Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: News Article RE:IMLP — doesn’t look great ] [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought I had heard Northwoods school for transition?
Quote Reply
Re: News Article RE:IMLP — doesn’t look great ] [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericlambi wrote:
Just a couple other details posted from the same guy ...
- vaccination may be required of all participants, volunteers, and ... spectators(?)
- IM village at the horse grounds

I don’t get how they could consider vaccination requirements for spectators, maybe in some specific area? What’s that going to mean for kids? Also, how are they going to check vaccinations? My card from Walgreens would be the easiest thing to forge in the world.

I'd think this is perfect for all spouses. NO, I'm not vaccinated. Guess I'll have to stay at the pool.

And would you really forge a card to watch an IM?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
So I stand corrected it sounds very much so like this race is going to happen. Having listened to the meeting the only questions I really have is how are they going to cut 20% and where will transition be they talk about where they're going to exit the water and how to manage that but they don't specifically talk about transition unless I missed it.

Maybe they offer deferral to other races.
Quote Reply
Re: News Article RE:IMLP — doesn’t look great ] [charlietris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
charlietris wrote:

That would make sense.

Now as for cutting 20% how do they do that. And I was trying to figure out when listening to that meeting who was saying that there's going to be a lot of unhappy people I'm assuming that was the race director in regards to how they're going to chop 20% off. And does that 20% already take into account people from Canada who won't be able to cross the border???
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
charlietris wrote:

That would make sense.

Now as for cutting 20% how do they do that. And I was trying to figure out when listening to that meeting who was saying that there's going to be a lot of unhappy people I'm assuming that was the race director in regards to how they're going to chop 20% off. And does that 20% already take into account people from Canada who won't be able to cross the border???

The way I understood him was that they'll get their 20% through cancellations of people who want to defer, are to worried about racing/travelling etc. He seemed to indicate the numbers were already down due to this effect.
Quote Reply
Re: News Article RE:IMLP — doesn’t look great ] [WHITEJM74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WHITEJM74 wrote:
Fishbum wrote:
charlietris wrote:

That would make sense.

The way I understood him was that they'll get their 20% through cancellations of people who want to defer, are to worried about racing/travelling etc. He seemed to indicate the numbers were already down due to this effect.

Yeah I heard that but I was also having a hard time with the audio I kind of was under the impression that they wanted more than just that. Like I said I kept hearing him say there's going to be a lot of unhappy people which made me think there's going to be extra cuts made but again that audio was tough.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It would be pretty crazy if IM contacted people to say that they were cut from the race...yikes!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
charlietris wrote:

So what would that mean for the swim . . .

- A shortened loop that you do ~2.5 times?
- Different entry point?
- Crazy long T1 run?
- Other?

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was confused on the numbers. Thought he said they limited signups to 2400 and were expecting 20% to drop, getting them below 2000. But the recent athlete list has ~3000 names i think, and that's not including the pro field.
Quote Reply
Re: News Article RE:IMLP — doesn’t look great ] [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericlambi wrote:
charlietris wrote:

So what would that mean for the swim . . .

- A shortened loop that you do ~2.5 times?
- Different entry point?
- Crazy long T1 run?
- Other?

I commented the below on this a few pages back:

- Also putting T1/T2 at the School will also, assumingly, eliminate the traffic pattern/detour to the Northway causing even more of a complete mess in/around Lake Place in race day.

- Trying to think where they would exit on the far end of the lake. Most to the right side is private property, i believe. There is the canoe/kayak launch, but that is way to narrow. The hotels on the far end/left side but then the racers would be running at least a mile to the T1 at the School. This would also eliminate a lot more street parking, making it even worse.

Quote Reply
Re: News Article RE:IMLP — doesn’t look great ] [SayHey Kid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes...no matter what, if they use Northwoods school, that makes for a very loooonggg transition run to t1. But, I can see where the large athletic fields would be an obvious place for transition.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone have a couch I can sleep on?
Quote Reply
Re: News Article RE:IMLP — doesn’t look great ] [LifeTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LifeTri wrote:
Anyone have a couch I can sleep on?

If it's just you coming and not the whole family - and you can convince my wife to allow it - I have a couch.

(I think the two guest beds are spoken for already)

That kinda assumes my septic disaster is fixed by then. If it's not, well, we have bigger problems to worry about than this race
Last edited by: g_lev: May 13, 21 7:43
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:

it would seem to me that the race field would sort of self-seed, esp if proof of vaccination was required. in our own poll, more than 20 percent said they are not in favor of a vaccine passport. so, you may have close to or more than 20 percent defer to another race.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: News Article RE:IMLP — doesn’t look great ] [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very true... But just because they're not in favor of it doesn't mean they're not willing to get vaccinated to race . It will be interesting to see how they handle this
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
Very true... But just because they're not in favor of it doesn't mean they're not willing to get vaccinated to race . It will be interesting to see how they handle this

yeah. i just would wager that if the canadians have a problem attending, and the vaccine passport objectors defer, and if you allow others to defer who just haven't been able to get into the pool, you'll solve your 20 percent problem. for that reason, if i'm IM i don't stress about the 20 percent reduction. of all the problems, that will (i believe) turn out to be the simplest problem.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
Fishbum wrote:

it would seem to me that the race field would sort of self-seed, esp if proof of vaccination was required. in our own poll, more than 20 percent said they are not in favor of a vaccine passport. so, you may have close to or more than 20 percent defer to another race.

Also almost no Canadians would be fully vaccinated by the IMLP date and our border will be shut for vehicular crossing. So the only way will be to fly to a US airport and then rent a car and fly back and 2 week quarantine, but you still won't be able to race IMLP on single dose. So almost no Canadians will be able to attend
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah sounds like a good point.

I guess we will have a definitive answer before too long from lake Placid but that meeting sure sounds like it's going off
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hell, I'm vaccinated, have no objections to vaccine passports, and have access to swim training. Hell I even have a house in LP. But I will gladly defer because my body isn't responding to training the way I want it to and am not convinced I can complete right now.

If they give me a chance to defer I will take it and let someone have my slot. I am not sure they will let me do it since I am registered as a voluntary deferral from last year after St George was cancelled (this was days before all the COVID madness started).
Quote Reply
Re: News Article RE:IMLP — doesn’t look great ] [g_lev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bet they allow people in your situation another year of deferral. However, I do not think they will let someone else take your spot when you defer. It sounds like in order for the village board to approve the race they want to see fewer athletes. The question is how low do they need to go in order to make the board happy? 1900? 1500?
Quote Reply
Re: News Article RE:IMLP — doesn’t look great ] [mkb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mkb wrote:
I bet they allow people in your situation another year of deferral. However, I do not think they will let someone else take your spot when you defer. It sounds like in order for the village board to approve the race they want to see fewer athletes. The question is how low do they need to go in order to make the board happy? 1900? 1500?

By "take my spot" I mean someone currently registered who wants to race. It sounds like they need to reduce the number of people racing. I will gladly volunteer to defer another year so that someone else can race. (Assuming the alternative is for IM to just say "we need to reduce capacity and sorry you were randomly selected to not race this year")
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ahh gotcha. Hopefully others will be just as generous as you!
Quote Reply
Re: News Article RE:IMLP — doesn’t look great ] [SayHey Kid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Northwoods School has property on Mirror Lake directly across from the school which they use for a boathouse. I assume water in/out would be there and swim would start/end from the opposite side of the Lake.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
g_lev wrote:
Hell, I'm vaccinated, have no objections to vaccine passports, and have access to swim training. Hell I even have a house in LP. But I will gladly defer because my body isn't responding to training the way I want it to and am not convinced I can complete right now.

If they give me a chance to defer I will take it and let someone have my slot. I am not sure they will let me do it since I am registered as a voluntary deferral from last year after St George was cancelled (this was days before all the COVID madness started).

I’m pretty sure IM will let anyone defer from any WTC race. All you have to do is email them. I didn’t feel comfortable traveling to 70.3 Chatty as I knew I wouldn’t be fully vaccinated by then, so I emailed them in March and they let me defer until 2022 no questions asked.

So for those of you on the fence… please do email and request a deferral. Let’s get those numbers down so those of us who are ready can race.
Quote Reply
Re: News Article RE:IMLP — doesn’t look great ] [wintershade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wintershade wrote:
g_lev wrote:

I’m pretty sure IM will let anyone defer from any WTC race. All you have to do is email them. I didn’t feel comfortable traveling to 70.3 Chatty as I knew I wouldn’t be fully vaccinated by then, so I emailed them in March and they let me defer until 2022 no questions asked.

So for those of you on the fence… please do email and request a deferral. Let’s get those numbers down so those of us who are ready can race.

I am wondering if this is the way to go with how everything has gone for me over the last 16 or so months. I want to be ready for WC's and am not sure if this will just dig the hole too much trying to get fit enough in the next two months and then doing the event. Wondering if an Olympic distance/70.3 focus makes more sense.

EDIT: Just sent the email requesting a transfer to 2022.
Last edited by: LifeTri: May 17, 21 7:26
Quote Reply

Prev Next