Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: New ATF ruling on Pistol Braces. [svennn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
svennn wrote:
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
jmh wrote:
Depends. Concealment is one. Maneuverability, especially in tight spaces is another (like a clearing a building). Shorter overall length when using a suppressor often a reason. It looks like the rifles used by real action guys use is another.

Good info, thanks.

But why would a civilian who is purchasing a rifle for personal use (such as home defense, sport, or hunting) need to worry about concealment and clearing a building?

Just say what you want to say. It's obvious to anyone with half a brain you have something in mind.....

I did have anything to say, I more had a question: why would a civilian purchasing a rifle for personal use (such as home defense, sport, or hunting) need to worry about concealment and clearing a building?

ps. I watched some videos on SBRs and the whole pistol brace issue. I can agree with gun nutters on at least one thing: US state and federal regs on firearms are a complete and utter mess. And then to have different laws apply when a person moves from one part of the usa to another is just a further cluster. All of the laws should be re-written, we should start from scratch. And we should not have state by state gun regs, we should have one set of simple federal regs for the entire country. Rant over.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: New ATF ruling on Pistol Braces. [Yeeper] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeeper wrote:
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
jmh wrote:
Depends. Concealment is one. Maneuverability, especially in tight spaces is another (like a clearing a building). Shorter overall length when using a suppressor often a reason. It looks like the rifles used by real action guys use is another.

Good info, thanks.

But why would a civilian who is purchasing a rifle for personal use (such as home defense, sport, or hunting) need to worry about concealment and clearing a building?

Maneuverability at home for ease of defense if needed. Kind of why short barreled shotguns are chosen for hone defense. Mosberg shockwave is 14”.

Ok, that makes sense.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.

--
Quote Reply
Re: New ATF ruling on Pistol Braces. [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:

Good info, thanks.

I wouldn't be too worried about "concealment" but maneuverability is key. Clearing a building would just be a vague term to describe making sure no one is in your home and getting around corners (i.e. looking around a corner with your firearm ready) is easier with a shorter barrel.

One thing that movies get very wrong is the volume, if you had to fire a shorter barreled rifle (or handgun, or really any firearm) in your house with no ear protection you would likely be in pain from the noise level. And the shorter barrel rifles are WAY louder.
Last edited by: jkhayc: Sep 8, 22 10:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NRA provides help if you pay for Carry Guard insurance.
. http://graphics.nra.org/wayne/7445-d.html

They also have grants from a civil rights defense fund.
. https://www.nradefensefund.org/request-help/
Quote Reply
Re: New ATF ruling on Pistol Braces. [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
One thing that movies get very wrong is the volume, if you had to fire a shorter barreled rifle (or handgun, or really any firearm) in your house with no ear protection you would likely be in pain from the noise level. And the shorter barrel rifles are WAY louder.

I can only imagine. I have been at an indoor range with earplugs and over ear hearing protection over that, and the folks firing a full length semi auto rifle next to me were indeed very, very loud.

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
jkhayc wrote:

I can only imagine. I have been at an indoor range with earplugs and over ear hearing protection over that, and the folks firing a full length semi auto rifle next to me were indeed very, very loud.

A suppressor is very good addition to any rifle.
Comes in many flavors

Quote Reply
Re: New ATF ruling on Pistol Braces. [Constantine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have never used one, but sounds very wise.

Do they have a limited life?
Or essentially unlimited, unless they break?

Any additional regulatory requirements to purchase or own one?

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Silencers do have to be cleaned and serviced from time to time.

Silencers are illegal in eight states.

In the other states, you must purchase a $200 tax stamp for each silencer.

If you get caught with a silencer and haven't paid the tax, expect to go to prison for a few years.
Quote Reply
Re: New ATF ruling on Pistol Braces. [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
Silencers do have to be cleaned and serviced from time to time.

Silencers are illegal in eight states.

In the other states, you must purchase a $200 tax stamp for each silencer.

If you get caught with a silencer and haven't paid the tax, expect to go to prison for a few years.

Definitely one of the dumbest laws/rules I can think of. Safety precautions are rarely a felony but then again...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
$200 annually or a one time fee?

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
$200 annually or a one time fee?

One time for that owner.

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
, but what is the big advantage to a SBR?

Can’t believe you have to ask this. And in this forum. This should be basic knowledge but you just don’t get it…

It allows someone to challenge themself and combine three different sports for exercise and fun. Also an excuse to wear tight clothing.

Let’s not derail the thread though. And aim surprised Blep hasn’t been triggered yet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeeper wrote:
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:

Can’t believe you have to ask this. And in this forum. This should be basic knowledge but you just don’t get it…

It allows someone to challenge themself and combine three different sports for exercise and fun. Also an excuse to wear tight clothing.

Let’s not derail the thread though. And aim surprised Blep hasn’t been triggered yet.

I had to read that a few times before I got the joke. Time for coffee.

3 Points.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeeper wrote:
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:

Must be due to that "intellectual dishonesty due to your bias", or whatever that means ...

--
Quote Reply
Re: New ATF ruling on Pistol Braces. [patf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 asking for a friend who owns a CZ Scorpion with a brace. Does my friend have to register it, pay $200? Is there in fact a grace period?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I believe the actual rule was as predicted. Pistol braces are now qualify any gun with a barrel shorter than 16" as a "short barrel rifle" and must be registered under the Natiional Firearms Act of 1934 (I think, don't quote me).

Uproar and lawsuits as predicted.
Quote Reply
Re: New ATF ruling on Pistol Braces. [WellMannered] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WellMannered wrote:
asking for a friend who owns a CZ Scorpion with a brace. Does my friend have to register it, pay $200? Is there in fact a grace period?

There is a 120 day "free period" for people with a braced "sbr" to register them with the ATF.
Quote Reply
Re: New ATF ruling on Pistol Braces. [307trout] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
307trout wrote:
WellMannered wrote:

There is a 120 day "free period" for people with a braced "sbr" to register them with the ATF.

The 120 day window starts once it is published in the Federal Registry. Not sure how long it takes for that to happen.

Quote:
The rule goes into effect on the date of publication in the Federal Register. The rule allows for a 120-day period for manufacturers, dealers, and individuals to register tax-free any existing NFA short-barreled rifles covered by the rule. Other options including removing the stabilizing brace to return the firearm to a pistol or surrendering covered short-barreled rifles to ATF. Nothing in this rule bans stabilizing braces or the use of stabilizing braces on pistols.

https://www.justice.gov/...ssories-used-convert

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Re: New ATF ruling on Pistol Braces. [jmh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It should be published today or tomorrow.
Quote Reply
Re: New ATF ruling on Pistol Braces. [WellMannered] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WellMannered wrote:

I have a CZ Scorpion and it falls into the category, but wait a couple months laws suits should put this on the back burner, they have brought this pony show out before.

** how is it possible for the ATF process millions of “brace applications “ ?.?., once you file and after 88 days of a open back ground check is a automatic disapproval then comes a enforcement action.
Now you have a SBR and you are a criminal.
Last edited by: Constantine: Jan 20, 23 11:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
It should be published today or tomorrow.

I don't see it on the Federal Register yet.

https://www.federalregister.gov/

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am thinking that the ATF is reconsidering this rule due to recent ruling on bumpstocks.
Quote Reply
Re: New ATF ruling on Pistol Braces. [Constantine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m watching this as well.

Brigade Arms 9mm with 10.5” barrel and a brace.

2nd favorite after my JP 9mm PCC.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ATF just announced that the rule should be published on January 31.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://www.federalregister.gov/...d-stabilizing-braces

The rule was just published.

Let the lawsuits begin.
Quote Reply

Prev Next