Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official Slowtwitch 16th Annual 100/100 Run Challenge (2022/23) Thread [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice work.

It looks like with the new run minimum I am 1 run off 100/100 pace. Took a few days off due to vaccine and have been keeping it light. Just over 7 hrs of running in the first two weeks (3:30 hrs per week would be the old 100/100 weekly minimum, now it is 2:20 per week)
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 16th Annual 100/100 Run Challenge (2022/23) Thread [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have to manually sync mine each time I go in, not sure why it won’t automatically pull from strava and update my workouts.

Bumping up my time to 40 min starting tomorrow.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 16th Annual 100/100 Run Challenge (2022/23) Thread [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes. Manual adjustments for moving miles between runs.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 16th Annual 100/100 Run Challenge (2022/23) Thread [jeremyebrock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's always been the way. Once upon a time I think Eric said that auto-sync was a different license tier. That's the same reason for the max 200 / 6 months pull.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 16th Annual 100/100 Run Challenge (2022/23) Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Today was the first day I've missed since we started. I even managed to fit runs in while taking care of my whole family who has been down with the flu this week. Unfortunately (and inevitably) I now have it myself, so I won't be jogging around the neighborhood in this condition. I think the dogs are more disappointed than anyone.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 16th Annual 100/100 Run Challenge (2022/23) Thread [ntl_tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Loving the doggo pics - and the NOT DOGGO photo! 😳

Had a beautiful day for a tough run down to the market on Saturday - got heck-all for sleep the night before as I was up til 2am writing, and could feel the impact it had on my lingering flu symptoms. Felt like a cinderblock on my chest (and another tied to my arse) but still a lovely day.

Spent all day Sunday picking my mum up from her home in a town an hour away, driving her back to my town to tour some retirement residences (she has decided it's time to move to somewhere maintenance- and stair-free), then made dinner for her, my husband, and myself at our place before driving her home. Got back to town at 11:20pm and had Tank drop me off at one end of a trail so I could get a run in, finishing at 12:01am.

At least the rain - which had been pouring since 9am - had finally stopped.

Quote | Reply
Only 3 runs in week 2, so for now I've dropped off the pace to make 70+ runs. Plenty of time to make it back though, I'm expecting to be back to 5 this week.

Seeing everyone is sharing dog pics, here is a photo of Charlie from a previous run. She's done the run training for 2 Ironmans and who knows how many half marathons. She's getting on a bit, and not so keen on harder efforts any more, but is good at keeping easy runs easy.

Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 16th Annual 100/100 Run Challenge (2022/23) Thread [ntl_tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ntl_tri wrote:
Today was the first day I've missed since we started.

Missed yesterday - daily running streak snapped at 20

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 16th Annual 100/100 Run Challenge (2022/23) Thread [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
ntl_tri wrote:

Consistency is much more important than a streak, IMO. Good to read that you've lost the cough and are on the mend.

mistressk wrote:

Had a beautiful day for a tough run down to the market on Saturday - got heck-all for sleep the night before as I was up til 2am writing, and could feel the impact it had on my lingering flu symptoms. Felt like a cinderblock on my chest (and another tied to my arse) but still a lovely day..

feel better and keep the pics coming, mistressk!

synthetic wrote:
Run with my friday morning group and 2 other participants in this challenge (we are on far right in group photo). We have a ... *special* coffee after in the winter time :)

*special* coffee is for after the run, but my kids both had several shots of alcohol which were offered to them during the recent Manchester Road Race which we all ran recently
guess my kids and you are alike...

Tom_hampton wrote:
It was a rainy turkey trot here in Dallas. Given that I'm 3 weeks into regular running, I'm calling this a baseline.

26:33. M54

a very sound baseline-but I love the smile much more than the time

I'm holding on to regular running with a day off here and there and a double when feeling good *(and time allows)
Love this challenge!

Plz keep posting the great pics ppl!
(I'd like to see one from Dev, Dan and Ryan showing their local world...but I'm selfish like that)
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 16th Annual 100/100 Run Challenge (2022/23) Thread [dtoce] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dtoce wrote:
RandMart wrote:
ntl_tri wrote:

Consistency is much more important than a streak, IMO. Good to read that you've lost the cough and are on the mend.

Thanks!!!

Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 16th Annual 100/100 Run Challenge (2022/23) Thread [dtoce] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dtoce wrote:
RandMart wrote:
ntl_tri wrote:

mistressk wrote:

Had a beautiful day for a tough run down to the market on Saturday - got heck-all for sleep the night before as I was up til 2am writing, and could feel the impact it had on my lingering flu symptoms. Felt like a cinderblock on my chest (and another tied to my arse) but still a lovely day..

feel better and keep the pics coming, mistressk!

synthetic wrote:
Run with my friday morning group and 2 other participants in this challenge (we are on far right in group photo). We have a ... *special* coffee after in the winter time :)

*special* coffee is for after the run, but my kids both had several shots of alcohol which were offered to them during the recent Manchester Road Race which we all ran recently
guess my kids and you are alike...

Tom_hampton wrote:
It was a rainy turkey trot here in Dallas. Given that I'm 3 weeks into regular running, I'm calling this a baseline.

I'm holding on to regular running with a day off here and there and a double when feeling good *(and time allows)
Love this challenge!

Plz keep posting the great pics ppl!
(I'd like to see one from Dev, Dan and Ryan showing their local world...but I'm selfish like that)

Manchester road race in CT? I used to live there,never got to do the race as that was my pre endurance sport life
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 16th Annual 100/100 Run Challenge (2022/23) Thread [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I lived a couple towns over [Wethersfield] until I was 11 and we moved to South Jersey

My grandpop worked at Travelers and my dad worked in The Boat

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dtoce wrote:

Tom_hampton wrote:

Grey hair and all.... :-) I tell you what, I'm the spitting image of my Dad's Dad in that photo...at roughly the same age. Its funny to see, and it catches me off-guard sometimes. I still remember the first time I looked at a photo and my lizzard brain said, "that's a funny picture of <dad> or <grandpa>." only to realize 2s later, "oh...that's me."

Good times, my niece in yellow in back (behind me), my daughter in black next to me, my sister in red rain coat, my nephew with "the hair", and my BIL lower-right corner...taking the group-selfie. The Lady's all walked the 5k, while the Men ran. BIL and I finished before the rain started up, but we had 3 solid rain events while the nephew and ladies were finishing. Standing in a tech-tee in 35F and rain....gets C-c-cc-c-c--c-c-cc-OLD.

With Dad's 80th B-Day on Saturday, I dropped back by 4 over the entire week. I doubled on Sunday (another first in a long while), to regain one. So, I'm sitting at 12 / 15, and 3/4 way down page-2 as of my lunch-run. I might try for another double tonight on the TM. It'll take a week or two to claw back to Par. But, I'm happy to be back to regular consistent running, and able to pull off the odd double every now-and-again.

It was unseasonably tropical here today. Its been raining and (texas) cold since the Turkey-trot. Today, its 77 and sunny and humid. Heat/humidity-acclimation = 0! Tomorrow we plunge back down into the 30s, and more rain. Good old late-fall in Texas.
Last edited by: Tom_hampton: Nov 29, 22 12:04
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 16th Annual 100/100 Run Challenge (2022/23) Thread [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Today finally beat my rival at November Projects once a month hill repeat race. This makes up for my turkey trot disappointment. I suggest you all try a November Project workout (in most large cities). It is basically a body weight / running workout group. This race we do burpees before starting each steep hill repeat (500m down, 500m up). This pic is about the point I over took him.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
17/17

This morning was "harder". My legs felt heavy and both calves were thinking about giving out. :)

My run this morning was in -25C (-13F) weather. The cold for us has just started so this will get interesting.

I still have not done any doubles but would like to do one so I can take a day off. See how it goes.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 16th Annual 100/100 Run Challenge (2022/23) Thread [buddhabelly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
buddhabelly wrote:
Looks like a nice place to do trail runs!

Why is the scenery nicer now? Forest fires go through recently?

Ah...sorry, some context would have helped. No, no forest fires.

We bought a new home. In previous years, all my running was all done on farm-to-market roads in a mostly non-descript, central texas, farm land / country-side. Its "fine" but, not exactly scenic.

This new house is in the East Texas Piney Woods, just off of Lake Cypress Springs. I haven't found any trails, as of yet. But, the roads through the lakeside neighborhood are nice and quiet enough. As noted in other posts, lots of trees, and wildlife. The security cameras capture lots of critters in the middle of the night, and sometimes during the day. We see deer every single day, and foxes a couple times a week.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 16th Annual 100/100 Run Challenge (2022/23) Thread [buddhabelly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
buddhabelly wrote:
17/17

This morning was "harder". My legs felt heavy and both calves were thinking about giving out. :)

My run this morning was in -25C (-13F) weather. The cold for us has just started so this will get interesting.

I still have not done any doubles but would like to do one so I can take a day off. See how it goes.

I find it easier to do doubles once my "regular" run is above the minimum. A couple of things I've done in the past:

1. Slow down to a "crawl" on your regular runs. This will help to minimize the cumulative stress, and improve your ability to recover.
2. Extend a couple of runs a week to longer than the minimum, by 2-3 minutes each week. This may take 2-3 weeks to gain enough "ground". Once you can do a 30m run, you can do a 30m run + a 10m run (with the required 1 hr gap) as a double.
3. Take a day off anyway. Let your body catch up to the stress. Once you've recovered, you'll be better positioned for a double then next go 'round. 17 days in a row is a lot, esp when every run is your "max".

Once you can do a 30m run, that second 10m run isn't too much of a hurdle to get over...since, its only 1/3rd of your max. But, a second 20m run when your max is 20m means you are literally doubling your daily volume when you are already "tired".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
it can get into our heads how great we are by doing this training compared to average joe....
Just witnessed the power of doping. As I am biking by the half way house nearby, see a guy randomly dancing in the street. He sees my bike and starts matching the pace! Timed him at a sub 60 second 400m (under 4 min mile) pace, not winded one bit. After he stopped I tried to ask him if he was some ex runner but he was into another dimension....

heh signs that make you want to say f* it and quit but somehow we are out there the next day...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After a few light days post vaccine 4 and travel over to Europe for biz I am on 100/100 pace and a bit ahead of my target of 3.5 hrs per week (7x30 min quota). Because I had no pool access I had a few days with doubles, including last two days where I ran around the Berlin marathon finish stretch in front of the Brandenburg gate faking like am Kipchoge but running 2x slower (he is going at sub 3 per km me at sub 6 per km).

I don't generally like running with a phone because it is my chance to unplug from work life so here are stock images:

Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 16th Annual 100/100 Run Challenge (2022/23) Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not as sunny in Amsterdam

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As far as the run count goes, I'm liking this 2 mile minimum a lot in terms of how sustainable the challenge is with limited total training time! At 25/20 after a week with a cold with relatively low volume and intensity, managed to squeeze in two doubles in the past few days and should get a few more this week. Won't be anywhere near the volume I had in 2019/2020 but might come close to or beat the 124/100 count I got that year.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 16th Annual 100/100 Run Challenge (2022/23) Thread [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Those were stock photos of the venue as I almost never run with my phone. I have not seen direct sun in a 10 days at this point!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
it can get into our heads how great we are by doing this training compared to average joe....

There are a lot of definitions of greatness. But, at 54 I'm past most definitions except perhaps to help and encourage others. I'm more than cool with the fact that whatever raw performance glory days I may have had are locked in 35 years ago.

That said, after doubling 3x last week to pull back within 1 of par, I took Saturday off. The legs were tired from 9x in 6 days. I was only able to squeeze one run in yesterday between pulling christmas decorations out of storage, and picking up, loading, and unloading a chord of firewood.

I did manage to double again today, so... I'm back within one. Things are starting to feel more like running: HR is more controllable, and it's getting easier to run easy. My stride feels more natural and less "forced".

Keep on trucking.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Dev,
I’m glad you mentioned that those were stock photos. I first saw the pictures and thought: when did we have sun anywhere in Germany the past few weeks? Then I read the text. In reality, I would’ve been jealous had it been that nice in Berlin and so meh here.
If you find your way back the Rhein-Main region, let me know. I’ve got a whole list of nice restaurants to visit—much better than the faux Irish pub last time!
Ciao
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did a double yesterday, due to unseasonably warm - although drizzly - conditions and some much-needed stress relief

Also, I wanted to see how everyone's Xmas lights are looking so I went out again as it started to get dark

Quote Reply

Prev Next