Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: July Fish Thread (guppies welcome) [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yesterday 7.05 mi run (65 min @ 2% incline on treadmill), hamstring and glute exercises, 5 min arm bike, 20 min kayak
today 4775 super tired yards

500 swim
50 kick
5 x (200 "fast", 50 kick) 2:36, 36, 34, 34, 32
500 swim
50 kick
450 swim
50 kick
4 x (100 "fast", 50 kick) 1:16, 15, 15, 15
400 swim
50 kick
3 x (100 "fast", 50 kick) 1:16, 15, 15
350 swim
75 kick

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Advice for this workout??

I have to swim many long pieces (1500s) in a 50m pool that is somewhat crowded, and not organized by lane-speed. It's a free-for-all. There's no way to evenly pace them. I don't really need to time-trial these, just swim continuously, to meet the workout goals. I also do not want to pass in the middle of the lane, I just feel like a brat when I do that. I am thinking of swimming a kind of fartlek, sprinting or swimming 'tempo' when I have many clear meters ahead of me, and slowing down when I inevitably get close to the snorkel-breast-stroker.

Anyone else 'solved' the issue of a long set like this? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: July Fish Thread (guppies welcome) [apmoss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Advice for this workout??

I have to swim many long pieces (1500s) in a 50m pool that is somewhat crowded, and not organized by lane-speed. It's a free-for-all. There's no way to evenly pace them. I don't really need to time-trial these, just swim continuously, to meet the workout goals. I also do not want to pass in the middle of the lane, I just feel like a brat when I do that. I am thinking of swimming a kind of fartlek, sprinting or swimming 'tempo' when I have many clear meters ahead of me, and slowing down when I inevitably get close to the snorkel-breast-stroker.

Anyone else 'solved' the issue of a long set like this? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

your idea seems reasonable. If you just need to get the distance in, I think that's fine. The only other thing I can think of is to find enough friends that the 3-4 of you can have a lane. IDK what you'd have to buy your friends (brunch or the like) to get them to do that workout with you :-)

too busy to split a lane? I think splitting is far superior to circling for two peopel doing different workouts. 2 people doing the same workout I'd rather circle

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Last edited by: Dr. Tigerchik: Jul 5, 22 7:43
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
QUESTION: suppose you needed to carry your own gels (lets say 6 of them) for a long OW because you didn't want to have to rely on the kayak support the race provides for your stuff. How would you do it? The ideas I have so far are double caps and stuffing a couple up there, and others in a plastic bag that I'd stuff into my swimsuit (either belly or tush area, I guess). Other ideas?

Another option would be a mega gel like the one Precision Fuel sell. Their PF 90 is the equivalent of 3 gels and comes with a screw off cap:

https://www.precisionhydration.com/ca/en/products/pf-90-gel/
Quote Reply
Re: July Fish Thread (guppies welcome) [Tri Bread] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks! I just swim solo, and the lanes are extremely oddly (in every sense of the word) populated, so splitting or sharing a workout is not possible. I suppose many 1500s is a challenge enough for me, I should be lucky to break up the monotony!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Thanks! I just swim solo, and the lanes are extremely oddly (in every sense of the word) populated, so splitting or sharing a workout is not possible. I suppose many 1500s is a challenge enough for me, I should be lucky to break up the monotony!

how many are you supposed to do and what are you training for that you're doing 1500m repeats?

I think a lot of 50m pools rarely have themselves strung LCM because if you put a bulkhead in you get more lanes, and hence fewer people per lane.

I would not enjoy having lots of people in my lane. I get annoyed when I have to share w one person.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would do what Monty suggested. Get a suit with jammer legs and stuff them up the bottom on the leg. That's what I do in SwimRun with a reusable cup. If you can't get rid of trash then the soft flask is a good idea. The SwimRun crowd is increasingly turning to flasks, but i like a little variation in my goop during a long event. Otherwise I'd prob tuck stuff in the back of the waistband, but not sure that is an option on a lot of women's suits.

Jul 1 swim:
3k run to the pool
(in a 70F spring fed, 100-ft pool):
~900yd warmup
4x200 strong cruise on 2:45, holding 2:16's (due to the length, this pool is ~1s slower per 100yd than a normal 25yd pool)
67yd easy
4x100 threshold-ish effort on 1:25 started at 1:05-05-04-03
2x67 yd easy
4x [67 yd fast on 1:00, 33 yd easy on 30s rest] 38's for fast 67's
2x33yd easy

2800scy

then another run back to the office, ~2.9mi

Jul 4 quick swim:
back to the hot YMCA pool
700yd warmup/drill
5x100 red paddles + ankle band
2x200+ 2x250 blue paddles + buoy + shoes

2000scy total

For any CA folks, I'm entered in the Santa Cruz Rough Water mile and 2.5mi Master's National championship (Cruz Cruise) at the end of the month, if you're racing or in the area come say hello. I'm entered in the wetsuit division because I'm not crazy and that water is like 57-60F.

Off with my son to cub scout camp tomorrow until Saturday. I asked about swimming in the lake while I'm there and just got a 'why would you want to do that?!' response. I think it's about 1km between the two docks they have, so might even try a swimrun circuit. Of course they have a 25yd lap pool there as well, but are not likely to let me use it without a lifeguard present.

-----
Quote Reply
Re: July Fish Thread (guppies welcome) [Optimal_Adrian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Off with my son to cub scout camp tomorrow until Saturday. I asked about swimming in the lake while I'm there and just got a 'why would you want to do that?!' response. I think it's about 1km between the two docks they have, so might even try a swimrun circuit. Of course they have a 25yd lap pool there as well, but are not likely to let me use it without a lifeguard present.

they may not be super stoked about you OW swimming w/o a lifeguard, either (or at least someone in a boat). I worked at a camp with very specific rules about that (for good reason in terms of legal responsibility). Of course that quote about begging forgiveness and asking permission comes to mind. Maybe our rule was just "no swimming alone."
Obviously, the solution is to get your son a LG cert :-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Finally back in my home pool, and it is still quite reasonable at 82+ degrees. Couple of choppy weeks, but time enough to get back into a groove and get ready for the lifeguard nationals in mid august, and a couple OW races before then.

12x200as 3x(3x200s@3;10/200IM kick@4;30)swims(2;52/49/43)buoys(2;41/39/35)pulls@3;00(2;27/26/23)kicks(3;54/46/43)
12x50as 3x(3x50buoy@;50/1;00/1;10/50fly@1;00) buoys(39/38/37/38/37/36/38/37/35)fly(36/35/34+) 2x100IM kick(1;58/1;52)
3200SCY in 57 minutes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sojourner - props to toughing the OW swim out!
I enjoy the conversation about fueling during races, not something I've previously considered outside 'marathon' distance OW swims.

Su - 2.4mi race down in Cape May NJ. 46:33 for 15th/230 with wetsuit. Mostly lifeguards or HS/College swimmers ahead of me. This was was with the current the whole way. There were not many buoys and it wasn't obvious how far out from shore to be so I may have swam some extra. The uncertainty made me keep my effort level down some, I was originally planning to push in hard from the second to last buoy (of 6, not evenly spaced just based on jettys) but I never saw it. Jelly sting across the face in the last five minutes but other than that it was pretty pleasant! No dead arm feelings so should have pushed harder. GPS had 4516 yd which is basically right on, current probably took off 10-15 minutes assuming I have a sub 1hr 'fair' ow swim in me.

Ran 2 miles back to the car carrying my wetsuit along the beach, 7 mile run in proper running clothes/shoes shortly after then another 6 mile run at night.

Mn - ~3000yd swim in the bay with the wetsuit on. Wife kayaked along side me, GPS was wonky so estimate on distance but was 45 minutes total. 15mi LR prior

First real (ie trained) dip into the triathlon world this coming weekend with an olympic distance.

'22 IMMD, '23 SwimRun MD
Quote Reply
Re: July Fish Thread (guppies welcome) [Optimal_Adrian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the heads up on the Santa Cruz OWS's, I will take a hard look at those. I have a really good friend that lives up there and is a swim coach, so maybe turn it into a trip with two purposes. And I want to take a second here and bring up an old debate about swimming with paddles. Of course we know that the new swim/run series is all about the equipment, so great reasons to add a bit more in if you do those races. But before those, there was always this chatter that why pull when you dont race with buoys and paddles. So I finally found the answer!!!

https://www.clubassistant.com/...049984803.1657144218

I had never heard of this race before, but man, is it right up my alley. You get to do two different 400 swims, one with buoy only, and one with paddles and buoy. It is my so called wet dream of a race!!!! Suck it hand swimmers...(-;

Felt off today, so just got in some distance to try and capture my old form from a couple weeks ago:

6x100as 3 swim@1;40(1;29/28/26)3 IM kick@2;10(1;58/53/48)
5x500as 2 buoy@7;30(7;00/6;54)2 pull@7;00(6;22/6;19)1 IM kick@10;00(9;36)
8x50 buoy@;50(39 to 37)
3500SCY in 57 minutes
Quote Reply
Re: July Fish Thread (guppies welcome) [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Warmup: 4x100m quarter-effort, 4x50m half-effort, 4x25m three-quarter effort, 4x12.5m full-effort.

50m full-effort - 36.0sec

Cooldown: 2x12.5m, 2x25m, 2x50m, 2x100m.

I love this short shit.

I only swim.
I used to run. (31:09 10k)
I never did Triathlon.
Sue me.
Last edited by: Skuj: Jul 6, 22 18:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another rule should be if you get your back wet you're doing it wrong! That looks like its a lot of fun
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yesterday 10.61 mi run in 1:41 then glute and hamstring strength
Today 4625 yds and shoulder exercises. Little under calories

1000 swim, 50 kick
9 x (100 fast, 50 kick) 1:16, 15, 14, 13, 13, 12, 13, 12, 13
800 swim, 50 kick
7 x (100 fast, 50 kick) 1:14, 14, 13, 12, 13, 12, 12
250 swim, 75 kick

Quote Reply
Re: July Fish Thread (guppies welcome) [RunnerSam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Th 4000 yd via

2x500 (7:08, 7:02)
5x200 on 3’ (2:41 :42 :41 :39 :35)
100 ez
500 (7:10)
5x100 on 1:30 (1:19 :20 :22 :21 :22)
3x100ez
3x150 on 2:15 (2:03 :03 :04)
50, 100 ez

Wore my new suit (jammer) which is a big improvement over what I have been using which is essentially a drag suit. Progress!

'22 IMMD, '23 SwimRun MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Today:

WU = 4x100m + 4x50m + 4x25m + 4x12.5m

100m push (1:22.0)

CD = 2x12.5m + 2x25m + 2x50m + 2x100m

Total 1225m. My form feels much better doing these "new" sessions. I don't miss 200m+.

I only swim.
I used to run. (31:09 10k)
I never did Triathlon.
Sue me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wore my new suit (jammer) which is a big improvement over what I have been using which is essentially a drag suit//

New and fast suits are the best, especially when you are about to have a good swim day with them. I find myself doing about a 1/3 or my yardages now with my fast suit on, it lifts the spirits and pace in an otherwise lackluster workout..

12x200as 3x(3x200s@3;10/200IM kick@4;30)swims(2;47/40/37)buoys(2;39/37/35)pulls@3;00(2;26/22/19) kicks(3;49/42/39)
6x100@2;00, odds buoy/evens pull hard--buoys(1;18/17/16) pulls(1;06/06/07) 100swim/50kick
3150SCY in 56 minutes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
About 2000 yds. About 60 minutes. (In this same session, the swimmer next to me, who has a Channel swim under their belt, did 3000 straight, so maybe you should just do that workout!)

20x50s on :50
3x200s negative split, descend each 200
4x50s on :50 fast, descend each 50

Had my slide rule on deck for -- 3x200s negative split, descend each 200.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
3275 yds easy, 1.7 mi run easy. Hip flexors are sore from 11.1 mi in 1:41 yesterday.

500, 450, 400, 350, 300, 250, 200, 150, 50 w 50 kick after each
25 kick cd

Headed to mystic CT for the 1500m shark fest swim tomorrow!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good luck in your race tomorrow, doesn't quite seem long enough for you though..(-;

I finally got to do my distance day today, need to start to fill in some longer days to get used to just swimming long. Think I might do the masters medium OW champs at the end of the month in Santa Cruz. Only problem is that the water there is mid 50's at the moment, and it is 2 1/2 miles with no wetsuit!!!

7x500as 3 buoy@7;30(7;10/6;56/6;48)3pull@7;00(6;20/6;16/6;11)kick frog/flutter@10;00(9;20)
10x50as 5buoy@;50(39's)5frog@1;00(53/54's) 200 easy pull(2;40)
4200SCY in 66 minutes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
apmoss wrote:

Are you training for open water events? If so, what about instead of viewing it as a 'problem', view it as an 'opportunity' where you can practice switching gears, passing people, sighting (so you don't hit anyone!), etc. It might make it a lot more engaging rather than frustrating, while also allowing you to get in more specific racing skills.

http://www.masteringflow.info
http://www.youtube.com/@masteringflow
http://www.andrewsheaffcoaching.com/...freestyle-fast-today
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Good luck in your race tomorrow, doesn't quite seem long enough for you though..(-;

thanks - yeah, gotta take what you can get though; this race is in Mystic, CT where my cousins live so it was half an excuse to race and half an excuse to hang w them!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
well, I represented Fishtwtich ok today I think. 18:09 (1500m advertised - I don't have a waterproof smartwatch so idk what actual distance was but it felt about right), 0.27 knot ebb tide (so helps, to the tune of 0.3 mph says the web). FOV win, 2nd overall overall non wetsuit, 6th if you count wetsuited people.

water tasted awful! V brackish. I got an early lead out with a couple other people but not close enough to draft, spent the race trying to catch them, got caught myself w 150m to go or so, and lost the sprint to the finish. Course marking sucked; they relied on the channel markers that are already there and not nearly as visible as bright yellow buoys. But, I think that's my only complaint, aside from I'd take a longer swim ;-)

https://mysticsharkfestswim.itsyourrace.com/Results.aspx?id=15324

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
great swim! sounds like you were doing some honest work trying to chase down the group and not drafting
Quote Reply

Prev Next