Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: News Article RE:IMLP — doesn’t look great [jt10000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok let's move on. I was just trying to focus on the general scenario. Mainly I hope the psychology of politicians changes early enough to allow for racing in the summer where Covid19 is sufficiently suppressed.
Quote Reply
Re: News Article RE:IMLP — doesn’t look great [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don’t apologize Dev, you are one of the most respected people on Slowtwitch.
We know what you meant. Let the crybaby libs sit inside and nitpick with masks on, WE will just train our asses off and be ready when the politicians (paid or not) give us the green light.
Last edited by: Tjbluestreak: Apr 25, 21 16:55
Quote Reply
Re: News Article RE:IMLP — doesn’t look great [Tjbluestreak] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tjbluestreak wrote:
You gathered that in the less than two weeks you been registered on ST?
Tjbluestreak wrote:
We know what you meant. Let the crybaby libs sit inside and nitpick with masks on, WE will just train our asses off and be ready when the politicians (paid or not) give us the green light.
Ah, Troll with bold. Gotcha ya.
Quote Reply
Re: News Article RE:IMLP — doesn’t look great [Tjbluestreak] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tjbluestreak wrote:

You’re doing a lot of editorializing with Dev’s post about stuff he never said, dickhead.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: News Article RE:IMLP — doesn’t look great [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey guys, can we just move on. Most everyone wants to get back to some racing including LP. Almost all of that is at the whim of politicians allowing for racing in towns they control. We need politicians to mentally be ready for that. When and how they are ready, well, that's not in our hands, so let's hope they feel that outdoor sport and having people from out of town is a good thing at the right point and if it happens to align with when we want to race, that would be awesome. I believe Dan Funk was trying to allude to some of that in general terms.
Quote Reply
Re: News Article RE:IMLP — doesn’t look great [Dan Funk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dan Funk wrote:
Waingro wrote:
Within a month, most people will be back to work and be vaccinated. Unless the people of LP want to kill off this event for other reasons, it should take place.

Don't think it's that simple. Unfortunately, from the looks of things, US may only get to 50-60% of adult population vaccinated... because huge % of people showing they won't get a shot. That's just going to push back things.

I hope people get to race at LP. But it seems pretty tough (I'm not local, don't have inside information, this just speculation):

• We will not have magical "great news, this this is over" in next 30, 60, 90 days. If someone (local politician) who wants to read/find data/opinion pieces to show holding a race will be potentially devastating to a local venue, they will be able to do so.
  • Tourist spots are heaving. They have been heaving. Again, not local, but read the news regarding Lake Placid. They were fully booked last summer. They've had huge numbers of tourists this spring. The town, residents, property owners aren't going to lose money by not holding IM this year. What's worse, and I've seen this in a couple tourist spots where we own property - locals are resentful for last 12 months...because they believe people have run over their towns to "get away from COVID" and as result... have brought there.
  • This is just my speculation...but if you think about psychology of local government officials... if the town is heaving, what incentive do they have to hold large events? The only people who really benefit are the out-of-towners who come in and race... and then leave. Just adding to the headaches of people in the town right now. Worse, IF there is a demonstrable spike in infections... then they have to eat sh*t about it. Why risk that? Finally, in locations like LP, they know IM will be back.

The opposite of this is a race like Tulsa. OF COURSE, they will hold this race. As red a state as can be. A city that needs people to come to it. An event that is launching that needs to do whatever it can to launch.

In my opinion - this is where 2021 is going to be frustratingly asymmetrical. Some people will race. And some won't. And it won't seem fair.

Best post so far. And what I highlighted above is probably very true. The pool where I swim is located in a very popular ski town and locals are very tired of all the city people fleeing covid and coming to our state in droves (trying to move here too! ugh). There is a lot of resentment from locals (heck, myself included). We saw massive amounts of out-of-state plates all year long, even when covid was at it's worst.

And having trained and raced in LP (I live a few hours away) we got a taste of how some of the locals feel about the triathletes. My husband had a bad incident with a local rural man in a pick up truck while running on the race course during a training weekend. Police were involved and we even felt that law enforcement didn't care much for all the triathletes training there every weekend. While there is a lot of support for IMLP and the volunteers are awesome, I always felt many of the locals would be happy to see the Ironman not return. But that is just my perception as well with a few other triathletes who have done the race many times.

That all being said, I hope it happens. The selfish side of me watches closely as this might indicate if my 70.3 in Geneva NY will get it's state permit for use of the state park (musselman).

Death is easy....peaceful. Life is harder.
Quote Reply
Re: News Article RE:IMLP — doesn’t look great [Triingtotrain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm also from NY, near LP and have spent some time there. Sorry to hear of your incident. Although, I would venture that while there will always be some a-hole locals who don't want ironmen and ironwomen to invade their otherwise quiet area during the summer for racing/training, it's only the negative incidents that make headlines (or result in a story like yours). No one will come up to you during a run or pull alongside during a ride and say "thanks for all the economic input to the town, train on!". I think there's many smart people up there who understand the benefit the tourism provide, but it's only the bad apples that are heard so it skews the true perception. What the ratio of love/hate is, that's the real question.

I'm very interested to see what happens with racing in NY/northeast this year. i was in for the escape the cape race in NJ for this year (early june), and they already postponed that like a month ago. I was shocked, i really thought that one was going to go on (seeing the beaches there last year, it's a joke that they won't let a triathlon happen a year and many vaccinations later...). every race is going to be different. the comment about there being no consistency was right on. it's gunna be a weird year.
Quote Reply
Re: News Article RE:IMLP — doesn’t look great [PBT_2009] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PBT_2009 wrote:
I'm also from NY, near LP and have spent some time there. Sorry to hear of your incident. Although, I would venture that while there will always be some a-hole locals who don't want ironmen and ironwomen to invade their otherwise quiet area during the summer for racing/training, it's only the negative incidents that make headlines (or result in a story like yours). No one will come up to you during a run or pull alongside during a ride and say "thanks for all the economic input to the town, train on!". I think there's many smart people up there who understand the benefit the tourism provide, but it's only the bad apples that are heard so it skews the true perception. What the ratio of love/hate is, that's the real question.

I'm very interested to see what happens with racing in NY/northeast this year. i was in for the escape the cape race in NJ for this year (early june), and they already postponed that like a month ago. I was shocked, i really thought that one was going to go on (seeing the beaches there last year, it's a joke that they won't let a triathlon happen a year and many vaccinations later...). every race is going to be different. the comment about there being no consistency was right on. it's gunna be a weird year.

Thanks for the post. That one bad incident was most likely an outlier. But because it happened to my husband, he has not had a desire to return and race there. It really soured his perception of the whole area sadly. I would like to race there again.

I'm surprised to learn of NJ races being postponed. I'm racing IMMD in September. It's a conservative area (most vote red). So thinking it will happen. Fingers crossed.

Death is easy....peaceful. Life is harder.
Quote Reply
Re: News Article RE:IMLP — doesn’t look great [Triingtotrain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
most of the run course isn't busy/sketchy to train on if you ask me, so the fact the incident happened there is a bummer. The bike course has some busy/sketchy sections as far as traffic, most of it I personally wouldn't be willing to ride if it was midday during the summer season. i would say, there are many roads to ride/run on up there off the course which are excellent and probably overlooked by us since we all have a desire to "ride the course". Seeking alternative roads may mitigate the risk of encountering a disgruntled local, maybe. just in case you explore the idea of going there to train again. my knowledge of LP is paltry compared to others on here, I'm sure if you searched the forums or asked you could get a ton of good suggestions to enjoy the area.
Quote Reply
Re: News Article RE:IMLP — doesn’t look great [Dan Funk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dan Funk wrote:

• Tourist spots are heaving. They have been heaving. Again, not local, but read the news regarding Lake Placid. They were fully booked last summer. They've had huge numbers of tourists this spring. The town, residents, property owners aren't going to lose money by not holding IM this year. What's worse, and I've seen this in a couple tourist spots where we own property - locals are resentful for last 12 months...because they believe people have run over their towns to "get away from COVID" and as result... have brought there..

As far as this goes, I have been going to LP many times a year for 25+ years in every season. LP absolutely does not need IM. We were there twice last summer and it was the busiest I can ever recall. As mentioned many times, I can't even fathom how that can put on IM this year, with restaurant capacity restrictions (don't see NYS being at 100% in 90 days), Main St being tore up, no Olympic Oval/construction, etc.

Anyway, to the bold. Places like LP has a point. Currently Essex County is 41% full vaccinated whereas the NYS is a 31% fully vaccinated, with (I assume) a municipality like LP being much higher than the 41% as opposed to many areas of the County that is very rural.
Quote Reply
Re: News Article RE:IMLP — doesn’t look great [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On the positive news front, they just added a pro field to the event.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Re: News Article RE:IMLP — doesn’t look great [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just got an email from IMLP with this option to book an entry (I am on standby list):

https://www.nirvanaeurope.com/...placid/race-entry-57

I anticipate that I would be fully vaccinated by then, but I don't even know the status of the land border from Canada that I would have to drive across should the event happen. Furthermore I have no idea what the quarantine requirements will be then even if vaccinated.

Oh and there is this tiny thing called actually training for an Ironman!!! But it got me thinking for sure.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is some loophole if you fly in to the states. I don’t know the specifics. It will be totally worth it though so you should do it! Plenty of time to train.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not to always be the skeptical one but I'm seriously losing faith in this race happening this year.
Quote Reply
Re: News Article RE:IMLP — doesn’t look great [mkb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mkb wrote:
There is some loophole if you fly in to the states. I don’t know the specifics. It will be totally worth it though so you should do it! Plenty of time to train.

I have a soft sport for IMLP. I did it 10 times in its first 11 years and an 11th time in 2013. It would be cool to do it as I have not done an Ironman in 6 years and this year is 15 years since my first KQ at IMLP 2006.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://www.cnbc.com/...rcent-on-july-1.html

If the city is opening, it makes me wonder what the rest of the state will do.
Quote Reply
Re: News Article RE:IMLP — doesn’t look great [LifeTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Buffalo marathon (one month prior to LP) just got the seal of approval from the governor today.
Quote Reply
Re: News Article RE:IMLP — doesn’t look great [LifeTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LifeTri wrote:
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/04/29/new-york-city-mayor-bill-de-blasio-says-the-city-will-re-open-100percent-on-july-1.html

If the city is opening, it makes me wonder what the rest of the state will do.

Hopefully that's a good sign races will happen in NY this summer.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a local and have done the race numerous times. However, it's gonna be annoying for the athletes if it happens this year. Construction is in full swing. Main St. is being ripped apart, but it will be on pause during July and August. Unfortunately they're going to store the construction vehicles in the parking lots around town. Parking is a major issue if you're not staying in town, more so this year. The Oval is also off limits this year due to construction. Swim will start in the usual area, but the course will be in the shape of a weird paperclip. You'll exit at the far end of the lake, and run to transition which is at Northwood School. So transition is about 1.5 miles from the start. No changing tents this year. Finish line is the parking lot across from the post office. Finish line also might not have catchers. You may be tripping over bodies once you cross. Especially if we get one of those hot days that always seems to show up on race day.

I understand wanting to race this year, but it could be a disappointing venue this year. In my opinion (with the pandemic, NY politics, logistic nightmare from construction) I still give the race a 50/50 chance of happening. The Tupper Lake Tinman which happens the month before is virtual this year. The Lake Placid Marathon (which the race director owns) was moved from June to September.

I was also told it's all or nothing. Meaning it's a full race or it's not happening. Hopefully the Canadian border opens soon.
Quote Reply
Re: News Article RE:IMLP — doesn’t look great [exerciseaddict] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This all sounds awesome. Bring it on. Let’s race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the updates. With transition and finish at the oval it kinda loses some of the magic. Would feel like Kona with no finish on Alii beside the ocean and some random finish line a few blocks away.

Anyway regardless of all that I hope it happens. I did 50km biking and 12km running and 6km on rowing machine today on a work day. Solid day that felt like training for actual racing vs just exercising. If I get to race at any venue it will be a bonus. I hope you guys all have a full throttle event !
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
exerciseaddict wrote:
I'm a local and have done the race numerous times. However, it's gonna be annoying for the athletes if it happens this year. Construction is in full swing. Main St. is being ripped apart, but it will be on pause during July and August. Unfortunately they're going to store the construction vehicles in the parking lots around town. Parking is a major issue if you're not staying in town, more so this year. The Oval is also off limits this year due to construction. Swim will start in the usual area, but the course will be in the shape of a weird paperclip. You'll exit at the far end of the lake, and run to transition which is at Northwood School. So transition is about 1.5 miles from the start. No changing tents this year. Finish line is the parking lot across from the post office. Finish line also might not have catchers. You may be tripping over bodies once you cross. Especially if we get one of those hot days that always seems to show up on race day.

I understand wanting to race this year, but it could be a disappointing venue this year. In my opinion (with the pandemic, NY politics, logistic nightmare from construction) I still give the race a 50/50 chance of happening. The Tupper Lake Tinman which happens the month before is virtual this year. The Lake Placid Marathon (which the race director owns) was moved from June to September.

I was also told it's all or nothing. Meaning it's a full race or it's not happening. Hopefully the Canadian border opens soon.

What a mess it will be if it goes off.

Trying to think where they would exit on the far end of the lake. Most to the right side is private property, i believe. There is the canoe/kayak launch, but that is way to narrow

The hotels on the far end/left side but then the racers would be running at least a mile to the T1 at the School. This would also eliminate a lot more street parking, making it even worse
Quote Reply
Re: News Article RE:IMLP — doesn’t look great [SayHey Kid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was wondering why you would not just put T1 on half of Mirror Lake drive or even half of main street. 2.5 hrs later you just sweep up that transition. But from what I recall the main street is closed anyway so you cuold just leave it there on half the street
Quote Reply
Re: News Article RE:IMLP — doesn’t look great [SayHey Kid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We are staying near the oval in town and we were scheduled to pay the remainder of the hotel bill last month. We were told to hold off by the hotel because they are having a meeting in mid May (I believe it's the 12th) to make a decision. I am not saying this will mean a go/no-go but it should give us a little more clarification.

Did anyone else have this same experience?

14X Ironman. Still slow but working on it.
Quote Reply
Re: News Article RE:IMLP — doesn’t look great [dcfan40] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hampton inn pushed the cancellation window back one month from April 23 to May 23. I’m hopeful this meeting we are hearing about will result in a go/no go answer. Obviously things can change, but if NY state is approving the state fair/medium sized marathons there is no reason we can’t have an answer.
Quote Reply

Prev Next