Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Top Age Grouper in St. George did his first tri in 2018 [Nameofuser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nameofuser wrote:
He works, has capacity to work remotely. Outside the greatest country in the world many employers permit flexible working, have entitlements to at least 4 weeks of paid leave and more. He is not married and does not have children however that does not diminish his achievement. People here need to stop making excuses for themselves and just acknowledge the great achievement that this is.
Exactly!

If he is able to structure his life so that he can consistently lay down some big training hours and still be rested then good on him.I know from my own experience in life that not having a wife and kids frees up not only time and training flexibility but money as well.

Keep up the good work I say.
Quote Reply
Re: Top Age Grouper in St. George did his first tri in 2018 [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Herbert wrote:
Unless you have a pro card you are an age grouper. And if you have a pro card but donā€™t earn a living you simply have a pro card but arenā€™t a pro.

I donā€™t really love this way of defining ā€œproā€. I understand wanting to fit everything into boxes, but there are way too many gray area cases out there.

Adam Feigh
Pianko Law, Speed Hound, Castelli, Sailfish, Base
Feighathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: Top Age Grouper in St. George did his first tri in 2018 [Nameofuser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a very similar amount to train as Matt has plus I have a fancy pain cave. And many weeks I train 20+ hours but that still does not bring me close to such times and results.

I helps me to be more competitive and likely now I could qualify for Kona but that would be my race and not the one on the island. So I refrain
Quote Reply
Re: Top Age Grouper in St. George did his first tri in 2018 [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Herbert wrote:
Unless you have a pro card you are an age grouper. And if you have a pro card but donā€™t earn a living you simply have a pro card but arenā€™t a pro.

This guy beat Justin Metzler by 30+ minutes. He's a pro without a pro card.
Quote Reply
Re: Top Age Grouper in St. George did his first tri in 2018 [pattaya] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Metz walked 16 miles of it. Not a great comparison. Go watch Justin's YouTube he put out in his race.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nameofuser wrote:
He works, has capacity to work remotely. Outside the greatest country in the world many employers permit flexible working, have entitlements to at least 4 weeks of paid leave and more. He is not married and does not have children however that does not diminish his achievement. People here need to stop making excuses for themselves and just acknowledge the great achievement that this is.

This is great context to have. These details are what truly make his story inspirational, IMO. One of the biggest challenges of this sport for most of us is plain old finding the time. Hearing that someone with a real job (remote or otherwise) can organize their life so that in 4 years time they are winning age group at a WC is pretty incredible. The article really made it sound like he somehow had all the time in the world at his disposal. Even so this would still be an incredible feat but not very relatable. Thanks for the info.

------------------
http://dontletitdefeatyou.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nameofuser wrote:

Is this the same guy? How does he work remotely as a PE teacher? Or does he have a different job now?

\\https://www.huntercampbell.co.nz/...riathlete-matt-kerr/
Quote Reply
Re: Top Age Grouper in St. George did his first tri in 2018 [Lock_N_Load] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lock_N_Load wrote:
Nameofuser wrote:

This is great context to have. These details are what truly make his story inspirational, IMO. One of the biggest challenges of this sport for most of us is plain old finding the time. Hearing that someone with a real job (remote or otherwise) can organize their life so that in 4 years time they are winning age group at a WC is pretty incredible. The article really made it sound like he somehow had all the time in the world at his disposal. Even so this would still be an incredible feat but not very relatable. Thanks for the info.

From what I know (my parents have place in Tairua NZ and I train there from time to time) he was a teacher at Whangamata Area School (the bar there has 1of best surf breaks in nz and Iā€™ve had best surf of my life there - beat all spots in Bali Iā€™ve surfed plus cloud break and restaurants when Iā€™ve surfed there) and used train super early (check his strava out - his training over busy lifeguard period December January is really early ) but based in Tairua. He organises local events also. But is able live a bit of a ā€˜proā€™ life and competes pro in local half Ironmans. No idea where funding etc comes from. But yes I think was or has been involved with Dan plews re LCHF.
Quote Reply
Re: Top Age Grouper in St. George did his first tri in 2018 [timr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree, hilarious how the article of ones achievement turns into a jealousy and witch hunt. The bloke has found a way to train, work and race at a high level and people jump to conclusions.

Only on ST will you be persecuted for being successful and having a FT job!
Quote Reply
Re: Top Age Grouper in St. George did his first tri in 2018 [TakeYourTime] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Teaching isn't really a full time job. Work 9-3:30 and get about 6 months off a year..
Quote Reply
Re: Top Age Grouper in St. George did his first tri in 2018 [lastlap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Teaching isn't a full time job? May want to double check that assumption...
Quote Reply
Re: Top Age Grouper in St. George did his first tri in 2018 [TakeYourTime] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This reminds me of people doing mental gymnastics to make up all kinds of things about how Talbot was doing it, and they were COMPLETELY wrong undercrediting his sacrifices, sleeplessness and hard work and dedication that it took
At my tri club I noticed a lot of fire fighters, nurses, police, army, self employed, teachers....which sure can give some flexibility for training blocks but definately wont guarantee to put you anywhere near the podium. I also saw that some of the fastest guys that seemed to have it easy but actually worked full time, had families and just made the lifestyle choices and got up early and slept less to get training in, you never know

Its the age group world champs and people want to add cry like a baby for special categories
"they train more"
"they have better genetics"
"their bike is more expensive"
"they live in a country with less lock down"
"they are more disciplined"
Do these people want pro categories for pros that can or cannot afford to live for months a year at alitude training facilities?

Sport is ALWAYS uneven playing field and the finishing time has always been a sum of all the factors and doesnt care about any excuses.

Matt Kerr has splits and a physique that many top pros would be jealous of - kudos to him!

His bike set up looks really great - makes me wonder if lionel could benefit from one of these helmets to guide air around his shoulders
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TakeYourTime wrote:
.......hilarious how the article of ones achievement turns into a jealousy and witch hunt.

Not you not been on Slowtwitch very long???? LOL!
Quote Reply
Re: Top Age Grouper in St. George did his first tri in 2018 [Lacticturkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Indeed there are a lot of folks who have very flexible jobs and no family commitments. I also know some age groupers who have busy jobs but sacrifice family time to achieve their goals. And others who have very little time and make it work. And sometimes a bit of luck is involved and we all do not have the same genetic gift.

I usually try to interview the top age groupers from bigger races but even there not all things are equal. Some folks are better communicators than others. Plus once it gets past 2000 words it borders on being too much where folks stop reading.

Matt Kerr has talked about turning pro but wants to do certain races first - races he could not do because of COVID-19.

He started in 2018 and then all of 2020 and most of 2021 was a wash. I think after Kona he will race Pro and then might never see his name again as that is a different beast
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Heā€™s a substitute teacher. Parents own a place on the Gold Coast I believe. Dudes a beast though. Swims with the local pros in Australia
Quote Reply
Re: Top Age Grouper in St. George did his first tri in 2018 [Lacticturkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lacticturkey wrote:
This reminds me of people doing mental gymnastics to make up all kinds of things about how Talbot was doing it, and they were COMPLETELY wrong undercrediting his sacrifices, sleeplessness and hard work and dedication that it took
At my tri club I noticed a lot of fire fighters, nurses, police, army, self employed, teachers....which sure can give some flexibility for training blocks but definately wont guarantee to put you anywhere near the podium. I also saw that some of the fastest guys that seemed to have it easy but actually worked full time, had families and just made the lifestyle choices and got up early and slept less to get training in, you never know

Its the age group world champs and people want to add cry like a baby for special categories
"they train more"
Do these people want pro categories for pros that can or cannot afford to live for months a year at alitude training facilities?

Sport is ALWAYS uneven playing field and the finishing time has always been a sum of all the factors and doesnt care about any excuses.

Matt Kerr has splits and a physique that many top pros would be jealous of - kudos to him!

His bike set up looks really great - makes me wonder if lionel could benefit from one of these helmets to guide air around his shoulders

i

what i wonder is if all this jealous people make the same arguments at job interviews, they bring up here . or do they share their salaries with people that have lesser paid jobs because they have more family commitments or not as good genes.
Quote Reply
Re: Top Age Grouper in St. George did his first tri in 2018 [pk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pk wrote:
Lacticturkey wrote:

"they train more"

i

what i wonder is if all this jealous people make the same arguments at job interviews, they bring up here . or do they share their salaries with people that have lesser paid jobs because they have more family commitments or not as good genes.

Pretty silly analogy. To be competitive in our sport and particularly at IM takes an immense amount of time. This guy is training like a pro at 30+ hours per week. So perhaps he is somehow squezing in a 40 hour work week also but I highly doubt it. Nothing to be jealous of though because even if he is working part time he is basically sacrificing everything and everyone else in his life so his results are definitely well earned.
Quote Reply
Re: Top Age Grouper in St. George did his first tri in 2018 [pk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pk wrote:
Lacticturkey wrote:

"they train more"

i

Dude stop clutching your pearls. The posts about jealousy were good natured.

People are allowed to be curious about how someone manages their life to become an elite athlete. And we are allowed to be envious of those who can manage it.

If you are spending your time judging how people conduct their lives based off a few sentences on a triathlon forum you might be the one with a problem.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nameofuser wrote:

"Entitlements of 4 weeks"? Geez seems like a totally elitist way of putting it. Perhaps a four week vacation would be a better way of stating he isn't working for extended periods.

In the greatest country in the world as you say, a 4 week vacation would be quiting or being fired. It's not the real world for the vast majority of people, let alone the expenses of the sport and travel. This guy is a silver spoon kid living off his family. Substitute teachers aren't making enough to fund that lifestyle anywhere that I'm aware of?

As well,it doesn't diminish his accomplishments and ability as he is an absolute athletic specimen. It's truly impressive, but as others have said he is living a pro lifestyle without a pro card.
Quote Reply
Re: Top Age Grouper in St. George did his first tri in 2018 [Sub 17 Project] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i find it amusing reading all of these attacks on people flagging the fact that kerr doesn't really appear to work and the article completely that aspect of his life. nobody questions his exceptional performance but people are questioning the fact that he doesn't appear to work (a "remote" substitute teacher 12 hours behind isn't teaching anyone) and trains full-time so the only difference between him and an actual pro is the fact that he doesn't have a pro card. there is no article and thread about adam feigh (who beat him by 5 minutes) because feigh has a pro card. if feigh raced as an age grouper, there would be an article and thread on him -- instead, nobody knows who he is. he obviously is a great athlete but, if the only reason people are talking about him is that he is an age grouper (but an age grouper with no job who trains full-time who completely avoids the gorilla in the room about not working), his story is a lot less compelling. i would be much more interested in him if he said that he is independently wealthy, or his girlfriend is funding him (there are plenty of women whose husbands/bfs fund them so they don't have to work), or simply that he is taking the year off to train full-time. instead, we get this incomplete story of him that sorta pretends that he is an average joe with a job who put up this super fact time.
Quote Reply
Re: Top Age Grouper in St. George did his first tri in 2018 [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

ajthomas wrote:
pk wrote:
Lacticturkey wrote:

"they train more"

i

Dude stop clutching your pearls. The posts about jealousy were good natured.

People are allowed to be curious about how someone manages their life to become an elite athlete. And we are allowed to be envious of those who can manage it.

If you are spending your time judging how people conduct their lives based off a few sentences on a triathlon forum you might be the one with a problem.

sorry for touching a nerve .

but in fairness its a bit tiresome that pretty much all those threads about decent age group performances go the same way. one person starts that they have a unfair advantage, as often they prioritise more time for tri , and they should go pro and then if they go pro they are being told that they are not good enough to go pro and they should stop to embarrass themselves being beaten by age groupers.
at the end of the day its about priorities and everybody has find its own way .
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pk wrote:

I don't think anyone here is suggesting that he doesn't "deserve" his status as a super fast guy. They are questioning whether we should think of him as an age grouper or a pro.

He is an interesting story if he is an age grouper. He is not interesting if he is a pro. Is that an arbitrary distinction? Maybe. But it is one that we make, so it causes discussion.
Quote Reply
Re: Top Age Grouper in St. George did his first tri in 2018 [lastlap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lastlap wrote:
Teaching isn't really a full time job. Work 9-3:30 and get about 6 months off a year..

I wanna come teach where you live! Sounds great!
Quote Reply
Re: Top Age Grouper in St. George did his first tri in 2018 [ntl_tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ntl_tri wrote:
lastlap wrote:

I wanna come teach where you live! Sounds great!

They generally work 40 weeks a year and get 4 weeks annual leave. So essentially they get 4 months off a year. Sure there are variations but for PE teachers who don't exactly have a complicated curriculum to prepare they would pretty much be in line with this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What teachers do you know who get 4 weeks leave?! Sign me up for that! And unless you are a PE teacher who cares about their job I think you should stick with what you know and not make generalizations.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply

Prev Next