Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 4yr ban for Shelby Houlihan [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You don't know how to order...
"hey, give me one of those $500 burritos?" *wink* *wink*

synthetic wrote:
I eat real mexican food everyday (in san diego, hole in wall places). Why am I not running sub 15min 5k? :)

What's your CdA?
Quote Reply
Re: 4yr ban for Shelby Houlihan [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck that is a very good point. Was it bought via credit card or the now rare cash purchase? If CC, the truck should have a copy they can match to the CC. Even then, if they really knew it was a soul destroying, life destroying event that just happened, wouldn't you trace the meat supplier & interview them & see what the real situation with the animal was (shot up, castrated or whatever the claim is with it) and try to add to the evidence of no foul play?

Also, who was with her--do the stories match up when in separate rooms interviewing them (not sure how CAS actually works so just throwing that out there if they do that with witnesses). Did they get another burrito just like it and have it tested to present as evidence from the same lot of meat delivery, and is there any in a freezer somewhere with the same packing lot number they could test?

We should also keep in mind any Olympic medals or commercial build up, support to the team and by other companies to these athletes really means the meal ticket to their future of being retired younger, future speaking engagements, graduation speeches, TV and talk show appearances, product sales....just their salaries and equipment supplies the rest of their contracted periods, buying a house or not having to go back to the "work world environment" any time soon....ALL that is at risk so some may take that risk and willingly do it. There is also the reputation and existence of BTC and Nike, the coaches and the continued programs for future Olympians who can repeat that same revenue generator if they are successful enough by winning a gold, silver or bronze medal. I can totally see someone making that kind of a decision and keeping it quiet at any cost. We only need to look at cycling to see what lengths they will go to in order to win. I would say anyone remotely close to her as far as competition (close being subjective of course) should be scrutinized because we have one that now was popped. The team is saying she is 100% innocent. Unfair. How do they know? What is their proof? We have scientific proof she did it--they have nothing but redirection of a flawed system and talk/opinions. My mind has changed on this the last 24 hrs the more I read about it...
Quote Reply
Re: 4yr ban for Shelby Houlihan [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Perhaps they should locate and interrogate the eaten pig's family. I'm sure Porky would love to give credible testimony. Was it a Hello Pig Order?
Quote Reply
Re: 4yr ban for Shelby Houlihan [kiwi.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kiwi. wrote:

Who gets a receipt from a food truck? Almost makes it less credible....

Expense account. I have receipts from most of the meals I've had in the last 13 days, including from 2 food trucks in Tulsa this past weekend...

"I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 10, and I don't know why!"
Last edited by: Warbird: Jun 15, 21 21:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kiwi. wrote:
RandMart wrote:
mag900 wrote:
they have provided no evidence that she actually had a burrito from that truck and that meat from that truck was tainted

The Letsrun link says they have "a receipt [from the food truck] and iPhone locator data to back up her explanation"

If she paid electronically it is very credible. I am on the fence as we don’t know enough facts, but my BS detector is activated.
Quote Reply
Re: 4yr ban for Shelby Houlihan [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:
Final conclusion - you don't really need to be taking any supplements if you are eating a well rounded diet.

There are some things that are still legal that might work, but you really should be taking these under the supervision and guidance of a medical doctor

Which would lead one to believe that unless all the coaches and managers are total fools they would know this. And these athletes would not be taking OTC supplements, or any chemicals, other than exactly the chemicals the coaches and trainers want them to be taking.

Which would mean the "tainted supplements" excuse is basically a bunch of BS, the athletes probably were systematically doping, not taking useless supplements that would risk a positive test for likely no performance benefit.
Quote Reply
Re: 4yr ban for Shelby Houlihan [SheTries] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SheTries wrote:
kiwi. wrote:
RandMart wrote:
mag900 wrote:
they have provided no evidence that she actually had a burrito from that truck and that meat from that truck was tainted

The Letsrun link says they have "a receipt [from the food truck] and iPhone locator data to back up her explanation"

If she paid electronically it is very credible. I am on the fence as we don’t know enough facts, but my BS detector is activated.

All it's going to show is that she ate at the truck, not what she ordered. To have any chance at CAS she would have had to show not only that she ate at the truck, but there was strong evidence that the particular meal she consumed was contaminated (which she didn't do).

With the contaminated supplement positives athletes can't just say "I took a supplement and sometimes they are contaminated." They have to prove that the specific supplement that they took (the unused portion, or unopened product from the same production run) was contaminated with the specific substance they tested positive for. Even then they usually get a reduced sanction, not off scot free.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: 4yr ban for Shelby Houlihan [hbog12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hbog12 wrote:
marathoners vs. 800 meter / 1500 meter runners. that's like saying Rupp should look like Centro.

She's obviously very lean, and has greater muscle mass. Here's a crazy thought. Some women have more muscle and less body fat than others. It's called genetics. Secondly, if you think those waifs don't have food issues, you are kidding yourself.

Here's the greatest Olympic gold medal winner in history (XC skiing). I suppose she must be doping too.

Absolutely. The "she looks unnatural" argument is highly subjective and not really anything I would consider evidence, especially based on an Instagram post of all things. Maybe when it comes to bodybuilding, but we're not exactly at that level- she's a track runner, and when you see unstaged photos of her running she looks pretty comparable to her peers.

Also- she doesn't look like that photo. Nobody looks like their photos.
I'm a 20-year old woman with a working knowledge of Instagram. I can make myself look pretty shredded if I want to, and I have nowhere near her bodyfat levels, training history, or professional motivations/resources to make myself look marketable as an athlete. (The latter of which tends to be disproportionately important when it comes to women.) Your personal opinion on what you think she should look like based on what she probably doesn't actually look like isn't exactly the damning conclusion some people make it out to be, and I don't think it's valid grounds for deciding someone's morality or intent.
Quote Reply
Re: 4yr ban for Shelby Houlihan [M----n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
M----n wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:

I don't think it is that uncommon for an athlete to NOT know about Nandrolone. What always amazes me reading comments on here, Youtube, other places is how much some people seem to know about doping. It is like, how the F*** do they know all this. The average pro who isn't doping really doesn't know a lot.

I have a lot of respect for a professional track & field athlete who is so completely clueless to the world around them that they claim to have 'never heard of nandrolone'. It's like Einstein getting lost in thought on his way home from the post office. Kind of a cute story, but probably not true.

x2. i learned what nandrolone was when i read about it in triathlete magazine at the age of . . . i dunno, 17? everyone and their dog was getting busted for it.

side note: that perhaps argues for houlihan's innocence here. nandrolone is an old-fashioned drug that's easy to test positive for. surely nike's athletes (per victor conte) have access to a much more sophisticated buffet of cutting-edge stuff? in other words, if she was going to dope (and test positive), it wouldn't be with nandrolone . . .

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: 4yr ban for Shelby Houlihan [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rocky M wrote:
Fleck that is a very good point. Was it bought via credit card or the now rare cash purchase? If CC, the truck should have a copy they can match to the CC. Even then, if they really knew it was a soul destroying, life destroying event that just happened, wouldn't you trace the meat supplier & interview them & see what the real situation with the animal was (shot up, castrated or whatever the claim is with it) and try to add to the evidence of no foul play?

Also, who was with her--do the stories match up when in separate rooms interviewing them (not sure how CAS actually works so just throwing that out there if they do that with witnesses). Did they get another burrito just like it and have it tested to present as evidence from the same lot of meat delivery, and is there any in a freezer somewhere with the same packing lot number they could test?.

I don't think the potential response of getting another burrito and testing, etc would have been realistic. I don't know what the turnaround on these drug tests are, but I do know that it's not instant, and I would imagine that it would take at least a few days between testing and communication of bad results to the athlete. By which time I'm sure that set of meat delivery has been used up or tossed. And do food trucks keep records of which meat suppliers were used for which meals?
Quote Reply
Re: 4yr ban for Shelby Houlihan [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iron_mike wrote:
M----n wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:

I don't think it is that uncommon for an athlete to NOT know about Nandrolone. What always amazes me reading comments on here, Youtube, other places is how much some people seem to know about doping. It is like, how the F*** do they know all this. The average pro who isn't doping really doesn't know a lot.

I have a lot of respect for a professional track & field athlete who is so completely clueless to the world around them that they claim to have 'never heard of nandrolone'. It's like Einstein getting lost in thought on his way home from the post office. Kind of a cute story, but probably not true.

x2. i learned what nandrolone was when i read about it in triathlete magazine at the age of . . . i dunno, 17? everyone and their dog was getting busted for it.

side note: that perhaps argues for houlihan's innocence here. nandrolone is an old-fashioned drug that's easy to test positive for. surely nike's athletes (per victor conte) have access to a much more sophisticated buffet of cutting-edge stuff? in other words, if she was going to dope (and test positive), it wouldn't be with nandrolone . . .

Like most underhand dealings unless you are dealing directly with a doctor and pharmacy then you have no idea really what you are injecting. She may have been using something a little more sophisticated but been given a bogus batch of old school deca..
Quote Reply
Re: 4yr ban for Shelby Houlihan [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
Seems to me that steroids ain't cheap, so using them in animals is just not worth the ROI

I doubt the tainted meat thing.

https://www.fda.gov/animal-veterinary/product-safety-information/steroid-hormone-implants-used-growth-food-producing-animals

FDA Approves the use of steroids for Beef production.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kiwi. wrote:
RandMart wrote:
mag900 wrote:

She paid on a credit card, used apple pay, etc. That's not that unbelievable. I don't believe I've used cash at any of the food trucks I've visited this year.

--- Unrelated to the above ---

I thought this was interesting - https://www.letsrun.com/...rack-field-tragedy/:

"Greene believes that pork offal is the only logical source of the nandrolone. If it did not come from the pork, he says, there are two ways it could have entered her body: an injection or via an oral supplement. The AIU conceded that it was not injected. If it had been, traces would still have remained in her system by the time of her next test on January 23 — which she passed. That leaves only the oral supplement, a method Greene says an athlete would have to be “a moron” to employ because, when ingested that way, the nandrolone leaves the body within 24 hours.
“To catch someone taking an oral steroid [and find a concentration] under 15 ng/mL, the window of detection is less than an hour. They couldn’t identify one time it’s ever happened. They kept saying how unlikely it was that she could have eaten boar. It’s more unlikely that they would have caught her this way…You can look at nandrolone cases. All the studies — go read them, they’re all publicly available — it’s all injectables…This was a purely theoretical determination.”
Quote Reply
Re: 4yr ban for Shelby Houlihan [smallhips] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
smallhips wrote:
Isnt Nandralone the same drug top sprinters were caught , Ben Johnson?

FloTrack youtube has interviews from Houlihan, Flanagan, and Schumacher. All seem very believable, but I find extremely hard to believe they never heard of Nandralone?

I bolded four words -- for some reason they reminded me of the George Burns quote (which I am sure I am mangling): "The secret to success is sincerity -- once you can fake that you have it made." ;)
Quote Reply
Re: 4yr ban for Shelby Houlihan [mbeaugard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mbeaugard wrote:
"Greene believes that pork offal is the only logical source of the nandrolone. If it did not come from the pork, he says, there are two ways it could have entered her body: an injection or via an oral supplement. ...”

Greene also said that Shelby ordered a CARNE ASADA (steak) burrito the night before the failed test. So not only did she get the wrong meat in her burrito, it had high levels of nandrolone and she didn't notice it wasn't steak she was eating or she didn't care.
Quote Reply
Re: 4yr ban for Shelby Houlihan [tri_yoda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Which would lead one to believe that unless all the coaches and managers are total fools they would know this. And these athletes would not be taking OTC supplements, or any chemicals, other than exactly the chemicals the coaches and trainers want them to be taking.

Which would mean the "tainted supplements" excuse is basically a bunch of BS, the athletes probably were systematically doping, not taking useless supplements that would risk a positive test for likely no performance benefit.

The claim that they don't really know what's going on, is a bit bogus my view. The IOC, WADA, and National Sports Federations go out of their way to tell and inform athletes of all of the risks of taking supplements, of any kind. Even if they say they are "clean" - you can't really trust them.

I know in Canada whenever you make it to the national Team Level in a sport you are handed a guide-book that's as thick as a Bible about all the do's and don'ts if you are an athlete at this level. It outlines VERY clearly all the responsibilities of things like Where-Abouts, TUE's etc . . and goes into great detail about what you eat and consume and how you need to be very careful about just about everything you put in your mouth. So for an athlete or a coach to claim that they don't know what's going on, or they are not sure about something . . . then they have ignored some or all of the information that has been provided to them.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: 4yr ban for Shelby Houlihan [hugoagogo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hugoagogo wrote:
smallhips wrote:
Isnt Nandralone the same drug top sprinters were caught , Ben Johnson?

FloTrack youtube has interviews from Houlihan, Flanagan, and Schumacher. All seem very believable, but I find extremely hard to believe they never heard of Nandralone?

I bolded four words -- for some reason they reminded me of the George Burns quote (which I am sure I am mangling): "The secret to success is sincerity -- once you can fake that you have it made." ;)

Nope, you nailed it

I think I've also heard that attributed to Groucho, but they both stole it from some French dude; the same one who said "Only the mediocre are always at their best."

https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Jean_Giraudoux

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Greene believes that pork offal is the only logical source of the nandrolone. If it did not come from the pork, he says, there are two ways it could have entered her body: an injection or via an oral supplement. The AIU conceded that it was not injected. If it had been, traces would still have remained in her system by the time of her next test on January 23 — which she passed. That leaves only the oral supplement, a method Greene says an athlete would have to be “a moron” to employ because, when ingested that way, the nandrolone leaves the body within 24 hours.
“To catch someone taking an oral steroid [and find a concentration] under 15 ng/mL, the window of detection is less than an hour. They couldn’t identify one time it’s ever happened. They kept saying how unlikely it was that she could have eaten boar. It’s more unlikely that they would have caught her this way…You can look at nandrolone cases. All the studies — go read them, they’re all publicly available — it’s all injectables…This was a purely theoretical determination.”

To me this sounds like an explanation on the best way to micro dose Nandrolone to minimize getting caught in a test.
Quote Reply
Re: 4yr ban for Shelby Houlihan [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
The_Exile wrote:
Having read a bit more about it, I am absolutely amazed that a track athlete and her coach have both never heard of Nandrolone. Maybe it is because I am British and of an age where I grew up seeing Linford Christie on the TV constantly, but I am hugely shocked that neither of them have even heard of it.

This has to come up quite a few times from various people on here, other mediums etc and I am choosing to respond to this one for no rhyme or reason.

I don't think it is that uncommon for an athlete to NOT know about Nandrolone. What always amazes me reading comments on here, Youtube, other places is how much some people seem to know about doping. It is like, how the F*** do they know all this. The average pro who isn't doping really doesn't know a lot. On a personal level I was happy to educate athletes on the best tires to use in triathlon or why the lead vehicle was important, but ask me about doping and I would really only know EPO, T, HGH for quite a while. Then maybe Clen or Ostarine as it got some press in triathlon. I knew when traveling to Mexico not to eat meat. But beyond that very little and I was double T crosser, double I dotter. Athletes who don't dope, just don't know much. I always think back to Andy Potts riding Gatorskins in Kona. WTF would the best chance at a US Kona win ride Gatorskins. This is a professional we are talking about it. This is an Olympian. People give pro athletes way too much credit for their wide breadth of knowledge.

I’m not really surprised with either. If you look at what has happened with some non-sport professionals and how they got blasted by everyone it’s not worth the risk so you pay more attention to it. The last thing I would want for myself is to accidentally take something that I wasn’t paying attention about at nationals/worlds and all of sudden test positive and have that spread everywhere. Especially when a google search is almost always part of the hiring process now.

In some ways, and maybe it’s because i’m not a pro athlete, I think it’s worse to get busted as an amateur. You get the why the hell would this person cheat just to win a medal, what else are they cheating on. Where a lot of people, not here obviously, but in the general public, brush off sports doping as everyone is doing it that person just got caught or whatever reason they have.
Quote Reply
Re: 4yr ban for Shelby Houlihan [coopdog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
coopdog wrote:
Is anyone thinking what I am thinking? Eat a burrito, dope....if I get caught I can blame it on the burrito. A pre-planned alibi would not surprise me, people who dope are diabolical.

No

No one is thinking that

We are all honest people here [except those with double letters in their user names, who are considered suspect]

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mbeaugard wrote:

I thought this was interesting - https://www.letsrun.com/...rack-field-tragedy/:

It's entirely possible I'm missing something by why is using the doping method that leaves your system quickly the choice of 'a moron' rather than the method that is detectable for over a month?

ETA what I did miss was that Fishhawk21 had already made this point.
Last edited by: OddSlug: Jun 16, 21 6:31
Quote Reply
Re: 4yr ban for Shelby Houlihan [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
coopdog wrote:
Is anyone thinking what I am thinking? Eat a burrito, dope....if I get caught I can blame it on the burrito. A pre-planned alibi would not surprise me, people who dope are diabolical.

No

No one is thinking that

We are all honest people here [except those with double letters in their user names, who are considered suspect]

Exactly, but he should feel free to load up on Doba burritos and them try to use that excuse when he pops hot.

I can smell the bullcrap from here. She was micro dosing and knows it. Carne Asada...Lol
Quote Reply
Re: 4yr ban for Shelby Houlihan [flubber] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
flubber wrote:

Absolutely. The "she looks unnatural" argument is highly subjective and not really anything I would consider evidence, especially based on an Instagram post of all things. Maybe when it comes to bodybuilding, but we're not exactly at that level- she's a track runner, and when you see unstaged photos of her running she looks pretty comparable to her peers.

Also- she doesn't look like that photo. Nobody looks like their photos.
I'm a 20-year old woman with a working knowledge of Instagram. I can make myself look pretty shredded if I want to, and I have nowhere near her bodyfat levels, training history, or professional motivations/resources to make myself look marketable as an athlete. (The latter of which tends to be disproportionately important when it comes to women.) Your personal opinion on what you think she should look like based on what she probably doesn't actually look like isn't exactly the damning conclusion some people make it out to be, and I don't think it's valid grounds for deciding someone's morality or intent.

You're not a green goopy susbtance that bounces all over the place and even makes cars fly that was discovered by Professor Brainard? ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyPqOt_Pgiw

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: 4yr ban for Shelby Houlihan [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:

bu rr ito
o ff al
Quote Reply
Re: 4yr ban for Shelby Houlihan [OddSlug] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OddSlug wrote:
mbeaugard wrote:

It's entirely possible I'm missing something by why is using the doping method that leaves your system quickly the choice of 'a moron' rather than the method that is detectable for over a month?

ETA what I did miss was that Fishhawk21 had already made this point.

The athlete specifies the testing window each day. They don't know what days they will be tested but know when they will be tested. Otherwise it would be impossible for the testers to find the athletes, through no fault of the athletes. Athletes are also busted for whereabouts violations as well and I think 3 of them in a year results in the same punishment as a doping positive.

The other explanation could be that it was a Floyd Landis situation where maybe she was blood doping and her blood happened to be contaminated.
Quote Reply

Prev Next