Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Top Age Grouper in St. George did his first tri in 2018 [jrielley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jrielley wrote:
What teachers do you know who get 4 weeks leave?! Sign me up for that! And unless you are a PE teacher who cares about their job I think you should stick with what you know and not make generalizations.

It might come as a shock but outside the US in most civilised countries like NZ its the norm to get 4 weeks..minimum. Plus free public health etc...
Quote Reply
Re: Top Age Grouper in St. George did his first tri in 2018 [lastlap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well shit! I get 12 SICK days and canā€™t take more than 2 in a row without risking being asked for a doctors note! So only chance of vacation is on normal breaks which naturally are the most expensive times. And it isnā€™t a shock to me but I sometimes forget that teachers are respected in the rest of the world. Iā€™m already overpaid and donā€™t work enough to many so canā€™t imagine what most would say if we had that much leave!

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Top Age Grouper in St. George did his first tri in 2018 [lastlap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lastlap wrote:
jrielley wrote:
What teachers do you know who get 4 weeks leave?! Sign me up for that! And unless you are a PE teacher who cares about their job I think you should stick with what you know and not make generalizations.

It might come as a shock but outside the US in most civilised countries like NZ its the norm to get 4 weeks..minimum. Plus free public health etc...

Wait, is it that teachers in NZ get a "civilized" amount of leave, or is it that teaching is "not a full-time job" as you said earlier? Can't really be both, can it?

Either way, Matt clearly makes the most of his free time going all-in on triathlon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lastlap wrote:
jrielley wrote:

I would consider Canada on par with NZ in terms of leaves and vacations, but here teachers get their set holidays and that's it. They don't get additional leaves in addition to the time off set by the school calendar.

Are you saying in NZ, teachers get additional 4 weeks of vacation days during the school year? That is amazing to me.
Quote Reply
Re: Top Age Grouper in St. George did his first tri in 2018 [mag900] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mag900 wrote:
the only difference between him and an actual pro is the fact that he doesn't have a pro card. there is no article and thread about adam feigh (who beat him by 5 minutes) because feigh has a pro card. if feigh raced as an age grouper, there would be an article and thread on him -- instead, nobody knows who he is.

This is a great point. This article is an example of what is wrong with this whole pro/age-grouper borderline stuff.
Quote Reply
Re: Top Age Grouper in St. George did his first tri in 2018 [mag900] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do think more people would find an article on Adam Feigh interesting.
He's working, has a family, and is faster. Basically, what people were hoping this guy would be, but faster.

There are a lot more folks in the pro ranks, beating the pants off every age grouper, who have real, full time jobs, than many realize.
Heck, Sophie Linn will race commonwealth Games for Australia and she works full time for Wahoo.

Anyways, congrats to the dude. He was still 22nd (I think) Overall in the race. Solid work for anyone.
I think an in depth look at someone who finished 12th, 18th, 22nd in the pro field is interesting.
Quote Reply
Re: Top Age Grouper in St. George did his first tri in 2018 [The Guardian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Guardian wrote:
pk wrote:

what i wonder is if all this jealous people make the same arguments at job interviews, they bring up here . or do they share their salaries with people that have lesser paid jobs because they have more family commitments or not as good genes.

I don't think anyone here is suggesting that he doesn't "deserve" his status as a super fast guy. They are questioning whether we should think of him as an age grouper or a pro.

He is an interesting story if he is an age grouper. He is not interesting if he is a pro. Is that an arbitrary distinction? Maybe. But it is one that we make, so it causes discussion.

It does not really make a difference if he is ager or pro.
It's just interesting to see how some people commit to do the sport , and isnt it great there is different ways.
It's not better or worse it's just different.
Or put it this way 90 percent of people would not do his training if they had one the lottery and don't have to work a single day more
Look at all the training camps were people spend more time drinking coffee than on the bike.
The time is there the will to train is not
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lastlap wrote:
Teaching isn't really a full time job. Work 9-3:30 and get about 6 months off a year..

Full stop.
Quote Reply
Re: Top Age Grouper in St. George did his first tri in 2018 [dcpinsonn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is a shameful and embarrassing opinion to have. It demonstrates a complete and overwhelming amount of ignorance.
Quote Reply
Re: Top Age Grouper in St. George did his first tri in 2018 [dcpinsonn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dcpinsonn wrote:
lastlap wrote:
Teaching isn't really a full time job. Work 9-3:30 and get about 6 months off a year..

Full stop.

Why don't you become one then? Enjoy all the off time, and actually become good at your hobby? ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dcpinsonn wrote:
lastlap wrote:

Full stop.

This is correct, but it's exaggerated and phrased in a bad way. Obv teachers are vital, important and appreciated. It's also true that their required hours yearly is less than a full time job.

My mom was a teacher and worked 0730-1600 for ~36 weeks per year. That 1500 hours, 75% less than the 2000 hour threshold for a full time job. Yes, sometimes she did work stuff outside of work time, but so does almost every other full time job.

People in the US don't want to be teachers because for job requiring a 4yr degree it doesn't pay very well, you get little choice of where you will be located, there's very little career mobility, and (most importantly) kids in groups can be a gigantic pain.
Last edited by: mathematics: May 21, 22 6:22
Quote Reply
Re: Top Age Grouper in St. George did his first tri in 2018 [pattaya] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pattaya wrote:
Pretty impressive. I think he may be downplaying the "swimming and running were familiar to me" aspect. Good base from the Surf Life Saving background!

Ya think? What the heck does it mean to be ā€œfamiliarā€ with running and swimming??? That sounds like pretty much every human on planet.
Quote Reply
Re: Top Age Grouper in St. George did his first tri in 2018 [PineCreek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PineCreek wrote:
This is a shameful and embarrassing opinion to have. It demonstrates a complete and overwhelming amount of ignorance.

For real. Some of the descriptions of teaching on this thread are laughable.
Quote Reply
Re: Top Age Grouper in St. George did his first tri in 2018 [ntl_tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ntl_tri wrote:
PineCreek wrote:

Majority of this thread is embarrassing for ST and sounds more like the juvenile, caustic letsrun forums.

Dude isnā€™t a pro and has a job, of whatever capacity. Then heā€™s an amateur and puts in the work.

If heā€™s living the semi-pro / future pro lifestyle, well, so are many top IM WC caliber athletes.

Frankly the people that seem to be jealous of his performance and lifestyle that work 40 hour weeks - Iā€™m a physician and thatā€™s how I feel about your 40 hr/wk job. Itā€™s all relative.

Maybe we should have AG lifestyle categories instead of Clydesdale/Athena /pink.
Quote Reply
Re: Top Age Grouper in St. George did his first tri in 2018 [Yrocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yrocket wrote:
ntl_tri wrote:
PineCreek wrote:

Majority of this thread is embarrassing for ST and sounds more like the juvenile, caustic letsrun forums.

Dude isnā€™t a pro and has a job, of whatever capacity. Then heā€™s an amateur and puts in the work.

If heā€™s living the semi-pro / future pro lifestyle, well, so are many top IM WC caliber athletes.

Frankly the people that seem to be jealous of his performance and lifestyle that work 40 hour weeks - Iā€™m a physician and thatā€™s how I feel about your 40 hr/wk job. Itā€™s all relative.

Maybe we should have AG lifestyle categories instead of Clydesdale/Athena /pink.

I always tell my kids I won 1st place in the "Male (my age) (my name)" category. I'm undefeated.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Pink Poofy [ In reply to ]
Re: Top Age Grouper in St. George did his first tri in 2018 [Pink Poofy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pink Poofy wrote:
the guy won his age group. congratulations
hopefully he can go to kona and do the same
yeah, I would love to train the hours he does
I tried to make it as a pro in the 90's, but realized, I'm not good enough - never have been, never will be
not long ago, i sat watching Kevin moats recover in the lagoon at the Queen K post ironman, and realized...ironman doesn't give a shit about clean or not clean athletes and realized, the ironman adventure is about the individual, not the publicly acknowledged individual.

the question is... why does not the interviewer ask the questions we all want to know:
1. how do you afford this sport?
2. are you in debt due to this sport?
3. do you plan on doing anything to monetize your results?
4. what is your future plan?
5. did you see David Mcnamee's instagram post: heard carlsbad swim pool: "my godson is a semi pro triathlete in that his parents pay him not to have to work"

I remember when Hubert interviewed Noel Mulkely (interesting story) who recently finished 4th after a run implosion at ironman Tulsa, Hubert had no idea what Tik Tok was, but never asked, "do you make a living off of posting til Tok videos? or is that house you live in Tulsa, your parents house? who pays your health insurance premiums, your car insurance, your entry fees, how do you afford your new car, your travel expenses, than new zip disc? Nothing against Mr. Mulkey, but I would like to know how, rather than the surface scratched by Hubert. The interviewer failed to find the truth, but just grazed the surface....Slowtwitch style. unfortunately, every athlete interviewed on slow twitch should be asked if he/she read Cody Beals or Ruth Astle's description of the profit and loss of being a triathlete. As well, every age group champion should be drug tested, and asked, is that ADD necessary, or is it just legal meth amphetamine? Let us be realistic.

Sad reality.... is that those at the front of their age group are generally full time athletes competing as age group athletes.
Slowtwitch abides....

Agree, I have just finished Outlaw 70.3 in the UK after having done it last year, same course, very similar conditions except 2021 had a pro field with the winner coming home in 3:55:14 (Josh Lewis), this year with nothing but age groupers the winner was 3:52:27 šŸ˜‚ even the guy in second beat the pro time
Quote Reply
Re: Top Age Grouper in St. George did his first tri in 2018 [Pink Poofy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am not sure who that Hubert is you are talking about but in general envy and jealousy are not very flattery characteristics. So good on Hubert to not be the financial inquisitor.

The interviews are about the athletic achievements of folks and yes some folks at the pointy end of the field have much more financial support than others. But that is also true for athletes in the middle of the pack and the back of the pack.

As for doping and cheating - it exists throughout the field in any sport. But without proof why go there?
Quote Reply
Re: Top Age Grouper in St. George did his first tri in 2018 [elecious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
elecious wrote:
Agree, I have just finished Outlaw 70.3 in the UK after having done it last year, same course, very similar conditions except 2021 had a pro field with the winner coming home in 3:55:14 (Josh Lewis), this year with nothing but age groupers the winner was 3:52:27 šŸ˜‚ even the guy in second beat the pro time

Just as an aside, both Jack Hutchens (1st place) and Finn Arentz (2nd place) earned their pro license from this race.
Quote Reply
Re: Top Age Grouper in St. George did his first tri in 2018 [WhittleFit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WhittleFit wrote:
elecious wrote:

Just as an aside, both Jack Hutchens (1st place) and Finn Arentz (2nd place) earned their pro license from this race.
Well I guess that means the pitchforks and flaming torches need to be put away for another day of misplaced age group outrage. :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Top Age Grouper in St. George did his first tri in 2018 [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i've got nothing against the guy or his achievements; most people here don't, i think. it's probably more of a headline problem, to me (maybe a buried lede?).

'top age grouper did his first tri in 2018' sounds cool. but as i start reading, i see that he's not really a typical 'age grouper' in the meaningful sense: trains full time, maybe no family (?), has sponsors, moves to the race course a few weeks out, and so on. that's not 'bad,' just less compelling and/or harder to relate to for the average amateur.

second, we see 'did his first tri in 2018,' but then learn that he met his coach while they were duking it out for the win at a swim-run race. so he was at least a regional caliber swim/runner for some time, and has been involved in surf lifesaving at the international level (which you know is super athletic). when he says he was 'familiar' with swimming and running, he's sandbagging pretty hard! so then he was in the enviable position of having the bike as the last ingredient to add (which is great for a novice triathlete).

i think what he's accomplished is pretty cool, and he sounds like a good bloke. fair play to him.

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: Top Age Grouper in St. George did his first tri in 2018 [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How is it misleading? He did his first triathlon in 2018. That's what the title says.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Re: Top Age Grouper in St. George did his first tri in 2018 [timr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
timr wrote:
How is it misleading? He did his first triathlon in 2018. That's what the title says.

I think the title may lead people to think he just got off the couch and has no back ground in the sport but then we find out he is a strong swimmer and runner, this looks like clickbait.

I started Triathlon after meeting my wife, I got in the water with no back ground in the winter and in my first race the next summer finished in the top 15 at a large popular half ironman out of 600 people. I can from running 32 min 10K a few years earlier and a bit of bike racing, not bad for someone who "just started the sport a few months earlier". In fact this is pretty common.
Quote Reply
Re: Top Age Grouper in St. George did his first tri in 2018 [timr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
timr wrote:

I didn't say it was misleading.

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: Top Age Grouper in St. George did his first tri in 2018 [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Herbert wrote:
As for doping and cheating - it exists throughout the field in any sport. But without proof why go there?

He mentioned Moats. https://www.slowtwitch.com/...retirement_6712.html

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply

Prev Next