Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Lavender Farm: a thread for all things farm & garden [Steve Hawley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Beautiful dog, Steve. I miss my Weims.

While I admire your commitment to the ancestral methods, there’s nothing quite like the fooooOOOOOOOSSSHHHHH that a red can delivers.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Re: Lavender Farm: a thread for all things farm & garden [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:

The first strawberries of the season. They are a giant PITA to raise, but man there is nothing like them.

damn, you're about a month ahead of me. Just now getting first blossoms on strawberries and barely a hint on the black and rasp berries and red currants. Transplanted the last of the tomatoes this morning. The only thing we've picked so far is lettuce and arugula which I start early in a plexiglass covered raised bed.
Quote Reply
Re: Lavender Farm: a thread for all things farm & garden [schroeder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The herb garden has matured very nicely

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Lavender Farm: a thread for all things farm & garden [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

In case anyone thinks I jut do flowers. Though I do flowers in the vegetable garden. Second planting of corn in the ground today. Getting peppers, lettuce, celery, and radishes already. The tomatoes are taking over the world and squash have set on. I have the healthiest cabbage I have ever seen.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Impressive!

How are you keeping the weeds down between rows? I've been hoeing like a mofo and can't keep up. I won't let my wife near it with the Roundup but it's getting a bit onerous.

Quote Reply
Re: Lavender Farm: a thread for all things farm & garden [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
Impressive!

How are you keeping the weeds down between rows? I've been hoeing like a mofo and can't keep up. I won't let my wife near it with the Roundup but it's getting a bit onerous.

I moved the garden this year to a spot that has a little slope to help with problems I have had with getting flooded out. SO I think I have a lot less active weed seed in it.

And I am wicked fast with a hoe and wield it like a scalpel. A side effect of my misspent youth on the farm.

The only pesticide we use is Sevyn on the eggplant and sometimes cabbage because once the bugs hit them they really eat them up and Roundup on a wand in some spots but not usually in the vegetable garden unless it gets out of hand.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am jealous, up here in MN we are about to pick some radishes and transplanted lettuce has been eaten. Beans are up, potatoes are looking good. I usually pull the first dozen blossoms on the tomatoes and peppers to get some better rooting in first.

We have been busy adding to our flower garden, which is mostly tulips. Any tips on growing cold weather magnolia trees is appreciated, ours doesn't look great after its first winter...

We planted a couple weeks early (usually do the week after memorial day), got lucky the hail that brought Rick_pcfl up here missed the metro.

Container tomatoes are looking really good, we also do our cuces that way. Have some planter boxes to build around our new patio this summer.

When our lupin opens fully I will have something more than green plants to post.

For weeds between rows, I put grass clippings down around everything, our soil is so sandy it is nice to add some organics.

Pactimo brand ambassador, ask me about promo codes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:

The only pesticide we use is Sevyn on the eggplant and sometimes cabbage because once the bugs hit them they really eat them up and Roundup on a wand in some spots but not usually in the vegetable garden unless it gets out of hand.

Try neem oil to keep the cabbage moths/caterpillars away. We used it on our brussels sprouts last year with good success, although unfortunately we got on it too late and the damage had already been done. Plants ended up healthy, but didn't produce. Also used it on a corn plant indoors to control some kind of mites. I mix it with warm water and a skosh of dish soap to help emulsify the oil, then spray it on liberally. If the stank doesn't discourage the bugs, then the natural pesticide will.

http://www.litespeed.com
Quote Reply
Re: Lavender Farm: a thread for all things farm & garden [Sulliesbrew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sulliesbrew wrote:
I am jealous, up here in MN we are about to pick some radishes and transplanted lettuce has been eaten. Beans are up, potatoes are looking good. I usually pull the first dozen blossoms on the tomatoes and peppers to get some better rooting in first.

We have been busy adding to our flower garden, which is mostly tulips. Any tips on growing cold weather magnolia trees is appreciated, ours doesn't look great after its first winter...

We planted a couple weeks early (usually do the week after memorial day), got lucky the hail that brought Rick_pcfl up here missed the metro.

Container tomatoes are looking really good, we also do our cuces that way. Have some planter boxes to build around our new patio this summer.

When our lupin opens fully I will have something more than green plants to post.

For weeds between rows, I put grass clippings down around everything, our soil is so sandy it is nice to add some organics.

Check your soil pH. Magnolias generally prefer acidic soil. If the pH is high amend around the tree(s) with sulfur.

Our soil is alkaline so we use sulfur around all the magnolias, azaleas, blueberries, etc. Too alkaline and they can't take up nitrogen as well and you won't get much growth or they just kind of hang on slowly withering away.

County extension offices will run the test or you can get tests from the great god Amazon that work well too.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Random question- how far apart do sunflowers need to be? I have a ton of volunteers sprouting up in the back corner of my yard and wondering if I need to thin them.
Quote Reply
Re: Lavender Farm: a thread for all things farm & garden [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WHITE FLIES!! HOW DO I GET RID OF WHITE FLIES FROM MY HIBISCUS PLANTS?!?! AAAARRRRGGGHHHH!!!!

The damn things are back in force. I placed two separate packages of lady bugs on the two Hibiscus plants, and it seems to have not done a damn thing. I hosed the plants down, let the lady bugs out at night. Nothing. This week will be 2 weeks. Not sure how long to let it go before I unleash neem oil onto them.

Unsightly. Tips on getting rid of white flies?

Gnothi Seauton.
Quote Reply
Re: Lavender Farm: a thread for all things farm & garden [Ready4Launch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sevin

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Neem oil spray works for us. My grandfather used to swear by DDT and he had one of the finest apple orchards in Fresno County. never did see any bald eagles tho??

ETA: We also use Bt dust (Bacillus Thuringensis). Put it in a old sock and shake it out over your tomato and pepper plants. Good natural killer of worms of all sorts and easy on the planet :-)

/r

Steve
Last edited by: Steve Hawley: Jun 19, 22 7:12
Quote Reply
Re: Lavender Farm: a thread for all things farm & garden [Steve Hawley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Barn Cat #1 Elanore Brought her latest batch of kittens up to the house this week. She does this each time. We guess it's to get them away from predators that come into the barns at night and to habituate them to us?

yesterday she'd caught a mouse and brought it up to her kittens and it was pretty wild watching them as they figured out what they were supposed to do?

/r

Steve
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well today sucked. I dug a grave for our 110lb yellow lab, Dewey, and buried him under the pear tree in the orchard. The ground in that area is mostly virginia red clay so it was mostly pick axe duty digging a hole big enough for a small human. He loved laying in the shade of the pear trees by the garden while we worked so it seemed fitting.

Then I shot one of our two remaining roosters. He’s a juvenile reaching maturity and wreaking havoc in the coop. We’ve had roosters attack the little guy here before so we’re done with rowdy roosters.

Except Raul. He’s a bantam dark brahma, been mostly friendly and keeps to himself. Except for mating, which he does exceptionally well, to the point where the two bantam hens (below) are brooding constantly. We don’t want any more chicks to take care of but Raul can’t keep to himself.

Is it possible to keep a rooster separate from the flock without it going batshit crazy? I don’t want to put him down but we can’t have him fertilizing eggs constantly, and no one wants to adopt roosters around here.

(Sharon, Karen, Raul)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:

In case anyone thinks I jut do flowers. Though I do flowers in the vegetable garden. Second planting of corn in the ground today. Getting peppers, lettuce, celery, and radishes already. The tomatoes are taking over the world and squash have set on. I have the healthiest cabbage I have ever seen.

Suppose I should update this picture.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Been reading through this thread.

Just bought 5 acres with an old farmhouse and a Couple of outbuildings. Prob need to put up a different house.

Great ideas here.

Any thoughts on utv? I have a zero turn mower, almost all is grass. Will need something with a plow, as well as to work around the place, move trailers, etc.
Quote Reply
Re: Lavender Farm: a thread for all things farm & garden [J-No] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Regarding UTVs

Incredibly useful on a farm of any size. We started with a small Polaris Ranger and it served us well. I bought it [used] back in '08 when we first moved to our hobby farm. I paid $5k for it then Ran that thing like a rented mule. Sold it to my neighbor in '18 for $3k

Our current UTV is a Kawasaki Mule SxS. It's the 'expandable' model that can have one row of seats and a bigger bed or two row of seats and a smaller bed. Great for when grand kids come to the farm. Kawasaki Mules are also great UTVs in my opinion. We ran ours hard back when i was a Army guy at Ft Polk.

almost time for some pear harvesting here

/r

Steve
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just made this with all of the zucchini and tomatoes coming out of my garden- so good!

https://www.saltysidedish.com/...ni-tomato-casserole/
Quote Reply
Re: Lavender Farm: a thread for all things farm & garden [Moonrocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cut SIL's hay field. 30 acres. This is the third cutting this year. Last time around we got 90 round bales (5') off this field

Penny likes to go out into the fresh cut hay fields to snuffle out chopped up field mouse parts. At night the coyote are all over fresh cut hay fields doing the same.

/r

Steve
Quote Reply
Re: Lavender Farm: a thread for all things farm & garden [Moonrocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Moonrocket wrote:
Just made this with all of the zucchini and tomatoes coming out of my garden- so good!

https://www.saltysidedish.com/...ni-tomato-casserole/

Ooooohhh man that looks amazing! I can see me scooping that out of the casserole dish with my fingers and eating it cold by the white refrigerator light at o-dark thirty.

My tomato crop sucked this year but the squash and zucchini did well, and we ate as much as we gave away, which was a feat.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Penny had a great morning

On the porch while we drink coffee

Over at neighbors barn playing with her doggie boyfried--Buddy

I was trying to help neighbor fix his broke dick hay bailer till it came time for him to leave for Auburn--PSU game and i went home to watch Army Villanova!

/r

Steve
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The mystery's of a carbureted weed eater?

Amazon says this Chinezium carb will work just fine!

grrrrrr.

/r

Steve
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I went battery powered with the weedeater several years ago. Keeping those tiny 2 cycle engines healthy just pissed me off.

Now I need to go change the fuel line on my auger. Broke it out a month ago as I am getting ready to replace a bunch of fence posts and it started right up. Ran for about 20 seconds and died. I was poking around and the 15 year old line just crumbled.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure what pissed me off more. Army Football or this Fing WeedEater.

gaaa

/r

Steve
Quote Reply

Prev Next