Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official Slowtwitch 16th Annual 100/100 Run Challenge (2022/23) Thread [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Adding this suggestion to the main thread:

------------------------

I THINK I have a good idea that follows below that will appeal to many and also pull in more participants. Four concurrent challenges with the 100/100 branding

• 100/100 Ultra....minimum run that counts is 10km. This gets you to 1000 km by end of the period. Meant for the hard core, somewhat front of pack, can take days off, can double up
  • 100/100 Classic = rules as of 2021, at 100 runs you got to 3000 minutes
  • 100/100 66.6 = 20 min minimum run, 2000 minutes of running total
  • 100/100 50 = 15 min minimum run, 1500 minutes of running!

I think all parties get everything they want and maximize engagement with the community. It is easy for Eric to set these all up. We can all concurrently sign up for any of these under the 100/100 branding.

This falls into the category of what I tell my staff at work...stop whining, the past is the past, we have to service the future. So I am trying to apply that here and stop my whining and come with solutions that can move us to the future!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 16th Annual 100/100 Run Challenge (2022/23) Thread [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm interested to know how many people have at least a rough plan on what they want to achieve with this challenge. I'm here for a few reasons, but I always come to anything like this with some type of sub-goal: my plan is to start with 2 mi, 3 mi, 2 mi for the first week, and assuming that goes ok, increase than to 3 mi per day. Secondary goal would be adding a longer run once per week, after probably week 4. Doable? Absolutely, although maybe not for me and I have to see how it goes. My fitness sucks.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 16th Annual 100/100 Run Challenge (2022/23) Thread [jeremyebrock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Speaking *super* generally, I'm just here to get consistency in my life and put miles in. Not much additional structure beyond that. Save that for March. :)

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 16th Annual 100/100 Run Challenge (2022/23) Thread [jeremyebrock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll be coming in with the baby beginnings of a Streak at 7 days; I'll keep that going as long as I can, then get back to a 5 runs / 7days routine which had always served me well

I'll be stretching my long runs out using "The Gary the Vale Ultramarathon Training Program" as best as I can

The Plan goes like this: Every week, you add ONE mile to your long run; ideally, by going 1/2 a mile further on an out-n-back route, so you can look 800yds down the road and say to yourself "Self. We're going down to there next week. Just a little further, that's not so bad, right?"

Now, be warned ... to my knowledge, no one has actually started at zero [or 1, as the case may be] and stuck with it for an ENTIRE year, culminating in a 52-mile run [people tend to do silly things like sign up for races along the way, messing up the progression]

I'll be doing a 20-miler - of my own creation - around Halloween-time next year, so I hope to be back in that sort of condition before Summer starts

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Plan? We don't need no stinkin plan. Just run 30 min every day. Oops I mean 20. Or is it 3 miles, maybe 2? Damnit, no I gotta go read those rules again. I dunno.

I'm pretty much back to square one. I've been a sloth for a year. So, I need some kind of framework to get me back into burning calories regularly.... Because, I still consume them at an alarming rate. I've had 55 years of training to eat 3000 clarlories a day. Slowing down the consumption is harder than upping the burn.

I've been doing the c25k plan to get back to running for a continuous period of time. I'm barley back to 25 minutes 5-ish days a week at way to high of a heart rate. 30 min/day isn't that much, unless you haven't been doing it.

Hopefully, I'll come into day one on a 3-4 day streak. Long way to go.

My plan? Run as many days in a row that my legs will do. Take a rest. Go for another streak one day longer. Once I can do 14-21, start taking intentional rest days and add a double-day. My usual run plan is 9 runs / 7 days with 1 full off day. So, working back to that.

My 100/100 plan... Bug rrh, just a little (slightly less than Dev) ... All in good fun. :o}
Last edited by: Tom_hampton: Nov 13, 22 16:29
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 16th Annual 100/100 Run Challenge (2022/23) Thread [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
Plan? We don't need no stinkin plan.

"Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth" - Mike Tyson

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If anyone is looking for spiritual enlightenment, here’s the schedule:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaih%C5%8Dgy%C5%8D

30km for 100 days for 3 years
30km for 200 days for 2 years
60km for 100 days for 1 year
84 km for 100 days then
30km for 100 days in 7th year

Easy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Before you know it you'll be on the 100/100 Ultra program (or should we call it the 100/100 1000 program?)
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 16th Annual 100/100 Run Challenge (2022/23) Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Before you know it you'll be on the 100/100 Ultra program (or should we call it the 100/100 1000 program?)

That's where I was before I got soft and squishy/puffy.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 16th Annual 100/100 Run Challenge (2022/23) Thread [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It doesn't always take a punch in the mouth.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

That's where I was before I got soft and squishy/puffy.

Let's use the first 100 days of 100 as a train to train program, so you can start your own personal superhero bionic heart 100/100 ultra club on April 1. The idea is to get you from checks that your brain is writing that your body cannot cash to your body challenging your brain with, 'is that all you got?....just the 100/100 classic...give me more...."

Just to provide context in 2018-19 I built up to ONE 30 min run. in 2019-20 I did the full 100/100 inclusive of running the Dubai 70.3 in the final quarter of the 100/100 in sub 5. Then Covid19 hit and I did 1000km in the first 80 days of Covid19 because pools were shut and I could run again, and I figure rather than be angry at the world, I would just go back to cranking out a 1000km stretch.

Sadly, I am not in shape for a 1000km block right now. But in a perfect world a 100/100 can get you to the point that you can do 1000km of running in a subsequent quarters.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Next year we'll have the two honest-to-God training plans back up on TrainingPeaks for this thing.

Either that or I'll bug Stover to re-activate his.

Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 16th Annual 100/100 Run Challenge (2022/23) Thread [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is that a plan for the actual challenge or leading up to it?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For it.

Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 16th Annual 100/100 Run Challenge (2022/23) Thread [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rrheisler wrote:
dev wrote:
Just to provide context in 2018-19 I built up to ONE 30 min run

Next year we'll have the two honest-to-God training plans back up on TrainingPeaks for this thing.
Either that or I'll bug Stover to re-activate his.

Call it "Couch to 100/100" or something?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jeremyebrock wrote:
What ship are you going on? RCL’s oasis-class ships have 0.4 mi track with a nice surface, and generally not very crowded.

We are on RCL Wonders of the Sea, supposedly the biggest cruise ship afloat so I expect the track to be pretty long. And I'm anxious to see what a run looks like on Strava when you are running in circles but at the same time moving forward at ?? knots :)
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 16th Annual 100/100 Run Challenge (2022/23) Thread [TJ56] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ah that’s awesome. These ships are astounding. I don’t know what gps tracking looks like when you’re running back and forth at 18 knots ;) also there’s piles of treadmills. Be aware that the water fountains around the track may be shut off due to Covid.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 16th Annual 100/100 Run Challenge (2022/23) Thread [TJ56] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TJ56 wrote:
jeremyebrock wrote:
What ship are you going on? RCL’s oasis-class ships have 0.4 mi track with a nice surface, and generally not very crowded.

We are on RCL Wonders of the Sea, supposedly the biggest cruise ship afloat so I expect the track to be pretty long. And I'm anxious to see what a run looks like on Strava when you are running in circles but at the same time moving forward at ?? knots :)

Well, well, well ... you're not the first to wonder about that

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/...hile-running-on.html

Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 16th Annual 100/100 Run Challenge (2022/23) Thread [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got my very first Garmin running watch as a birthday present when away on a cruise. I was very excited and went up to the running track at the top of the ship to do a few laps to try it out. I came back and told my husband it must not be set up right as it said I'd done 11 miles when I'd only been running for 30 minutes. It took another minute or two for the penny to drop.......
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like the ‘shot gun’ email approach

Hope it casts a bigger net….

T-1day-
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought that running 50+ runs at 20 minutes each over 100 days WAS a plan - for Life?
It certainly is mine to get back into running for fun in '23.
Good Luck to All of us for 50+ great run days
Stretch Goal - Hoping to medal with 70+1 runs

Michael
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 16th Annual 100/100 Run Challenge (2022/23) Thread [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Triathlon does not appeal to me anymore and I have only been running lately. I haven't really been on the forums because of that. I saw the email come in tonight and thought I would check it out. I have a lot of goals this winter that do not really align with the challenge, so I am out this year.

I'll probably be back in the future, it will just depend on when my goals line up again. This challenge has made me a better runner over the years. I was a 3:55:00 marathon runner when I first joined the challenge in 2018. Yesterday I went sub 3 in very windy conditions. I was able to peak a couple training weeks at 95 miles and I know my strength and endurance was built in part from my three years of 100/100.

I think it is a great challenge no matter what the rules are. You get what you put into it and you should do it for yourself. Throw down hard and make gains. Good luck to everyone on their running this winter!

"If it costs you 30 minutes at Maryland so what" -dwreal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just got an email calling me a veteran. But, I identify as a rookie... A soft, slow, squishy rookie.

I am offended.
Last edited by: Tom_hampton: Nov 14, 22 20:45
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 16th Annual 100/100 Run Challenge (2022/23) Thread [bluestacks867] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bluestacks867 wrote:
Triathlon does not appeal to me anymore and I have only been running lately. I haven't really been on the forums because of that. I saw the email come in tonight and thought I would check it out. I have a lot of goals this winter that do not really align with the challenge, so I am out this year.

I respect you choice to bow out of the 100/100 for whatever your goals and plans are, but....

You should be well aware of the fact that this is FAAAR from a JUST a triathlon site. It's not exclusively any one thing. We have runners, and cyclists, and fishes, and some who don't do any of it anymore. We've had major threads on rowing, hiking, ultra, you name it. It's all of them.. Or a lot, anyway. Or none. But, this place... More than any other online place I hang out is a family... In all the f'ed up ways families are. We have crazy Dev(who argues with everyone in long form) , and no-capitals dan (had to fix the autocorrect that capitalized dan) .. Grumpy Ryan, and heart-man Tom (or whatever) .... And the immortal bluestacks who will forever be known for the insane OTT approach to gaming the system and setting a bar none of us even WANT to touch.

You're as much a part of that for you exploits in past years of this as everyone else.

I haven't done a triathlon since 2018. I may never do one again, I duuno. Maybe I will? But, I'm still here.... Well, here again?

We all have our ebbs and flows here in the forums for various reasons. I've been absent, too. Not because I gave up tri...I've been in a bit of a funk, and I just gave up on "stuff" for a while. So now I'm fat, and slow and getting older. But, damnit I'm back.

So yeah... That's what I have to say about that.
Last edited by: Tom_hampton: Nov 14, 22 21:04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just replying to last…

I signed up and will give it a go. First time doing the challenge. Hopefully helps with the motivation in the cold dark winters of Canuckistan!
Quote Reply

Prev Next