Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Ironman Italy this weekend
Quote | Reply
Ironman italy this weekend with the following schedule: saturday full starting at 7, sunday half and olympic starting at 12. the forecast is terrible for saturday (thunderstorms, with heavy rain and strong winds) and good for sunday.
the chance that the Saturday event will take place regularly is extremely low: it is likely that one or more fractions, if not the entire event, will be reduced and / or canceled.
Perhaps it would be right to immediately cancel the Saturday event and run two 70.3 events on Sunday; one in the morning at 7 for the subscribers of the full ironman, and one in the afternoon for the 70.3 starters. opinions?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Italy this weekend [jollyroger88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't have any experience of running events, I'm sure others who have can add their expertise, but it seems to me that making such changes at short notice would pose significant logistical difficulties. Are the volunteers who were due to help on Saturday available to help at a second race on Sunday instead? If not, where are the additional volunteers going to come from at 4 days notice? Will the authorities allow the change in planned road closures? What happens to competitors who were due to race on Saturday and travel home on Sunday, if they can't change their plans?

Add to this that 3-4 days out the weather forecast can still be unreliable, so it's entirely possible that if they made all these changes the worst of the weather may not end up hitting until Sunday.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jollyroger88 wrote:
Ironman italy this weekend with the following schedule: saturday full starting at 7, sunday half and olympic starting at 12. the forecast is terrible for saturday (thunderstorms, with heavy rain and strong winds) and good for sunday.

the chance that the Saturday event will take place regularly is extremely low: it is likely that one or more fractions, if not the entire event, will be reduced and / or canceled.
Perhaps it would be right to immediately cancel the Saturday event and run two 70.3 events on Sunday; one in the morning at 7 for the subscribers of the full ironman, and one in the afternoon for the 70.3 starters. opinions?

From the Official Fb page of IM Italy:

We can't wait to welcome athletes back to Cervia this weekend. 😍
⚠️ Please note, due to predicted strong winds over the race weekend, athletes planning to race with rear disc wheels are advised to bring a non-disc rear wheel option when traveling to the event. See you soon!

So the race will start regularly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
0% chance of them moving the full to Sunday. Most participants likely flying out on Sunday. Organizers will rather have a 10k run- short bike - marathon if need be if conditions are totally dire but they need to have some sort of event which allows them not to give out refunds.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Italy this weekend [ItaloBritt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ItaloBritt wrote:
0% chance of them moving the full to Sunday. Most participants likely flying out on Sunday. Organizers will rather have a 10k run- short bike - marathon if need be if conditions are totally dire but they need to have some sort of event which allows them not to give out refunds.

Agree. Wind are expected to start beeing strong in the late morning so i suppose the race will start regularly except for disc wheels (maybe). It won'be funny riding most of the bike leg trying to make the bike going straight under a storm.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Italy this weekend [Fab4mas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sadly I shipped the bike a week ago and only have a disc. I am usually not worried even in strong winds though, as long as the front wheel profile is shallow. Hope they don’t forbid them outright otherwise I can’t start.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For what it's worth, we had a late thunderstorm during IM Italy last year. For me the rain started at the foot of the second trip up to Bertinoro. By the time I got to the top, the music was still bumping but it was raining so hard that the village had cleared out; kind of eerie with not one spectator to be seen. The ride off that hill was super sketchy too. Rolling down a river on a TT bike with rim brakes and carbon wheels was an unforgettable experience.

The E55 (raised expressway) does shed the water nicely but after turning back on SP254, the road through the salt flats, that section floods. For me, good portions of that stretch back to Cervia was right down the middle as the road was awash from almost the center to well past the shoulder.

I am really hoping the weather holds for you (and everyone) doing Italy this year.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Italy this weekend [_canadian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
_canadian wrote:
For what it's worth, we had a late thunderstorm during IM Italy last year. For me the rain started at the foot of the second trip up to Bertinoro. By the time I got to the top, the music was still bumping but it was raining so hard that the village had cleared out; kind of eerie with not one spectator to be seen. The ride off that hill was super sketchy too. Rolling down a river on a TT bike with rim brakes and carbon wheels was an unforgettable experience.

The E55 (raised expressway) does shed the water nicely but after turning back on SP254, the road through the salt flats, that section floods. For me, good portions of that stretch back to Cervia was right down the middle as the road was awash from almost the center to well past the shoulder.

I am really hoping the weather holds for you (and everyone) doing Italy this year.

The problem is that, if weather forecast are right, all the bike leg will be under showers with strong winds, rain has expected to start many hours before the swim start.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Italy this weekend [Fab4mas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tomorrow's (saturday) race, full distance, has just been canceled altogether
Last edited by: jollyroger88: Sep 16, 22 7:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cancelled or postponed until Sunday?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Italy this weekend [WhittleFit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WhittleFit wrote:

What we know: Ironman will not happen on saturday.

IM say 70.3 and 5150 should happen as scheduled on sunday, and that they are working hard to fit the IM on sunday too.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Italy this weekend [pwai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pwai wrote:
WhittleFit wrote:

What we know: Ironman will not happen on saturday.

IM say 70.3 and 5150 should happen as scheduled on sunday, and that they are working hard to fit the IM on sunday too.

I’m sure they are working hard to avoid giving any refunds.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just read on tri247 that the full is happening on the Sunday now as well as the 70.3.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Italy this weekend [ItaloBritt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ItaloBritt wrote:
0% chance of them moving the full to Sunday.

This aged well…

"FTP is a bit 2015, don't you think?" - Gustav Iden
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Italy this weekend [kajet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’d be delighted to admit that I was wrong and race on Sunday. They haven’t confirmed yet. If people from full distance get out of the water between 830 and 945 (assuming most are between 1 and 2h 15 mins) that means they will return to transition between say 12 and 1545. 70.3 was going to start at 12 so peak of people in transition will be between 1230 and 1. Not sure how you manage people getting into transition from bike and swim at the same time, unless they build a transition which is 2x the size tomorrow during the mother of all storms. Anyways if they manage that they will have earned my entry fee. And special prize to residents who get roads closed with no notice. It may be a draft fest, but I’ll enjoy racing!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pwai wrote:
WhittleFit wrote:

Update: 5150 might not happen after all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Latest news: full distance moved from saturday to sunday and 5150 cancelled. 5150 transition area given to full
Last edited by: jollyroger88: Sep 17, 22 2:51
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A draft fest

https://www.instagram.com/p/CiqIehzDiVK/

Last edited by: anakinpm: Sep 19, 22 1:31
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Italy this weekend [anakinpm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
anakinpm wrote:
A draft fest

The first 3 AG finishers are in 8:1x which is way too fast even considering drafting. Maybe the course was shorter as well?

Слава Україні 🇺🇦✊
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Italy this weekend [oleks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was thinking that as well. There was over 10 AG sub 3 hour marathons and the fastest was 2:42
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Italy this weekend [oleks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bike 108-109 miles & run short of 26 miles per Strava. Know someone who raced it. Looks pancake flat & like they had good weather. Good recipe for fast racing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
anakinpm wrote:
A draft fest

definitely it was: according to Strava, people averaged 23MPH on 150 watts
Last edited by: jollyroger88: Sep 19, 22 7:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A draft fest

https://www.instagram.com/p/CiqIehzDiVK/ //

Yes, but they could have all split up a couple minutes later, probably just lonely and wanted to say hey to their buddies...
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Italy this weekend [dcpinsonn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dcpinsonn wrote:
Bike 108-109 miles & run short of 26 miles per Strava. Know someone who raced it. Looks pancake flat & like they had good weather. Good recipe for fast racing.

That was a good time! :)
Very good!
Last edited by: RiderJake: Sep 30, 22 3:11
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Italy this weekend [RiderJake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone know how the Kona slot Rolldown went today?
Quote Reply

Prev Next