Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 4yr ban for Shelby Houlihan [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BobAjobb wrote:
michael Hatch wrote:
Have to admit that I haven't read every post.

But I believe that there is a definite problem here.
She may or may not be dumber than toast, there's no IQ requirement for an athlete.

My problem is the coach.
A coach is required to have some knowledge and yet neither of them appears to have the most basic rudimentary knowledge. This is their business.

So why is the coach also not sanctioned for his utter failure to provide proper background information about what can and cannot be eaten safely for an athlete who lives and dies on a single test result. There is a history of tainted food drug tests, tainted supplement drug failures and over the counter medications producing positive results. Are we to believe all this escaped him. The athlete is assumed to have received drugs and what source would that be?

We all know of athletes who have been cleared for merely sleeping with a user. She ate the user?

It's quite possible she is clean, it's quite possible she is not smart, her school records are, apparently, only about running. It's quite possible that her coach, who makes and breaks his reputation on producing Olympic athletes, gives no advice on what foods may be eaten, what supplements are safe and so on and so on.

Stupid is as stupid does.
She has my sympathies.
He doesn't.

Or maybe, just possibly maybe, they both knew exactly what they were up to and their story is BS to try to cover for being busted.
When the Taliban say they are a caring sharing benign equal opportunities organisation with pacifistic leanings, do you believe them too ?

☝️☝️☝️☝️☝️
This
Quote Reply
Re: 4yr ban for Shelby Houlihan [tri_yoda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Salazar was more than an employee at Nike - he's one of Phil Knight's buddies.

Nike seem to have a lot more scandals than the other shoe companies though. in addition to having to re-name the salazar building after all his bullying stuff got him banned for life they have had to rename the Joe Paterno child development center and the Lance Armstrong fitness center.
Quote Reply
Re: 4yr ban for Shelby Houlihan [rich_m] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rich_m wrote:
Joe Paterno child development center and the Lance Armstrong fitness center.

I thought you were using clever satire, like one short of the Harvey Weinstein Women's Resources Center, but double-checked.

Unbelievably, yours appear to have been reality.
Last edited by: trail: Sep 3, 21 16:28
Quote Reply
Re: 4yr ban for Shelby Houlihan [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
Here is the full report from CAS: https://www.athleticsintegrity.org/...d-Reasoned-FINAL.pdf

Did not read all if the posts, and only overflew said CAS Report, but what I find interesting, is that CAS appearently condiders seriously (poor) excuses from alleged dopers. I thought nandrolon is nandrolon, no matter how you got it in your body.
What if CAS had concluded, that it was indeed very probable that she got it unknowingly from the foodtruck? Would she then have been acquitted?
Quote Reply
Re: 4yr ban for Shelby Houlihan [longtrousers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
longtrousers wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:
Here is the full report from CAS: https://www.athleticsintegrity.org/...d-Reasoned-FINAL.pdf

Did not read all if the posts, and only overflew said CAS Report, but what I find interesting, is that CAS appearently condiders seriously (poor) excuses from alleged dopers. I thought nandrolon is nandrolon, no matter how you got it in your body.
What if CAS had concluded, that it was indeed very probable that she got it unknowingly from the foodtruck? Would she then have been acquitted?

If she was able to convince/prove to the arbitration panel that her positive test was from the food truck and not from say the "tainted supplement defense". Her suspension would be rescinded. Tainted supplement defense where you can prove that is the case and not just claim it as the reason why gets you a 6 month ban, because you are responsible for what enters your body.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: 4yr ban for Shelby Houlihan [longtrousers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
longtrousers wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:

It’s a reasonable point, but it really doesn’t matter who you are when A/B come back positive every athlete has a right to some form of CAS hearing.

It’s basically an appeal process and within that the athlete is allowed to present any evidence/timelines/ “feel good” character witnesses etc that they hope may strengthen their case.

Actually reading the CAS decision and their subsequent methodical take down of her claims is much better IMO than her just taking the ban.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Re: 4yr ban for Shelby Houlihan [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A win for the eponymous athlete. reported with commentary in this article entitled "Americans insist they care about doping in sports. And then there's Shelby Houlihan"
https://www.3wiresports.com/...eres-shelby-houlihan
Quote Reply
Re: 4yr ban for Shelby Houlihan [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Certainly we can extrapolate the feelings for an entire country based upon the results of an unsanctioned race in the middle of nowhere says terrible clickbaity nonsense.

Now, an accurate summary would be to point at any professional sport called football anywhere for when fans stop caring about doping. . . .
Quote Reply
Re: 4yr ban for Shelby Houlihan [Ajax Bay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ajax Bay wrote:
A win for the eponymous athlete. reported with commentary in this article entitled "Americans insist they care about doping in sports. And then there's Shelby Houlihan"

Some homers in Houlihan's hometown support Houlihan running an unsanctioned local race, therefore all Americans are terrible hypocrites. Details at 9.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ajax Bay wrote:

Quote:
Wade’s comments here were to a private Facebook group, according to Kevin Beck, who then posted the screenshot as a Twitter reply to Langley and included it in a Substack column.

As Beck notes in that column, posted Wednesday: “… what I can’t accept is the complete flipping of the script from “dopers should be punished, even if it sucks” to “the punishment for doping sucks too much, so doping suspensions must be overturned in the court of public opinion.”

I knew Kevin Beck from another running forum some years ago. He was praised for his running knowledge and writing talent

"His spoken prose is not nearly as florid and colorful as his writing, but he has a wry sense of humor and eye for pointing out the absurd. I think for magazines articles and informative pieces he's usually a bit verbose but he sure can put a good sentence together, and his posts (usually written on the fly) rarely had an error. If he could channel that ability into fiction or creative non-fiction he could go places! "

But he was also recognized as a Grade-A shit-stirrer, within and outside of the forum

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: 4yr ban for Shelby Houlihan [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fuck this shit. she should be banned from any sport that involves running, PERIOD.

anyone that allows her to race should be publicly shamed, and all sponsors should be canceled cultured hard AF.

i am also not heartless, people cheat for all kinds of reasons, at certain levels, it's harder to avoid than one may think. if i was supreme ruler of the world, i would allow banned athletes to compete in any sport that isn't the sport they were banned from, they just can't collect any prizes or step on any podiums.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did the Triathlon that day (it's a joint running/triathlon event) and didn't realize until afterwards that Shelby competed.

Its a fun event because of the Iowa Lakes and party atmosphere, but IMO poorly run. Very little support on course, poor markings (I actually got lost on the run...), etc. At one point I was going about 25+ and had to dodge a stream of half marathon runners that crossed over the bike course..... So it doesn't surprise me in the least that the event organizers were clueless about Shelby's ban.

I don't know her directly, but a local runner from my area finished second to Houlian... who was actually good enough to qualify for the olympic trials.

https://www.atlanta2020trials.com/fan-zone/athletes/Jen-Van-Otterloo
https://onlineraceresults.com/...ace_id=74861#racetop

Sanctioned race or not, Amateur's should not have to race against banned athletes.

Quote Reply
Re: 4yr ban for Shelby Houlihan [ahhchon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't think I don't notice your Double Letters

Quote Reply
Re: 4yr ban for Shelby Houlihan [brianvp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
brianvp wrote:
I did the Triathlon that day (it's a joint running/triathlon event) and didn't realize until afterwards that Shelby competed.
Sanctioned race or not, Amateurs should not have to race against banned athletes.
Back in the day of 'proper' amateur athletics (UK, eg 60s), if one ran in a race against professionals (however defined, running for prizes eg Lake District Guide races) you risked being banned from a 'normal' athletics track/competition.
But how is a runner in a low profile, un-sanctioned race going to know if a banned athlete is on the start list?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ajax Bay wrote:
Back in the day of 'proper' amateur athletics (UK, eg 60s), if one ran in a race against professionals (however defined, running for prizes eg Lake District Guide races) you risked being banned from a 'normal' athletics track/competition.

Thank goodness those days are over! Thank you Prefontaine and co.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ajax Bay wrote:
But how is a runner in a low profile, un-sanctioned race going to know if a banned athlete is on the start list?

One can't know for sure, so one would just assume that a banned runner wouldn't be "dumb enough" to actually try to get into a race, even a non-sanctioned one

Next thing you know we'll have banned athletes at the starting line with wigs or fake mustaches or even luchadore masks

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The letsrun take is hilarious as usual. Most of the scandal is that she only ran 1:16. Which on that forum is "tempo pace."
Quote Reply
Re: 4yr ban for Shelby Houlihan [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shelby was secretly working out with team…
https://cronkitenews.azpbs.org/...rug-test-asu-runner/
Quote Reply
Re: 4yr ban for Shelby Houlihan [hubcaps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's very cringe worthy in so many accounts.

DeBues-Stafford was concerned that Houlihan was working out “under the guidance of” the three BTC coaches (Schumacher, Shalane Flanagan and Pascal Dobert) at the same location and times that other BTC athletes were working out while under the supervision of the same coaches.
“While we never did a rep together, there was still what felt to me like an unnecessarily risky proximity between both men’s and women’s teams and an athlete serving a ban,” DeBues-Stafford said.
“Shelby would drive to the Nike campus up to four times a week at the team’s regular time and the starting point for our regular daily runs together so she could run with us,” DeBues-Stafford said. “If she arrived before us, she would wait for BTC athletes at the meeting spot to see if any BTC athletes arrived so she could run with us. These sometimes included long runs. She also ran with the team on a regular basis at altitude camp in Flagstaff.”
Houlihan said she and her attorney inquired about the rules of her ban and were told that she couldn’t go to any practices or work out with anyone on the team, but if she happened to bump into them and they were running at the same place, then she could run with them.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Sep 16, 22 9:38
Quote Reply
Re: 4yr ban for Shelby Houlihan [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But she would never do something so dishonest as lie about eating uncastrated boar offal....

Also, if a banned athlete was showing up for practice with a team I was on, I would definitely make a stink about it with the team management. I wonder what's going on with the BTC athletes and if they are cool with this.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Last edited by: RowToTri: Sep 16, 22 9:49
Quote Reply
Re: 4yr ban for Shelby Houlihan [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I find that the fault completely on the team/coach/management that "allows" that kinda of run around of the rules, that could then put the others in an uncomfortable position like that.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
I find that the fault completely on the team/coach/management that "allows" that kinda of run around of the rules

Agree. I'm done trying to give them the benefit of the doubt. This is just trying to milk every last inch of the gray area that allows occasional, incidental close presence in training. And, in my perception, veers clearly outside anything gray into pure black. Showing up in Flagstaff at the same time as the team is ridiculous.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
Houlihan said she and her attorney inquired about the rules of her ban and were told that she couldn’t go to any practices or work out with anyone on the team, but if she happened to bump into them and they were running at the same place, then she could run with them.

RADAR: Major Burns is sorry he can’t keep his date with you tonight.
MARGARET: Date?! Uh, I have no date with Major Burns, we’re just acquaintences… we DO run into each other once in a while…
RADAR: Well he can’t run into you tonight.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Considering that the team practices on a regular schedule, "running into them" can't be that hard. It unfortunately shows where the team's ethical compass is at.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: 4yr ban for Shelby Houlihan [hubcaps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hubcaps wrote:
Shelby was secretly working out with team…
https://cronkitenews.azpbs.org/...rug-test-asu-runner/

The writer is putting a bunch of intellectually dishonest stuff in this fluff piece. What's worse is the quotes from the current BTC group in "support" of her.

I also don't get the vibe that Nike cut her either.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply

Prev Next