feel weird, no? Do people feel guilty not running? Is there a detox plan? šŸ˜… (half kidding, half serious question)
Last edited by: pwai: Feb 12, 23 9:50
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 16th Annual 100/100 Run Challenge (2022/23) Thread [pwai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I 'curate' my own "Endless Summer 100/100" from Memorial Day to Labor Day

So my schedule is sort of like:

100/100
Spring races
100/100
Fall races

I was listening to an old episode of Road Dog Podcast last week, and the Luis referred to "road running" [specifically marathons, but I guess we could include HMs, 10Ks, 5Ks] as "street racing" and I said to myself 'Y'know? That sounds kinda badass!!! Punk Rock, if you will - I'm going to start incorporating that phrase/text into my own work'

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Last edited by: RandMart: Feb 13, 23 15:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
my wife being 38 is in the "millenial" generation. We have seen on this forum the decline in triathlon participation threads, so I think its correlated

I'm 38/millennial,. You can take her and my combined average and the millennials are back on track.

"If it costs you 30 minutes at Maryland so what" -dwreal
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 16th Annual 100/100 Run Challenge (2022/23) Thread [concreterun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
concreterun wrote:
I have really meant to emerge from lurk before this - after the first week, first month, first 50 days - but lurking, it seems, is a difficult habit to break.

I have been wanting to take on the 100/100 for years but this year it finally seemed doable. First, I wasnā€™t starting from zero, I had been running 3-4 times a week. Second, reducing the minimum to 2/20 made it approachable. Third, Iā€™ve had a friend who Iā€™ve been running with since high school join as well. Finally, I moved from Southern California to the dark and cold Pacific NW and I feared for my sanity if I didnā€™t keep exercising through the winter.

Iā€™m one run shy of par at the moment (took a day off after the first week), and all in all Iā€™ve been surprised at how doable it has been. I thought the cold would be the chief obstacle, turns out itā€™s the footing. The weeks of running on sheets of ice with spikes on my shoes were not exactly enjoyable. And Iā€™ve sprained an ankle twice, which sucks.

Thanks Slowtwitch for the community and the challenge. Itā€™s nice to be here.

Congrats, and welcome to the group

"If it costs you 30 minutes at Maryland so what" -dwreal
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 16th Annual 100/100 Run Challenge (2022/23) Thread [bluestacks867] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, bluestacks867!

Gen-X slacker here; 57 year old female. Iā€™ve got two goals for running, Number one, keep running. Number two, donā€™t get injured. This challenge seemed like a great way to accomplish both. Maybe thatā€™s a bit counterintuitive, but, because I had to run every day I had to be extremely conservative and careful about distance and speed. I also built injury prevention exercises into the routine, which I think had a big impact on my successā€” so far, donā€™t want to jinx anything with 5 days to go.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 16th Annual 100/100 Run Challenge (2022/23) Thread [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow. First time posting in here. I was unsure how well this challenge would go, but with only a few days left, I must say it went great. This was my first time doing this. Previously my longest run streak was 30 days. Now Iā€™m almost at 100 days and time really flew by and Iā€™m feeling as good as the day we started and thatā€™s with still keeping a consistent bike, swim and strength program going. Congrats to everyone who participated and have a great upcoming season!! Thanks Slowtwitch for hosting the challenge also!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
It was a rainy turkey trot here in Dallas. Given that I'm 3 weeks into regular running, I'm calling this a baseline.

26:33. M54

For bookendings sake....did another 5k today.

23:18 M54. 2nd place male masters. 9th OA.

I started out trading places with a guy who looked to be about my age, maybe a few years older. Eventually, I ended up about 10 yards back after the first mile. I'd hoped to stay in contact and maybe out kick him in the last 1/2mi or so. But, that was not to be. He steadily moved a little farther away. He took first in masters, ~30s in front. ..... Next time... Turns out he was 58.

Nevertheless, 1 min/mi improvement since Thanksgiving. Not quite back to ~19m pace from 18 months ago, but I'll take it.

Now back to doubles and triples to finish this 100/100 out strong.

Last edited by: Tom_hampton: Feb 18, 23 8:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
Tom_hampton wrote:
It was a rainy turkey trot here in Dallas. Given that I'm 3 weeks into regular running, I'm calling this a baseline.

26:33. M54

For bookendings sake....did another 5k today.

23:18 M54. 2nd place male masters. 9th OA.

I started out trading places with a guy who looked to be about my age, maybe a few years older. Eventually, I ended up about 10 yards back after the first mile. I'd hoped to stay in contact and maybe out kick him in the last 1/2mi or so. But, that was not to be. He steadily moved a little farther away. He took first in masters, ~30s in front. ..... Next time... Turns out he was 58.

Nevertheless, 1 min/mi improvement since Thanksgiving. Not quite back to ~19m pace from 18 months ago, but I'll take it.

Now back to doubles and triples to finish this 100/100 out strong.

That's amazing work, Tom! Well done!

With 4 days to go, there are a solid hundred people in reach of success. I hope that everyone has had similar improvements to Tom. I know I have, but I did no 5k race at the start to compare with.

-Eric
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 16th Annual 100/100 Run Challenge (2022/23) Thread [EricTheBiking] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I'm trying to do my little heart logo justice.

It's all thanks to the 100/100. It's gets you out the door or onto the TM at times when you otherwise wouldn't.

I hadn't run in over a year before the start of this thing this year. I'd been having a lot of trouble with my ankle where the vein graft was taken for the bypass surgery.

But because my sister wanted to do a family turkey trot, in October I'd started a couch to 5k run/walk plan... And my first 25m continuous run was like 8 days before this thing kicked off. I really wasn't sure what to expect from the ankle.

I really do think that the format of the 100/100 and the way it encourages many small runs, and the way the every-damn-day nature forces you to slow down has had a lot to do with my ankle coming back around. In the last few weeks I've been able to start working some tempo and threshold work back into the schedule without any pain.

I hope everyone else has been able to see similar benefits.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
I really do think that the format of the 100/100 and the way it encourages many small runs, and the way the every-damn-day nature forces you to slow down has had a lot to do with my ankle coming back around. In the last few weeks I've been able to start working some tempo and threshold work back into the schedule without any pain.

I hope everyone else has been able to see similar benefits.

I just today got caught up, 98 runs, after falling in a big hole in January when my back went out on me. I was thinking the same thing. The 2 mile runs allowed the frequency (2 a days) I needed and got me running again. I wasn't real keen when the minimum rule changed but I certainly benefited from it this challenge. And I too just started adding intensity with the 2 milers. It's working pretty well (knock on wood).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
well, the finish is in sight and i'm still here. first time trying the challenge and i'm at day 98 without missing a single day (actually, it's day 100 because i started 2 days early!). getting them in every day has been challenging with travel and going to the mountains almost every weekend. at least the rental condo has a clubhouse with a treadmill, and i have ZWIFT with a treadmill at home to avoid risking a tragedy on ice during the colorado winter. it's been a great way to build my run fitness during the winter and i've seen some real improvement since nov15. in my ZWIFT runs i've clocked a 23min 5k and a 47min 10k. current totals at day 98 have me at 261.7miles, averaging 9.13 pace. far from my old pb, but i'll take it at age 72. now that i've gotten this far i'll probably just keep going.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats! Is today the final day or tomorrow (22 Feb?).

I have been generally jogging 25-40 min most days and looked at the log and just passed my goal of 500km total. Looks like I will end up at 93 or 94 runs depending on tomorrow !!! I think I am running a bit better than at a start, but minimally the 500km ensured I have a starting point for tri season!
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 16th Annual 100/100 Run Challenge (2022/23) Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Congrats! Is today the final day or tomorrow (22 Feb?).

I have been generally jogging 25-40 min most days and looked at the log and just passed my goal of 500km total. Looks like I will end up at 93 or 94 runs depending on tomorrow !!! I think I am running a bit better than at a start, but minimally the 500km ensured I have a starting point for tri season!

Today is day 99. Tomorrow is the last day (on North American side of the dateline).
Last edited by: Tom_hampton: Feb 21, 23 11:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello slowtwitchers, first post here.
Finally the last day of 100/100, 2 runs short this year, not sure if I still have time to make it up to 100.
I joined last year but only got to about 50 runs, so quite an improvement this year.
Looking forward for the next one!
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 16th Annual 100/100 Run Challenge (2022/23) Thread [Sibiru] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You have the rest of today and all day tomorrow to get your last two!

You. Can. Do. It!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Tom...!

Will squeeze in couple more runs after work and first thing in the morning tomorrow
(I'm in southern hemisphere, UTC/GMT +7, so it's Wednesday morning here)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have two runs to do today to hit 100. Itā€™s rainy today, so a short dreadmill run & then a ride on the trainer & another run after the ride.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I fell while skiing 17 days ago and likely broke a couple ribs. Up until that point I was exactly on schedule to run the full 100. There have been multiple days off since then ā€¦.. shuffling through two miles while taking very shallow breaths was interesting. The challenge ā€œforcedā€ me to keep getting out the door and I think it was good for me to keep moving at whatever pace I could manage. The last two days I have finally turned a corner. Deep breaths are still uncomfortable and sneezing is pure agony, but somehow I have managed to run and even inject a little pace. Iā€™m hopeful that in 7.5 weeks I will be healed up enough to run a respectable marathon.

Thanks for a fun challenge.

----------------------------
Jason
None of the secrets of success will work unless you do.
Quote Reply

Prev Next