Quote | Reply
Well the trailer certainly looks good.

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Re: Peter Jackson's "The Beatles: Get Back" [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dammit, I might have to finally get that subscription. Disney + doesn't play nicely with the other streaming services currently taking my money.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's an article about it in this week's New Yorker by David Remnick. I thought the article was a little too much John v. Paul, but I liked this sentence near the beginning.

"Their hosts are Nancy Shevell, the scion of a New Jersey trucking family, and her husband, Paul McCartney, a bass player and singer-songwriter from Liverpool."

https://www.newyorker.com/...ant-to-stop-the-show

Quote Reply
Re: Peter Jackson's "The Beatles: Get Back" [schroeder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
schroeder wrote:
There's an article about it in this week's New Yorker by David Remnick. I thought the article was a little too much John v. Paul, but I liked this sentence near the beginning.

"Their hosts are Nancy Shevell, the scion of a New Jersey trucking family, and her husband, Paul McCartney, a bass player and singer-songwriter from Liverpool."

I like the subtle and downplayed introduction of Paul McCartney.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Peter Jackson's "The Beatles: Get Back" [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
schroeder wrote:

Yes, it was a humorous idea to downplay it since anything past "Paul McCartney" is superfluous.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow.

I was seriously squinting trying to determine if this was CGI or actors I was seeing. I can't believe this kind of footage is out there and not seen. Looks great.

I was already getting annoyed at seeing Yoko in every fucking shot.

Quote Reply
Re: Peter Jackson's "The Beatles: Get Back" [Endo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Endo wrote:

Glad I'm not the only one.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
schroeder wrote:
The GMAN wrote:
schroeder wrote:

Yes, it was a humorous idea to downplay it since anything past "Paul McCartney" is superfluous.

Tangential anecdote...

My brother did an internship for Richard Donner and his production company while my brother was in film school. This was around 2000 or so. Richard Donner's directorial resume includes The Omen, Superman, Goonies, Lethal Weapon 1-4, Scrooged, Maverick, Conspiracy Theory. In case you didn't know.

So my brother was running errands and driving one of Donner's cars. Donner had left one of his phones in the car. The phone rings several times so my brother decides to answer it because someone really didn't want to leave a voicemail. The caller asked to speak to "Dick" so it was someone who knew him. My brother told the gentleman Donner wasn't available and give me your name and I will tell Mr. Donner you called. The guy says "Tell him Mel called and call me back." My brother asks "Mel who?" (in an apparent smart ass tone like David Spade's "And you.....are?).

"Gibson. I was in Lethal Weapon 1, Lethal Weapon 2, Lethal Weapon 3, Lethal Weapon 4... I won an Academy Award for Braveheart a few years ago."

My brother was mortified. I mean what other guy named Mel, with an Australian accent, would be calling Donner? Probably the guy who was in six of Donner's movies. That's who. :-)

Last edited by: The GMAN: Oct 14, 21 15:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bass player? Well, yes…but…also piano, acoustic guitar, electric guitar…and that’s just in that short little trailer…jaja.

FYI, I think the record album for this comes out tomorrow (Friday).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:

"Paul McCartney; close friend of Dave Grohl" would work

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
can't un-hear "attracts me like a cauliflower".

Just young lads in their mid to late 20s - not much older than my own kids.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Endo wrote:
Wow.

I was seriously squinting trying to determine if this was CGI or actors I was seeing. I can't believe this kind of footage is out there and not seen. Looks great.

The footage was created for the documentary Let It Be which was released, but it is really hard to find a copy of it. Paul blocked any rerelease in the past because there is a lot of bickering and he comes off as an ass.

The reason it looks so great is that Peter Jackson is using the same digital restoration techniques he used for They Shall Not Grow Old.
Quote Reply
Re: Peter Jackson's "The Beatles: Get Back" [torrey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I figured the footage had to be enhanced somehow. It looked remarkably good.

I wonder if Paul influenced what footage Peter could use for this.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Stones were in LA over the weekend and Mick Jagger responded to this article with something like, "I heard Paul McCartney is here tonight and is going to sing some blues covers with us"...jajaja. I watched a couple of songs from the concert (it's all on YouTube) and they were actually pretty decent. The new drummer is great!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
The GMAN wrote:

"Paul McCartney; close friend of Dave Grohl" would work

It was announced that McCartney will be delivering the induction speech as Foo Fighters enter the RnR HOF

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice counter!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The footage is pretty cool, and if you’re a Beatles fan, it’s a really interesting documentary. It really is basically just compiled footage and audio. No narrator, no attempt to construct a plot, etc. It’s really amazing to see these songs that you know by heart and that have impacted you, come together from raw ideas to full songs right in front of you, from some of the most beloved musicians in pop history.

If you’re a musical gear nerd, there’s tons of cool stuff to see as well.

If you’re not a big fan, this probably isn’t going to change your mind.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Endo wrote:
Thanks. I figured the footage had to be enhanced somehow. It looked remarkably good.

I wonder if Paul influenced what footage Peter could use for this.

Peter Jackson says no. He was given all the footage and came up with this. Showed it to Paul and Ringo and they gave no negative feedback.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
Endo wrote:

Me 3
Quote Reply
Re: Peter Jackson's "The Beatles: Get Back" [lkkowski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lkkowski wrote:
The GMAN wrote:
Endo wrote:

Me 3

Why is she so annoying?

If she was there, shouldn’t she be in the shots?

Should she be edited out?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
Endo wrote:

Its like seeing JarJar Binks show up in Star Wars.

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Re: Peter Jackson's "The Beatles: Get Back" [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
The footage is pretty cool, and if you’re a Beatles fan, it’s a really interesting documentary. It really is basically just compiled footage and audio. No narrator, no attempt to construct a plot, etc. It’s really amazing to see these songs that you know by heart and that have impacted you, come together from raw ideas to full songs right in front of you, from some of the most beloved musicians in pop history.

If you’re a musical gear nerd, there’s tons of cool stuff to see as well.

If you’re not a big fan, this probably isn’t going to change your mind.

It is awesome. Watching them build songs like lego sets. And the uncprecedented look into the group dynamics. Some of it I knew/presumed. But watching the tension between Paul and George is fascinating.
Quote Reply
Re: Peter Jackson's "The Beatles: Get Back" [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
would consider myself a fan of the music and late 60s culture in general. My memories of events from the late 60s are just out of reach.

Only watched about 40 minutes yesterday, and will watch some more later. i was (unfairly) a bit disappointed. For the real fans i am sure this will be great; seeing the interactions and how the songs are constructed. However, i found watching the fly-on-the-wall footage with no narrative hard going and slow. i think it would have been more accessible to a wider audience if he had broken up the footage with interviews with those still alive, TV clips, and other tools to tell the story - like a documentary film maker would do; but that would take something away from the real fans who can see the story unfolding without needing anything else. Peter Jackson has multiple oscars and i don't, so i expect he has got this right and i am in the minority.
Quote Reply
Re: Peter Jackson's "The Beatles: Get Back" [rich_m] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you want an interview with Paul McCartney - he was on NPR’s Fresh Air. He was promoting his new book “The Lyrics” - but he also talked about this documentary.. good interview for fans
Quote Reply

Prev Next