Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: CDC said off with the mask if [Clutch Cargo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So, how will we recognize the anti-mask fucktards?

I guess the Karens will no longer need to speak to the manager when they get tossed from Walmart for NOT wearing their masks

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: CDC said off with the mask if [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thom wrote:
Question for those that have decided to forego the vaccine, will you be following the CDC guideline to continue wearing a mask?

That was rhetorical and meant to be in pink font, right?

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: CDC said off with the mask if [zed707] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zed707 wrote:

The great news is that this illustrates how well the vaccines are working in preventing serious illness.

That's the point that many people seem to miss: vaccines prevent disease, not infection.

Given the insane transmissibility of the new Indian variant, the vaccine(s) might not be nearly as effective at stopping transmission as we'd hope for in a society with so many anti-vaxxers.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: CDC said off with the mask if [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:

That's the point that many people seem to miss: vaccines prevent disease, not infection.

Depends on the vaccine. Some vaccines are sterilizing (none of the COVID ones have demonstrated that, to my knowledge, but some vaccines for other diseases have demonstrated that).

I think there's evidence that some of the COVID vaccines seriously reduce transmission.
Last edited by: trail: May 13, 21 15:39
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
zed707 wrote:

The great news is that this illustrates how well the vaccines are working in preventing serious illness.

Given the insane transmissibility of the new Indian variant, the vaccine(s) might not be nearly as effective at stopping transmission as we'd hope for in a society with so many anti-vaxxers.

This is the exact problem the UK is now very worried about.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
zed707 wrote:

Well not quite.

Just because it's super transmissible doesn't mean much. It just means you are more likely to encounter the virus. If the vaccine is working well, the virus you get in you gets wiped out by your immune system before it starts doing much damage, or rises to the level at which you start breathing it out onto others.
Quote Reply
Re: CDC said off with the mask if [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
Thom wrote:
Question for those that have decided to forego the vaccine, will you be following the CDC guideline to continue wearing a mask?

That was rhetorical and meant to be in pink font, right?

There are anti-vaxxers out there now saying they’re going to start wearing masks to protect them from the “poison” being shed by those who’ve had the vaccine and are now starting to stop wearing masks. There will always be a more stupid iteration of this story.

"Are you sure we're going fast enough?" - Emil Zatopek
Quote Reply
Re: CDC said off with the mask if [g_lev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
g_lev wrote:
PA is following the CDC and alllowing everyone vaccinated to go unmasked as of right now. Suddenly everyone who was antivax I bet is fully vaccinated as of today.

I’m not good with this sudden change. I was banking on a slower rollout

Nashville is the same as of tomorrow. I will be interested to hear what the Preds say when they are planning to have 12,000 people at games 3 and 4 of the Stanley Cup playoffs next week. I may rethink my tickets depending on their answer.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: CDC said off with the mask if [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have gotten my 2 shots and am 3 weeks post second shot. I will continue to wear my mask until I feel that more people have gotten the shot. I also will continue to avoid people until my daughter is fully vaccinated (first shot now Saturday, previously appt. for Tuesday). I've gone this long being safe, why fuck that up????
Quote Reply
Re: CDC said off with the mask if [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ironclm wrote:
g_lev wrote:
PA is following the CDC and alllowing everyone vaccinated to go unmasked as of right now. Suddenly everyone who was antivax I bet is fully vaccinated as of today.

I’m not good with this sudden change. I was banking on a slower rollout

Nashville is the same as of tomorrow. I will be interested to hear what the Preds say when they are planning to have 12,000 people at games 3 and 4 of the Stanley Cup playoffs next week. I may rethink my tickets depending on their answer.

You vaccinated?
Quote Reply
Re: CDC said off with the mask if [velocomp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
velocomp wrote:
I have gotten my 2 shots and am 3 weeks post second shot. I will continue to wear my mask until I feel that more people have gotten the shot. I also will continue to avoid people until my daughter is fully vaccinated (first shot now Saturday, previously appt. for Tuesday). I've gone this long being safe, why fuck that up????

I feel sorry for you, living in such fear.

I miss YaHey
Quote Reply
Re: CDC said off with the mask if [Justgeorge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Justgeorge wrote:
velocomp wrote:

I know right, all those people wearing seatbelts, living in fear.
Quote Reply
Re: CDC said off with the mask if [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chaparral wrote:
Justgeorge wrote:
velocomp wrote:

Do you walk around your house wearing a helmet? If not why not?

I bet you wear a mask while driving by yourself in your car, or walking your dog outside by yourself.

I miss YaHey
Last edited by: Justgeorge: May 13, 21 17:47
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Justgeorge wrote:
chaparral wrote:
Justgeorge wrote:
velocomp wrote:

Exactly, no seat belts or helmets for me, I don't live in fear!!!!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you the difference between why the CDC was recommended wearing a mask indoors prior to this and why they recommend wearing a seatbelt? The former was based on caution until data was generated to show that it wasn’t needed. The later is based on data showing that it is needed.

If the scientific community came out with a consensus position that wearing seatbelts and helmets did not significantly impact one’s chances of injury in an accident, would you continue to use them?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Justgeorge wrote:
velocomp wrote:

I suppose you could claim fear. I would characterize his action as mature considerate compassion for his family.
Quote Reply
Re: CDC said off with the mask if [SDG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Now it is official

Pactimo brand ambassador, ask me about promo codes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
velocomp wrote:

I don't have to wear a mask but my two little kids do. I'm not going to walk into a store with them masked and me not. Just like I wear a bike helmet around the block with them, so they feel comfortable as a family.
Quote Reply
Re: CDC said off with the mask if [gofigure] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gofigure wrote:
Justgeorge wrote:
velocomp wrote:

I suppose you could claim fear. I would characterize his action as mature considerate compassion for his family.

I think the venn diagram of people that won't live in fear by wearing a mask and feel being armed for a trip to Walmart for safety is reasonable is damn near a circle
Quote Reply
Re: CDC said off with the mask if [torrey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
torrey wrote:
Do you the difference between why the CDC was recommended wearing a mask indoors prior to this and why they recommend wearing a seatbelt? The former was based on caution until data was generated to show that it wasn’t needed. The later is based on data showing that it is needed.

If the scientific community came out with a consensus position that wearing seatbelts and helmets did not significantly impact one’s chances of injury in an accident, would you continue to use them?

After the past year, it is not suprising that people are more cautious to change behavior. Especially this behavior that is very little effort and does not harm others. So being feeling cautious here is not a big deal and I don't think it is crazy. This is very different than at the start of the pandemic where masks became a thing, because in that instance the effort was low for the individual and the affect on the public was huge, so it made sense to force people to move fast.

I think your example would illustrate this. If the CDC came out right now and said seatbelts are not needed, would you immediately stop using them? Or do you think it would be transition over time as you got comfortable doing it?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
velocomp wrote:

I'm three months post second shot and if anybody has anything to say about my mask, they can come and take it!

Kids get their first shots next week(possibly tomorrow) and people are nasty, so I will keep masking in any environment I choose until I don't want to anymore.

Going to take me awhile to give it up.
Quote Reply
Re: CDC said off with the mask if [Clutch Cargo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm going to keep masking up when I go into stores for a week or two, just to see how this plays out. I don't know if Costco, for example, is going to drop all mask requirements/recommendations tomorrow. This is new.

And I'm not going to burn my masks. I'm keeping them just in case. I didn't know that I would ever need them not too long ago.
Quote Reply
Re: CDC said off with the mask if [zed707] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I asked my hairdresser if she will wear a mask once the guidance comes out. She said she would just to be safe. I will absolutely wear mine when getting a haircut from her to make her feel comfortable and as some have said this causes zero hassle for me. I just see it as the respectful thing to do.
Quote Reply
Re: CDC said off with the mask if [triguy101] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I went the entire winter without any colds or runny noses or anything like that... I also wasn't going to the pool and I was being somewhat careful about staying in my "bubble" of acquaintances (and social distancing when I was outside of my bubble), so there are a few complicating factors in there, but... I wish I'd tried this out when I was doing triathlons. Losing a few days of good training a few times a year probably would've mattered to me back then...

My initial feeling on this is that the mask bothers me less than the colds, and I'm not super vain or narcissistic, so I don't care too much about what people think about my appearance... I think I'm going to keep on wearing masks even after I'm vaccinated.

Denizens of the LR: With the exception of the occasional odd look I might receive from someone I don't know (and whose opinion is probably not particularly meaningful to me), is there any reason to think that adopting this behavior WON'T make my life quantifiably better?
Last edited by: trois_pample: May 14, 21 3:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chaparral wrote:
Justgeorge wrote:
chaparral wrote:
Justgeorge wrote:
velocomp wrote:

Exactly, no seat belts or helmets for me, I don't live in fear!!!!!!!

Doesn’t the beeping of the seat belt alarm drive you crazy?
Quote Reply

Prev Next