Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 4yr ban for Shelby Houlihan [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
These Russians are always cheating. Oh wait, she's American? In that case I believe she is clean, plus she seems nice and nice people don't dope. Her and her coach haven't even heard of nandrolone.

This isn't Armstrong level denial but still hilarious. She's a doper, get over it.
Quote Reply
Re: 4yr ban for Shelby Houlihan [The_Exile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The_Exile wrote:
Having read a bit more about it, I am absolutely amazed that a track athlete and her coach have both never heard of Nandrolone. Maybe it is because I am British and of an age where I grew up seeing Linford Christie on the TV constantly, but I am hugely shocked that neither of them have even heard of it.

yeah, that part just doesn't pass the basic smell test. i'm a mediocre age-group triathlete, and i've heard of nandrolone. hell, everyone and their brother was taking that stuff 20 years ago. there were many people busted for it, including endurance athletes - dieter baumann, spencer smith, jurgen zack, olivier bernhard, etc etc etc...

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: 4yr ban for Shelby Houlihan [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:

To be pedantic, you didn't link to anything. Nothing to discuss.

Well, to be honest, I almost entitled the thread "Jorgensen teammate gets 4 year ban after positive test for Nandrolone"

But I didn't want Dan to get mad.
Quote Reply
Re: 4yr ban for Shelby Houlihan [fulla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fulla wrote:
Didn't she make some big improvements recently?

I'm very skeptical of anyone who holds records being clean. After all there was a time when T&F athletes could more or less dope with immunity. Look at how many female world records are still there from the 80s and 90s.
Quote Reply
Re: 4yr ban for Shelby Houlihan [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is interesting to point out that several of the BTC athletes posted support for Houlihan yesterday. Gwen wasn't one of them.
Quote Reply
Re: 4yr ban for Shelby Houlihan [jeremyscarroll] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jeremyscarroll wrote:
It is interesting to point out that several of the BTC athletes posted support for Houlihan yesterday. Gwen wasn't one of them.

She probably doesn't want anything to do with the situation as there is pretty much nothing to gain from getting involved, I don't blame her one bit.
Quote Reply
Re: 4yr ban for Shelby Houlihan [fulla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fulla wrote:
Didn't she make some big improvements recently?

AR in the 5000 and 1500 in the past year or so.
Quote Reply
Re: 4yr ban for Shelby Houlihan [SheTries] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SheTries wrote:
What level did she actually register and how is that in comparison to all the other tests she had?

I am cynical about claims regarding contaminated meat but if the levels are extremely low it is unlikely to have come from administered drugs. The levels are way higher.

Since she is going for the contaminated meat bs like Contador, my guess is that the levels must be low enough. A contaminated supplement could be the real source. Nandrolone stays in the system for months, so seems like a dumb drug choice. Past cases have shown that admitting to a contaminated supplement almost always ends up in a conviction (could be wrong here). However, to my knowledge, no athlete has been successful at using the contaminated meat excuse unless they were at a region that could actually have contaminated meat (i.e. clen in China and Mexico, some soccer players come to mind).

In my view, the sketchy food truck excuse is really not helping her image among educated fans.
Quote Reply
Re: 4yr ban for Shelby Houlihan [Engner66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Engner66 wrote:
SheTries wrote:
What level did she actually register and how is that in comparison to all the other tests she had?

I am cynical about claims regarding contaminated meat but if the levels are extremely low it is unlikely to have come from administered drugs. The levels are way higher.

Since she is going for the contaminated meat bs like Contador, my guess is that the levels must be low enough. A contaminated supplement could be the real source. Nandrolone stays in the system for months, so seems like a dumb drug choice. Past cases have shown that admitting to a contaminated supplement almost always ends up in a conviction (could be wrong here). However, to my knowledge, no athlete has been successful at using the contaminated meat excuse unless they were at a region that could actually have contaminated meat (i.e. clen in China and Mexico, some soccer players come to mind).

In my view, the sketchy food truck excuse is really not helping her image among educated fans.

It's actually happened a few times recently (this is from an article from another endurance news/forum website):

• 2017: The US record holder in the 800 meters, Ajee’ Wilson, tested positive for zeranol but wasn’t suspended after USADA ruled that the zeranol likely stemmed from contaminated meat.
  • 2018: Jarrion Lawson, the silver medalist in the long jump at the 2017 World Championships, was suspended by the AIU for testing positive for the steroid trenbolone. He was forced to miss almost two years of competition, but was ultimately cleared after a Court of Arbitration for Sport panel overturned his ban.
  • 2018: Will Claye, a three-time Olympic medalist in the long/triple jump, tested positive for clenbuterol but avoided a suspension after USADA believed his explanation of eating contaminated meat.
  • 2020: Brenda Martinez, the 2013 World Championship silver medalist in the 800 meters, tested positive for hydrochlorothiazide, a diuretic which can be used as a masking agent. USADA issued a no-fault finding and Martinez avoided a ban after she proved the hydrochlorothiazide stemmed from a contaminated antidepressant medication she was taking.

Quote Reply
Re: 4yr ban for Shelby Houlihan [drm437] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
drm437 wrote:
I don’t believe she doesn’t know what nandrolone is.

Maybe they don't follow baseball?

https://en.wikipedia.org/...ce#Nandrolone_esters

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: 4yr ban for Shelby Houlihan [The_Exile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The_Exile wrote:
Having read a bit more about it, I am absolutely amazed that a track athlete and her coach have both never heard of Nandrolone. Maybe it is because I am British and of an age where I grew up seeing Linford Christie on the TV constantly, but I am hugely shocked that neither of them have even heard of it.

Of course they've heard of it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I believe that Shelby is a doper and that Jerry, Shalane, and Shelby are liars.

The parade of coincidence is absurd. She gets popped after a 2-year stretch of dominance where she breaks 2 significant American records and looks completely jacked.

The pork alibi comes from a study in which the offal came from uncastrated boars (virtually ALL male pigs raised for meat are castrated) and the study participants ate over 2/3 of a pound of that stuff in order to have the same levels of nandrolone in their system as Shelby.

I know she's an elite endurance athlete, but can she actually eat that much offal?!?! Would anybody actually serve that much of it in a damned burrito?

They "never heard of nandrolone" and claim to care about clean sport.

GTFOH
Quote Reply
Re: 4yr ban for Shelby Houlihan [hobbyjogger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i know it isn't proof, but that progression from having bests of 4:03 and 15:06 at 23 (and looking to be hitting a plateau) - to 3:54 and 14:23 over the following few years need an explanation. Inflexion points in performance for those in their mid-20s, already training full-time and performing at a very high level don't just happen. As i said, not proof, but needing an explanation.

......and i was a fan of Jerry and the BTC.

I'm a former pharmacist, and competitive runner for over 45 years who has more knowledge of PEDS than most (I'd even go to lectures on testing practices), but still find it unbelievable that any top class athlete and coach wouldn't have heard of nandrolone. If it was my job i would know the list inside out.
Quote Reply
Re: 4yr ban for Shelby Houlihan [rich_m] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rich_m wrote:
If it was my job i would know the list inside out.

Know the list, know the cases of false positives [tainted food, or prescriptions meds], and don't do or take those things, just to be sure - don't use the false positives as examples of potential excuses later on

#just_DONT_do_it

If you have to skip the taco truck, or use a different inhaler or ant-depressant for a while, that's better than being labelled a doper for the rest of your career

I could be wrong

Quote Reply
Re: 4yr ban for Shelby Houlihan [innohurry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Guilty as charged. This is a lame ass excuse. They're grabbing at straws. She should admit she doped. Popped hot and got caught. End of story.

BTW she does look crazy jacked. In one pic on Insta she is flexing beside a dude. I know she is a professional athlete, but good gracious her body doesn't look natural. That is probably because it isn't natural.
Quote Reply
Re: 4yr ban for Shelby Houlihan [Raw Vegan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Raw Vegan wrote:
Guilty as charged. This is a lame ass excuse. They're grabbing at straws. She should admit she doped. Popped hot and got caught. End of story.

BTW she does look crazy jacked. In one pic on Insta she is flexing beside a dude. I know she is a professional athlete, but good gracious her body doesn't look natural. That is probably because it isn't natural.

The whole thing makes me sad.
And I was in denial at first.

But this.

She does look jacked. Much more so than her teammates and competitors.

Maybe it's just her.
Quote Reply
Re: 4yr ban for Shelby Houlihan [jeremyscarroll] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jeremyscarroll wrote:

this is typical of doping busts. and course cutting. and every other bad act. proximity to (person knowledge of) a person causes you to consider the person innocent. distance (if you don't know the person) causes you to consider the person guilty. i promise you that those of her teammates who're posting support consider some other poor slob, who posts in support of somebody he or she knows, "in league with the dopers." to me, it's not a reflection of guilt or innocence, it's just human nature.

i do find it highly unlikely the coach had not heard of nandrolone. there were lots of busts for this, in T&F. merlene ottey. linford christie. our own spencer smith returned a positive sample (spencer however was cleared at CAS). a whole bunch of positives for this right around 1998 and 99 (and shortly thereafter). there was a problem with the test, initially, because there was no threshold. that was later changed, and a threshold instituted.

i guess i'd like to know what the amount was, in her system. there have been cases in the past, experiments where people were given nandrolone tainted meat, and i'd like to know what the percentages were in those cases, if metabolites were found.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: 4yr ban for Shelby Houlihan [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have no clue if she is guilty or not, but the statement put out by Jerry and BTC did not help her cause at all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
jeremyscarroll wrote:

this is typical of doping busts. and course cutting. and every other bad act. proximity to (person knowledge of) a person causes you to consider the person innocent. distance (if you don't know the person) causes you to consider the person guilty. i promise you that those of her teammates who're posting support consider some other poor slob, who posts in support of somebody he or she knows, "in league with the dopers." to me, it's not a reflection of guilt or innocence, it's just human nature.

i do find it highly unlikely the coach had not heard of nandrolone. there were lots of busts for this, in T&F. merlene ottey. linford christie. our own spencer smith returned a positive sample (spencer however was cleared at CAS). a whole bunch of positives for this right around 1998 and 99 (and shortly thereafter). there was a problem with the test, initially, because there was no threshold. that was later changed, and a threshold instituted.

i guess i'd like to know what the amount was, in her system. there have been cases in the past, experiments where people were given nandrolone tainted meat, and i'd like to know what the percentages were in those cases, if metabolites were found.

i believe i have read that it was double the threshold

that is one big ass burrito.
Last edited by: jkhayc: Jun 15, 21 8:03
Quote Reply
Re: 4yr ban for Shelby Houlihan [Velocibuddha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Velocibuddha wrote:
Raw Vegan wrote:

The whole thing makes me sad.
And I was in denial at first.

But this.

She does look jacked. Much more so than her teammates and competitors.

Maybe it's just her.

Jacked + crazy eyes + tattoos

My kinda girl

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well we all know how elite female distance runners frequently gorge themselves on massive servings of burritos filled with 4000 calories worth of internal organs... So many over-eating disorders in the sport due to societal and coaching pressure to be big enough to win a sumo match....

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So as a potential Olympic athlete, just weeks from the trials, she ate from a roadside food truck not knowing what she was really eating or what was in it? Assuming this food truck is/was regularly at this place why not track it down and get some analysis done on what she ate/where the vendor got it from etc? Might not have prevented a ban but may have reduced the length?
Last edited by: Joss1965: Jun 15, 21 8:49
Quote Reply
Re: 4yr ban for Shelby Houlihan [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
Jacked + crazy eyes + tattoos

My kinda girl

Beaverton Street Burrito? BSB?
Quote Reply
Re: 4yr ban for Shelby Houlihan [Joss1965] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Joss1965 wrote:
So as a potential Olympic athlete, just weeks from the trials, she ate from a roadside food truck not knowing what she was really eating or what was in it? Assuming this food truck is/was regularly at this place why not track it down and get some analysis done on what she ate/where the vendor got it from etc? Might not have prevented a ban but may have reduced the length? I suspect we all know why she didn't do that.

She was tested in Mid December 2020, so not quite weeks from the trials. It is now just coming to a conclusion and the hammer dropped on her.
Quote Reply
Re: 4yr ban for Shelby Houlihan [Joss1965] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Joss1965 wrote:
Assuming this food truck is/was regularly at this place why not track it down

Didn't you see the movie Chef [Jon Favreau, John Leguizamo, Scarlett Johanssen]? That truck could be long gone and back to Florida by the time the failed test was revealed

Maybe even changed hands a couple of times

Quote Reply

Prev Next