Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ah teachers unions.... now woke [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
This is an interesting situation. The school admits to past discrimination.

"To remedy the continuing effects of past discrimination, Minneapolis Public Schools and the Minneapolis Federation of Teachers (MFT) mutually agreed to contract language that aims to support the recruitment and retention of teachers from underrepresented groups as compared to the labor market and to the community served by the school district," a spokesperson for Minneapolis Public Schools told TND in a statement.

I'm not so sure that is saying the school district admits to discriminatory hiring practices or that they are just referring to past discrimination in society general? They very well may have been but it's been illegal to discriminate based on race in hiring since 1964, so getting close to 60 years ago.
Quote Reply
Re: Ah teachers unions.... now woke [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
j p o wrote:

"To remedy the continuing effects of past discrimination, Minneapolis Public Schools and the Minneapolis Federation of Teachers (MFT) mutually agreed to contract language that aims to support the recruitment and retention of teachers from underrepresented groups as compared to the labor market and to the community served by the school district," a spokesperson for Minneapolis Public Schools told TND in a statement.

I'm not so sure that is saying the school district admits to discriminatory hiring practices or that they are just referring to past discrimination in society general? They very well may have been but it's been illegal to discriminate based on race in hiring since 1964, so getting close to 60 years ago.

Which would be a reason to put a policy like this in place. Make this concession or be sued.

Yes, I am making assumptions. As is everyone because the articles are meant to enrage. This contract was collectively bargained, presumably with white people in the union as well. There had to be a reason for them to ratify it. Unless the union was suddenly made up with minority teachers being in the majority there had to be a reason the white teachers went along with it too.

We aren't getting that explanation because the people putting this out there want Windy to be mad.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
j p o wrote:

Which would be a reason to put a policy like this in place. Make this concession or be sued.

Yes, I am making assumptions. As is everyone because the articles are meant to enrage. This contract was collectively bargained, presumably with white people in the union as well. There had to be a reason for them to ratify it. Unless the union was suddenly made up with minority teachers being in the majority there had to be a reason the white teachers went along with it too.

We aren't getting that explanation because the people putting this out there want Windy to be mad.

I don't know how the hired teachers would know if discrimination took place? At least when I was on the school board, it was us and the Superintendent who did the hiring. They would need access to the applicant records over the years to know, correct?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
j p o wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
j p o wrote:

I don't know how the hired teachers would know if discrimination took place? At least when I was on the school board, it was us and the Superintendent who did the hiring. They would need access to the applicant records over the years to know, correct?

That is pretty much always the case with discriminatory hiring practices. And that is why they are hard to prove. It is really really hard, short of a lawsuit with discovery, to know who was in the applicant pool. I just went out to my old high school. They have one hispanic teacher (ETA - I just noticed she teaches Spanish, which made me laugh but I am not sure why) out of around 25 or 30 staff. I'm not sure they have ever had an African American teacher. But given the location and the demographics of the area I wouldn't be surprised if there has never been an African American applicant. So no minority teachers isn't proof of discrimination by itself. But at some point you need to look at how they are recruiting too. Only posting jobs in Blonde Scandinavians Weekly would be an issue for instance.

But in a large school district looking around the staff room would be a good start.

Last edited by: j p o: Aug 16, 22 9:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
“Yes, I am making assumptions. As is everyone because the articles are meant to enrage. This contract was collectively bargained, presumably with white people in the union as well. There had to be a reason for them to ratify it.”

Two quick points.

One, the article appeared to be produced by a mainstream local network news site, though I’ll admit I didn’t scrutinize very closely. It did not appear to sensationalize, though it was thin on context (reference the article I posted in my first response).

Two, I don’t know the legal implications of a collective bargaining agreement that implements race based policies like this. I can see the district getting sued to high heaven if it were not a collectively agreed upon policy, but I don’t know if that in and of itself obviates the possibility of disgruntled union members taking it to court. My assumption in general is that state or federal law supersedes these agreements if a dispute is brought to the court, but again, not my wheelhouse.

I do understand the rationale behind it and I assume good intentions. I hate that it sorts out by race and not merit, but then I also hate our long established history of the same calculus being used to keep African Americans out of the education workforce.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Re: Ah teachers unions.... now woke [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I hate that it sorts out by race and not merit, but then I also hate our long established history of the same calculus being used to keep African Americans out of the education workforce."

This is pretty much exactly where I am.

As well as bieng right there with you wanting more context and information.

Quote Reply
Post deleted by spudone [ In reply to ]
Re: Ah teachers unions.... now woke [spudone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spudone wrote:
I don't support fixing a wrong by balancing it with a wrong in the other direction.

There has to be a better way.

If I remember the text correctly, they've collectively agreed that in the event of a layoff, working from least to most experienced, they would retain the minority teacher and lay off the next non-minority teacher instead. I don't know how that plays out if the next five in line are minorities as well.

I assume all teachers are considered to be competent with satisfactory performance evaluations, so merit doesn't really play a factor.

If meeting the needs of students is the primary goal, then how is time in the system assumed to be the primary consideration? The collective agreement certainly changes the status quo in that regard. I think we need to temper that reflex somewhat and think about what's best for the students, not what's best for the teachers, or white educators.

I'm not saying that is the correct answer, I'm saying I'm willing to examine the problem through a different lens, one that prioritizes students over employees. And in that paradigm, I understand the decision.

Is it unfair to white educators with equally good performance reviews and history of service? Yes. Should that be the determinant? I don't know. Possibly not.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Re: Ah teachers unions.... now woke [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I will find it incredibly funny if the organization teachers have created to protect them no matter what turns on them.

I hope every teachers union in the country implements this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Employers have some room to use affirmative action to remedy prior discrimination. And, that’s what they’re saying here: the most senior people were hired at a time of racial discrimination. But, this agreement looks way too blunt to survive a lawsuit. There might be nuanced ways to consider whether an employee was once the beneficiary of discrimination, but this agreement does not even try to be nuanced about it.
Quote Reply
Re: Ah teachers unions.... now woke [manofthewoods] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
manofthewoods wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
Yeeper wrote:
Whenever these discussions come up I think about application numbers.

I was on a diversity committee about a decade ago at another university, where we were tasked with figuring out how to get more black professors since we lived in an area with pretty high percentage of black people and very few working as faculty at the University. It never went anywhere, not really much to you can do when you get so few applicants who are black because there just aren't that many black people out there getting advanced degrees.

We have a similar issue in our student applicants. If we accepted every minority applicant we get, we'd still not be reflective of nation-wide race percentages. The ironic thing is we tend to get a number of white students from the west coast who apply, at least according to them, because there are too many strong Asian students taking up many of the slots at west coast Universities.

My 17 year old is starting at a "feeder" CC in CA because she wasn't accepted at UCLA or UC Irvine. Being a HS valedictorian didn't offset blonde hair, blue eyes and a Scandinavian last name. Luckily, it just adds fuel to the fire to kick butt academically.

Might say more about your school district and students, than UCLA or UC Irvine selection process. Was her ACT score 30 or higher? How many extra circulars did she do? and on and on and on

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
https://abcnews4.com/news/nation-world/school-district-agrees-to-layoff-white-teachers-before-minority-teachers-minneapolis-minnesota-people-color-federation-education-mft-strike-underrepresentated

I mean screw merit and seniority .... fire the white people first. Definitely won't result in lawsuits.

How does anyone think this is defensible? (Yes I know some of the mentally disturbed on here will blindly defend it).

so here is the line in the contract

However, in the case that a teacher is “a member of a population underrepresented among licensed teachers in the District,” the district may “excess,” meaning lay off or relocate, “outside of seniority order.”

What I want to know is does the contract describe population description. I mean you could argue that white males between 5'2" and 5'3" with red hair is an underrepresented population.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Re: Ah teachers unions.... now woke [ike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ike wrote:
Employers have some room to use affirmative action to remedy prior discrimination. And, that’s what they’re saying here: the most senior people were hired at a time of racial discrimination. But, this agreement looks way too blunt to survive a lawsuit. There might be nuanced ways to consider whether an employee was once the beneficiary of discrimination, but this agreement does not even try to be nuanced about it.

Wouldn't they have to demonstrate that prior discrimination in court with some sort of data if an employee sued them? Even the oldest employees were almost certainly hired after the Civil Rights Act.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
manofthewoods wrote:
Shrugs shoulders...
Sometimes there is a difference between de jure and de facto.
As far as the UC admissions system goes, I'm not able to lift up the hood and see what things are really like.

Not able to lift the hood, but comfortable enough to blame your daughter’s denials on blonde hair, blue eyes, and a Scandinavian last name? That’s a bold strategy, Cotton.
Quote Reply
Re: Ah teachers unions.... now woke [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I think we need to temper that reflex somewhat and think about what's best for the students, not what's best for the teachers, or white educators.

We should not temper the reflex so much that we violate the Constitutional rights of white educators. It's great to seek the best outcome for the students, but we do so within the left and right boundaries of our guiding legal documents.

You don't fix racial discrimination by applying more racial discrimination.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Ah teachers unions.... now woke [TimeIsUp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TimeIsUp wrote:
manofthewoods wrote:
Shrugs shoulders...
As far as the UC admissions system goes, I'm not able to lift up the hood and see what things are really like.

Not able to lift the hood, but comfortable enough to blame your daughter’s denials on blonde hair, blue eyes, and a Scandinavian last name? That’s a bold strategy, Cotton.
Not blaming, observing and commenting, yes.
I'm certain that their are reason(s) why, but find it odd that she had classmates with weaker CV and did get accepted.
I haven't the wherewithal to examine what really goes on in the admissions department, do you?
All said and done, it will work out great.
Nothing too bold, really. But thanks.

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
Nutella wrote:
manofthewoods wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
Yeeper wrote:

I was on a diversity committee about a decade ago at another university, where we were tasked with figuring out how to get more black professors since we lived in an area with pretty high percentage of black people and very few working as faculty at the University. It never went anywhere, not really much to you can do when you get so few applicants who are black because there just aren't that many black people out there getting advanced degrees.

We have a similar issue in our student applicants. If we accepted every minority applicant we get, we'd still not be reflective of nation-wide race percentages. The ironic thing is we tend to get a number of white students from the west coast who apply, at least according to them, because there are too many strong Asian students taking up many of the slots at west coast Universities.

My 17 year old is starting at a "feeder" CC in CA because she wasn't accepted at UCLA or UC Irvine. Being a HS valedictorian didn't offset blonde hair, blue eyes and a Scandinavian last name. Luckily, it just adds fuel to the fire to kick butt academically.

Huh? I thought that California didn't have race based admissions anymore? Did I miss something?

Quote:
“It makes very clear that we do not engage nor will we engage in race-based quotas and caps,” Board of Regents Chairman John A. Pérez said of the new policy. “This puts this on the record squarely.”

I thought the problem was too many Asian kids were too strong and were getting discriminated against? Wasn't that the basis of the Yale or Harvard, don't remember which one, lawsuit?

Asians are "white" for college admissions purposes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:

I always knew teachers' unions were out to get me
Quote Reply
Re: Ah teachers unions.... now woke [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DavHamm wrote:
manofthewoods wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
Yeeper wrote:

Might say more about your school district and students, than UCLA or UC Irvine selection process. Was her ACT score 30 or higher? How many extra circulars did she do? and on and on and on

UC schools aren't doing standardized tests these days (and a 30? Puh-lease)
Quote Reply
Re: Ah teachers unions.... now woke [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DavHamm wrote:
manofthewoods wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
Yeeper wrote:

Good questions, ACT and SAT are no longer used. Class rank is a big driver, grades, etc. To be fair, Covid has created a significant backlog of students now wanting to enter into various colleges; so, the pool (at least for some schools) is quite large. They have to limit the numbers of freshman more than a "normal" year. She's not the only kid with a strong CV that's frustrated, that's for sure.

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
manofthewoods wrote:
Did any blonde hair, blue eyes, Scandinavian women get accepted?

But good for her to take the CC route with a positive attitude. I had quite a few students who went that route and with an aggressive attitude they seemed to do better than some of the students who simply fell into a 4-year college.

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
manofthewoods wrote:
TimeIsUp wrote:
manofthewoods wrote:
Shrugs shoulders...

Not blaming, observing and commenting, yes.
I'm certain that their are reason(s) why, but find it odd that she had classmates with weaker CV and did get accepted.
I haven't the wherewithal to examine what really goes on in the admissions department, do you?
All said and done, it will work out great.
Nothing too bold, really. But thanks.

It actually doesn’t take that much effort. If you do a little bit bit of research you’ll find that race does not factor into California state school admissions. You will also find that income does.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
ike wrote:

Wouldn't they have to demonstrate that prior discrimination in court with some sort of data if an employee sued them? Even the oldest employees were almost certainly hired after the Civil Rights Act.

Yes. They would not need to prove that a specific white teacher was hired due to racial discrimination back in the day, but they would need to prove that there was fairly pervasive discrimination back then.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
j p o wrote:

I always knew teachers' unions were out to get me

They collude with Binny's to make you drink more.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
manofthewoods wrote:
DavHamm wrote:
manofthewoods wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
Yeeper wrote:

Good questions, ACT and SAT are no longer used. Class rank is a big driver, grades, etc. To be fair, Covid has created a significant backlog of students now wanting to enter into various colleges; so, the pool (at least for some schools) is quite large. They have to limit the numbers of freshman more than a "normal" year. She's not the only kid with a strong CV that's frustrated, that's for sure.

Does she row by any chance? There may be an opening on the team.

Quote Reply

Prev Next