Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Fall/ winter hunting season is here what are you doing?
Quote | Reply
It’s fall and the start of the hunting season what are you scheduled to do?

I got doves two weeks ago but no deer season for me this year.
We have plenty birds, meat and fish in the freezer to last into the summer.
Quote Reply
Re: Fall/ winter hunting season is here what are you doing? [Constantine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same as every year, hoping not to get shot while mountain biking.

Ran across a bow hunter last week on a local trail.
Quote Reply
Re: Fall/ winter hunting season is here what are you doing? [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not hunting. When the animals can shoot back I'll consider it a sport.
Quote Reply
Re: Fall/ winter hunting season is here what are you doing? [Constantine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wearing bright orange and hoping to not get winged by a stray bullet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bowhunting whitetails in East Central IL! First time hunting in probably 25 years, so I am incredibly excited. Season opens next weekend.
Quote Reply
Re: Fall/ winter hunting season is here what are you doing? [SWEDE63] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SWEDE63 wrote:

This.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been out several times for early elk archery. Alas, my freezer is still empty.

To those non-hunters here making snarky comments on this thread, properly dressed and butchered wild game is absolutely the best meat one can eat.

Delicious, naturally lean, free-range, grass-fed, hormone-free, antibiotic-free, non-GMO, etc.

And, that wild deer or elk lived a far better life than a feed lot cow, pig, or chicken.

"100% of the people who confuse correlation and causation end up dying."
Quote Reply
Re: Fall/ winter hunting season is here what are you doing? [SWEDE63] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SWEDE63 wrote:

So you're a vegan?
Quote Reply
Re: Fall/ winter hunting season is here what are you doing? [torrey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
torrey wrote:

Bright Orange does shit for shooting in Chicago
Quote Reply
Re: Fall/ winter hunting season is here what are you doing? [SG1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SG1 wrote:
Bowhunting whitetails in East Central IL! First time hunting in probably 25 years, so I am incredibly excited. Season opens next weekend.

That sounds great , I have never done any bow hunting.
Quote Reply
Re: Fall/ winter hunting season is here what are you doing? [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
torrey wrote:

Bright orange perfectly matches the Aspen trees in CO in Oct. It’s perfect camo at the time of year hunters are out.
Quote Reply
Re: Fall/ winter hunting season is here what are you doing? [MOP_Mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MOP_Mike wrote:
I've been out several times for early elk archery. Alas, my freezer is still empty.

To those non-hunters here making snarky comments on this thread, properly dressed and butchered wild game is absolutely the best meat one can eat.

Delicious, naturally lean, free-range, grass-fed, hormone-free, antibiotic-free, non-GMO, etc.

And, that wild deer or elk lived a far better life than a feed lot cow, pig, or chicken.

You are correct sir.

Wildlife has to be managed.
Quote Reply
Re: Fall/ winter hunting season is here what are you doing? [Moonrocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Moonrocket wrote:
windywave wrote:
torrey wrote:

Bright orange perfectly matches the Aspen trees in CO in Oct. It’s perfect camo at the time of year hunters are out.

Quote Reply
Re: Fall/ winter hunting season is here what are you doing? [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
torrey wrote:

And the wonderful catch and release program.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am hoping to go exterminate lots of wolves.

We have way too many "unnecessary species" on this planet.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: Fall/ winter hunting season is here what are you doing? [MOP_Mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
than a feed lot cow, pig, or chicken.

Grass fed/free range only here. Granddaughter of a rancher and butcher shop owner. Meat came from the side of beef in the freezer, not the grocery store. I don't eat game.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fruitarian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MOP_Mike wrote:

Some good points.

Serious question: you're not concerned about consuming meat from an elk with contagious CWD (chronic wasting disease) ?

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.

--
Quote Reply
Re: Fall/ winter hunting season is here what are you doing? [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
MOP_Mike wrote:

Some good points.

Serious question: you're not concerned about consuming meat from an elk with contagious CWD (chronic wasting disease) ?

CWD has not been detected in the areas that I hunt. It has been found in some Idaho hunt units, and I'd have to think twice about harvesting game from those areas. The state of Idaho, for all its other problems, actually does an excellent job at wildlife (game) management.

https://idfg.idaho.gov/

[ETA: now bracing for your inevitable comment about Idaho and wolves...]

Last edited by: MOP_Mike: Sep 23, 22 11:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll be fishing on October 1st if the weather is nice. That's kind of like hunting.

So far the forecast looks unseasonably warm.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MOP_Mike wrote:
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
MOP_Mike wrote:

Some good points.

CWD has not been detected in the areas that I hunt. It has been found in some Idaho hunt units, and I'd have to think twice about harvesting game from those areas. The state of Idaho, for all its other problems, actually does an excellent job at wildlife (game) management.

Umm, not entirely.
https://www.nationalgeographic.com/...-wolves-to-be-killed
https://www.npr.org/...-90-of-states-wolves

--
Quote Reply
Re: Fall/ winter hunting season is here what are you doing? [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My edit beat your post (and foretold it perfectly).

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why are Idahoans so excited about killing so many wolves? It puzzles me a lot. Do they eat them?

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I might go over to the range this weekend and make some clay pigeons into dust. The wife has picked it up remarkably quickly.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gun deer in New Hampshire.

More deer where I live (Massachusetts). But finding a place to hunt can be hard; when you do, it’s tight quarters; and whole state is shotgun only.

I prefer to be able to walk for miles without bumping into people if I want, and/or set up for a long-ish shooting alley with the .308 if that’s what feels right that day. Those elements of the experience make it feel like it did growing up hunting with my dad and brothers, and is more important to me than bringing home a deer at the end of the day.
Quote Reply

Prev Next