Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official Slowtwitch 16th Annual 100/100 Run Challenge (2022/23) Thread [buddhabelly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't compete with the snowy north. But, I've got better scenery than years past.

Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 16th Annual 100/100 Run Challenge (2022/23) Thread [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Time for my long time lurker first time poster comment. I don't remember how I came across the 100/100 the other day, but it got me to register for the forum and here I am 4/4 (5/5 if you count me accidentally starting a day early). Not sure how consistent I'll be after IM AZ Sunday, or the first born next month, but I'll get some miles in when I can.
Last edited by: LincolnJames: Nov 18, 22 10:00
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 16th Annual 100/100 Run Challenge (2022/23) Thread [LincolnJames] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LincolnJames wrote:
Time for my long time lurker first time poster comment. I don't remember how I came across the 100/100 the other day, but it got me to register for the forum and here I am 4/4 (5/5 if you count me accidentally starting a day early). Not sure how consistent I'll be after IM AZ Sunday, or the first born next month, but I'll get some miles in when I can.

Nice!
1. Welcome!
2. Good luck!
3. Congratulations?!
4. SWMBO comes first, esp. after giving birth.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 16th Annual 100/100 Run Challenge (2022/23) Thread [mistressk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am amazed that you knew where that bridge is! :)

Yeah it has not been "cold" yet so I am not really looking forward to what is coming. It seems as I am getting older I find the winters harder to handle. Hopefully this challenge helps it go by fast!

That's nice you can get in run like that close to home; that is a nice mix of the urban/suburban. The pic I took was from a run I started at work so my runs at home will be a little more "suburban". Just not as picturesque as yours as I live on the prairies. And with the distance I am running now I can't even really get out of my subdivision! :)
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 16th Annual 100/100 Run Challenge (2022/23) Thread [buddhabelly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh please keep the doggo pics coming! I may only have kitties at home but I love me some puppers!

Tom, that's absolutely stunning - looks so peaceful!

buddhabelly, I may have had to do a little googling to confirm I knew what I was looking at 😸 I do get some more urban running in when I go into the office instead of WFH, but even then I'm lucky to work very near some lovely urban parks and trails. The weekends are when I really get to have fun in the woods, though!

Edited to add: WELCOME to all of our first-timers and new posters! Nice to have you along for the ride!

Last edited by: mistressk: Nov 18, 22 9:43
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 16th Annual 100/100 Run Challenge (2022/23) Thread [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like a nice place to do trail runs!

Why is the scenery nicer now? Forest fires go through recently?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 16th Annual 100/100 Run Challenge (2022/23) Thread [dtoce] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is there a way to do this from your phone? imgur says you can only get the bbcode from desktop site.

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 16th Annual 100/100 Run Challenge (2022/23) Thread [mistressk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mistressk wrote:

Tom, that's absolutely stunning - looks so peaceful!

It is that. We managed to buy a small home just off of Lake Cypress Springs in East Texas, over the summer. We have one immediate neighbor. And there are four other houses in the 'hood' that are permanently occupied---everything else sits empty 99% of the time. So, generally it is dead silent. Our most frequent traffic is Whitetail deer.

There is a State park ~1/4 mile from our house (RV and camping), which is where that picture was taken. There is a very large population of Turkey Vultures in the state park. So, we've taken to calling the place Committee Cove (being the term for a collection of vultures).

One more doggo....This dog started following me on one of my runs a couple weeks ago. I didn't even notice until she licked my right hand on a back-swing. She followed me down to the state park where I finally managed to capture her and call the owners.

Last edited by: Tom_hampton: Nov 18, 22 10:11
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 16th Annual 100/100 Run Challenge (2022/23) Thread [konaboysteve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
konaboysteve wrote:
The Jersey Devil!!!

I've heard the Jersey Devil --- he doesn't sound like that 😉

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 16th Annual 100/100 Run Challenge (2022/23) Thread [twcronin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:

OK, here's my question: Can I count stair running?

There's no objection from this member of the peanut gallery.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 16th Annual 100/100 Run Challenge (2022/23) Thread [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Today was 60 min swim followed by 6x (5 min running + 5-6 pullups + 15-20 push up circuit)
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 16th Annual 100/100 Run Challenge (2022/23) Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Completed 4/4 today at lunch. Including the pre-start streak, today makes 8/8.

I started run/walking on 4 Oct...for the first time in 12 months. I've done a few smattering of things in the interim: some HIIT with my daughter while she was taking a class, and a little bit of Zwift-biking on and off. But, nothing "significant" or of a sustained, progressive overload nature...and, no running to speak of.

My first continuous "run" was back on 6 Nov. Last week was my first 6-day training week. And, now I'm at 8 days straight. Legs are a little flat, but hanging in there ok. HR didn't spike up over 170 today, and I was a bit more "in control" of my pace.

Just trying to keep on truckin' without digging a hole.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Love the dogs!
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 16th Annual 100/100 Run Challenge (2022/23) Thread [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Rand! I wish there was an awesome story but not much of a story...I'm an old retired Marine. Amphibops means Amphibious Operations "from the sea" trying to tie Marine Corps operations to triathlon activities.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 16th Annual 100/100 Run Challenge (2022/23) Thread [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Matt Dixon talks about a winter run project that sounds just like the 100/100 challenge, at least how I plan to approach it. Worth listening to at https://castbox.fm/vb/548374440

"Matt applies the method he uses to help athletes break through their running performance and breaks down the nuts and bolts of how you might put a winter running project into action by focusing on a simple, consistent, and soul-filling approach to running and training that will leave you primed for the coming season."
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 16th Annual 100/100 Run Challenge (2022/23) Thread [amphibops] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
amphibops wrote:
Hi Rand! I wish there was an awesome story but not much of a story...I'm an old retired Marine. Amphibops means Amphibious Operations "from the sea" trying to tie Marine Corps operations to triathlon activities.

That's close enough! Yeah, I thought "bops" was a dance or DJ kinda thing

Thanks for sharing & thanks for serving!!!

Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 16th Annual 100/100 Run Challenge (2022/23) Thread [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Saw this interesting bit on walking/jogging/running paces as it seems to have come up before:

"This is further confused by the fact that “jogging” and “running” are technically two different things. Jogging is typically considered speeds between 4 to 6 miles per hour (a 10- to 15-minute mile), while running is considered anything faster than 6 miles per hour (a 10-minute-per-mile pace)"

https://www.runnersworld.com/...erage-walking-speed/

And concluded mirroring some of the wise and sage advice provided in this thread:

"While knowing the general population’s average walking and jogging speeds can help motivate you to move more, it’s smart to focus on your own average pace and consider working to improve upon that pace. The key, though, is gradually getting faster.
“One of the biggest mistakes I see new exercisers making is making all of their workouts too difficult. It’s incredibly important to include recovery and ‘easy’ days, so that in turn, you can make your harder workouts hard enough. The recovery aspect of training is equally as important. Those who make the most progress are those who truly learn the discipline to go easy when they need to,” Hart says."
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 16th Annual 100/100 Run Challenge (2022/23) Thread [jeremyebrock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m detailed. One of my puppies had brain/spinal surgery two weeks ago and last night complications arose. Can’t leave my baby to go for a run.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 16th Annual 100/100 Run Challenge (2022/23) Thread [jeremyebrock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jeremyebrock wrote:
I'm interested to know how many people have at least a rough plan on what they want to achieve with this challenge. I'm here for a few reasons, but I always come to anything like this with some type of sub-goal: my plan is to start with 2 mi, 3 mi, 2 mi for the first week, and assuming that goes ok, increase than to 3 mi per day. Secondary goal would be adding a longer run once per week, after probably week 4. Doable? Absolutely, although maybe not for me and I have to see how it goes. My fitness sucks.

I laid out a self-created plan, loosely based on a combination of Hanson's and 80/20 running. It is 25 weeks structured toward Boston 2023. I have been mumbling about breaking three hours in a marathon for about 30 years. While being achingly close on several occasions, it has never happened. It is time to really commit. I'm 51 now. The window is closing.

The plan has one day off per week and I'm going to try to stick to that, even if it means that I don't get to 100/100. I have really embraced in the last 18 months a lot of easy running and cross training. Both of these things have kept me healthy and running consistently.

This challenge is always a fun way to watch the mileage build.

----------------------------
Jason
None of the secrets of success will work unless you do.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 16th Annual 100/100 Run Challenge (2022/23) Thread [wannabefaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wannabefaster wrote:
jeremyebrock wrote:
I'm interested to know how many people have at least a rough plan on what they want to achieve with this challenge. I'm here for a few reasons, but I always come to anything like this with some type of sub-goal: my plan is to start with 2 mi, 3 mi, 2 mi for the first week, and assuming that goes ok, increase than to 3 mi per day. Secondary goal would be adding a longer run once per week, after probably week 4. Doable? Absolutely, although maybe not for me and I have to see how it goes. My fitness sucks.

I laid out a self-created plan, loosely based on a combination of Hanson's and 80/20 running. It is 25 weeks structured toward Boston 2023. I have been mumbling about breaking three hours in a marathon for about 30 years. While being achingly close on several occasions, it has never happened. It is time to really commit. I'm 51 now. The window is closing.

The plan has one day off per week and I'm going to try to stick to that, even if it means that I don't get to 100/100. I have really embraced in the last 18 months a lot of easy running and cross training. Both of these things have kept me healthy and running consistently.

This challenge is always a fun way to watch the mileage build.

This place is like hotel California. It sucks you in. I came with some good intention to not overdo it and largely aim at logging 3000 minutes of jogging over 100 days and back end load it.

It looks like already this week I have 285 minutes of running (ahead of the weekly 210 pace to get to 300). But I actually feel good as I had backed off jogging (I can't even call what I am doing running) for 2.5 months.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 16th Annual 100/100 Run Challenge (2022/23) Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:

This place is like hotel California. It sucks you in.

I don't know about this whole Hotel California metaphor. But, it certainly sucks you in. I've jumped from 11 mpw (mixed run/walk) to 25 mpw (running/jogging) / 200 minutes (by COB today) / 7 days-in-a-row in the first week of this challenge.

I should be considering where to put a rest day. But, every time I say, "how about here?" on the calendar, I immediately look for a spot to double.

Speaking of which....I should go run. Laugh
Last edited by: Tom_hampton: Nov 20, 22 10:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
me and my wife who are signed in for the 100/100 just finished our local adult XC race series (on the left). Now I need another motivational goal to run (fast)

Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 16th Annual 100/100 Run Challenge (2022/23) Thread [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Week 1 done and dusted, and I ran 5/7 days which has be on pace for my 70 something run target at this early stage.

Was feeling very tired and unathletic this morning, but the 100/100 played quite a big part of getting me out the door for a brick run after my ride. And I'm glad it did too, getting out the door may be hard but once out, it's a great way to start the week.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 16th Annual 100/100 Run Challenge (2022/23) Thread [bullfrog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Everything in that post is me [except I'm 7/7, sorry]

#LetsBeFriends LOL

I've had a wicked cough lately, and I've been violating my own rule:

Cold in the Head: Get out of Bed
Cold in the Chest: Get your Rest

Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 16th Annual 100/100 Run Challenge (2022/23) Thread [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm still coughing pretty badly, too - it's a measure of how awful the flu I had was when a 70% improvement just brings me to the point of still having a miserable cold. Feeling a bit better today, though, and the weather is supposed to be a little less Hoth-like this week; high for the last 2 days has been -4c/25f, which isn't so bad, but winds gusting over 55kph/33mph kept the windchill at -12c/10f.

I went to hide in the trees

Not much snow yet - just enough to make things look a bit dramatic

At least the sun put in an appearance on Sunday when I headed to a neat little tract I haven't visited for awhile

It's all hills and a lot of technical footing - made a little trickier with some ice here and there, and blithely dismissing needing spikes because there was so little snow. Fortunately most of the trails had decent traction, and I was able to stay on my feet, but I definitely worked a little harder on the hills than I had necessarily set out to do while still a bit ill.

The high vantage point near the southwest corner of the tract was whipped by the brutal wind, but the view was worth it!

Bit of slow going in the southern portions that don't see as much use as the dog walker loop near the parking lot - there was clear evidence of chainsaw work to keep the trails open up there, but not deeper in.

The Grand Valley Trail runs through the middle of the tract, so at least there's a line of blazes in the middle of the chaos; sometimes I wonder if these trails were designed by MC Escher.

Made a bit of an error and looped back out to the southwest again (I had thought there was a trail that went up the east side, but it's been awhile since I was there). Despite the cold, did not regret:

I'm 6/7 - not trying a double until this junk is totally cleared out of me!

Prev Next