Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
New ATF ruling on Pistol Braces.
Quote | Reply
I'm surprised this has not come up already but the ATF is now making people felons for arm braces they had previously purchased legally. These braces help disable people fire guns more accurately. They are also used by many others for the same reason. These were completely legal when purchased, but now the ATF has changed their rules to say the National Firearm Act now covers these. No Congress was not asked to amend it. the ATF just changed it.

Now you either have to send them $200 for a nfa stamp and register you brace with pictures, or you have to destroy it. I believe this has already went into affect There are 4-7 million of these braces per the ATF estimate, but others believe there are 4 million of them

Personally i don't have any, but I don't like the ATF changing the rules when it previously said they were ok.

Here is a video by Colion Noir, an attorney, who follows 2nd amendment changes.

. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHEsKCXS47E
Quote Reply
Re: New ATF ruling on Pistol Braces. [patf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We have to tighten things up where possible. I have no issue other than them circumventing the proper channels (if that’s what happened). $200 seems steep. Make people pay if they already have one and for new ones.

Personally I have a bigger issue with what NYS just did basically making large areas all a “safe space” and in order to carry or exercise you’re constitutionally protected right then the business must specifically put a state approved sign in front saying they allow concealed carry weapons. Otherwise, no sign means no carry. This is an issue to me.

In good news, NYS makes re-registering your permit every 3 years now instead of 5. And in certain areas you must take a course.

People are pissed, but this is the bare minimum as far as I’m concerned. Actually, this isn’t even the bare minimum but that’s just my opinion as a non-carrying CCW holder.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
patf wrote:
I'm surprised this has not come up already but the ATF is now making people felons for arm braces they had previously purchased legally. These braces help disable people fire guns more accurately. They are also used by many others for the same reason. These were completely legal when purchased, but now the ATF has changed their rules to say the National Firearm Act now covers these. No Congress was not asked to amend it. the ATF just changed it.

Now you either have to send them $200 for a nfa stamp and register you brace with pictures, or you have to destroy it. I believe this has already went into affect There are 4-7 million of these braces per the ATF estimate, but others believe there are 4 million of them

Personally i don't have any, but I don't like the ATF changing the rules when it previously said they were ok.

Here is a video by Colion Noir, an attorney, who follows 2nd amendment changes.

. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHEsKCXS47E

I've read that the $200 NFA stamp is waived so long as you register during the 120 day amnesty period.

Edit: There are a few of ways to looks at this:

1. This is bullshit that a previously legal item will make owners felons overnight. Government overreach! They want to register so they have a database of pistol braces owners. Fuck the ATF!

or

2. 99% of pistol brace users got the brace to not pay the $200 stamp and avoid the hassle etc to form 1 their firearm and register their pistol as a short barreled rifle. The ATF just gave everyone $200 discount to SBR their braced pistol! This is a huge win! Thanks, ATF!

or

3. A little of both.

Suffer Well.
Last edited by: jmh: Sep 7, 22 5:44
Quote Reply
Re: New ATF ruling on Pistol Braces. [Yeeper] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeeper wrote:
We have to tighten things up where possible. I have no issue other than them circumventing the proper channels (if that’s what happened). $200 seems steep. .

JFC....what if they decide to skip processes for taxes or speech or a draft or quartering soldiers in your home
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We are seeing the same happen with so called ghost guns also. Legal per the ATF. Local municipalities, counties, and state governments are crafting laws to make owners felons unless they turn them in.
Quote Reply
Re: New ATF ruling on Pistol Braces. [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
Yeeper wrote:
We have to tighten things up where possible. I have no issue other than them circumventing the proper channels (if that’s what happened). $200 seems steep. .

JFC....what if they decide to skip processes for taxes or speech or a draft or quartering soldiers in your home

??
Quote Reply
Re: New ATF ruling on Pistol Braces. [Yeeper] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeeper wrote:
windywave wrote:
Yeeper wrote:

??

I missed the word "other."

Sorry
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
Yeeper wrote:
windywave wrote:
Yeeper wrote:

??

I missed the word "other."

Sorry

Figured. All good! Too much deep dish to the dome compromising your reading amigo
Quote Reply
Re: New ATF ruling on Pistol Braces. [jmh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jmh wrote:
I've read that the $200 NFA stamp is waived so long as you register during the 120 day amnesty period.

This is my understanding as well.

What's not as clear to me is whether or not this "freebie" (but but muh registration...noted) SBR application (effectively what it is, right?) allows the owner to later swap out a brace for a proper stock. After all, if one of the ATF's goals is to bring braces under the SBR umbrella because it's how some owners (want to) use them, then what prevents those owners from taking full advantage of that designation?

Pictures of "the weapon being registered" (from the screenshot in the video) are part of this amnesty-period application deal, sure, but if there's language attached which locks out any future SBR configuration which the given serialized lower can ever be part of, that could make a significant difference in the owner's decision whether to save (multiples of?) $200 and apply...or destroy.

I don't own any NFA items, SBRs or otherwise, but people I know who do are not proscribed from altering them via non-serialized parts/accessory changes or moving same between setups which are already registered...at least that's what I think is true.

Lots can change before December, in any case.

[edit: you got to a similar place while I was drafting this]
Last edited by: Carl: Sep 7, 22 6:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's a fascinating youtuber.

I like his 'let's go Brandon t-shirt'.

And he mentions "the anti-gun industry". What is that exactly?

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: New ATF ruling on Pistol Braces. [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:

People who don't know what an SBR or pistol brace are.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My life-long dream of being the world renowned expert on third amendment jurisprudence comes to fruition?
Quote Reply
Re: New ATF ruling on Pistol Braces. [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:

People who don't know what an SBR or pistol brace are.
I know what both are, but you are saying that there is an "industry" of people who don't know stuff about gun accessories and acronyms? How does this industry of people that don't know gun terms make money? Do they produce things? Physical things?

It is interesting how much gun folks feel that people who don't know the name of every single gun accessory, or gun part, or gun feature, or gun acronym are not qualified to discuss or challenge gun safety. And yet we allow people to have opinions and conversations on medical safety, car safety, work safety, aviation safety, etc without requiring every person to be first experts on medicine, autos, workplaces, and airplanes and the 50 million acronyms used in each profession.

kwazy.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was being tongue in cheek.

I would assume that the "anti gun industry" is referencing the idea that a group of entities that "profit" off the idea that the "gun industry" is bad.
Last edited by: jkhayc: Sep 7, 22 8:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:

I would assume that the "anti gun industry" is referencing the idea that a group of entities that "profit" off the idea that the "gun industry" is bad.

Sure, understood.

But I am wondering about this "anti gun industry." Compared to making and selling guns, is this 'anti-gun industry' a highly profitable endeavor? How exactly do they form a whole "industry"? Can I invest or buy stock in it?

--
Quote Reply
Re: New ATF ruling on Pistol Braces. [grg503] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grg503 wrote:
My life-long dream of being the world renowned expert on third amendment jurisprudence comes to fruition?

It would have more utility than some of the PhDs out there
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
jkhayc wrote:

Sure, understood.

But I am wondering about this "anti gun industry." Compared to making and selling guns, is this 'anti-gun industry' a highly profitable endeavor? How exactly do they form a whole "industry"? Can I invest or buy stock in it?

Again, I am assuming because I am not the originator of the term, that it is being used as a sort of amorphous descriptor for companies or non profits that espouse an "anti-gun" or "gun control" rhetoric.

A quick research reveals the above. There are salaries being paid out to employees or members of those groups, potentially, as well as lobbying efforts that likely require expenditures of capital.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sure, there are organizations that advocate for gun regulation and control. But I imagine that their total expenditures is a tiny, tiny fraction of one percent of what the manufacture and sales of guns makes, if that.

I just found it funny (and revealing) that the youtuber called these organizations an "industry."

Maybe a case of the pot calling the kettle black ...

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
Sure, there are organizations that advocate for gun regulation and control. But I imagine that their total expenditures is a tiny, tiny fraction of one percent of what the manufacture and sales of guns makes, if that.

I just found it funny (and revealing) that the youtuber called these organizations an "industry."

I want to be the Republican who throws darts at the dictionary and chooses the next bad word to scream really loud is a way not aligned to it’s definition.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:

Wow, that's really racist.
Quote Reply
Re: New ATF ruling on Pistol Braces. [Moonrocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Moonrocket wrote:
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:

I want to be the Republican who throws darts at the dictionary and chooses the next bad word to scream really loud is a way not aligned to it’s definition.

If you expand "industry" beyond money to include political power and influence, it's pretty easy to see the "anti-gun industry". Same thing exists in abortion, immigration, etc. Looking only at the sales $ statistics is overly simplistic/myopic.
Quote Reply
Re: New ATF ruling on Pistol Braces. [grg503] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grg503 wrote:

Somebody made a great t-shirt that was based on those unhinged 2nd amendment t-shirts, but for the 3rd amendment. It was fantastic. Just the whole mess of fonts and everything. Really regret not buying one.

Ok, so I found out that the John Brown Fun Club on Etsy exists. And it is great.

https://www.etsy.com/...pla=1&gao=1&
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The dictionary.com definition is below. None of it would seem to apply to lobbying groups. I'm sure the youtuber is just using it to make the anti-gun lobby look more organized and agenda driven than it actually is. Seems pretty disingenuous.

the aggregate of manufacturing or technically productive enterprises in a particular field, often named after its principal product:the automobile industry; the steel industry.
any general business activity; commercial enterprise:the Italian tourist industry.
trade or manufacture in general:the rise of industry in Africa.
the ownership and management of companies, factories, etc.:friction between labor and industry.
systematic work or labor.
energetic, devoted activity at any work or task; diligence:Her teacher praised her industry.
Quote Reply
Re: New ATF ruling on Pistol Braces. [307trout] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
307trout wrote:
Moonrocket wrote:
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:

If you expand "industry" beyond money to include political power and influence, it's pretty easy to see the "anti-gun industry". Same thing exists in abortion, immigration, etc. Looking only at the sales $ statistics is overly simplistic/myopic.

It's ridiculous to even have to articulate that there are several definitions of the word "industry" but yea well, this is slowtwitch and DSW is gonna be a pedant.

I'd operate under the idea that the Youtuber is referencing "b" but potentially it could be ''d'' as well.
Quote Reply
Re: New ATF ruling on Pistol Braces. [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thom wrote:
The dictionary.com definition is below. None of it would seem to apply to lobbying groups. I'm sure the youtuber is just using it to make the anti-gun lobby look more organized and agenda driven than it actually is. Seems pretty disingenuous.

the aggregate of manufacturing or technically productive enterprises in a particular field, often named after its principal product:the automobile industry; the steel industry.
any general business activity; commercial enterprise:the Italian tourist industry.
trade or manufacture in general:the rise of industry in Africa.
the ownership and management of companies, factories, etc.:friction between labor and industry.
systematic work or labor.
energetic, devoted activity at any work or task; diligence:Her teacher praised her industry.

You wouldn't associate a "lobbying group" with "any general business activity or commercial enterprise?" That seems pretty disingenuous.
Quote Reply

Prev Next