Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 4yr ban for Shelby Houlihan [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Imagine if Lebron James or Tom Brady got caught using roids?

The fact that elite cyclists and runners are still getting caught is a great thing.

It means that some of the elite contestants are probably clean.

Last clean pro football or basketball player - some unknown from the 1970s.
Quote Reply
Re: 4yr ban for Shelby Houlihan [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hammer Nutrition, Ltd. sued by endurance athletes from Australia, United States, and Canada, claiming positive steroid tests cau (spencelawyers.com)

it is what Rebekah Keat was popped for from tainted supplements.

i have no interest in any of this per se but the Qs is why did CAS deny the appeal? Their release is yet to come. And where is WADA? It reads like from her press release WADA suggested the hair samples are a mitigating factor showing contamination probability vs. consistent use of the drug. But this case judiciary is Athletics Integrity Unit (AIU).

I would be more inclined to believe a 'tainted supplement/reduced sentence' defense than I am pork/don't know what nandrolone is defense. But what i believe doesn't really matter. What i think does is my 2 Qs above for future protection of clean athletes. Where is CAS? and where is WADA?

@rhyspencer
Quote Reply
Re: 4yr ban for Shelby Houlihan [hbog12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IMHO, Infeld, Gwen and Karissa don't look quite like this.
https://www.instagram.com/p/B2jj4D_BGaG/

Last edited by: innohurry: Jun 15, 21 10:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
Quote:
People here are proclaiming her innocence

who here is doing that?

Quote:
If she were almost any other nationality, or maybe even looked different as an American (e.g. not white and good looking), the comments would have a lot less denial

this is such a flawed argument that gets repeated not infrequently. it's boring.

Not true. This is the fundamental issue at play. Andy Froncioni’s proposal is the solution that leverages the human factor.

E

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
trail wrote:
tri3ba wrote:
that such a level could be the result of endogenous production of the human body.

Endogenous production results from a reaction involving testosterone. From a brief search, it seems the only detectable nandrolone in women involved pregnancy. (but further search could prove me wrong)

In men, it's detectable, but also as far as I can tell, it'd be rare to have a level above the threshold limit. Even in elite athletes.

The combination of those two things seem to me it'd be unlikely that it was endogenous. But she could undergo testing to see if she's a unicorn-type endogenous producer. Which if one existed, it might not be surprising to find them in elite athletics.

here, in a snippet from a circular produced by FIFA, it says that some contraceptives women take to delay menstruation contain norethisterone, a nandrolone metabolite that will trigger an adverse finding. i also think pregnancy can generate an AAF for nandrolone, which would qualify as endogenous production. i may ask around about her case.

Pregnancy doping?

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: 4yr ban for Shelby Houlihan [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i'm not surprised you feel as though that's the fundamental issue at play.
Quote Reply
Re: 4yr ban for Shelby Houlihan [Velocibuddha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Velocibuddha wrote:
The fact that elite cyclists and runners are still getting caught is a great thing.

I don't really compare the two. Athletes in some pro sports have implicit agreements with each other and fans. So it's not really cheating anymore since the reasonable expectation of cleanliness is absent. You play in the NFL, you know what you're getting into. Just don't be dumb about it (like a few athletes are every year).

In Olympic-type sports we still try to maintain the appearance of adhering to The Code. Maybe that's eroding a bit, so that in some sports it's effectively a free-for-all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
i'm not surprised you feel as though that's the fundamental issue at play.

What, human nature?

Quote Reply
Re: 4yr ban for Shelby Houlihan [innohurry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marathoners vs. 800 meter / 1500 meter runners. that's like saying Rupp should look like Centro.

She's obviously very lean, and has greater muscle mass. Here's a crazy thought. Some women have more muscle and less body fat than others. It's called genetics. Secondly, if you think those waifs don't have food issues, you are kidding yourself.

Here's the greatest Olympic gold medal winner in history (XC skiing). I suppose she must be doping too.
Quote Reply
Re: 4yr ban for Shelby Houlihan [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the fundamental issue at play is that (one of) the best distance runner in america popped a positive, and asserts that it was tainted meat. and that neither she nor her coach have ever heard of nandrolone.
Last edited by: jkhayc: Jun 15, 21 11:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here is something to think about... Colleen Quigley left the BTC team a few weeks ago in protest.
Quote Reply
Re: 4yr ban for Shelby Houlihan [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
Here is something to think about... Colleen Quigley left the BTC team a few weeks ago in protest.

No man, that was four months ago now. I understand that in the pandemic era time is a fictional construct.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: 4yr ban for Shelby Houlihan [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It seemed like it was "protest" related to money.

"one eye doubles my eyesight, so things don't look half bad" John Hiatt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
trail wrote:
tri3ba wrote:
that such a level could be the result of endogenous production of the human body.

Endogenous production results from a reaction involving testosterone. From a brief search, it seems the only detectable nandrolone in women involved pregnancy. (but further search could prove me wrong)

In men, it's detectable, but also as far as I can tell, it'd be rare to have a level above the threshold limit. Even in elite athletes.

The combination of those two things seem to me it'd be unlikely that it was endogenous. But she could undergo testing to see if she's a unicorn-type endogenous producer. Which if one existed, it might not be surprising to find them in elite athletics.

here, in a snippet from a circular produced by FIFA, it says that some contraceptives women take to delay menstruation contain norethisterone, a nandrolone metabolite that will trigger an adverse finding. i also think pregnancy can generate an AAF for nandrolone, which would qualify as endogenous production. i may ask around about her case.

in the case of the former, would the contraceptives then be on the banned list? and this turns into a 'starky redux' case of the athlete not vetting their (legal) drugs carefully enough? or would the contraceptives still be totally fine, and their (occasional) production of dodgy metabolites simply an unfortunate side-effect that's readily cleared up with a doctor's note?

in the case of a pregnancy, that too would (surely!) be an easy one to clarify . . .

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
the fundamental issue at play is that (one of) the best distance runner in america popped a positive, and asserts that it was tainted meat. and that neither she nor her coach have ever heard of nandrolone.

not asserting tainted meat. it's merely conjecture on their part because they have provided no evidence that she actually had a burrito from that truck and that meat from that truck was tainted. this is the defense you use when you have no defense.

she also rolled the dice by asking for an expedited hearing and fighting hard so now her career is basically over because she is out of paris too. she would have been better off being honest and repentant to get the typical light ban of max a year and then have paris to shoot for.
Quote Reply
Re: 4yr ban for Shelby Houlihan [mag900] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shelby and her team are, in fact, asserting that her positive is the result of tainted meat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
from the horse's mouth:

In the following 5 days after being notified, I put together a food log of everything that I consumed the week of that December 15th test. We concluded that the most likely explanation was a burrito purchased and consumed approximately 10 hours before that drug test from an authentic Mexican food truck that serves pig offal near my house in Beaverton, Oregon. I notified the AIU that I believed this was the source.

she's just guessing with language like that because she had no other defense. she didn't even provide evidence that she ate from a food truck that day. why would tex-mex food truck selling burritos be dumping pig offal (which is all of the junk leftover from the pig, like brains and lungs) into a burrito? it's simply not credible but she can't claim it came from a beef, chicken, fish or veggie burrito (the kinds that normal people order). just one loaded up with leftover pig guts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mag900 wrote:
they have provided no evidence that she actually had a burrito from that truck and that meat from that truck was tainted

The Letsrun link says they have "a receipt [from the food truck] and iPhone locator data to back up her explanation"

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Last edited by: RandMart: Jun 15, 21 12:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's literally what asserting means.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mag900 wrote:
why would tex-mex food truck selling burritos be dumping pig offal (which is all of the junk leftover from the pig, like brains and lungs) into a burrito?

Was it tex-mex or "authentic Mexican" per the post you responded to?

Tex-mex, almost no chance. But *authentic* Mexican food certainly. Real Mexican barbacoa or cochinita pibil can easily involve almost the whole dang animal. Even carnitas, per RandMart above. I don't know how likely it would be that a Beaverton food truck would be serving authentic Mexican. I could see it in, say, some 'hoods in Los Angeles for sure. If it were authentic it wouldn't be hard to track down, as it'd be upscale (it's way more labor intensive to make authentic Mexican food than just grill meat American-style).
Last edited by: trail: Jun 15, 21 12:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mag900 wrote:
fwhy would tex-mex food truck selling burritos be dumping pig offal (which is all of the junk leftover from the pig, like brains and lungs) into a burrito? it's simply not credible but she can't claim it came from a beef, chicken, fish or veggie burrito (the kinds that normal people order). just one loaded up with leftover pig guts.

Excuse me but isn't all those leftover bits just ... sausage? Or Scrapple, if you're in PA?

'Cuz you never know what's in that shit

So maybe it was a pork carnita with sausage?

I'm not taking her side, just wondering what the menu may have been

Quote Reply
Re: 4yr ban for Shelby Houlihan [The_Exile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The_Exile wrote:
Having read a bit more about it, I am absolutely amazed that a track athlete and her coach have both never heard of Nandrolone. Maybe it is because I am British and of an age where I grew up seeing Linford Christie on the TV constantly, but I am hugely shocked that neither of them have even heard of it.

This has to come up quite a few times from various people on here, other mediums etc and I am choosing to respond to this one for no rhyme or reason.

I don't think it is that uncommon for an athlete to NOT know about Nandrolone. What always amazes me reading comments on here, Youtube, other places is how much some people seem to know about doping. It is like, how the F*** do they know all this. The average pro who isn't doping really doesn't know a lot. On a personal level I was happy to educate athletes on the best tires to use in triathlon or why the lead vehicle was important, but ask me about doping and I would really only know EPO, T, HGH for quite a while. Then maybe Clen or Ostarine as it got some press in triathlon. I knew when traveling to Mexico not to eat meat. But beyond that very little and I was double T crosser, double I dotter. Athletes who don't dope, just don't know much. I always think back to Andy Potts riding Gatorskins in Kona. WTF would the best chance at a US Kona win ride Gatorskins. This is a professional we are talking about it. This is an Olympian. People give pro athletes way too much credit for their wide breadth of knowledge.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: 4yr ban for Shelby Houlihan [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iron_mike wrote:
Slowman wrote:
trail wrote:
tri3ba wrote:

in the case of the former, would the contraceptives then be on the banned list? and this turns into a 'starky redux' case of the athlete not vetting their (legal) drugs carefully enough? or would the contraceptives still be totally fine, and their (occasional) production of dodgy metabolites simply an unfortunate side-effect that's readily cleared up with a doctor's note?

in the case of a pregnancy, that too would (surely!) be an easy one to clarify . . .

my understanding is that the birth control product(s) we're talking about actually are allowed per the WADA code. here's a WADA technical sheet, and i don't know if its guidance is current or not. my understanding is that in this case, if you're using this birth control method, your threshold is now 10ng/ml, which means shelby would have been safely inside the threshold with her 5ng/ml (that's what was reported by somebody in this thread). however, i can only assume she was not on that drug or else she'd not be subject to a ban.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: 4yr ban for Shelby Houlihan [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Real Mexican barbacoa or cochinita pibil can easily involve almost the whole dang animal. Even carnitas, per RandMart above. I don't know how likely it would be that a Beaverton food truck would be serving authentic Mexican. I could see it in, say, some 'hoods in Los Angeles for sure. If it were authentic it wouldn't be hard to track down, as it'd be upscale (it's way more labor intensive to make authentic Mexican food than just grill meat American-style).

What's the one where they boil the whole head?

Quote Reply
Re: 4yr ban for Shelby Houlihan [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
The_Exile wrote:
Having read a bit more about it, I am absolutely amazed that a track athlete and her coach have both never heard of Nandrolone. Maybe it is because I am British and of an age where I grew up seeing Linford Christie on the TV constantly, but I am hugely shocked that neither of them have even heard of it.

This has to come up quite a few times from various people on here, other mediums etc and I am choosing to respond to this one for no rhyme or reason.

I don't think it is that uncommon for an athlete to NOT know about Nandrolone. What always amazes me reading comments on here, Youtube, other places is how much some people seem to know about doping. It is like, how the F*** do they know all this. The average pro who isn't doping really doesn't know a lot. On a personal level I was happy to educate athletes on the best tires to use in triathlon or why the lead vehicle was important, but ask me about doping and I would really only know EPO, T, HGH for quite a while. Then maybe Clen or Ostarine as it got some press in triathlon. I knew when traveling to Mexico not to eat meat. But beyond that very little and I was double T crosser, double I dotter. Athletes who don't dope, just don't know much. I always think back to Andy Potts riding Gatorskins in Kona. WTF would the best chance at a US Kona win ride Gatorskins. This is a professional we are talking about it. This is an Olympian. People give pro athletes way too much credit for their wide breadth of knowledge.

i totally agree with your overall point about giving pros too much credit.

BUT.

riding gatorskins in kona is NOT a career ender.

knowing about PEDs IS.
Quote Reply

Prev Next