Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Burnsville NC gravel cycling
Quote | Reply
This may be a long shot but curious if anyone has any suggestions for gravel cycling routes, out the door, near Burnsville, NC???

Iā€™m supposed to be racing a 50k trail race but a rolled ankle may prevent me from running. My cabin is non-refundable, so that means Iā€™ll be in the area regardless, and I thought ā€œif I canā€™t run then maybe Iā€™ll see if I can get some cycling doneā€.

I looked at gravelmap and MTB project but wanted first person ST accounts, if any available. Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Burnsville NC gravel cycling [EyeRunMD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think that Wilson's Creek to the east and Hot Springs to the west may be about as close as you'll get.

Janyne
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's some good riding in the Cherokee National Forest, but that's not out the door.

Or take your road bike and ride up Mt. Mitchell.

Burnsville is kind of an oddball, not really anywhere place in NC, so you'll probably have to drive a little.

Don't know if this is what you looked at, but there's some really good trails no more than 20 miles away:
https://fatmap.com/guidebooks/9903/the-pisgah:-10-must-do-gravel-rides-to-explore-western-nc/@35.7043603,-82.8579132,205157.4583140,-90,0,1169.3842919,satellite
Quote Reply
Re: Burnsville NC gravel cycling [ayontz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ayontz wrote:
There's some good riding in the Cherokee National Forest, but that's not out the door.

Or take your road bike and ride up Mt. Mitchell.

Burnsville is kind of an oddball, not really anywhere place in NC, so you'll probably have to drive a little.

Don't know if this is what you looked at, but there's some really good trails no more than 20 miles away:
https://fatmap.com/guidebooks/9903/the-pisgah:-10-must-do-gravel-rides-to-explore-western-nc/@35.7043603,-82.8579132,205157.4583140,-90,0,1169.3842919,satellite

Wow, fatmap is so cool. Love how you can rotate to look at the peaks and valleys. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For future reference, just in case anyone else may ever get curious, thereā€™s a good bit of gravel fairly close by. About 12 miles south of Burnsville is the Mt Mitchell golf course. South Toe River Road is what you need to be looking for. It starts as paved but quickly turns to gravel, and runs to the Blue Ridge Parkway. From there, you can find Curtis Creek Road (another gravel route). Beautiful area
Quote Reply