Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Peter Jackson's "The Beatles: Get Back" [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For me watching the creation of "Let It Be" and "The Long and Winding Road" is almost magical. There aren't even words yet. We get to watch them work through it and make changes to become the songs we know. It certainly drags, but those moments make it worth it. I'm not really even that big of a music person, but I love the creative process whether it's music or writing or whatever and it's incredible to see those amazing songs take shape.

Also, my wife and I were trying to figure out if Yoko would be as insanely irritating sitting there next to John if we didn't already think of her that way and we decided that she would be.
Quote Reply
Re: Peter Jackson's "The Beatles: Get Back" [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've only watched the first episode- wasted my viewing time on football- but the guy who played the anvil is the least appreciated member of the Beatles. I wish I could find a picture that captured his sense of accomplishment when he nailed his part.

Also, what was up with the dude that George brought to Twickenham who just sat there and stared. Was he bored, tired, stoned or in a religious mediation?

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Re: Peter Jackson's "The Beatles: Get Back" [y_nigel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
y_nigel wrote:
I also love how everything in the 60's was so lazily planned/winged

They are looking at sketches of the set for the "TV Special" like 2 weeks before its supposed to happen! Then a few days before the deadline they're like "I don't think we're ready" - I was like no shit. The fact that some of the managers were pumping up them going to some amphitheater in the northern Africa and bringing over a boat load of brits for the audience is hilarious. It seemed VERY amateur hour for the biggest band in like the history of the world.

And yet, The Brady Kids got a song [TWO songs, actually], matching outfits and choreography together in just a couple of days

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fun fact… they started recording Abbey Road three weeks after the Get Back/Let It Be sessions featured in the film.

That’s crazy.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, somehow Abbey Road got mixed & released first, leapfrogging ahead of Let It Be

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I looked it up when watching the film because George and Ringo were working out Something and Octopus’ Garden. Thought to myself… “Abbey Road was already made so why are they working out songs they already recorded?” Didn’t know Abbey Road was really their last album from a recording standpoint.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
y_nigel wrote:
I also love how everything in the 60's was so lazily planned/winged

They are looking at sketches of the set for the "TV Special" like 2 weeks before its supposed to happen! Then a few days before the deadline they're like "I dont think we're ready" - I was like no shit. The fact that some of the managers were pumping up them going to some amphitheater in the northern africa and bringing over a boat load of brits for the audience is hilarious. It seemed VERY amateur hour for the biggest band in like the history of the world.

A bunch of my friends are professional stage hands. It's a very large business, with plenty of industry standards and knowledgeable people that make it so that Taylor Swift or the Foo Fighters can arrive at an arena, sight unseen, and have a smooth performance ready to go by 8pm.

Surely large concerts had been occurring before Let it Be, but I do have to wonder how different things were at the time.

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Re: Peter Jackson's "The Beatles: Get Back" [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is. A lot of us in high school worked for a local business Clair Brothers that did a lot of the big stadium and arena shows in the Philadelphia/Harrisburg PA region. As kids we basically just moved crates around and wrapped hundreds of miles of audio cable. That was years ago, but the company is still around (name has since changed to Clair Inc. or something) and has in fact worked with Taylor Swift on her tours.
Quote Reply
Re: Peter Jackson's "The Beatles: Get Back" [Big John] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I never got past the "everyone and our gear in the van to Poughkeepsie/Columbus/V-Beach/New Haven" stage

Quote Reply
Re: Peter Jackson's "The Beatles: Get Back" [rich_m] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rich_m wrote:
would consider myself a fan of the music and late 60s culture in general. My memories of events from the late 60s are just out of reach.

Only watched about 40 minutes yesterday, and will watch some more later. i was (unfairly) a bit disappointed. For the real fans i am sure this will be great; seeing the interactions and how the songs are constructed. However, i found watching the fly-on-the-wall footage with no narrative hard going and slow. i think it would have been more accessible to a wider audience if he had broken up the footage with interviews with those still alive, TV clips, and other tools to tell the story - like a documentary film maker would do; but that would take something away from the real fans who can see the story unfolding without needing anything else. Peter Jackson has multiple oscars and i don't, so i expect he has got this right and i am in the minority.

I’m about an hour in and found it slow and boring too. I’ll try again sometime, and hopefully it gets better.
Quote Reply
Re: Peter Jackson's "The Beatles: Get Back" [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am fucking obsessed with getting onto this - but I am a dinosaur, and I don't stream.

Maybe there will be an extended cut blu-ray?

I only swim.
I used to run. (31:09 10k)
I never did Triathlon.
Sue me.
Quote Reply
Re: Peter Jackson's "The Beatles: Get Back" [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've not finished it, but my friend (huge Beatles fan) said that E1 is by far the slowest.

I'm into E2 now and while I won't say that it gets super exciting, it does get a little better.

I'm much more of a Ken Burns kinda guy, but I feel like I have an obligation to finish this, boring or not, because where else are you going to see the best song writers in rock history actually in the process of writing their songs. I was particularly amazed at how Get Back just flew out of Paul off the top of his head. He is a melody machine!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BarryP wrote:
I was particularly amazed at how Get Back just flew out of Paul off the top of his head. He is a melody machine!

This became abundantly clear in the McCartney 3,2,1 on Hulu with Rick Rubin

Quote Reply
Re: Peter Jackson's "The Beatles: Get Back" [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
https://www.rollingstone.com/...est-moments-1263945/

I agree with Rob Sheffield’s points. Especially the points about Let It Be (the movie) and its director (Michael Lindsay-Hogg). Lindsay-Hogg had a remarkable career but this was not a highlight. But his work and incompetence on this project gives us what Peter Jackson has done. So it’s a win 52 years later.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was also VERY impressed how everyone is able to multi task with a cigarette/cigar in their hands at all times
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's a skill, trust me

When I worked at the t-shirt and surfboard shops, there was always someone who had a smoke in their hands or lips at any given time [worked like a filter I s'pose, burning up the toxins on the way in?]

At Campbell's, the guy who taught me to draw the Campbell Kids would have a pencil, pen, or brush in his right hand and a smoke in his left; he worked them in such a way he was almost like a drummer

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
https://youtu.be/qzihz9k2B1E

That was a pretty cool react video…but…

Beato seems waaaay too amazed that the Beatles are just able to break into old cover songs. I mean…even crappy garage bands do this at the beginning of every band practice. Of course the Beatles could do this.

I also dispute his dismissal of the original Let It Be album for the the Naked version…if for NOTHING ELSE but what they did to Harrison’s guitar solo on the title track when they reissued/remixed/rewhatevered that song for the Naked album.

Other than that…I mostly agree!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Big John wrote:
RandMart wrote:

Beato seems waaaay too amazed that the Beatles are just able to break into old cover songs. I mean…even crappy garage bands do this at the beginning of every band practice. Of course the Beatles could do this.
!

The Beatles play over 100 songs during the 6hrs of coverage in this documentary, and reportedly played roughly 300 more during the total sessions that weren’t shown in this film.

I suspect lots of really good bands can’t do that, much less “crappy garage bands.”

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Peter Jackson's "The Beatles: Get Back" [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 â€œI fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times.” - Bruce Lee

I'm guessing The Beatles did something of both - playing ~400 songs x ~400 times each over their career

* OK, 400 times each is probably real high, but ... you get the idea; they were frighteningly proficient

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
Big John wrote:
RandMart wrote:

!

The Beatles play over 100 songs during the 6hrs of coverage in this documentary, and reportedly played roughly 300 more during the total sessions that weren’t shown in this film.

I suspect lots of really good bands can’t do that, much less “crappy garage bands.”

Crappy garage band here (raises hand). Okay, average bar band.

Nevertheless, we could play about 40 songs at any given time.....and we were a cover band. It was our job to know cover songs as we were not spending our time writing songs. Oh, and if we hadn't touched something in a while, we'd have to go through the learning process again.

400 songs? Yeah......I don't know anyone with even close to that repertoire.

FWIW, I believe the E Street Band had a similar reputation.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
Big John wrote:
RandMart wrote:

!

In fairness, they played Get Back and Don't Let Me Down 100x each during the film. :-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BarryP wrote:
slowguy wrote:
Big John wrote:
RandMart wrote:

!

Nevertheless, we could play about 40 songs at any given time.....and we were a cover band. It was our job to know cover songs as we were not spending our time writing songs. Oh, and if we hadn't touched something in a while, we'd have to go through the learning process again.

Ok. I suppose our experiences playing in bands vary, but...and this is just a cut and paste from the list of songs they played...ya'll couldn't just jump right into playing these at a band practice?

'Blowin’ In The Wind’ (Bob Dylan)
‘Blue Suede Shoes’ (Carl Perkins)
‘Blue Yodel No. 1 (T For Texas)’ (Jimmie Rodgers)
‘Bo Diddley’ (Bo Diddley)
'Bring It On Home To Me’ (Sam Cooke)
‘Brown Eyed Handsome Man’ (Chuck Berry)

Or...you know...pick other songs from your musical upbringing or whatever, but...I would think most any band could do this. I think you all could do this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know any of those songs.

And for a band to be able to play them, all four members of the band have to have the whole song memorized (or at least have the chops to figure out parts on the flay).

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BarryP wrote:
slowguy wrote:
Big John wrote:
RandMart wrote:

!

I think a good wedding band could probably do 400 songs easily. I’ve seen some cover bands that seem to know every significant pop song in the past decades
Quote Reply

Prev Next