Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official Slowtwitch 16th Annual 100/100 Run Challenge (2022/23) Thread [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From the "I was on a podcast" thread

Quote:
RandMart wrote:
I will say this, though - I've noticed that a lot of participants in the 100/100 have ZERO forum posts

I'm sorry ... I'm still thinking about this

So, there are people who have joined Slowtwitch.com and created a profile, logged into the Training Log, linked it to their Strava account, and enrolled in the 100/100 challenge, yet remain Lurkers

The questions are:
1) How did they find ST?
2) Who told them about the 100/100 Challenge?
3) How did they find the Training Log?
4) Why aren't they posting?

Slowtwitch isn't Fight Club; you are more than welcome to talk about it - encouraged to do so, even*

I had a line on my Profile on another Running Forum that I used to attend which said "Non-Repentant Slowtwitcher"

* I'm guessing some people found out about ST from other members who are already doing/have done 100/100 and they were curious enough to come on over, so maybe #2 happened before #1 for them?

Maybe next year we make a requirement that each participant needs to make at least ONE forum post within the 100 days to validate results - it could be "Hello, I'm in" or "Hello, I'm done" or "You people are weird" or anything at all

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 16th Annual 100/100 Run Challenge (2022/23) Thread [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
From the "I was on a podcast" thread

Quote:
RandMart wrote:
I will say this, though - I've noticed that a lot of participants in the 100/100 have ZERO forum posts

I'm sorry ... I'm still thinking about this

So, there are people who have joined Slowtwitch.com and created a profile, logged into the Training Log, linked it to their Strava account, and enrolled in the 100/100 challenge, yet remain Lurkers

The questions are:
1) How did they find ST?
2) Who told them about the 100/100 Challenge?
3) How did they find the Training Log?
4) Why aren't they posting?

Slowtwitch isn't Fight Club; you are more than welcome to talk about it - encouraged to do so, even*

I had a line on my Profile on another Running Forum that I used to attend which said "Non-Repentant Slowtwitcher"

* I'm guessing some people found out about ST from other members who are already doing/have done 100/100 and they were curious enough to come on over, so maybe #2 happened before #1 for them?

Maybe next year we make a requirement that each participant needs to make at least ONE forum post within the 100 days to validate results - it could be "Hello, I'm in" or "Hello, I'm done" or "You people are weird" or anything at all

I lurked for a long time before I made my first post. I think I have been here for 10+ years and I still don't post much but I check in every day for my endurance news fix and forum hijinx.

I think anything that directs more traffic to ST should be encouraged. Who knows? Maybe someone who shows up for the 100/100 becomes Dev Paul in 10 years.......

----------------------------
Jason
None of the secrets of success will work unless you do.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 16th Annual 100/100 Run Challenge (2022/23) Thread [wannabefaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Merry belated Christmas hundred-ers!

Still running (though haven't had time to update my training log for awhile) and on pace to make 100, while working through a sick cat and trying to move my mum to a retirement residence. We got hit with the nasty winter storm late last week and very cold temps for a bit (laughing a little over "extreme cold Florida" - my wool neck gaiter froze solid on me both times I was out last Saturday), but it's now turned mild and rainy so all the lovely snowshoeing/xc skiing conditions were fleeting. A couple of weeks' worth of photos:

Saturday the 17th was a beautiful day - sunshine, swans on the river, enough snow to look pretty but not to make running difficult.

Also enough to reflect the glow of the city lights so I didn't need a headlamp for most of my 2nd run

..though I turned it on to highlight an annual tradition

I don't know who puts the wreath there, but I'm always happy they do

A bit grey the next day, but still beautiful in the woods - the dusting of snow highlighting the fascinating root patterns

Monday I went into my hometown to help out my mum, but since I end up getting there very early (we only have one car; my husband works in my hometown, an hour from where we live, and has to be at work for 8.30am) so I went for a run when I arrived to let my mum sleep in.

Gorgeous morning with flurries of shining snowflakes falling through the brilliant sun

This is part of a trail my father - who passed away 10 years ago - used to walk each day. Running it felt like a way to say goodbye to a town that has been such a huge part of my life (I lived there for 20yrs, moved away, moved back for 1.5yrs, and moved to my current home in Nov 2003. I continued to work there until Aug 2020).

I went into the office for the last time before our holiday shutdown on Tuesday the 20th, running from the office after dark - I'm lucky to have beautiful lit, maintained pathways very near my office!

Some really neat icicles off a maintenance building caught my eye

I worked from home Wednesday, but was back into Mississauga on Thursday to help my mum out again. I found that the Culham Trail covered much more area than I'd thought, and passes through the Riverwood Conservancy, which I decided to check out.

Some neat wood carving in a dead tree:

The Credit River

There's a bit of singletrack, as well as the groomed trail itself

Was grateful I'd brought spikes!

..and also grateful for another beautiful day to explore. I saw the trail continued well beyond where I followed it, but I didn't have time for more than the 9km I got in. I was gutted that I was only discovering this gem in time to sever my ties with the city, but I'm thankful I got to see it!

Friday off, then back to the market Saturday via a now much snowier trail

It was bitterly cold: -15c/5f, with a windchill of -27c/-17f and powerful gusts that made the iced-up branches creak and crack as I ran through the woods.

It was even creepier after dark, though the wind had eased a bit (from 75kph/46mph down to 54kph/33mph) - still no headlamp required

Christmas morning I finally got to take advantage of all the new snow with a snowshoe run! Was rather grateful I was wearing them when I got to the top of a hill with just a small line of low trees between it and an open field to windward - the drifting was a bit of a challenge!

I actually got a round of applause from a couple who were walking the other way as I ran past, though they may also have been taken with my outfit

(I made the skirt and mittens out of some polar fleece last year, and the latter have sleigh bells sewn on which ring when I run)

Some more running through Narnia on Boxing Day, after a lovely xc ski with my sweetheart

Then another snowshoe run on the 27th, in the awesome Semi-Rad hat my husband got for me for Christmas

He had to work Wednesday, so I was without a car to get to any trails - ordinarily I wouldn't bother posting a photo from a road run around my neighbourhood, but..

Yesterday I was back into Mississauga to help out again, and found yet another new-to-me trail - Sawmill Valley, which connects to the end of the Culham trail

Crossing the Credit River on the pedestrian bridge from Erindale Park

Lots of boardwalks - this is probably very marshy in wet years

The trail was mostly clear, which was a good thing as I hadn't brought spikes - there were still some icy patches, but they were runnable or avoidable in the shoes I wore

Sawmill Creek is absolutely stunning, though, with its many tiny stepped falls

A little more than 9.5km later, and once again I'm grateful to have been able to see all this at least once before my association with the city ends.

Happy new year to you all!

Quote | Reply
Beautiful!

Love the icicles (and your smile)!!

getting close to the halfway point and for the first time in history, I am still holding pace--46/46 as of today with another double to catch up....

will have more challenges with a few getaways coming up but it's always a 'do your best, forget the rest' kind of thing-
Last edited by: dtoce: Dec 30, 22 15:27
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 16th Annual 100/100 Run Challenge (2022/23) Thread [mistressk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Then another snowshoe run on the 27th, in the awesome Semi-Rad hat my husband got for me for Christmas

I don't have the hat, but I have the books

Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 16th Annual 100/100 Run Challenge (2022/23) Thread [mistressk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you for these. I always enjoy your pictures and perspective. The picture of your father's trail really stuck a chord with me.
This has been a weird Christmas.

Between the early winter storm, and covid running through our household starting the 20th (daughter first, me second, and now my wife) ... plans were essentially, canceled.

In addition Mom's dimentia has really advanced in the last couple months. It's too the point that she's largely incoherent, and can no longer distinguish memories, hallucinations, and reality. There are still occasional glimpses of her (mostly in the mornings), but they are rarer and "less". My guess is this was the last holiday season with some chance of remembering things WITH her. We'd planned to spent the week together with the extended family. Sometimes the world makes different plans for you.

Anyway... I lost 6 days of running to covid. I did manage a feeble, but qualifying attempt at a run today. So I'm 40/46.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 16th Annual 100/100 Run Challenge (2022/23) Thread [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Today was year 9 of running everyday…… 12/31/2013 to today and beyond
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 16th Annual 100/100 Run Challenge (2022/23) Thread [Sbernardi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mighty impressive!

*(although I think streaks can cause/perpetuate injuries so I'm not a personal advocate)
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 16th Annual 100/100 Run Challenge (2022/23) Thread [dtoce] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Greetings! Saw this blasted all over the socials on NYE, so figured this would be a good way to kick off 2023...a resolution I suppose. Ran for about 3 miles on New Years Day so off to a good start!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been terrible at keeping up with the Log, but I think we're all settled now - I put in the missing mileage, but the exact times of day might be off [morning runs vs afternoon runs], if anyone wants to audit me

Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 16th Annual 100/100 Run Challenge (2022/23) Thread [Sbernardi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sbernardi wrote:
Today was year 9 of running everyday…… 12/31/2013 to today and beyond

Congrats on this!!!

If I have it right today is day 50 of 100/100.

I remember when I did my first 50 in the winter of 2006-2007. Hitting day 50 and not missing a day felt like a massive achievement. Up to then, I had never run more than 10 days in row in my life. I think as of today I have done 46 runs on the new 20 minutes target, and at 26 hrs total, so on track to hit 50 hrs at 100 days which would be the volume equivalent of the old 100/100 minimum. Let's see. Some days body feels pretty good, other day, still getting better from disc reinjury last summer. I have been mainly jogging really slow with a rehab focus and it is working. There are some days that I do 10 min jogging before work on treadmill at home and then do 10-15 min more after swimming. I hit the minimum for the day and keep a lid on things in terms of making forward progress. So its all good. Some day I think I will be set for the 4x half IM's I had already signed up for next summer some days I think that will be too much ! Let's see, but the current jogging routine is just about right.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
I've been terrible at keeping up with the Log, but I think we're all settled now - I put in the missing mileage, but the exact times of day might be off [morning runs vs afternoon runs], if anyone wants to audit me

We will need photocopies of your written log in order to conduct said Audit, with two witness signatures (wet sigs preferably, please). ;-)

....or, we could just trust you.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 16th Annual 100/100 Run Challenge (2022/23) Thread [madMike100] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
madMike100 wrote:
Blue: Fantastic job; helps me keep going during the times each day when I'm just not into it. (And do you also live in Maryland, or is it just your tag line?)

Hey MadMike - sorry for the delay responding. I'm from Harrisburg, PA - yeah, the Maryland reference is my running mantra that stole from a random STer's comment. Your miles and duration is super impressive - the motivation and inspiration goes both ways. A lot of stories on this thread motivate me. I enjoy logging in now and then to read how everyone is doing. I'll try to post an update this week. I have an interesting "Last Man Standing" race coming up this Saturday. It will be an interesting pacing strategy.

"If it costs you 30 minutes at Maryland so what" -dwreal
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 16th Annual 100/100 Run Challenge (2022/23) Thread [bluestacks867] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I finally reached 50 runs. 4 behind 100/100 pace, averaging 34 minutes per run at this point. It is a bit more than I tought I would be doing, but that's fine.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 16th Annual 100/100 Run Challenge (2022/23) Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
I finally reached 50 runs. 4 behind 100/100 pace, averaging 34 minutes per run at this point. It is a bit more than I tought I would be doing, but that's fine.

It looks like I managed 37 miles (in 8 runs) in the last 7 days. Who knew?! I hadn't been paying attention, but was scrolling through Garmin after running today, and saw the 7-day total. That's the magic of just running every day.

Still slow, but, hopefully that will come around in the next few months.
Last edited by: Tom_hampton: Jan 7, 23 17:21
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 16th Annual 100/100 Run Challenge (2022/23) Thread [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
5k progress check in (road):
Nov 20:26
Dec 19:59
Jan 19:54

Turned 41 today , did a 10k in 41:00 on the mill, first 5k split 19:55. Wanted better, but all the new year resolution walkers took the good mills (they speed up faster)
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 16th Annual 100/100 Run Challenge (2022/23) Thread [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:

Turned 41 today , did a 10k in 41:00 on the mill, first 5k split 19:55. Wanted better, but all the new year resolution walkers took the good mills (they speed up faster)

I'd planned on doing another 5k check last weekend (race was Saturday). But, I opted out since I'm still getting back to normal post-covid. I did my first harder effort since I tested negative, last night. Just a "faster" set of 1600/800/400 at 5k-ish effort (a sad pace at that) with 400m rest.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 16th Annual 100/100 Run Challenge (2022/23) Thread [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:

I'd planned on doing another 5k check last weekend (race was Saturday). But, I opted out since I'm still getting back to normal post-covid. I did my first harder effort since I tested negative, last night. Just a "faster" set of 1600/800/400 at 5k-ish effort (a sad pace at that) with 400m rest.

can just note that illness and do one soon?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 16th Annual 100/100 Run Challenge (2022/23) Thread [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
Tom_hampton wrote:

can just note that illness and do one soon?

Yeah. Already started looking for another one. Jan thru early-Feb seems to be a lull in the local running calendar, the Dallas Marathon is right before Christmas...and, it seems like everyone takes a break for 6 weeks after that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I started this 3 weeks ago, so missed the official challenge, Found high 30 low 40 miles came around without thinking about it. End of week three found was very tired and had to do a few 5 km days and 10 Km days at mid 6 min km as I was very tired.

Did not hang bike up (still biking 8 to ten a week and racing bikes).

But it's fun
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 16th Annual 100/100 Run Challenge (2022/23) Thread [stevie g] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There's no such thing as "too late" you can still sign up, and upload your data back to the begining. Even if you just started 3 weeks ago cold, that's still plenty of time to get to 70+.

Come on in, the water's fine!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Indeed it has picked up a fair bit of data from late last year. Now in that annoying place where I can get there if I have one month of double run days.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:

19:45 today. Was on track to sub 19 min till mile 2, where I crashed into a dumb walker kid (it was out and back course, he was a participant) who was looking down and texting... So it's a reminder to you adults don't text and drive!
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 16th Annual 100/100 Run Challenge (2022/23) Thread [wannabefaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Self identified lurker here… I’m one day behind pace- will find a day to double up my runs. The challenge is at least keeping me running a lot more consistently than I have in years- not sure if I’m in better shape, but maybe a better base to start ramping up outdoor runs. Good luck all- keep up the streak!
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 16th Annual 100/100 Run Challenge (2022/23) Thread [Schlomo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I made a post a while ago but somehow my phone timed out and it was lost.

Anyway, I’m here. Building up from some injuries and issues and am trying to hit 65-70 mpw now. I ideally want to be back at 80-90 for a late spring marathon. I ran 2:22 at CIM a few years ago and know there’s some more time to be found. How much is yet to be determined!

Still need to proceed gingerly and limit the speed as my hamstrings are prone to strains as happened a couple weeks ago.

speedySTATES
Quote Reply

Prev Next