Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Peter Jackson's "The Beatles: Get Back" [Guff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Guff wrote:
The GMAN wrote:
Endo wrote:

I was already getting annoyed at seeing Yoko in every fucking shot.

Glad I'm not the only one.

Its like seeing JarJar Binks show up in Star Wars.

LOL, that was classic.
Quote Reply
Re: Peter Jackson's "The Beatles: Get Back" [M~] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I liked episode 1. Iā€™m not a huge Beatles fan but watching the music being created on the spot is interesting to me. Watching paul write ā€œget backā€ in less than 3 minutes is mind blowing to me.

Yoko being everywhere was annoying but then Paulā€™s girlfriend started hanging out every day as well.

If youā€™re not a huge music fan you might not enjoy it much because of all the downtime, but I enjoy the creative process even if a lot of it is slow.
Quote Reply
Re: Peter Jackson's "The Beatles: Get Back" [M~] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
M~ wrote:
Guff wrote:
The GMAN wrote:
Endo wrote:

LOL, that was classic.

Iā€™m about to start watching the movie now.

Iā€™ve been confused forever by the animosity toward Yoko Ono. My parents played the records and I grew up with their music, but I donā€™t know enough to understand why people hated & continue to hate her.
Quote Reply
Re: Peter Jackson's "The Beatles: Get Back" [CallMeMaybe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CallMeMaybe wrote:

Iā€™ve been confused forever by the animosity toward Yoko Ono. My parents played the records and I grew up with their music, but I donā€™t know enough to understand why people hated & continue to hate her.

So many reasons.
But for starters watch this YouTube video .
John was doing some gig with the legendary Chuck Berry. And Yoko, who fancied herself a 'talented' musician got John to include her in the session. All she was supposed to do it play the tambourine and let the legends play....

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So many folks find her to be an interloper.

Whatever. I just think it is weird. Sheā€™s just always there. Like if my wife followed me to work everyday. It would be unnerving.

But this is yet another reason why this footage is cool. John is just on a different plane. Sitting back, staring blankly half the time. I think whether she was there, or not, the band was going to live the same lifecycle.

And if she indeed influenced or changed him or his priorities, thatā€™s on him. Not her.
Quote Reply
Re: Peter Jackson's "The Beatles: Get Back" [Guff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ha ha ha! I love how they repeat the zoom-in shot of Chuck Berry raising his eyebrow and looking chagrined. They did it at least 4 times. And zooming in on her mouth. Meanwhile everyone else is jamming like they donā€™t give a rip. Ha ha Iā€™m sorry. Thatā€™s just funny! Whoever made that video clearly has a beef with her. Ha ha ha!

Considering the crazy musical crap of that era, Iā€™m not sure her howling is all that unusual. Too funny!

ETA: just a few minutes into the movie, and the KKK is saying theyā€™ll stop the Beatles performance in the US. Itā€™s interesting to see the hostility toward non-Christians or ambiguous Christians, men with long hair, and bi-racial romances. There was a lot of open and obvious hate then.
Last edited by: CallMeMaybe: Nov 26, 21 11:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CallMeMaybe wrote:
Ha ha ha! I love how they repeat the zoom-in shot of Chuck Berry raising his eyebrow and looking chagrined. They did it at least 4 times. And zooming in on her mouth. Meanwhile everyone else is jamming like they donā€™t give a rip. Ha ha Iā€™m sorry. Thatā€™s just funny! Whoever made that video clearly has a beef with her. Ha ha ha!

Considering the crazy musical crap of that era, Iā€™m not sure her howling is all that unusual. Too funny!

ETA: just a few minutes into the movie, and the KKK is saying theyā€™ll stop the Beatles performance in the US. Itā€™s interesting to see the hostility toward non-Christians or ambiguous Christians, men with long hair, and bi-racial romances. There was a lot of open and obvious hate then.

Regarding the religious hate, I think that was because John said the Beatles were bigger than Jesus which triggered all the record burning and protests against them
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CallMeMaybe wrote:
M~ wrote:
Guff wrote:
The GMAN wrote:
Endo wrote:

LOL, that was classic.

I don't have any feelings one way or the other about her. I just thought it was odd she was never more then a foot away from him like they were shackled together.

Sure Linda showed up but she stayed mostly in the background except the pictures she was taking. That seemed reasonable to me. It was a photo/video shoot and she was a photographer

If I were John I would have said get off me, I'm trying to work here.
Quote Reply
Re: Peter Jackson's "The Beatles: Get Back" [WannaB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WannaB wrote:
But watching the tension between Paul and George is fascinating.

Poor George; he felt so inferior to his new friend Eric Clapton, and his long-time school buddies are kinda squeezing him out

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Peter Jackson's "The Beatles: Get Back" [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm only an hour into the doc but Glyn Johns, the engineer and producer has already made several appearances. He makes some suggestions, which the band seems to receive pretty well, and in general is one of the more appreciated/less deferential outsiders to the proceeding. He submitted an unsolicited mix of the recordings to the band and it's a shame it's not the one that got official release.

For those unfamiliar with Glyn's role in some of the most iconic albums and live recordings ever, his bio is an excellent read. This fellow covered an awful lot of ground and the classic rockers of the LR will be familiar with his work even if they don't recognize the name..
Quote Reply
Re: Peter Jackson's "The Beatles: Get Back" [alltom1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alltom1 wrote:
For those unfamiliar with Glyn's role in some of the most iconic albums and live recordings ever, his bio is an excellent read. This fellow covered an awful lot of ground and the classic rockers of the LR will be familiar with his work even if they don't recognize the name..

Who's Next - enough said

Quote Reply
Re: Peter Jackson's "The Beatles: Get Back" [lkkowski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And if I were Paul if tell her to get the fuck off my amp.
Quote Reply
Re: Peter Jackson's "The Beatles: Get Back" [West Side] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd love to know what Yoko & Linda where chatting about? They looked kinda friendly with each other

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
WannaB wrote:
But watching the tension between Paul and George is fascinating.

Poor George; he felt so inferior to his new friend Eric Clapton, and his long-time school buddies are kinda squeezing him out

Interestingly, I believe George had the first number 1 solo album out of the group.

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Re: Peter Jackson's "The Beatles: Get Back" [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
George brings All Things Must Pass to the sessions and Paul and John really kind of crapped on it. Worked out for him eventually. šŸ˜

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I tried to watch the first episode over the Thanksgiving weekend a few times and have not gotten past halfway. The first 15 minutes where it is just a montage of footage all seen before (interview clips, Ed Sullivan, etc.) I could have done without. And after that it was kind of boring and hard to understand what was being said by the various Beatles amidst the cacophony. To be honest, I really did not like the original Let It Be movie very much anyway, other than the concert at the end, so I'm not too disappointed by this one.

For reference, I do like the Beatles...a lot. I have learned many of their songs on guitar, bass, the vocal arrangements, etc. But this movie is not doing it for me so far. I'll forge ahead with it though...or at least FF to the concert! I assume they kept that part in there.
Quote Reply
Re: Peter Jackson's "The Beatles: Get Back" [Big John] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love watching their creative process. From nothing to Let It Be in a couple of weeks. Yes, itā€™s kind of boring and monotonous but so was the process. Which is sort of the point Jackson is makingā€¦ in an eight-plus hour movie. šŸ˜

Last edited by: The GMAN: Nov 29, 21 7:06
Quote Reply
Re: Peter Jackson's "The Beatles: Get Back" [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
my wife and I watched the whole thing over a week or so

like everyone above said - the yoko thing was super weird. I kept thinking "isnt she bored yet?" I mean it IS the Beatles, but come on......she basically just sat there for a full month staring blankly ahead

Also if I dont hear the opening chords to Get Back for another year i'll be fine - they must have played that 9 million times in the movie

I thought that the parts where John and Paul goofed around were the most memorable
Quote Reply
Re: Peter Jackson's "The Beatles: Get Back" [y_nigel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
also "Half a Pound of Greasepaint on your face" is my new favorite beatles song
Quote Reply
Re: Peter Jackson's "The Beatles: Get Back" [y_nigel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
y_nigel wrote:
I thought that the parts where John and Paul goofed around were the most memorable

Perhaps the best John & Paul story is that Paul was visiting at The Dakota when Lorne Michaels made the offer for The Beatles to reunite on SNL

They actually considered it, for a moment

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
George brings All Things Must Pass to the sessions and Paul and John really kind of crapped on it. Worked out for him eventually. šŸ˜

Paul and John: "Boy, we're so short on time and we really need some songs."

George: "I have a song."

Paul and John: "We've really got to figure out how to get some more songs."

George: "I have a song."

Paul and John: "We can't waste any more time. We need some songs."

George: "See you around the clubs."

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Re: Peter Jackson's "The Beatles: Get Back" [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Who's the douchebag who keeps saying "Let's go to Africa"

Dude, they don't want to go, shut the fuck up

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:

Which episode is that? Around what point/time?
Quote Reply
Re: Peter Jackson's "The Beatles: Get Back" [alltom1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alltom1 wrote:
RandMart wrote:

Which episode is that? Around what point/time?

When they were brainstorming where to do the live show.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also love how everything in the 60's was so lazily planned/winged

They are looking at sketches of the set for the "TV Special" like 2 weeks before its supposed to happen! Then a few days before the deadline they're like "I dont think we're ready" - I was like no shit. The fact that some of the managers were pumping up them going to some amphitheater in the northern africa and bringing over a boat load of brits for the audience is hilarious. It seemed VERY amateur hour for the biggest band in like the history of the world.
Last edited by: y_nigel: Nov 29, 21 13:43
Quote Reply

Prev Next